Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Number 2?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    I was commenting towards Chris saying that there's a previous pattern for James to have a long run in a game that increases his rushing average which is similar to Johnson. Yes it was only one game but James was known to do that all of last year so it does matter when looking at his game against Ohio State. I don't he dominated but he did have a very good game you can't just take out the long run.
    #Chop


    sig by BoneKrusher

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
      Again, 70 yards against the Buckeyes. 42% of which were on one single run.
      47 percent of Terrelle Pryor's passing yards against Miami came on two plays. One was a shovel pass to Dan Herron and the other a bomb to DeVier Posey, yet all the Ohio State fans were using this to boost Pryor's Heisman resume. See, we can do this both ways.

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
        I don't he dominated but he did have a very good game you can't just take out the long run.
        You can't ignore it, but you have to look at it logically. The guy carried the ball 15 times and was a total non-factor on 14 of those carries. He did not have a good game because his running hurt Oregon more than he helped them. You can't just look at his average and pretend that one successful run makes up for 14 [mostly] unsuccessful ones.

        As for the poll question, I don't know yet. I have been more impressed with Oregon this year than I have Ohio State. With that said, I think Ohio State would beat them head-to-head.

        Comment


        • #94
          Yes you're right PL but that's part of James running style. In previous games he has a track record of having a similar statistical pattern of having 1 very long run per game. If this was a one time thing I'd say your right but it wasn't.
          #Chop


          sig by BoneKrusher

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by Sniper View Post
            47 percent of Terrelle Pryor's passing yards against Miami came on two plays. One was a shovel pass to Dan Herron and the other a bomb to DeVier Posey, yet all the Ohio State fans were using this to boost Pryor's Heisman resume. See, we can do this both ways.
            Which is fine, I don't think Pryor has any business being in the Heisman chase. Also, you are ignoring total performance in the game (70 yds = subpar if you are going to say you are owning someone in a loss vs 233 yds = average in a win.)

            You must be fun at parties.

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by P-L View Post
              You can't ignore it, but you have to look at it logically. The guy carried the ball 15 times and was a total non-factor on 14 of those carries. He did not have a good game because his running hurt Oregon more than he helped them. You can't just look at his average and pretend that one successful run makes up for 14 [mostly] unsuccessful ones.

              As for the poll question, I don't know yet. I have been more impressed with Oregon this year than I have Ohio State. With that said, I think Ohio State would beat them head-to-head.
              Well reasoned and therein lies the problem and joy of CFB: Too many teams, nowhere near enough direct competition, and the transitive property just doesn't work in common opponent comparisons. Too many variables.

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                Yes you're right PL but that's part of James running style. In previous games he has a track record of having a similar statistical pattern of having 1 very long run per game. If this was a one time thing I'd say your right but it wasn't.
                If you take LaMichael James' longest run from each regular season game last season and separate them from the rest he still averaged a very respectable 4.9 yards per carry while his long runs averaged out to be 39.5 yards per carry. There is a huge difference between averaging about 5 yards a carry then breaking a 40 yarder and averaging less than 3 yards a carry then breaking a 30 yarder. His track record says that he is a very consistent running back who can make a huge play once or twice per game. Against Ohio State, he looked like a poor running back who ended up making one big play.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                  47 percent of Terrelle Pryor's passing yards against Miami came on two plays. One was a shovel pass to Dan Herron and the other a bomb to DeVier Posey, yet all the Ohio State fans were using this to boost Pryor's Heisman resume. See, we can do this both ways.
                  yes but outside of those 2 plays Pryor still had a great day against Miami. Without those 2 big plays he still had 100+ rushing yards and 2 touchdowns and no turnovers and he did pass for like 230 yards in that game or something like that, so taking away 47% of 230 still leaves over 100 yards passing, on a rainy day to boot.
                  Also, no one going around posting Terrelle Pryor>>>>>>>Miami.

                  Not quite the same as having 40 yards on 14 carries plus a 30 yard run. Even if you don't take away the 30 yard run like everyone is saying, 70 yards on 15 carries is just decent, not great.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
                    Which is fine, I don't think Pryor has any business being in the Heisman chase. Also, you are ignoring total performance in the game (70 yds = subpar if you are going to say you are owning someone in a loss vs 233 yds = average in a win.)

                    You must be fun at parties.
                    Sniper is a lot of fun at parties....pants parties. At my pants parties. Sex.

                    Since I've yet to contribute as to the original topic, here it goes.

                    Right now, I think OSU really hasn't done enough to deserve to be replaced at #2. Sure, they struggled vs. an underwhelming Illinois team, but imo the game was never in doubt. That said, Oregon has looked better overall, and their win over Stanford is better than any win OSU has, imo.

                    So, you have the one team who is pretty boring but built on a great D that allows them to have off days on offense and still feel comfortable. Or, you have the seemingly unstoppable offense that will score on anyone, anytime, but also let any team score on them anytime.

                    So my choice: The ESU Timberwolves.

                    Comment


                    • Since Oregon has Casey Matthews they automatically win out in every tiebreaker.

                      You can't discount the Matthews factor.
                      Sackmaster.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
                        Which is fine, I don't think Pryor has any business being in the Heisman chase. Also, you are ignoring total performance in the game (70 yds = subpar if you are going to say you are owning someone in a loss vs 233 yds = average in a win.)

                        You must be fun at parties.
                        But you're playing the "let's remove the big plays to help my case" argument. Why can't I do the same?

                        I'm awesome at parties, thank you. It's probably time for you to come up with a new line, though. It's only the 17th time you've used that.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                          taking away 47% of 230 still leaves over 100 yards passing, on a rainy day to boot.
                          OH MY GOD? 100 yards? Wow. ******* superstar passer over here. Man, what a stud.

                          Also, no one going around posting Terrelle Pryor>>>>>>>Miami.
                          Um, considering the fact that every Buckeye fan is using the Miami game as an indicator of Pryor's superior development as a passer and as a reason for his supremacy over the world, it's about the same.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                            But you're playing the "let's remove the big plays to help my case" argument. Why can't I do the same?

                            I'm awesome at parties, thank you. It's probably time for you to come up with a new line, though. It's only the 17th time you've used that.
                            That was the first time I've used that joke. I made fun of you living in your mom's basement before :)

                            No, I was using the argument "70 yards is pretty damn average, and I agree with others that it looks worse when you take out one long run on an otherwise crappy day."

                            And stop with the hyperbole, not every Buckeye fan thinks TP is the end all be all. I thought he looked pretty average that day. If Miami DBs had hands, the game might have been a bit scary/bad.

                            The fact is, TP is an amazing athlete and an OK QB. I actually think Denard has a great short range pass, and a pretty good medium range ball. I will take TP in the bomb department, but it's not far and away.

                            Running I think Denard is much more dynamic, able to cut up and hit a tiny hole where there shouldn't be one. He can also house it. TP is more of a giant fast guy, someone that I'd rather have on 4th and 1.

                            Imagine TP and Denard running the wildcat. That would well nigh unstoppable.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                              Oregon has given up like 1000+ yards and 62 points the last two weeks and they should move up in the rankings? If they play a team with a front seven like Alabama's or Ohio State's they won't put up those gaudy offensive stats. I just don't follow the logic and they won't and shouldn't get in the NC game over OSU if both go undefeated I am certain of that.
                              I hate Oregon but i think beating a top 5 caliber team in Stanford trumps OSU beating Miami.

                              As for the numbers you can play that game all day and i'm not sure how much it means, Oregon has only given up 75 points all year and teams tend to give up yards in games when 2nd and 3rd stringers are out there.

                              Comment


                              • I'm fine with Oregon being number two.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information