X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• draftguru151
    started a topic College Gameday Thread: Bowl Games

College Gameday Thread: Bowl Games

Discuss all bowl and playoff games here.

Bowl games start next Saturday so I figured we could get this started.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ntype/3/week/1

• BuckNaked
    replied
    So how about that Senior Bowl comin up...

Leave a comment:

• LizardState
    replied
    States rhgts are a dinosaur issue

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JHL6719
    The Civil War was over the South's RIGHT TO GOVERN THEMSELVES.... not slavery... the Union had slaves too.

If you honestly believe that literally hundreds of thousands of soldiers on EITHER side of the war were all willing to go out and die over a slave, you most certainly deserve to be re-educated on the subject of The Union vs. The Confederacy.
    the issue of state's rights was regarding slavery.
    Nobody gave a **** about slaves when the Civil War occurred except a few Abolitionist fanatics most of whom had never seen a slave or black person in their entire lives, or maybe the slaves themselves, assuming they had even heard of the war at all who were kept about 98% illiterate & ignorant of anything (by most Southern states' law -- you could go to prison for teaching a slave to read).

States rights & the way the Constitution was interpreted regarding that issue was the #1 issue in every Presidential election from Washington's re-election to Abe Lincoln winning over 5 other major candidates in 1860.

Then came the Civil War......

Amazing how states rights disappeared once R. E. Lee affixed his signature to the surrender at Appomattox in April, 1865 isn't it? The Federal Gov't became this overwhelming juggernaut & state govts. have been obsolete ever since. Yetthey still continue to eff things up & tax people out the wazoo & give back little or nothing, amazing.

Leave a comment:

• Brent
    replied
    Originally posted by JHL6719 View Post
    The Civil War was over the South's RIGHT TO GOVERN THEMSELVES.... not slavery... the Union had slaves too.

If you honestly believe that literally hundreds of thousands of soldiers on EITHER side of the war were all willing to go out and die over a slave, you most certainly deserve to be re-educated on the subject of The Union vs. The Confederacy.
    the issue of state's rights was regarding slavery.

Oh, and, uh, sorry you lost, Oregon.

Leave a comment:

• JHL6719
    replied
    Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
    Could be worse, we could be bragging about winning a war that no one on earth was even alive for.

How ironic is it that arguably the best coach in Michigan history (Fielding Yost) was the son of a Confederate Soldier?

Leave a comment:

• Saints-Tigers
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
    When your self worth is based on how well your college football conference performs, this world view makes sense.

Could be worse, we could be bragging about winning a war that no one on earth was even alive for.

Leave a comment:

• Smooth Criminal
    replied
    First, Auburn did not dominate the game. At all. They won on a last second field goal. How you're going to say thats dominant is beyond me. If anything, it proves the game with Auburn, supposedly the best SEC team, is closer to a coin flip than a sure thing.

It is definitely not "without a doubt" that LSU or Bama can beat Oregon. I would bet on Bama, but that LSU team isn't anywhere near as great as you're making them out to be.

If Oregon played these games, I'd guess 4-2 with losses to Auburn and Bama. No ones disputing that the SEC is very good, mainly at the top, but you are really overrating their lower teams.

Leave a comment:

• JHL6719
    replied
    Originally posted by fear the elf View Post
    Really, because the best team from the SEC...you know, the one that went undefeated during conference play and won the SEC championship game...only beat them by 3 points on a last second FG. I think that Oregon might have done OK against those other teams. Arrogant as ****.

I think Oregon might have done "OK" against those other SEC West teams too, but I think Bama, LSU, and Auburn all beat Oregon... and I think it's 50/50 with Mississippi St. and Arkansas.

Hell, Auburn only beat Mississippi St. by 3 points. Auburn only beat Kentucky by 3 points.

Auburn had to score almost 70 points to beat Arkansas, and that was an Arkansas team playing without Ryan Mallett after the 1st quarter. Tyler Wilson came in an threw for over 330+ yards and 4 TD passes in 3 quarters against Auburn.

LSU needed TWO scrubs at quarterback who neither could complete a pass that day to lose to Auburn by a touchdown.

Auburn only beat Bama by a single point. Alabama should've been up 31-0 in the 2nd quarter if Trent Richardson simply catches a pass in the endzone that hit him right in the hands with nobody standing within 5 yards of him. Or if Mark Ingram's fumble goes out of bounds in that situation like it normally would have 99% of the time, instead of bouncing forward into the endzone and having an Auburn defender jump on it at the last possible fraction of an inch before it rolled out of the back of the endzone.

Now, Auburn won these games. It doesn't matter HOW they won... they won, period. It doesn't matter how you go undefeated in the SEC, all that matters is you did, because running the gauntlet in the SEC is quite different than going undefeated in ANY other conference, and they prove it every year.

The point is, I think several of these SEC West teams would prove an incredibly difficult matchup for Oregon, and I think 3 of them would come out on top without a doubt (Bama, LSU, Auburn)... with 2 others being a coin flip (Arkansas, Mississippi St.).

The final score doesn't in any way indicate how much Auburn dominated that game against Oregon, particularly defensively. It looked like both quarterbacks were rusty, especially in the 1st quarter, both kids were just a hair off on routine throws that were leading to turnovers.

Bottom line is, I think Oregon comes out at BEST with a 3-3 record if they played the SEC West... I'll give them the benefit of the doubt in the two games that are in my opinion, coin flips.
    Last edited by JHL6719; 01-13-2011, 12:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JoeJoeBrown
    replied
    Originally posted by fear the elf View Post
    that's so sad...
    When your self worth is based on how well your college football conference performs, this world view makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• RealityCheck
    replied
    perhaps even Mississippi St. would beat Oregon.
    GTFO, I'm the one who trolls that way around here.

Leave a comment:

• TACKLE
    replied
    I don't think there's a single team in the SEC Western division that wouldn't have beaten Oregon other than Ole Miss.

I think Bama, LSU, Arkansas, and perhaps even Mississippi St. would beat Oregon.
    lol funny guy.

Wait....you were being serious weren't you?

For all the talk about Oregon's "speed", Auburn was bigger and faster on both sides of the ball, and at all 3 levels on both sides of the ball. Auburn made Oregon's stars and "playmakers" look like a bunch of C-USA castoffs.
    Ya they really made them look like a bunch of C-USA castoffs when they barely squeaked out a 3 point win on the last play of the game. It was very clear throughout that 22-19 game that Oregon just didn't have the athletes or toughness to compete with an SEC team.

The main difference is at the line of scrimmage when teams from these other conferences can't punch it in the endzone from the goalline against SEC front sevens.
    Well there's no way a Pac-10 front seven could of held Auburn without a touchdown in the redzone or could of stuffed them on the goal line on two separate occasions. But some how they did which is very odd considering they didn't have a SEC caliber front seven.

Leave a comment:

• fear the elf
    replied
    I don't think there's a single team in the SEC Western division that wouldn't have beaten Oregon other than Ole Miss.

I think Bama, LSU, Arkansas, and perhaps even Mississippi St. would beat Oregon.

All these Big-Ten fudpuckers on here that are always ranting about "SEC speedzzz" as if it doesn't exist get to see it first hand almost every time an SEC team plays in the national championship game, or gets matched up against one of the slow, weakling Big-Ten teams in bowl games. Hell, I've never seen so many players get knocked out of games before in my entire life until I get to see Big-Ten teams get physically THROTTLED by an SEC team. It's incredible.

For all the talk about Oregon's "speed", Auburn was bigger and faster on both sides of the ball, and at all 3 levels on both sides of the ball. Auburn made Oregon's stars and "playmakers" look like a bunch of C-USA castoffs.

There wasn't a single ****ing time when one of Oregon's players broke loose in the open field that he wasn't tracked down from behind... and that's EXACTLY why Oregon couldn't put up the points that they're used to putting up.

The main difference is at the line of scrimmage when teams from these other conferences can't punch it in the endzone from the goalline against SEC front sevens. You saw it with Texas and Alabama last year, and Oregon and Auburn this year. The defensive lines in the SEC are simply too big, physical, fast and strong for these other conferences to handle. Period.

But it's not only in national title games that you see it either. It's also in all these other bowl games every year where high flying, high scoring offenses from the Big-12 get matched up with SEC teams that they can't even come CLOSE to scoring and piling up the yardage and points that they get away with playing other Big-12 teams that can't even spell defense.

The SEC East was certainly down this year, but I think as many as 5 teams from the SEC West could've beaten anybody else in the country. Hell, if the the kid from Arkansas just picks the blocked punt up and walks it into the endzone in the Sugar Bowl, the SEC West goes undefeated in bowls, with 3 of the 5 being absolute laughers...

Now there's a kid who won't be getting into any Big-Ten classrooms.
    Really, because the best team from the SEC...you know, the one that went undefeated during conference play and won the SEC championship game...only beat them by 3 points on a last second FG. I think that Oregon might have done OK against those other teams. Arrogant as ****.

Leave a comment:

• fear the elf
    replied
    Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
    Playoff makes too much sense for everyone, I can't think of anything in the world that needs to be changed more.
    that's so sad...

Leave a comment:

• Saints-Tigers
    replied
    Speed is never the issue for other conferences IMO, it's always the SEC's physicality. We go hard down hurr.

Leave a comment:

• JHL6719
    replied
    Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
    there are a ******** of people down here that are obsessed with the civil war. you wouldn't believe how many people around here refuse to acknowledge that the war was primarily over slavery, but let's not go there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information