The 2011 Big 10 Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
    LB Dorian Bell suspended 2 games for the reefer. Already served one game of that suspension so far at the Sugar Bowl, will sit out against Akron this September too. C'mon Dorian, that's not way to compete for a starting job.
    I liked Bell a lot as a recruit. I'm excited to see what he can do this year. Not a good start, but I think he could be a solid player if he gets the job starting next to Sabino and Sweat.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

I'll take a really early shot at a depth chart for Michigan. This is probably more my preferred depth chart than what I think will actually happen.

QB- Devin Gardner, RS Freshman
      RB- Michael Cox, RS Junior
      FB- John McColgan, RS Senior
      WR- Junior Hemingway, RS Senior
      WR- Darryl Stonum, Senior
      TE- Kevin Koger, Senior
      LT- Taylor Lewan, RS Sophmore
      LG- Ricky Barnum, RS Junior
      C- David Molk, RS Senior
      RG- Patrick Omameh, RS Junior
      RT- Mark Huyge, RS Senior

DE- Ryan Van Bergen, RS Senior
      DT- Mike Martin, Senior
      DT- Quinton Washington, RS sophmore
      DE- Craig Roh, Junior
      SLB- J.B. Fitzgerald, Senior
      MLB- Kenny Demens, RS Junior
      WLB- Kellen Jones, Freshman
      CB- Courtney Avery, Sophmore
      CB- Troy Woolfolk, RS Senior
      FS- Carvin Johnson, Sophmore
      SS- Marvin Robinson, Sophmore

Do everything RB/WR/QB/KR/PR- Denard Robinson, Junior

Ok, so some of these guys have switched positions, but I guess I'm kind of hoping they get switched back.

First off, yes, I don't have Denard as the starting QB. If you watch SDSU's offense (and Auburn's 13-0 offense etc) I don't think Denard is accurate enough, especially on the deep ball, to run it effectively. Gardner on the other hand throws a beautiful deep ball. Denard could be a Heisman candidate as a do everything type guy. I'd love to see him get about 20+ touches per game in various ways. Get him in space and he's deadly.

The RB position could be any of a number of guys. Mike just happens to be my favorite back on the team. I could easily see it being Hopkins, Toussaint, Shaw, or even Denard.

I have Roundtree competing with Odoms as the slot. I just can't stand Roundtree. He drops way to many passes, isn't all that fast, and really isn't great going up to get the ball either. I'd prefer if he wasn't a starter.

Left guard could be Barnum or Elliott Mealer IMO (or possibly even Will Campbell, although I'd love to see him switched back to DT). Barnum's probably better in space, pulling, etc. but Mealer has the size and strength.

Right tackle seems like it could be Huyge or Michael Schofield. Again, Huyge has the size, but Schofield is probably more mobile. Schofield will be starting at some point, it just might not be right away this year.

At NT, I'd love to see Will Campbell get a shot, but we'll see. Depending on how he moves at 320, this could also be Richard Ash.

LB's tough. Demens will get the start in the middle. The other two are up for grabs. I think Fitzgerald will get the first look at SAM. I really like Kellen Jones as a prospect, so that's why he's in at the WILL. It could easily be any of a numbers of guys (Cam Gordon comes to mind).

The secondary is tricky. I loved Carvin Johnson as a safety, but he got moved to Spur/Bandit/whatever it was. I'd love to see him get moved back. I don't like Vinopal back there very much. Marvin Robinson got moved to LB, but I;d much rather see him back ther than Kovacs (yes, I know, Kovacs does play his ass off, I just don't think he's nearly athletic enough). Hell, Woofolk could go back to FS. The CB's could be a bunch of guys.
      Last edited by ironman4579; 01-12-2011, 10:39 AM.

Originally posted by Jakey
      WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

i can't imagine Denard won't be the starting QB next year. He's not ideal in a pro style system if that's what they run, but he had an amazing year this year and can throw the ball decently. He's too amazing of a runner and playmaker to not start.

Comment

i can't imagine Denard won't be the starting QB next year. He's not ideal in a pro style system if that's what they run, but he had an amazing year this year and can throw the ball decently. He's too amazing of a runner and playmaker to not start.
          He can throw decently, and he probably will be the starting QB (if he sticks around). I'm just not sure he's accurate enough to play in the system Michigan will run. His deep ball is actually not good at all, and that's a big part of the offense.

I'd like to have the same QB two years in a row sure, and Denard is true playmaker. But Gardner is just a better passer and, really, a better fit for the new (old?) offense. Like I said, you get the ball in Denard's hands 20-25 times a game (say, 10 runs, 5 or 6 catches, a couple plays at QB, kick and possibly punt returns), and I think he could easily be a 200+ total yards per game type of guy.

Again though, that's just my preference. I'm sure if he sticks around he'll probably start.

Comment

Originally posted by ironman4579 View Post
            QB- Devin Gardner, RS Freshman
            RB- Michael Cox, RS Junior
            FB- John McColgan, RS Senior
            WR- Junior Hemingway, RS Senior
            WR- Darryl Stonum, Senior
            TE- Kevin Koger, Senior
            LT- Taylor Lewan, RS Sophmore
            LG- Ricky Barnum, RS Junior
            C- David Molk, RS Senior
            RG- Patrick Omameh, RS Junior
            RT- Mark Huyge, RS Senior

DE- Ryan Van Bergen, RS Senior
            DT- Mike Martin, Senior
            DT- Quinton Washington, RS sophmore
            DE- Craig Roh, Junior
            SLB- J.B. Fitzgerald, Senior
            MLB- Kenny Demens, RS Junior
            WLB- Kellen Jones, Freshman
            CB- Courtney Avery, Sophmore
            CB- Troy Woolfolk, RS Senior
            FS- Carvin Johnson, Sophmore
            SS- Marvin Robinson, Sophmore

Do everything RB/WR/QB/KR/PR- Denard Robinson, Junior
            I can work with it, but I would make some slight adjustments. Here's my depth chart.

QB- Denard Robinson
            RB- Fitzgerald Toussaint/Mike Cox
            FB- John McColgan
            WR- Darryl Stonum
            WR- Junior Hemingway
            Slot- Martavious Odoms
            TE- Kevin Koger
            LT- Taylor Lewan
            LG- Ricky Barnum
            C- Dave Molk
            RG- Patrick Omameh or Elliott Mealer
            RT- Mike Schofield or Patrick Omameh

I still think a year of backup duty and spot duty when Denard gets banged up would be beneficial to Gardner. Hoke won't have as much pressure on him in his first year as Rodriguez did, so he can afford to develop Gardner a bit more. I think if Toussaint stays healthy, he's the guy and he and Cox will split carries. Shaw and Smith will split five or six carries per game with Hopkins seeing goal-line and short-yardage carries. We could see Omameh bounce outside to tackle, but that depends on whether he adds weight or not and if Mealer outplays Schofield and Huyge in the offseason.

DE- Ryan Van Bergen
            DT- Mike Martin
            DT- Richard Ash or Quinton Washington or Will Campbell
            DE- Craig Roh
            SLB- Brandon Herron
            MLB- Kenny Demens
            WLB- Mike Jones
            CB- Courtney Avery
            FS- Troy Woolfolk or Carvin Johnson or J.T. Floyd
            SS- Jordan Kovacs
            CB- Troy Woolfolk or J.T. Floyd

Brandon Herron did some good things this year and then he was, of course, taken out for no reason. Mike Jones returns from a broken leg and he showed some flashes in limited action last year. He looks solid in coverage, but is learning the nuances of the position. Demens is easily the starter at WILL. At DT, I don't know who the No. 2 DT will be nor do I know who will be on that side of the ball, so we'll have to wait and see. Maybe Campbell can show something in the offseason. At corner, I have Avery because I like him a lot. He showed that he can cover more and more as the season progressed, but needs a ton of work on ball skills. I feel like Woolfolk would be most beneficial at free safety, though that depends on what Carvin Johnson does in the offseason and if J.T. Floyd moves to free safety and looks average. Floyd simply doesn't have the jets to be a Big 10 corner, but he's got good size and can probably be a decent FS. I don't think anyone displaces Kovacs at the beginning, but I'm not sure where Marvin Robinson ends up in Hoke's defense. Marvin (my favorite recruit from the '10 class) could be the starting SS or he could see time at FS.

If Denard is the QB, Stonum needs to return kicks. He's too good of a returner not to. Martavious Odoms, Drew Dileo and maybe Justice Hayes (if he doesn't redshirt) can handle the punts.

If Goudis signs, he's the likely kicker. Hagerbomb is the punter.

Comment

QB: Scheelhaase (rs-SO), Osei (SO) O'Toole (FR)
              RB: Ford (SR), Pollard (SR), Golden (rs-SO), ?Young?(FR)
              FB: Prosch (SO), Willets (SR), ?Becker?(SR)
              TE: E. Wilson (SO), Viliunas (JR), Lattimore (rs-SO), LaCosse (FR)
              WR: Jenkins (SR), Millines (SO), Lankford (SO), Harris (SO), ?Hull?(rs-SO), Sykes (SR), Williams (rs-FR), ...

WT: Allen (SR), C. Wilson (SR)
              WG: Thornton (JR), Sands (JR), ?Boles? (FR), ?Hill? (rs-FR)
              _C: Pocic (JR), Sands (JR), Feldmeyer (rs-SO)
              SG: Cornell (SR), ??
              ST: Lewis (JR), C. Wilson (SR), ???

Defense
              DE: Mercilus (JR), ?Kynard? (rs-SO), ?Woods? (rs-FR)
              DT: Spence (rs-SO), Ballew (SR), Howe (rs-FR)
              DT: Foster (JR), Teitsma (rs-FR), ? freshman?
              Bandit: Buchanan (JR), Staples (JR)
              WLB: Thomas (SR), Bates (rs-FR)
              MLB: Brown (SO), Denmark (SO)
              SLB: Henry (SR), A. Williams (JR), E. Thomas (rs-FR)

WCB: Green (JR), Thornton (FR), Nixon-Youman (JR)
              FS: ?Hull? (JR), ?Kirby? (FR), ?C. Williams? (FR)
              SS: T. Wilson (SR), Sanni (JR), ?Grimes? (FR), ?Rock (rs-FR), ?Days? (rs-FR)
              SCB: Hawthorne (JR), Ramsey (JR), Thrash (JR)

Comment

Tate is expected to transfer. It's unrelated to the coaching change (academics). However, it's still early, but it sounds like almost everyone else is going to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                  I can work with it, but I would make some slight adjustments. Here's my depth chart.

QB- Denard Robinson
                  RB- Fitzgerald Toussaint/Mike Cox
                  FB- John McColgan
                  WR- Darryl Stonum
                  WR- Junior Hemingway
                  Slot- Martavious Odoms
                  TE- Kevin Koger
                  LT- Taylor Lewan
                  LG- Ricky Barnum
                  C- Dave Molk
                  RG- Patrick Omameh or Elliott Mealer
                  RT- Mike Schofield or Patrick Omameh

DE- Ryan Van Bergen
                  DT- Mike Martin
                  DT- Richard Ash or Quinton Washington or Will Campbell
                  DE- Craig Roh
                  SLB- Brandon Herron
                  MLB- Kenny Demens
                  WLB- Mike Jones
                  CB- Courtney Avery
                  FS- Troy Woolfolk or Carvin Johnson or J.T. Floyd
                  SS- Jordan Kovacs
                  CB- Troy Woolfolk or J.T. Floyd

I don't disagree on Denard/Gardner. Gardner could use another year, especially with the offensive shift. That said, I still think Gardner is a better QB for the offense, and honestly, Denard would be better off in terms of draft status if he switched roles now. Still, I'm certain that Denard will be the starter, and we'll just see more designed QB runs than in a normal pro style offense.

I wouldn't mind Toussaint splitting carries with Cox, and I could see that. My problem with Toussaint is, yea he has great jump cuts. Unfortunately, he seems to want to do those jump cuts in the hole or behind the line. He's not Barry Sanders though. If he can learn to just hit the hole and then put those moves to use once he's into the second level, he can be an explosive back. Admittedly, he did look good in limited carries during the season, but then so did Cox. I could see the time share happening.

I'd also prefer Odoms over Roundtree in the slot, as I said above.

I feel like Omameh's kind of locked in at guard, but he's got the feet and agility to play tackle. I'd prefer to get Huyge out of the RT spot, but he might get the nod at tackle simply because he's a 5th year senior.

I completely forgot about Herron. He did play well actually. It will probably come down to a battle between him and Fitzgerald for the SAM spot, with Herron winning the job. I should have included Mike Jones at the WILL spot as another possibility. He's probably going to have to put on a bit of weight though. I think he was only listed at 205 this year. Honestly, there are alot of options at LB, and only Demens has a spot locked up.

Scoring defense: 36th.
                  Passing defense: 38th.
                  Rushing defense: 58th.

I meant to respond to this earlier as well.

Scoring offense: 19th
                  Passing offense: 11th
                  Rushing offense: 48th
                  Total offense: 16th

That scoring offense by the way was better than Rich Rod's supposedly "amazing" offense and all its yards (although it was only about 30 more yards per game than SDSU). SDSU had a 3,500 yard passer (Ryan Lindley, 3,830 yards and 28 TD's as a junior), a 1,500 yard rusher (Ronnie Hillman, 1,532 yards and 17 TD's as a freshman), and two 1,000 yard receivers (Vincent Brown, 1,352 yards and 10 TD's as a senior, and DeMarco Sampson, 1,220 yards and 8 TD's as a senior).

So not only did SDSU have a far better defense than Michigan, but they also had at worst an equal offense, and likely a better one.

People can hate on Brady Hoke all they want, but I'm getting more and more excited about the hire.
                  Last edited by ironman4579; 01-12-2011, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                    A 2nd report came out shortly after stating that the players from the defense are still cheering because they can't stop anything.
                    best post this website has ever seen

Comment

Originally posted by HindSight View Post
                      I missed that the first time, but man, treat doesn't disappoint.

Comment

Originally posted by HindSight View Post
                        I would have responded, but it made me sad. Treat always comes through, even when it hurts my soul.

Comment

LB Dorian Bell suspended 2 games for the reefer. Already served one game of that suspension so far at the Sugar Bowl, will sit out against Akron this September too. C'mon Dorian, that's not way to compete for a starting job.
                          That falls on Ohio State's compliance department. There's no way they told him it was against the rules. How was he supposed to know?

Comment

That falls on Ohio State's compliance department. There's no way they told him it was against the rules. How was he supposed to know?
                            The team rules thing is funny. Usually this means that it was a 2nd drug violation. SMOKE WEED EVERA DAY!

Comment

Hoke is weeping. This gives us OSU fans a fun thing to laugh at down the road.

Comment

You Michigan guys know I love you all.

I could never seriously have ill feelings for the school that gave me football Jesus.

Even though the divisions should have been done geographically, I'm happy we get to face Michigan every year. That, and MSU can all collectively choke on Dantonio's shlong while also storming the dorm room of some barely 18 year old freshman because he talked **** about them, while Dantonio claims it was god's will and that all will be available to face Michigan the next day.

I'm probably visiting East Lansing in April-ish, and just as last time, I plan on getting hammered, telling them all how much their school blows, and then pissing on as many university buildings as possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information