Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA investigating every sports program from every school past present and future?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cal for example is $19 million in the hole each year

Few football programs make money

Comment

So all these schools are running football teams out there out of the goodness of their heart?

Either way, the NCAA is making a fortune off of these guys and is angry when someone gets more than they deem necessary for them. If you want to start cracking on guys for wanting nice things, don't take the boatloads of money you are making and horde it to yourself and pretend the scholarship you gave a player is anywhere near hurting the bottom line.

NCAA football is a freaking cash cow, give me a break.
      Originally posted by SNIPER26
      fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
        So all these schools are running football teams out there out of the goodness of their heart?
        Everyone hopes to make money like the Ohio States and Texas's of the world, but very few do.

If profit was the measure of why schools provide sports, the only sports that would exist would be basketball and football as they are the only revenue sports and there would be very few football teams.

Comment

Most football programs DO make money, plenty of it. It is the other sports that don't and thus need that money.

Follow Me on Twitter!
          https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Originally posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
            Most football programs DO make money, plenty of it. It is the other sports that don't and thus need that money.
            You'd be amazed how many football programs are in the red
            Last edited by wonderbredd24; 08-07-2010, 04:25 PM.

Comment

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...78_ncaa21.html

Of the 119 FBS football teams, 68 (57.1 percent) finished the year in the black.
              Of the 119 FBS schools playing men's basketball, 67 teams made a profit. One of those same 119 schools made money in women's basketball in 2008.
              FBS football teams recorded a median net profit of $1.95 million. Men's basketball at the same schools produced a median profit of $518,000. No other sport at the FBS schools, measured by median values, showed a program in the black.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post

Either way, the NCAA is making a fortune off of these guys and is angry when someone gets more than they deem necessary for them. If you want to start cracking on guys for wanting nice things, don't take the boatloads of money you are making and horde it to yourself and pretend the scholarship you gave a player is anywhere near hurting the bottom line.

NCAA football is a freaking cash cow, give me a break.
                That is a terrible example. One is a singular person, the other is a business that tries to make money so that it puts it back into the business of providing kids with a sport to play, which allows them to go to school for free.

No one is saying players can't have nice things. What people are saying is that they can't be given nice things for free, and they aren't going to be given ridiculous amounts of money in addition to all their benefits just so that they can buy nice cars and new things that they don't need. That's the point. We aren't talking about disallowing players from essential needs, or even the smallest of luxuries; those types of things they more than likely have or can get. What is being talked about is preventing players from being able to easily get luxurious items that are just incredibly nice to have and aren't even close to necessities.

Comment

I actually think that players should be allowed to get stuff, at least to help their families. Sure, they themselves have a meal plan, but what about their mother and siblings?

But this has nothing to do with that, because I'm actually glad that if the NCAA is going to have these rules, that they're also gonna actually enforce them. The title is right, they're coming down on a lot of programs lately, which is good IMO. Especially with the USC situation, they showed that the rules are there, and like them are not, if you don't follow them you're ******.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                  Originally posted by njx9
                  do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
                    I actually think that players should be allowed to get stuff, at least to help their families. Sure, they themselves have a meal plan, but what about their mother and siblings?
                    Please tell me this is sarcasm.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
                      Please tell me this is sarcasm.
                      No, no it's not. I'm not saying colleges should pay the athletes. I'm saying that if I'm coming from a poor family where my mother is holding two jobs to support my brothers and sisters while I'm making millions of dollars for a bunch of old men while not seeing a penny, if an agent offers to help my family out, I'm not saying no. Meal plans and free books won't pay my mom's light bill.

Again though, my main gripe with the rules isn't the rules, it was the lack of consistency. As long as they're gonna be consistent, I really have no complaints with the rules.
                      Last edited by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf); 08-07-2010, 09:41 PM.

Comment

No, no it's not. I'm not saying colleges should pay the athletes. I'm saying that if I'm coming from a poor family where my mother is holding two jobs to support my brothers and sisters while I'm making millions of dollars for a bunch of old men while not seeing a penny, if an agent offers to help my family out, I'm not saying no. Meal plans and free books won't pay my mom's light bill.
                        boo ******* hoo.

At what point do the hand outs end?

These kids get free college, the equivalent of personal trainers, the best facilities, training, and nutrition money can buy, top notch doctors, both MD's and PhD's as well as free healthcare. And they get all kinds of free stuff from the sponsoring athletic company so they never need to buy clothes either.

All anyone focuses on is how much college and books cost, but all that other **** isn't free either. Price that out on the free market. It adds up.

And as I already demonstrated, very few college football teams bring in big money. Most are barely breaking even and many are in the red, so unless you're an Ohio State, Texas, or Georgia, you are not bringing in nearly the money people want to believe.

They play ******* sports and to get free college and everything else to play a damn game. When is enough enough?

Comment

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
                          And as I already demonstrated, very few college football teams bring in big money. Most are barely breaking even and many are in the red, so unless you're an Ohio State, Texas, or Georgia, you are not bringing in nearly the money people want to believe.
                          Originally posted by me
                          I'm not saying colleges should pay the athletes.
                          Sounds like you could have used moar college.

Comment

I'm making millions of dollars for a bunch of old men while not seeing a penny
                            Then who are these old men they are making the millions for and how exactly are they not seeing a penny?

Comment

I just don't like the idea that they can tell people what they can or cannot give to someone.

Even if you are going to pay them, it's ridiculous. Any other student won't lose a scholarship if someone gives him a gift. It's just stupid, what purpose does it even serve?

If I'm a millionaire and I decide to give two students 20,000 dollars because I feel like it, one of them gets to keep it because he doesn't play football? WTF is that?

It's not like I'm saying the players should be allowed to smuggle drugs.
                              Originally posted by SNIPER26
                              fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

The whole point of the rules is to try and keep things on an even level. Imagine if Texas/OSU/etc could pay their athletes what they wanted, or have people pay those players, they would destroy in recruiting even more than they do now. Certain schools already have an major advantage over others for stuff not dealing with athletics, there is no way college football would work if money was one of those things.

That is correct comahan
                                I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                                <3 dg

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information