No announcement yet.

Dareus declared ineligible, Bama appeals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi <insert prospect name>, I'd like to you come play for our university where you will be treated like a child and locked in your room when you aren't in class or at practice. At our university, we don't plan to treat you like men because we know we need to protect you from yourself and the outside world. I look forward to you representing our university.

Regards,

Lizardstate

Comment

So, I should have been paid as much as the football players would theoretically make when I worked at the Writing Lab and helped several athletes turn their mindless wordvomit into a decent paper?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

I think Dez Bryant is an anomoly in this sort of situation. Dareus was being put in the top 10 in a lot of drafts on pure potential and what he needed to do this year. Dez Bryant was a sure fire first rounder after his sophomore year. I would think anywhere between 3rd and undrafted for Dareus now.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

My local sports radio had an enlightening interview with a professional agent. Here is an article summarizing the interview and link to audio...

Sports agent Ron Del Duca, who has been an NFL agent since 1993, weighed in on the subject by telling Seibel and Starkey that agents bend the rules 40-50 percent of the time.

“I tell the kid right off the bat, if I have to throw toys at you-cars, girls, lines of credit, money-for you to sign with me then I’m not your guy,” Del Duca, a South Hills resident, said.

Agents can meet with college football players once they’re finished with three years of school, as long as they don’t give athletes anything of value.

“Technically you can’t give the player or any member of his family anything of value to induce them,” Del Duca said. “Now, value can be a cup of coffee, a pizza, $100,000, a car. But then you get some gray areas like a marketing guarantee.”

Del Duca says it’s not just the agents, the kids are asking for trouble too. “The kids are out of control,” he said.

“(Kids) are asking agents to co-sign car loans, send them to Arizona for training, they want rims for their vehicles, they want to go to Las Vegas after the Bowl game with their family to celebrate the NFL career they probably aren’t going to have anyway,” Del Duca said.

Del Duca said that last year he walked away from six or seven guys because they wanted things of value.
          http://937thefan.cbslocal.com/2010/0...ut-of-control/

Comment

That doesn't surprise me at all. If anyone thinks that it's all these agents taking advantage of poor, young kids, they are just as idiotic as the kids themselves. I'd wager that for every 1-2 kids that get taken advantage of because they don't fully understand the rules, there's probably another 5-10 that know they are breaking rules and ask for ****.

Comment

Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
              I'd wager that for every 1-2 kids that get taken advantage of because they don't fully understand the rules, there's probably another 5-10 that know they are breaking rules and ask for ****.
              That's basically what he is saying. He mentioned that a current "successful" NFL player who's been in the League a couple of years asked him to buy the newest top-of-the-line Mercedes in order to sign with him. When he refused, the unnamed player signed elsewhere and was seen in the very Mercedes he demanded.

Comment

Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                That's basically what he is saying. He mentioned that a current "successful" NFL player who's been in the League a couple of years asked him to buy the newest top-of-the-line Mercedes in order to sign with him. When he refused, the unnamed player signed elsewhere and was seen in the very Mercedes he demanded.
                Exactly. Anyone who thinks most these kids are innocent and being taken advantage of have their heads so far in the sand.

Comment

Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                  Exactly. Anyone who thinks most these kids are innocent and being taken advantage of have their heads so far in the sand.
                  The bad man held a gun to their head and forced them to accept those benefits. THAT IS A SCIENTIFIC FACT!

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                    The bad man held a gun to their head and forced them to accept those benefits. THAT IS A SCIENTIFIC FACT!
                    Well, this in addition to they were poor kids all their life so when presented with nice things they had no choice but to take them.

Seriously though, for me it's enough to know that just telling these kids once they step on campus, "Ok, here are the rules and if you break them you're done. You can't accept (insert list of things/benefits/etc.) at all, so don't." Just telling every kid that at the beginning and I think that should be enough, but schools have people constantly monitoring and reminding kids. There's no excuse for any player to plead ignorance and say he didn't know it was against the rules.

It's one thing if the kid was tricked into going to a party, it's completely different if the player accepts anything. (Not just Dareus, any kid).

Comment

Superstitious?

Told you 13 was an unlucky no. of national championships ......

And the Tide might be stuck on that no. for awhile. 1st Andre Smith signing with an agent, now Dareus going to a party. Dyathink Saban might be somewhat pissed at agents contacting his players now?

Not a lot of thought & consideration given to this choice: (outstretches both arms with palms up balancing alternately up & down) Another NC for Bama, or gazillions in guaranteed money? The NCAA won't let them have jack **** for themselves while on scholarship, they grew up poor in the poorest p/o the country, which one do you think they want?

Comment

That's a fair point, but in all honesty, having a poor background isn't a justifiable reason to break rules.

I know it would probably be hard to turn down all this nice stuff, but it isn't the NCAA's fault that these kids see having expensive cars and vacations as more valuable than a college eduaction. It's not like these kids are at rock bottom while in school with no money, home or food. The stuff they are getting are luxury items, not necessities. While it may be hard to turn them down, it's not like they are unable to live without them.

Maybe it's just me, but I would take a college education over a Mercades every time. Most of these guys will be getting drafted and signing the contracts eventually, there's no reason to accept money and other stuff like a year earlier than they will get it.

Comment

Take it for what its worth but Mack Brown just said on college football live only 19 of the 122 FBS teams made money off of football.
                          Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                            Told you 13 was an unlucky no. of national championships ......
                            they better watch out if they ever get that many then.

Comment

Dareus suspended for 2 games

And he has to pay an almost $1,800 fine to charity.

Alabama is appealing & asking for one game suspended so he would be back for Penn St. coming to Tuscaloosa in Wk. 2.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...ve_a_two-.html

It's still one hell of a lot better than missing the whole season. Put Dareus back in your top 10 for the 2010 draft when/if he declares.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information