The Problem With the BCS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JHL6719 View Post
    Saban voted Ohio St. #1 with his preseason coaches vote...
    indeed. and I think Tressel voted alabama #1 with his. Coaches don't want the bullseye on their back of a #1 ranking.

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
      if they did a playoff and the conference champs got an automatic spot, then the only thing left to human voters would be the at-large teams and if they seeded teams. The conference champs I assume would get seeds and they could do a draw like the world cup does to take away the human component in the matchups. That would have less human voting factor than the BCS ever would. That said I am not that big a fan of having a playoff in college football.
      Please make your 10000th post explaining this one.

Comment

Originally posted by JHL6719 View Post
        Saban voted Ohio St. #1 with his preseason coaches vote...
        Alright, now let's see who he votes for the week before bowl selection.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
          Please make your 10000th post explaining this one.
          it hurts the importance of the regular season and takes away from the longstanding tradition of the big bowls. I don't like hurting that anymore than I like hurting the importance/tradition of the OSU/UM rivalry by adding an uneccesary conference championship game to the Big Ten. I wouldn't be totally against a playoff, but I don't like how it fits into college football compared to basketball or pro football, etc.

Comment

it hurts the importance of the regular season and takes away from the longstanding tradition of the big bowls. I don't like hurting that anymore than I like hurting the importance/tradition of the OSU/UM rivalry by adding an uneccesary conference championship game to the Big Ten. I wouldn't be totally against a playoff, but I don't like how it fits into college football compared to basketball or pro football, etc.
            I use to have this view, but the BCS is watering down college football by making scheduling decent OOC games unnecessary. Now this is a bad weekend to mention this, but more and more teams won't be playing these tough OOC games. UF doesn't even think about doing it, all you have to do is survive an easy schedule and be ranked high in the preseason. To me, it does way more to hurt the integrity of CFB than a playoff would.

I also don't think it would water down regular season games at all, I mean you would still be looking at the top 8 probably having 2 losses at the most. Its not like the NFL where they can get in at 9-7. Not to mention rivalries will always be huge in CFB, no playoff will diminish that.

Comment

Why do the playoffs not hurt the importance of the regular season in oh....every other sport anywhere ever? You still have to actually play well enough to make the playoffs, and in college football, with an 8 team playoff, any more than 1 loss could mean you missing the playoffs entirely. You're still going to need to play very well all season long.

Comment

Originally posted by P-L View Post
                Alright, now let's see who he votes for the week before bowl selection.

Well obviously he should vote for the SmurfTurf SpudStuds....

After all, they'll be undefeated...

Comment

8-team playoff makes the most sense. It retains the post-New Yrs. big bowl system intact & evenly distributes the bowl $.

Currently more & more teams finish undefeated from scheduling cupcakes or total conference domination by a single team, whatever. And currently in the game of musical chairs, some undefeated team gets screwed, like Auburn a few yrs. ago.

The elite programs & conferences have too much clout as special interests now, that's why a Boise St. has the chance of a snowball in hell of finishing #1 if there are 2 or more other undefeated teams.

Comment

The regular season isn't that important when a team can win every single game and still not get the chance to compete for the title.

Comment

it's more important than if a team can lose 5 games and still have a chance to compete for a title.

Comment

Division I college basketball has a playoff. Division I-AA, II, III and the NAIA have a playoff. Each of the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, and MLS have a playoff. Every sport except for NCAA Division I football has a playoff. Instituting a playoff would solve every problem. The BCS would be eliminated, the institutions would make buku cash, and actual champions would be crowned having fought for it on the field.

The hubbub about the players being "students first" (which is a farce by the way, as evidenced by the conference expansion talk) is ridiculous. Student-athletes in every other level of collegiate athletics are able to handle a playoff and class at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by villagewarrior View Post
                          Division I college basketball has a playoff. Division I-AA, II, III and the NAIA have a playoff. Each of the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, and MLS have a playoff. Every sport except for NCAA Division I football has a playoff. Instituting a playoff would solve every problem. The BCS would be eliminated, the institutions would make buku cash, and actual champions would be crowned having fought for it on the field.

The hubbub about the players being "students first" (which is a farce by the way, as evidenced by the conference expansion talk) is ridiculous. Student-athletes in every other level of collegiate athletics are able to handle a playoff and class at the same time.
                          You sum this up well. +rep sir.

Comment

it's more important than if a team can lose 5 games and still have a chance to compete for a title.

5 loss teams won't be in the top 8.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                            Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                            Originally posted by njx9
                            do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

How would a 7-5 make it high enough in the polls to get spot in an eight team playoff?

Comment

the ACC champion automatic qualifier has been a 4 loss team in two different occassions since they expanded to 12 teams. It's not impossible that a team can lose 4 or 5 games and win the conference......and if you get a spot in the playoffs you have a chance to win a NC.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information