Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should college athletes be paid?

I say no. Any thoughts?

No, but there needs to be a better accountability system in place that monitors academics for student athletes.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
      No, but there needs to be a better accountability system in place that monitors academics for student athletes.
      There needs to be a better system in place that can look at you with a straight face and tell you that, for the most part, these kids are student-athletes.

But then, yes, I agree with your point. The main reason all this fuss about getting paid has come around is because these kids, and for the most part the schools, don't consider them student-athletes, but athletes that so happen to be enrolled in school. (calling them students is far too generous of a label than I'm willing to give.)

Comment

Title IX, no.

edit: In case you fail to understand how this is Pandora's Box waiting to be opened, just google "title 9" and think it through. The ONLY sports that make a dime are football and some basketball programs, both men's. You'll never be allowed to pay a man without a paying a woman equivalent value because of our federal code system (Title IX).

Women's sports already bleed enough money, so you can't afford to pay them. Since you can't pay women, you can't play men. It's that simple.

There are other good reasons too, but that's the nail in the coffin.

edit2: The worst part is that in the future football and some basketball teams may try to form minor league systems which will decimate college athletics and basically kill off all forms of it. We have to be very careful how we approach this.
        Last edited by descendency; 07-27-2010, 07:29 PM.
        **** her in da *****!

Comment

No, they're going to school and getting a college degree for free. They don't need to be paid.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

No. We have had this argument a thousand times. They are given a free education/meal plan/housing, which itself is worth a ridiculous sum of money.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

They get paid like a **** ton in terms of free education/living/meals
              If they cant sustain themselves after that, **** them. Get off your high horse.

bonekrusher
              The Twitters
              themaninblack

Comment

You mean in addition to the tens of thousands of dollars in benefits they receive each year from their school? I say no.

Comment

ahh... NO!

Sig by Bone Krusher

Comment

Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                    Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
                    There needs to be a better system in place that can look at you with a straight face and tell you that, for the most part, these kids are student-athletes.

But then, yes, I agree with your point. The main reason all this fuss about getting paid has come around is because these kids, and for the most part the schools, don't consider them student-athletes, but athletes that so happen to be enrolled in school. (calling them students is far too generous of a label than I'm willing to give.)
                    I agree with this, but I'm not completely opposed to the idea of paying the athletes a small amount of money. The players might get a lot from the school (ie. schooling, housing, meals etc.) but a lot of these kids come from poor families and don't have a lot of money. I think it can be pretty hard for them around campus when they can't do certain things that others can because they don't have any money. This is probably also the reason why so many football players get arrested for burglary (not defending the idiots, just saying...). If you could work out a system where endorsment deals to the team gets distributed amongst the players so that the players will get a few hundred dollars a month I'd be alright with it. But it shouldn't be more than $2-300 imo. After all, these players are risking their well-being every time they get on the field just as the NFL players do.

But first and foremost I think they should live up to the title student/athlete.

Originally posted by ElectricEye
                    I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

Comment

I see this stuff and I have to wonder how Division III players feel... schools around here like Mount Union, Baldwin Wallace, and such are about $20-$30k per year, which these guys are paying outside of some grants and financial aid because there are no athletic scholarships... and then they play football.

Comment

Definitely not.

Comment

they're basically being paid through their scholarships which cover tuition, books, room and board, meal plans, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                            I agree with this, but I'm not completely opposed to the idea of paying the athletes a small amount of money. The players might get a lot from the school (ie. schooling, housing, meals etc.) but a lot of these kids come from poor families and don't have a lot of money. I think it can be pretty hard for them around campus when they can't do certain things that others can because they don't have any money.
                            They don't have to live off campus, they choose to live off campus. If they don't want to live on campus, yes, the school will typically pay for it; however, that is their choice. If they lived on campus, they don't need to worry about transportation. Second, what are these "other things"? Getting food? Oh wait, they are given a free meal plan, they can get all the food they want from the various places that have food on campus. Maybe you were talking about textbooks, but those are also paid for by the school. They are provided everything they need.

This is probably also the reason why so many football players get arrested for burglary (not defending the idiots, just saying...).
                            So, because they're stupid and commit crimes, we should pay them so they won't do it? I bet that someone willing to commit burglary is willing to do it whether or not the school gives them money.

If you could work out a system where endorsment deals to the team gets distributed amongst the players so that the players will get a few hundred dollars a month I'd be alright with it. But it shouldn't be more than $2-300 imo. After all, these players are risking their well-being every time they get on the field just as the NFL players do.
                            They are choosing to be student-athletes. They made the choice, and with that choice comes certain risks (their health). More importantly, if they have a career-ending injury, they are still given their full scholarship. Also, with that choice for a free education (among other provisions), they accept the reality that, though they may come from a poor background, they have to cope with living in the situation they've chosen.

Also, there is no way a school could afford to pay their student-athletes. Typically, the revenues from football pay for most the other sports (along with other funding).

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

This is just like the legalization of pot. It's impossible to determine whether it's right or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information