No announcement yet.

The Problem With the BCS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well you'd have to do without automatic bid if the playoff was eight teams or less. Giving all six conference champions a spot in an eight-team playoff almost defeats the purpose.

Comment

I cant see any way in hell that a conference champ of the big six won't automatically make a playoff spot if they went to a playoff system. 6 conference champs and 2 at larges if they only did 8 teams.

Comment

The conferences as we know them probably won't last much longer anyway. There is no way the Big East should have an automatic bid, and the ACC will probably go that way too unless something drastic happens since the Pac-10 and SEC will all be getting stronger the next couple seasons, and the Big 10 is going to remain relevant because of their history and influence. Plus you have Boise going to the MTW which should strengthen them up enough to deserve an automatic bid.

Comment

I say take the top 16. 4 week playoff. They could still get it done by the time the college season is completed now, and in all likelihood sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
            Why do the playoffs not hurt the importance of the regular season in oh....every other sport anywhere ever? You still have to actually play well enough to make the playoffs, and in college football, with an 8 team playoff, any more than 1 loss could mean you missing the playoffs entirely. You're still going to need to play very well all season long.
            the regular season of every other sport isn't as good as it is in college football b/c you basically have to go unbeaten to win a title....and if you don't make it to the title game then playing in a game like the Rose Bowl is not a bad consolation. Winning the Rose Bowl is freakin' awesome.

I'm not against a playoff, it would be awesome to have a CFB playoffs and an undisputed champ.....I just think it will suck to kiss the tradition of bowl games good bye. If they had a playoff the bowls would be completely watered down and unimportant, no way around that at all. The Rose Bowl for instance would be just a venue for a playoff game (not the actual rose bowl game anymore) and the whole 80+ year tradition of going to the Rose Bowl to end your year would be gone.

Now since they already have a BCS Championship game that isn't really a bowl, just a championship game between #1 and #2 in a rotating venue, having a plus one after the bowls are done wouldn't be so bad in terms of keeping the tradition and having less dispute about the champ.
            Last edited by keylime_5; 09-09-2010, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
              the regular season of every other sport isn't as good as it is in college football b/c you basically have to go unbeaten to win a title....and if you don't make it to the title game then playing in a game like the Rose Bowl is not a bad consolation. Winning the Rose Bowl is freakin' awesome.

I'm not against a playoff, it would be awesome to have a CFB playoffs and an undisputed champ.....I just think it will suck to kiss the tradition of bowl games good bye. If they had a playoff the bowls would be completely watered down and unimportant, no way around that at all.
              Well, I have a number of issues here.

Because you pretty much have to go unbeaten to guarantee yourself a shot at at title, very few teams are willing to schedule tough out of conference games. I addressed this in the changes I'd like to see short of a playoff system in that I think games against 1-AA opponents should be eliminated and something should be done to encourage tougher out of conference games.

And there are just so many bowls already that most of them are extremely watered down. You only need to go .500 if you're from a BCS conference and you're pretty much guaranteed a spot in a low level bowl. And even the bigger bowls don't always get the best teams.....a few of the ACC and Big East winners recently have had a number of losses and weren't ranked in the top 10, yet they get to play in the "important" and "traditional" bowls.....blegh.

Give me playoffs with all the teams playing tougher schedules.

Comment

ACC and Big East champs have always gone to those bowls though. The Big East used to a little better though since they had Miami and Va Tech and Boston College. You don't have to schedule tough OOC games, but almost all the good teams still do (except the SEC schools really, but they have a really tough league so it's not that big a deal).

It would be great and all to have a postseason with all the top teams playing each other and an unquestioned champ, no doubt. The only issue I have is that they're trying to take away or at least water down greatly a lot of the traditions that make college football so great and unique from other sports.

Comment

I think the college system could stand for a whole giant reform, but it's damn profitable as it is right now, so I don't expect anything like that.

That said, eliminating the preseason poll just flat out makes sense. It should happen.

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information