Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA investigating every sports program from every school past present and future?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
    I just don't like the idea that they can tell people what they can or cannot give to someone.

Even if you are going to pay them, it's ridiculous. Any other student won't lose a scholarship if someone gives him a gift. It's just stupid, what purpose does it even serve?

If I'm a millionaire and I decide to give two students 20,000 dollars because I feel like it, one of them gets to keep it because he doesn't play football? WTF is that?

It's not like I'm saying the players should be allowed to smuggle drugs.
    So let's make college football Major League Baseball where the schools with the most and biggest donors/boosters will dominate the sport. Awesome.

LSU might as well fold up shop because they have no chance competing against teams like Colorado, Oregon, and Oklahoma State with the type of money they can pay. Nike will be in a position to bankroll Oregon into a dominant power. T. Boone Pickens is a frickin billionaire and a huge Okie State fan as the stadium has his name on it as he put the money forth to build it.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
      Then who are these old men they are making the millions for and how exactly are they not seeing a penny?
      They aren't seeing a penny because they aren't getting anything they can use to buy something. The electric company doesn't accept textbooks or cafeteria food.

And the old men making millions are the guys at the big schools. That was who I was talking about in my example. If they could get gifts from agents, obviously not everyone would get equal, which, as has been mentioned by most, is the roadblock that prevents college athletes from getting paid. My friend at Utah State going into his rFr year isn't gonna attract any agents anytime soon, but a guy like Julio Jones might. A guy like Terrelle Pryor might. It's 100% merit based, and not a communal sharing. If an agent wants to do that, and the player is fine with it, personally, I have zero objections.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
      Originally posted by njx9
      do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
        They aren't seeing a penny because they aren't getting anything they can use to buy something. The electric company doesn't accept textbooks or cafeteria food.

And the old men making millions are the guys at the big schools. That was who I was talking about in my example. If they could get gifts from agents, obviously not everyone would get equal, which, as has been mentioned by most, is the roadblock that prevents college athletes from getting paid. My friend at Utah State going into his rFr year isn't gonna attract any agents anytime soon, but a guy like Julio Jones might. A guy like Terrelle Pryor might. It's 100% merit based, and not a communal sharing. If an agent wants to do that, and the player is fine with it, personally, I have zero objections.
        You do realize these kids get an allowance, right? Straight cash, homey.

Comment

I actually didn't know that. Do you have a link I could see, just to check that out?

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
          Originally posted by njx9
          do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Not to mention they get housing. If a player chooses to live off campus, it's his own choice and he then has to pay for rent, electric, cable, etc. The school gives all players housing, but if they choose they don't want it then that's their own problem. And in many cases, the school gets them "off campus" housing.

And yes, kids do get allowances. Like I said earlier, they aren't going to be enough to get ridiculously nice things, but it's not like kids aren't able to live comfortably. These arguments need to stop making it seem like kids are scraping by and barely surviving without getting paid.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
              I actually didn't know that. Do you have a link I could see, just to check that out?
              No, unfortunately I do not. All I can tell you is I've had this discussion with University of Akron football players and athletes from other sports. The Akron Football team is paid monthly and the amount differs depending on whether you stay in the dorm or not.

Other sports like girl's basketball is paid out every two weeks. Every sport structures it differently depending on how they feel like broaching the subject.

Kids also receive a per diem on the road, although with football players, this does not come up as football coaches take total control and kids are not on the road long at all, but with a sport like baseball or basketball, they get like $10 or $20 per day for food on the road and there is some flexibility in there for coaches to sort of take control of it and make it a team meal so the school is charged and the kids just keep the money, but I'm not sure on the rules how that goes as far as the NCAA is concerned... I'm sure it's bent though.

Anyway, the amount of money paid out on a month is somewhere between $1,000-$1,500 per month. Most athletes I've talked to don't think they need to be paid necessarily... they just want an increase in that allowance.

Comment

So let's make college football Major League Baseball where the schools with the most and biggest donors/boosters will dominate the sport. Awesome.

LSU might as well fold up shop because they have no chance competing against teams like Colorado, Oregon, and Oklahoma State with the type of money they can pay. Nike will be in a position to bankroll Oregon into a dominant power. T. Boone Pickens is a frickin billionaire and a huge Okie State fan as the stadium has his name on it as he put the money forth to build it.
                Hey, if some company can offer me lucrative deals and wants to set me up for life to lend my talents to them, they should be able to, and I should be able to accept.

This.
                Originally posted by SNIPER26
                fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

And as I already demonstrated, very few college football teams bring in big money. Most are barely breaking even and many are in the red, so unless you're an Ohio State, Texas, or Georgia, you are not bringing in nearly the money people want to believe.
                  Since when is the majority "very few"?

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

Originally posted by nrk View Post
                    Since when is the majority "very few"?
                    I think he meant make profit when he said bring in big money. Only a small number football programs turn a profit, and even fewer athletic programs overall do.

Comment

Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                      I think he meant make profit when he said bring in big money. Only a small number football programs turn a profit, and even fewer athletic programs overall do.
                      Oh, I guess I didn't notice "big" before money. My bad. However, he posted that almost 60% of teams turn profit. That is still the majority. Pretty much all BCS conference teams make profit
                      Last edited by nrk; 08-08-2010, 12:07 AM.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

I can hear the fairness argument, but it's a lot less fair that these kids CANT have money.

The NCAA doesnt want to pay the athletes, but they also don't want others to pay them. Kinda not fair either.
                        Originally posted by SNIPER26
                        fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Throw UT's name into the hat. Football and basketball.
                          Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                          RIP themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
                            Throw UT's name into the hat. Football and basketball.
                            Bruce Pearl says he misled NCAA - ESPN

Damn...
                            Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                            Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                            Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information