Urban Meyer stepping down?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
    Well put. The fans of top schools are insane when it comes to expectations. There simply are too many top quality teams to expect an NC every couple of years.
    2nd that diabsoule's post was well put.

There are too many top tier college programs now who compete cut-throat viciously for the top talent, & there's a good reason why those same programs are always among the top-ranked recruiting classes yr after yr. That's also why you would think the successful college coaches who go to the NFL would also be successful there, but usually that's not true, it's the other way around that true (Saban, Carroll, well maybe not Weis).

You don't have to be a good recruiter in the NFL, where you have to play for the team that drafts you, unless your name is Manning or Elway :--)
    Last edited by LizardState; 12-10-2010, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
      SWDC: Where 2 NCs in 5 years just doesn't cut it.
      that's why we american football.
      CHRIS PETERSEN > STEVE SARKISIAN AND JIM MORA. CALL ME WHEN ONE MAKES A BCS BOWL.

Originally posted by slightlyabroncosfan
      JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

Comment

Possible candidates at Florida

Dan Mullen, Mississippi State: Many say Gators offense hasn't been the same since he left.

Kyle Whittingham, Utah: Has continued Urban Meyer's success in Salt Lake City.

Charlie Strong, Louisville: First-year head coach may not have enough experience.

Chris Petersen, Boise State:
        Lots of similarities between Meyer of 2004 and Petersen of today.

Bob Stoops, Oklahoma: There was talk last year that this former Gators DC might be ready to move on.

Gary Patterson, TCU: Name always comes up for BCS-conference openings.

Jon Gruden, Monday Night Football: Said no to Miami; is Florida preferable to an NFL gig?

Randy Edsall, Connecticut: Perennial big-school candidate spent four years with Jacksonville Jaguars.

Jim Harbaugh, Stanford: Maybe the hottest head coach in the country.

Bobby Petrino, Arkansas: Reportedly the second choice when Meyer was hired.

Kevin Sumlin, Houston: Jeremy Foley supposedly is impressed by this former Bob Stoops OC.

Larry Fedora, Southern Miss: Three seasons as Gators OC under Ron Zook.

Will Muschamp, Texas DC: Horns' head-coaching-in-waiting has SEC background at Georgia, LSU.

Brian Schottenheimer, New York Jets OC: Coaching up-and-comer was Danny Wuerffel's backup for 1996 title run.

Gene Chizik, Auburn:
        Could Florida native and Gators alum leave potential Cam Newton mess behind?

Chip Kelly, Oregon: Could he be in need of another challenge already?

Kirk Ferentz, Iowa: Well respected coaching mind doesn't feel like a great fit in razzle-dazzle SEC.

Kerwin Bell, Jacksonville: Former Gators QB's club led I-AA in scoring, total offense.

Mike Shanahan, Washington Redskins: Long-ago Gators OC is a good friend of Jeremy Foley's.

Thanks BoneKrusher
        IN SHAD WE TRUST

Comment

From the FSU perspective only a couple of those worry me and none of them are likely viable long term candidates (Muschamp and Harbaugh). I actually hope UF goes with Chris Peterson so FSU can just kill them in recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by MassNole View Post
            From the FSU perspective only a couple of those worry me and none of them are likely viable long term candidates (Muschamp and Harbaugh). I actually hope UF goes with Chris Peterson so FSU can just kill them in recruiting.
            Interesting observation in regards to Peterson. He's done a pretty good job of recruiting talent to "backwater USA" up in Boise, so much so that the Broncos would most likely pound either Florida or FSU in a game.

Comment

Boise State would not pound FSU with a month to prepare with the current staff at FSU. Florida, yeah they likely would.

I am not going to flame or try an incite anything, but lets leave it with Chris Peterson's faith would be a big, big issue for many of the kids he'd be recruiting in Florida.

Comment

Mullen seems like the most likely choice, if I was a betting man I'd say it's going to be denim Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by MassNole View Post
                  Boise State would not pound FSU with a month to prepare with the current staff at FSU. Florida, yeah they likely would.

I am not going to flame or try an incite anything, but lets leave it with Chris Peterson's faith would be a big, big issue for many of the kids he'd be recruiting in Florida.
                  You can say that Chris Peterson does what he does without getting the recruits that all the big programs did, he he were to continue the way he coaches with elite recruits that he would be able to get at Florida? It would be scary....

Dont see Peterson leaving though.

Originally posted by 49erNation85
                  I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

Comment

many people are speculating the gators are looking outside the urban meyer tree, that means you could cross of willinghan-mullen-strong. some say that bob stoops and peterson are the favorite as of right now. personally, id like to see strong get the job, but its not looking like it right now

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
                      I doubt it. If he leaves they will likely promote someone already versed in their system. And they are still playing rinky dink teams, so that doesn't change.
                      Chris Petersen's first year was the year they shocked OU....that coaching change didnt set them back.

Petersen isnt goin to UF.

Originally posted by 49erNation85
                      I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
                        Chris Petersen's first year was the year they shocked OU....that coaching change didnt set them back.

Petersen isnt goin to UF.
                        Props on completely missing the point.

Comment

• How many recruits will they lose and players to the draft now?

Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown
                          The most important thing, however, is how strong their swagger factors are.
                          Newton
                          South of the Mason Dixon +10 swagger
                          Barely literate +5 swagger
                          Thief +15 swagger
                          Kicked off of a team of thugs +20 swagger
                          Big, average speed -3 swagger
                          Hasn't done jacksquat on the field +15 swagger
                          Total Swagger: 62
                          ATL College Park Zone 3* +20 swagger Bonus pts

Comment

• I like Charlie Strong or Dan Mullen...those are the guys we need

Thanks BoneKrusher
                            IN SHAD WE TRUST

Comment

• I wouldn't worry a whole lot about recruiting. The Florida brand does most of the work. You just have to be a willing recruiter, not necessarily a great one there.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Steve Spurrier a call

Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown
                                The most important thing, however, is how strong their swagger factors are.
                                Newton
                                South of the Mason Dixon +10 swagger
                                Barely literate +5 swagger
                                Thief +15 swagger
                                Kicked off of a team of thugs +20 swagger
                                Big, average speed -3 swagger
                                Hasn't done jacksquat on the field +15 swagger
                                Total Swagger: 62
                                ATL College Park Zone 3* +20 swagger Bonus pts

Comment

Working...
                                X