No announcement yet.

The 2011 Big 10 Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gophers safety Kim Royston is granted the elusive 6th year of eligibility. This, along with the fact that he transferred from Wisconsin, should make him about 35 years old.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/...-msu-down-line

Reserve quarterback Joe Boisture is leaving Michigan State's program.

"It is in my best interest that I have decided to leave the Michigan State football program," Boisture said in a statement released to Rivals.com. "I love the university, my teammates, the medical staff and most of all Coach Dantonio. Coach D truly cares about me and all of his players off the field as well as on the field. I have the utmost respect for him as a coach and person and wish him and the Spartans nothing but success."

Boisture originally committed to Boston College before switching to Michigan State, where he enrolled early and redshirted in 2010.

His exit leaves the Spartans with two quarterback options for 2012: Maxwell and heralded incoming freshman Connor Cook. Cook is the lone quarterback committed for the 2011 class, but expect Michigan State to sign at least one signal-caller in 2012.

Comment

• Ummmm Wow

12 Iowa FB players admitted to hospital due to workouts.

Some Iowa players noted on their Facebook pages in recent days that the workouts included “100 squats and pushing a sled 100 yards” and that those drills had given them leg problems. The Cedar Rapids Gazette reported the players were treated for exertional rhabdomyolysis, an acute breakdown of the kidneys.
        If this is true, some meathead strength coach needs to be fired.

Comment

• When I played in high school we regularly pushed the sled more than 100 yards. And the 100 squats isn't that bad assuming it was in multiple sets with proper weight (although it doesn't seem too effective).

Comment

• Originally posted by GB12 View Post
            When I played in high school we regularly pushed the sled more than 100 yards. And the 100 squats isn't that bad assuming it was in multiple sets with proper weight (although it doesn't seem too effective).
            It was supposedly their weight. That is stupid to do to kids that aren't that strong. Obviously a lot of kids were able to do it. But that is a pretty extreme workout. Especially for a 300 lb person.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
              It was supposedly their weight. That is stupid to do to kids that aren't that strong. Obviously a lot of kids were able to do it. But that is a pretty extreme workout. Especially for a 300 lb person.
              While we don't know who all of the players are, one was RS Freshman Jim Poggi who is a 6'2 212 LB. Someone of that size should be able to go through a workout like that, if that is indeed what it was.

Part of the problem might be that this is, in Poggi's case or if any of the other 11 are first years, his first offseason workout and he might not be used to the strain of it. It also could have something to do with their diet.

Iowa is well respected for their strength program and the strength coach Doyle is known to be one of the best. There is a chance he could have overworked players, but when it's 12 kids out of 100, it more than likely would be that those kids couldn't handle it right away rather than it being too intense.

Hopefully all these kids are alright and it doesn't affect their lives long term. I would freak the **** out if I pissed brown like Poggi did...

EDIT: Apparently there were some player facebook posts/tweets about the workouts before going to the hospital, and they were from 3rd or 4th year guys, so there goes that theory. One said that he had to squat his weight (240) 100 times and it was timed. I guess a bunch of players were complaining that the workout left them basically immobile for a while. Someone screwed up big time on the staff...

Also, it appears to be a combination of a week or two of workouts, not all at once. One of the players' father said his son complained to him last week. I'm guessing some of the staff were unhappy with this season's results and taking it out during the workouts...

http://hawkcentral.com/2011/01/25/12...-hospitalized/
              Last edited by iowatreat54; 01-26-2011, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• Doyle is no BARWISS!!!1!eleven!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HindSight View Post
                  Doyle is no BARWISS!!!1!eleven!!
                  You are so right...........

Seriously though, as much fun as Barwis was, I'm pretty glad he's gone simply so I don't have to listen to morons say "He must have been afraid of BARWISZZSS!!!1!!!!!!!111" everytime a recruit commits somewhere else or a 4 star kid transfers.

And really, I'm not sure how much he actually did. Outside of Denard and maybe Omameh, no one on the offense looked particularly fast, or at least no faster than any other recent Michigan teams. And the defense always looked like the slowest eleven guys on the field. And strength wise, this team was pretty pathetic. He did some good work with a few guys (Martin, Omameh come to mind) but overall, I never saw any kind of god-like transformation of Michigan football speed or strength wise.

Sorry, I'm not trying to turn this into yet another Michigan discussion. Someone on Iowa's S&C staff messed up big time on this one.

Originally posted by Jakey
                  WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

• Originally posted by ironman4579 View Post
                    And really, I'm not sure how much he actually did. Outside of Denard and maybe Omameh, no one on the offense looked particularly fast, or at least no faster than any other recent Michigan teams.
                    I think his work with the O-linemen is the most noticeable. Denard's always going to be fast, so he doesn't really count. If you look at guys like Lewan, Omameh (like you mentioned), Schofield, Molk etc..., they look lean and they do a great job of getting to the second level.

In terms of overall team speed, though, it wasn't anything particularly jaw-dropping.

Comment

• http://www.maizenbrew.com/2011/1/25/...les-recruiting

Bringing the lulz.

Comment

• Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                        While we don't know who all of the players are, one was RS Freshman Jim Poggi who is a 6'2 212 LB. Someone of that size should be able to go through a workout like that, if that is indeed what it was.

Part of the problem might be that this is, in Poggi's case or if any of the other 11 are first years, his first offseason workout and he might not be used to the strain of it. It also could have something to do with their diet.

Iowa is well respected for their strength program and the strength coach Doyle is known to be one of the best. There is a chance he could have overworked players, but when it's 12 kids out of 100, it more than likely would be that those kids couldn't handle it right away rather than it being too intense.

Hopefully all these kids are alright and it doesn't affect their lives long term. I would freak the **** out if I pissed brown like Poggi did...

EDIT: Apparently there were some player facebook posts/tweets about the workouts before going to the hospital, and they were from 3rd or 4th year guys, so there goes that theory. One said that he had to squat his weight (240) 100 times and it was timed. I guess a bunch of players were complaining that the workout left them basically immobile for a while. Someone screwed up big time on the staff...

Also, it appears to be a combination of a week or two of workouts, not all at once. One of the players' father said his son complained to him last week. I'm guessing some of the staff were unhappy with this season's results and taking it out during the workouts...

http://hawkcentral.com/2011/01/25/12...-hospitalized/
                        It's uber messed up. Destroying 12 or so players via exercise is idiocy. I just hope those guys kidneys are alright. If that was my kid, I'd be flipping out.

Comment

Seriously though, as much fun as Barwis was, I'm pretty glad he's gone simply so I don't have to listen to morons say "He must have been afraid of BARWISZZSS!!!1!!!!!!!111" everytime a recruit commits somewhere else or a 4 star kid transfers.
                          You guys (not you personally, but UM messageboard people generically) brought that Barwis stuff on yourselves. I've never heard about a S&C being pimped so much by a fanbase as Barwis was.

These coaches may make players a bit faster or stronger, but at the end of the day, they are all pretty much the same. Work hard, eat right, improve technique. That's it. Unless you try to kill your players. Then that's bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
                            It's uber messed up. Destroying 12 or so players via exercise is idiocy. I just hope those guys kidneys are alright. If that was my kid, I'd be flipping out.
                            Yea, we'll have to wait and see what happened and what the workouts were. Honestly, I would hope the NCAA looks into this even though I don't think the staff did anything illegal, I just want to see them take something serious...you know, serious, for once.

I wanna see how many other players were at these workouts, or why it was these 12 kids. Obviously not every kid is built the same, but like I said earlier, our S&C program is respected by a lot of people at different levels of football, so I can't believe our S&C Coach either purposely did this or just completely neglected it. Something/someone obviously messed up, but I have no idea where even to begin to look for what happened since this type of thing is apparently a freak occurrence.

Comment

And really, I'm not sure how much he actually did. Outside of Denard and maybe Omameh, no one on the offense looked particularly fast, or at least no faster than any other recent Michigan teams. And the defense always looked like the slowest eleven guys on the field. And strength wise, this team was pretty pathetic. He did some good work with a few guys (Martin, Omameh come to mind) but overall, I never saw any kind of god-like transformation of Michigan football speed or strength wise.

Sorry, I'm not trying to turn this into yet another Michigan discussion. Someone on Iowa's S&C staff messed up big time on this one.
                              I think he did a great job getting players into shape, but much like the case was with the entire staff, the things they did at West Virginia just weren't going to work at Michigan.

On a plus note, listening to Funk, Hecklinski, Ferrigno, and Borges (new coaches with no ties to Michigan) I can't help but get excited. I listened to Rod's staff when they came in, but they didn't have the same mind set as Hoke's guys. These guys get it.

Comment

• Sounds like Iowa might be looking for a new S&C coach...the staff and AD are apparently super pissed at him for this.

Also, wasn't Barwis the reason Boren bolted for OSU? Because he couldn't handle the workouts because he was a wuss or something like that...

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information