The 2011 Big 10 Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
    After seeing Mattison rush three and give up 58 yards to a rookie sixth-rounder on 3rd and 19 in the biggest game of the year, I can tell he's going to fit right in at Michigan.

1-10. It's a revolution. Mike Martin as the only DL.
    Funny thing is even then, the secondary would still be Michigan's biggest liability on defense...

Also, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO we get to keep Soup!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ironman4579 View Post
      So does that mean we're running a 3-4?
      Apparently, it's a...wait for it...wait for it...4-3. Maybe even a 4-3 that doesn't see them line up in a 3-3-5 and slide 250-pound Craig Roh to DT pre-snap.

Comment

Apparently, it's a...wait for it...wait for it...4-3. Maybe even a 4-3 that doesn't see them line up in a 3-3-5 and slide 250-pound Craig Roh to DT pre-snap.
        That doesn't make sense. Roh must BEASTZ from the INSIDZ!!1!11

Seriously though, I read it was going to be a 4-3 a little while after I asked the question. I suppose I should have just looked at some of the youtubez of the '95 and '96 defenses to see what might be happening. Can I get a Roh/Van Bergen/Martin/Any of the 300+ lbs guys D Line? I think I can, and it pleases mighty Odin.

Originally posted by Jakey
        WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

• It's weird, though. Hoke is letting his defensive coordinator run the defense that he (Mattison) wants. That's stupid. Everyone knows that you should force a crappy defense that you're not well-suited for on your DC who knows another scheme.

Comment

It's weird, though. Hoke is letting his defensive coordinator run the defense that he (Mattison) wants. That's stupid. Everyone knows that you should force a crappy defense that you're not well-suited for on your DC who knows another scheme.
            You Michigan guys have no idea what to do with yourselves, do you?

You finally have a respectable coaching staff. Congrats. Maybe some day you will recruit some respectable players.... Starting off with 10 incoming freshman is going to make that tough.

Ball busting aside, I really do like that staff Hoke has put together. There is hope for you guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
              You Michigan guys have no idea what to do with yourselves, do you?
              I'm definitely a little confused, that's for sure. Hoke just offered two Tennessee DL commits. While both said they'll stick with Tennessee, it's nice to get after some DL and LBs. Hoke also told Devin Lucien that he would offer him as a DB instead of a WR. While Lucien basically told him to **** off, it's nice to see an emphasis on defense.

You finally have a respectable coaching staff. Congrats.
              It's an odd feeling, though I'll miss Greg Frey as the OL coach.

Maybe some day you will recruit some respectable players.... Starting off with 10 incoming freshman is going to make that tough.
              Yeah, for sure. I hope they keep Fisher and Countess. It is a defensive-heavy class, though, which is good.

Comment

I'm definitely a little confused, that's for sure. Hoke just offered two Tennessee DL commits. While both said they'll stick with Tennessee, it's nice to get after some DL and LBs. Hoke also told Devin Lucien that he would offer him as a DB instead of a WR. While Lucien basically told him to **** off, it's nice to see an emphasis on defense.

It's an odd feeling, though I'll miss Greg Frey as the OL coach.

Yeah, for sure. I hope they keep Fisher and Countess. It is a defensive-heavy class, though, which is good.
                Yeah, it's tough to keep recruits when you have Brandon delaying the hire like that. Oh well, it's a sacrificed recruiting year, one that you will probably make up for in spades next season after Hoke is established.

I still can't get over your DC. I am not happy about that. He will bring some thumpers in to play, that is for sure. None of those tiny/fast RichRod recruits.

Mattison is one hell of a coach. Hoke is doing and saying the right things.

That's enough complimenting UM for me for this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironman4579 View Post
                  That doesn't make sense. Roh must BEASTZ from the INSIDZ!!1!11

Seriously though, I read it was going to be a 4-3 a little while after I asked the question. I suppose I should have just looked at some of the youtubez of the '95 and '96 defenses to see what might be happening. Can I get a Roh/Van Bergen/Martin/Any of the 300+ lbs guys D Line? I think I can, and it pleases mighty Odin.
                  from what I've read the initial word is that the first look will be Roh-RVD-Martin-Black as the DL but will give guys like BWC(who got moved back to DT), Quinton Washington, and Richard Ash a chance to win the DT spot and keep RVB at DE.

Also like what Al Borges has said about the players we have. Said he likes the players they have, but they are going to use the Spring to find the right combination, and they will use practice AND game situations to determine the starters. That means Borges and Hoke won't want till mid season to put guys like Patrick Omameh and Taylor Lewan on the OL over the Mark Hurges and Perry Dorrenstiens of the world.

I also highly doubt Mattision will wait to November to put guys like Kenny Demens and JB Fitzgerald in the starting line up over guys like Obi Ezeh and Cam Gordon.

While the staff isn't going to be the all star staff some people thought (though Borges and Mattison are impressive coordinator coups) the staff is filled with guys who get what they need to do to win.

Comment

• Reports are that DT Jewhan Edwards has left the Gophers. He was a decent starter last year, and has some pro potential, but only one year of eligibility left.

His reason appears to be that someone on the team "snitched" him out and he got in trouble for tweeting about it.

God I hate modern culture....

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• http://www.cleveland.com/buckeyeblog...ar_backup.html

COLUMBUS - Ohio State confirmed today that backup offensive lineman Sam Longo requested and has been granted a release from his scholarship by the Buckeyes.

The second-year lineman from Bellbrook High School, near Dayton, redshirted his first season in Columbus in 2009, then played in just one game in 2010, against Eastern Michigan. He was behind three other linemen in his class, Corey Linsley, Jack Mewhort and Marcus Hall, on the depth chart.

Continued...

Comment

• Proof that oversigning OSU is clearing room for Clowney.

[/sarcasm]

But seriously, that guy never even sniffed playing time. I'm sure he wants an opportunity to just play somewhere. He was brought in as a project, and obviously it didn't pan out. Good luck to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by dansaint View Post
                          hoping beyond hope that LeShoure, Luiget, or Wilson stick around for their Senior season (really hoping all 3 do but that's fantasy land).

Illinois will always be a "middle of the pack"...so all we really want are bowl games and signs of improvement. Illinois is never gonna compete for the Big 10 title (we may get lucky here or there but it'll never be consistent)...so as long as we can get some good recruits in here and be competitive...that's all any Illini fan can realistically hope for.

Hoping for a 9-3 or 8-4 season
                          They'll be missed but what? Speak for yourself on all your other views. I don't know what type of Illini fans you're talking about.

Comment

• I have friends that went to high school with him, and they say he's going to Cincy.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

• Sniper this quote from Greg Mattison is going to make you faint...

"You can drop all the great x's and o's you want, but if they don't fit the players that are there at that point it isn't going to work"

Comment

• Originally posted by Marino13 View Post
                                Sniper this quote from Greg Mattison is going to make you faint...

"You can drop all the great x's and o's you want, but if they don't fit the players that are there at that point it isn't going to work"

Originally posted by Jakey
                                WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information