Auburn/Cam Newton under NCAA investigation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
    Other than it being illegal, violating Title IX, and other issues, no problem at all.
    Obviously I'm talking about re-writing D1 Rules.

Illegal? How? Other students get paid for their extracurricular activities.

Apply it to all sports. Not many people with money are going to pay players for womens sports.

Other issues being what? We are talking about a multi-billion dollar per year industry where the majority of the participants get paid a low salary (schollies).

The market would dictate the going rate for superstars. There would have to be a bunch of rules, but it's better than the current system where the football factories have boosters that pay for players behind the scenes.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
      Obviously I'm talking about re-writing D1 Rules.

Illegal? How? Other students get paid for their extracurricular activities.

Apply it to all sports. Not many people with money are going to pay players for womens sports.

Other issues being what? We are talking about a multi-billion dollar per year industry where the majority of the participants get paid a low salary (schollies).

The market would dictate the going rate for superstars. There would have to be a bunch of rules, but it's better than the current system where the football factories have boosters that pay for players behind the scenes.
      You're talking about an industry where most of the schools are losing money, even BCS schools.

What defines a "superstar"? There are schools with substantially bigger and wealthier sets of boosters, so the ones without them are just boned?

This creates far more problems than it solves.

Comment

There should be some sort of scholarship vs paid route. Most players will still be scholarship players, but the superstars should be allowed to opt out of the scholly in exchange for 3rd party payment.

I see no problem with this, as it already exists, it's just a lot shadier.
        So the so called superstars have to then pay their own tuition? I think the system is fine the way it is as it works for 99% of the athletes out there. I dont think you change the rules for a few cheaters.

Comment

• If Cam doesn't win the Heisman and is never ruled ineligible sucks for the guy who actually wins the Heisman because everyone will put an asterisk beside their name.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
          http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
          Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
          http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
            If Cam doesn't win the Heisman and is never ruled ineligible sucks for the guy who actually wins the Heisman because everyone will put an asterisk beside their name.
            Luck and Stanzi, who both have better passing numbers than Newton, are supposed to feel guilty, i dont think so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Babylon View Post
              Luck and Stanzi, who both have better passing numbers than Newton, are supposed to feel guilty, i dont think so.
              Except Cam only has like 100 yards and 1 or 2 TD's less passing than them while having over 1000 more yards and over 10TD's more rushing for the most likely #1 or 2 team. Not saying anyone who would win it would feel guilty or feel like they don't deserve it, but they have to know that they weren't the true #1 player in the country. I was actually pretty shocked looking at the passing numbers how close Cam is to someone like Luck when some games Cam never even threw the ball. I know a lot is stat padding against bad teams, but still.

Comment

• I don't think it will be all that different than when someone wins it and there are more deserving players. It will just be the most recent case of it, and while it will be remembered for the scandal(s) costing Newton, it will likely be forgotten after like 5 years.

Comment

Except Cam only has like 100 yards and 1 or 2 TD's less passing than them while having over 1000 more yards and over 10TD's more rushing for the most likely #1 or 2 team. Not saying anyone who would win it would feel guilty or feel like they don't deserve it, but they have to know that they weren't the true #1 player in the country. I was actually pretty shocked looking at the passing numbers how close Cam is to someone like Luck when some games Cam never even threw the ball. I know a lot is stat padding against bad teams, but still.
                  Most of the time the Heisman doesn't go to the #1 overall player anyway.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

• Usually though when the wrong guy is chosen it's because it goes to the QB or top player of the #1 team in the nation, and since Darron Thomas isn't considered a Heisman candidate for whatever reason, that guy is Newton as well.

Comment

Minor correction, but Cam has 400 yards and 1-3 TDs less passing in 1 more game.

He also has 400 more total yards than Luck in 1 more game, but 9 more total TDs. And yea, 13 of his 34 TDs have come against teams I could beat by myself, where as Luck had 4 TDs against his only non-BCS caliber opponent, and Stanzi 4 TDs against his 2 non-BCS caliber opponent.

Not disagreeing that Newton isn't most deserving, just clarifying some stats and showing that there is also more to it than numbers, as you stated. And it's not Cam's fault Auburn has a pathetic schedule.

Side note: Stanford is awesome. They have ONE non-BCS caliber opponent on their schedule. That's how every BCS teams should schedule. Granted, they only have 3 OOC not 4, but still.

Comment

• Originally posted by nrk View Post
                        Yup. The "Most Outstanding Player in the Country" award has turned into "The Best Player on the Best Team" award.

Comment

• Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                          Side note: Stanford is awesome. They have ONE non-BCS caliber opponent on their schedule. That's how every BCS teams should schedule. Granted, they only have 3 OOC not 4, but still.
                          Yeah, I'm sick of OSU's pathetic OOC scheduling. They usually get one premier BCS OOC opponent and then a bunch of schlubs.

And this year their premiere opponent turned out to suck ass.

Cam so far deserves the Hypesman. Great player on a great team. Luck and Denard need to be in the conversation as well.

Comment

• He'll still win the Heisman and still play for the national title (not sure how Oregon's O will do against Auburns D or how Auburn's O will deal with Oregon's D).

There is almost no way the NCAA could find a smoking gun in less than a few years. And they are not going to derail this for one school's claims. So far the only sources all come out of Mississippi State - a school that could quite frankly be jealous. No one else that had dealings with Newton has suggested that he was after cash.

So, while 5 years from now we might be saying that he cheated, right now the show will likely go on as it has.

Originally posted by nrk View Post
                            Eh, Stats are not everything. If they were, someone from a QB friendly offense in a conference like the MWC would win it every year.
                            Last edited by descendency; 11-11-2010, 02:03 PM.
                            **** her in da *****!

Comment

Yeah, I'm sick of OSU's pathetic OOC scheduling. They usually get one premier BCS OOC opponent and then a bunch of schlubs.

And this year their premiere opponent turned out to suck ass.

Cam so far deserves the Hypesman. Great player on a great team. Luck and Denard need to be in the conversation as well.
                              Nothing screams premier out of conference scheduling like Chattanooga

Comment

• Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
                                Nothing screams premier out of conference scheduling like Chattanooga
                                I will see your Chattanooga and raise you a directional state school (Eastern Illinois).

To compound this argument, at least schedule the cupcakes at the beginning of the year. I hate that teams will schedule crap teams in like week 9 or 10 when it's more likely that A. your team will be running on all cylinders and B. the other team will be worn down, and thus even more pathetic.

The whole point of cupcakes is to play them early and work off all the rust from the offseason, not in the last 1/3 of the season so that your team can beat up on someone and avoid a let down. SEC teams are notorious for this, but other BCS teams as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information