Further Proof that Sagarin is Idiotic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
    So you don't think they can beat TCU, since they did that last year?

I think Boise State would beat Ohio State, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas A&M, and Nebraska and anyone I have a good shot against the other teams mentioned.

Wisconsin and Alabama would give them the most trouble purely on their size
    I think that you need to put down the crack pipe.

Comment

The team that went undefeated last year came back almost completely intact and was the #1 team in the country without question coming into this year and the games they've lost... they gave them away.
      Michael Johnson- all american guard
      Javier Arenas
      Kareem Jackson
      Rolando McClain
      Terrance Cody

They took a huge hit defensively. The last 4 guys were taken in the top rounds. It is hard to replace that type of starting talent.
      Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

Florida at 27, Notre Dame at 29, West Virginia at 30, Illinois at 36 and then I stopped reading. This kills any credibility this thing may have ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
          It's because his system is idiocy.

The explanation is that a bunch of OSU's opponent's suck and lost yesterday.
          That actually makes good sense...

Beating crappy teams is exactly why tOSU's president doesn't want TCU/Boise in the national title game. So if tOSU's opponents are crappy, they should drop, right?
          **** her in da *****!

Comment

I think Boise State would beat Ohio State, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas A&M, and Nebraska and anyone I have a good shot against the other teams mentioned.
            Would is the wrong word. Could or even should are better choices. Would implies it is a foregone conclusion. I personally think they "should" beat most of those teams and could beat the others.

Illinois should have a higher SOS than the rest of the Big 10, they are a major reason why the other Big 10 teams struggle on this stat. Along with Minnesota and Indiana in particular. Big 10s problem this year is that it is very top heavy and very bottom heavy. The good teams are all pretty damn good but the rest of the league has been pretty awful. Penn State and Iowa have been solid but the rest of the teams are certainly on the weaker side of average or worse. Wisconsin, OSU and Michigan State are all strong teams though who will be counted on to get the league it's bowl wins if the division is to beat any "real" teams.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
              Anyone that is a Tony Pike fan needs their head examined. Your little brother complex is showing.
              LOL

perhaps i should change my avatar to a pic of brian st pierre

Comment

Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
                LOL

perhaps i should change my avatar to a pic of brian st pierre
                :) That is funny!

Comment

The team that went undefeated last year came back almost completely intact and was the #1 team in the country without question coming into this year and the games they've lost... they gave them away.
                  Bama got their butts kicked by SC, plain and simple. An example of teams giving wins away would be FSU vs. the public schools from NC this season.

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
                    That actually makes good sense...

Beating crappy teams is exactly why tOSU's president doesn't want TCU/Boise in the national title game. So if tOSU's opponents are crappy, they should drop, right?
                    they're still better than most of what Boise plays on Tuesday nights at the local Y

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
                      What has Alabama done this season to give any proof that they should be undefeated?
                      Did you miss the Auburn game? They basically stomped their throat in for 1.5 quarters. Then started playing like they were supposed to win.

Originally posted by HindSight View Post
                      they're still better than most of what Boise plays on Tuesday nights at the local Y
                      True, but you are completely missing the point. The same "if your opponents are not very good, then you don't deserve a high ranking in the BCS" logic applies to both major and minor conferences.

edit: I was just trolling tOSU's president really.

I really haven't read about an ELO ranking system ever. (and quite frankly, I could probably wikipedia it but one is just as flawed as another)
                      Last edited by descendency; 11-30-2010, 10:34 AM.
                      **** her in da *****!

Comment

I think you're missing the point of Gee's statements. He's saying they don't deserve to play for the title because they don't have to play anybody to get there. Despite Iowa and Miami losing, they're still A LOT better than the crap Boise usually plays.

The fact that a team can rise or fall based on their opponents winning or losing is beyond stupid. The fact that a bad team can be hidden in the SoS if they only play other bad teams is beyond stupid. The whole computer component of the BCS is beyond stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by bustabinary View Post
                          Some of the systems weigh SOS more heavily than others.

There's a reason that the highest/lowest are dropped, the rest are averaged, and it's only one component in the BCS.

I'm no expert on the math behind ELO (havn't really studied it), but I think you can only be ranked high if you beat other highly ranked teams or your losses are only against quality teams. You don't benefit at all from beating someone ranked lower than you. Because of that, the non-conference schedules are crucial in determining initial scores for teams in your conference.
                          Exaaaactly. The computers are infinitely less biased than, um, human voters and THE COACHES OF THE TEAMS.

I say get rid of the AP and coaches polls completely, since none of them watch games anyways. It ain't the computers that are broken. It's the human element of the rankings.

Comment

Uhh, Bama lost 3 starters from the #1 scoring defense last yr. to the 1st 2 rds of the last draft: McClain to the Raiders & Kareem Jackson to the Texans in the 1st rd, Cody to the Ravens later, then starting DE Brandon Deaderick to the Giants in Rd. 7.

So the Tide started 2 freshman corners, only 2 experienced D-linemen (although one was Dareus, suspended for the 1st 2 games) & LB was the only area of majority starter experience, you still can't underestimate the loss of 1st team AA McClain who they really missed in the middle, the best my team's had at the position since Derrick Thomas.

Granted the offense was experienced, but no team can lose that much talent & repeat as a NC, just doesnt happen. Even a terrific recruiter like Saban did the best he could with what he had, I don't blame him or DC Kirby Smart. Actually I was surprised they did as well as they did with their brutal SEC schedule, they only came from behind to beat Arkansas on the road in the late 4th qtr b/c Mallett got the panicky yips & started throwing INTs right & left. They beat a horribly overrated Florida team at home, & note that the normally formidable Gators lost a lot of talent to the NFL & graduation too.

Not to make excuses here, but if there was a fail consistently it was at QB where McElroy dicked up the LSU & Auburn games with red zone turnovers. The passing offense actually improved over the NC yr. with Julio Jones getting 199 yds vs #2 Auburn, & Maze leading in scoring, both of them will be playing on Sundays next season.

I'd still like to see Boise St. take on LSU in Baton Rouge, Auburn, SCAR in Columbia, Arkansas in Fayetteville, or even Mississippi St. or Ole Miss, Tennessee or Florida in down yrs, wonder what their W-L rcd would be....

Comment

Well, I have no doubt that Boise would beat the piss out of Florida this year. The Gators are absolutely awful in every facet of the game. Wayyy too much talent lost over the last two years.

I've never understood why cfb fans think you can just replace talent like that and keep on churning. Those Bama and Florida NC teams could stand toe to toe with just about any NC team ever. They were that good.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                                Exaaaactly. The computers are infinitely less biased than, um, human voters and THE COACHES OF THE TEAMS.

I say get rid of the AP and coaches polls completely, since none of them watch games anyways. It ain't the computers that are broken. It's the human element of the rankings.
                                The computer systems have a ton of error AND human bias. And those computer algorithms are pretty much written by one or two people per "system".

I'll take the biases of a collective group of people across the country, across many different fan bases, with disparate wants and needs (nefarious or with good intent), and with widely different approaches to ranking teams. All of their biases tends to cancel each other out, a hell of a lot more than just a handful of geeks with their own biases.

I have no idea people can't see this. The computer systems simply do not have enough non-human biased info to form a reasonably accurate network of comparative rankings.

For example, ELO (which most of these algorithms borrow from), requires 20, yes 20, games for the rankings to even be accepted in the chess world. And every player in the chess world starts off with the same points (1200 pts).

Do these computer rankings start everyone off with the same points? I don't think so. Otherwise there would be no rankings at the beginning of the season. They use historical data and human data.

Get it through your heads that the computers are controlled by only a few people, and each has their own system with it's own flaws. Do not be fooled into thinking that this is all logic, it's not. It's actually a much worse way of doing things.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information