X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL. Miami loses again.

Comment

http://twitter.com/#!/bhofheimer_espn

Monday Night Football's PR guy says Gruden is staying put. Peter King, Adam Schefter, and Jay Glazer have also shot it down.

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
        Is Schefter any more credible?

"ESPN MNF analyst Jon Gruden on speculatuon he could return to coaching: "I am committed to Monday Night Football and to ESPN."

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter
        That was a fun ride while it lasted.

Comment

that sucks

Comment

HA...I'll wait till they actually make a hiring.

But I can't see Jon doing college. I know he'll love having a bazillion QBs, but I don't see him recruiting when he could be doing football related things, game plans, plays ect.

Comment

Funny all the NFL guys are denying it and the NCAA guys saying it is happening.

He would be a great fit at Miami.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

It will be fun watching MNF Tomorrow just to See how Gruden acts.

Comment

I don't think he would be a good hire. Coaching NFL and college are not the same thing. He would come in with a way too complicated system and not be able to implement it properly with college players.m He would be back in the nflin a few years.

Hire a coach who is proven in college football. Someone who has won games at lower programs and can recruit Florida. Someone who has an effective, simple offensive/defensive system that is proven to work at the college level and who has shown he can make good hires in assistant coaches. It is a very simple process. Florida did it with Urban Meyer, Notre Dame did it with Brian Kelly(i think he will be a success). Gruden does not fit that profile.

Comment

Yeah, this is becoming very interesting. Looked like a done deal. Maybe it is but he can't comment because he's negotiating his way out ESPN? Don't know what kind of arrangement ESPN does with it's commentators, but he might be obligated to finish out the season on Monday Night. Either way, pretty clear Gruden is a commodity and is going to be coaching somewhere next year.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by Dagagad View Post
                      I don't think he would be a good hire. Coaching NFL and college are not the same thing. He would come in with a way too complicated system and not be able to implement it properly with college players.m He would be back in the nflin a few years.
                      Nailed it. Even in the NFL Gruden was trying to fit square pegs into round holes and refusing to "dumb-down" his system. The only quarterback to completely comprehend the scheme being Rich Cannon who says he stills wakes up at night blabbering Gruden verbiage.

Take that, and introduce some scholarly U thugs...

But there is still hope. Gruden's last firing was a wakeup call and adjustments will be made. He would instantly be a top recruiter and motivator, the two most important skills of all collegiate coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagagad View Post

Hire a coach who is proven in college football. Someone who has won games at lower programs and can recruit Florida. Someone who has an effective, simple offensive/defensive system that is proven to work at the college level and who has shown he can make good hires in assistant coaches. It is a very simple process. Florida did it with Urban Meyer, Notre Dame did it with Brian Kelly(i think he will be a success). Gruden does not fit that profile.
                        Exactly. Plus he doesn't seem to be suited to going out and kissing the asses of 16-18 year old kids in order for them to come to play for him.

All around a poor fit.

Comment

I don't think Gruden would be a good hire, because I tend to believe that being a pro coach and a college coach are inherently different.

I have no doubt that if they did bring him in, he'd be great at teaching kids the X's and O's. If I were a top QB who wanted a path to the NFL, I'd definitely be willing to play for Gruden.

But overall, like has been said, I just can't imagine him being the type to "kiss the asses" of teenagers and convince the kid's parents that their kid would be in good hands with him.

He definitely needs to get back into the pro game though. I think his last few years in Tampa, he got a little full of himself and couldn't find the QB he wanted. But if he went into a rebuilding team and got to put it together as he wanted, he could make a contender I feel.

Comment

Jon Gruden's father was a college coach (Gruden also played QB at my alma mater for a year, but that's another story).

Anyway, he spent an additional five years in college as an assistant coach. Sure, the last year was 1991, but it's not like he's completely oblivious as to the differences.

I think it's far easier to go from the pros to college than vice versa.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Pil View Post
                              Take that, and introduce some scholarly U thugs...
                              I also enjoy dealing in stereotypes that haven't been true in ten years.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                                I cant wait to see film of Gruden ripping on kids at practice. That'll be ******* hilarious.
                                Gruden will make a MAN out of Jacory by the time he's finish with him.

Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown
                                The most important thing, however, is how strong their swagger factors are.
                                Newton
                                South of the Mason Dixon +10 swagger
                                Barely literate +5 swagger
                                Thief +15 swagger
                                Kicked off of a team of thugs +20 swagger
                                Big, average speed -3 swagger
                                Hasn't done jacksquat on the field +15 swagger
                                Total Swagger: 62
                                ATL College Park Zone 3* +20 swagger Bonus pts

Comment

Working...
                                X