No announcement yet.

Tressel knew of memorabilia sales

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not saying he is worse(or better) than certain SEC coaches( including Chizik), but enough of this Tressel is a saint ********(which you conceded but most tOSU fans wont) and that he is on a different level which has been put on up to this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
      I'm not saying he is worse(or better) than certain SEC coaches( including Chizik), but enough of this Tressel is a saint ********(which you conceded but most tOSU fans wont) and that he is on a different level which has been put on up to this point.
      I agree. In Tressel's defense, I do think he has the right moral compass vs a lot of other coaches, at least wrt his players and their well being. He does do things that are better for the kids than are better for the program.

However, JT is FOS here when using the Feds as an excuse. I think he is FOS when acting naive about how some players magically have nice cars and whatnot. I guess it's a dirty part of the game that they all seem to play, but it's a sham. He's a politician. No matter how nice or pointed in the right direction that they seem, they always know how to game a system and come out ahead.

I truly think setting up a professionalized system of some sort gets rid of most of this ****. It's illegally professional now. Just formalize it and be done.

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
        1. "Don't do it - I'll have to report you." At the same time, you realize they are poor and could use the money.
        How, exactly, do you know that they're poor?

There is no good way to handle this if you are Jim Tressell.
        What the ****? There absolutely is a good way to handle it. Make sure your players don't do **** that's against the rules. That's part of the job description.

I love how most OSU fans are angrier at the NCAA for enforcing their rules and at Yahoo! for reporting the news. Can't really say I'm surprised, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
          Don't you know? All athletes on scholarship are poor.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

What the ****? There absolutely is a good way to handle it. Make sure your players don't do **** that's against the rules. That's part of the job description.

I love how most OSU fans are angrier at the NCAA for enforcing their rules and at Yahoo! for reporting the news. Can't really say I'm surprised, though.
            I remember the angst that UM fans had over being sanctioned for extra practice. Rules are rules.

Anyone angry over Y! is an idiot, the news was merely leaked a few days early. The violation had been filed February 3rd.

The thing is, the more that I think about it, the more disappointed I get in the OSU AD department as a whole. Excuse making and a whole bunch of BS being shoveled.

I think a lot of OSU fans are feeling a version of the following. For the psychos that think JT can do no wrong, they are going to be slow coming to their senses, but at least they got jolted. The rest have some common sense and are just becoming more jaded at the whole sordid affair.

This guy on the ozone sums it up for me:

The making of excuses. From the time this Tat5 thing hit the news, the thing that has bothered me the most with regard to the whole thing has been the excuses put forth by people like Gene Smith and Jim Tressel.

-"the times were tough, players needed money". Total BS excuse that has been sanctioned by Ohio State. Pryor is driving around a 2008 Dodge Charger and has a flatscreen, a PS3, and an XBox in his apartment.

-"the kids didn't know the rules". Total 100% BS. Having worked in an athletic dept, there is NO WAY. Another BS excuse sanctioned by OSU.

-"I was worried about their safety". Total BS IMO. Sorry, but I'm not buying this and I'm filing under the growing list of BS excuses put forth by members of the OSU AD.

This is a disturbing thing IMO and I fear that it reflects a real problem within the culture of the A.D. I would much prefer they would tell it like it is:

The players knew exactly what they were doing, and they did it anyway. They let greed and selfishness cloud their judgment, like so many kids. The head coach was made aware of this months ago and he did not tell anyone so that the players would not face an investigation with regard to compliance which could eventually result in suspension. They will all be punished because that is not acceptable behavior at Ohio State.

Enough with the BS excuses.

Comment

I know someone from OSU (that's a huge homer) that has told me Pryor isn't that well off and probably needed the money.

edit: After watching Mike and Mike, I agree - that this is very similar to Dez Bryant last year. If he knowingly lied to the NCAA, then a very stiff penalty has to be enforced.
              Last edited by descendency; 03-09-2011, 09:19 AM.
              **** her in da *****!

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post

A school leading the nation in self reported infractions is the sign of a clean program, not a dirty one btw. OSU is a hugantic school with lots of sports and as many student athletes as any other in the country.
                So if i continually break the law then turn myself into the police makes me a good person?
                Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
                  I know someone from OSU (that's a huge homer) that has told me Pryor isn't that well off and probably needed the money.
                  Yup, he only lives in the most expensive apartment/condo complex around campus.

Follow Me on Twitter!
                  https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Originally posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
                    Yup, he only lives in the most expensive apartment/condo complex around campus.
                    While we're on the Tat 5, isn't Mike Adams from a pretty affluent area? I think I recall hearing that Dublin is a pretty well-off area.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
                      I remember the angst that UM fans had over being sanctioned for extra practice. Rules are rules.
                      What I didn't like about the Rosenberg article in the Free Press was the half-truths and the fact that he admitted to not telling Je'Ron Stokes and Brandin Hawthorne what his piece was about and instead leading them to believe that it was for something else. Rodriguez and his staff broke the rules, trivial as they may have been in that case, and they deserved to be punished.

I think a lot of OSU fans are feeling a version of the following. For the psychos that think JT can do no wrong, they are going to be slow coming to their senses, but at least they got jolted. The rest have some common sense and are just becoming more jaded at the whole sordid affair.
                      Schlabach (who never misses a chance to take a shot at anything Big 10-related) actually summed up the Buckeye point of view pretty well. As long as Tressel keeps beating Michigan, he's a made man.

This guy on the ozone sums it up for me:
                      Well put. I'm tired about hearing how these kids from the "hood" can't afford anything and are put to work for little to no pay. Like I've said before, I managed to survive in college without a scholarship through loans and all that fun ****. I certainly am not the only one. These guys can survive just fine with their room, board, tuition, books, meals, gym, etc... paid for.

Comment

Schlabach (who never misses a chance to take a shot at anything Big 10-related) actually summed up the Buckeye point of view pretty well. As long as Tressel keeps beating Michigan, he's a made man.
                        Yep. If he wasn't kicking UM's ass every year and in general winning at a rate that very few in the history of major college football have ever achieved, he would have been fired.

The conspiracy side of me says that he is taking one for the AD here possibly. He might have actually forwarded this on and the school sat on it. Either way, someone there sat on the info and it's rotten.

It's a major violation and it stinks.

Well put. I'm tired about hearing how these kids from the "hood" can't afford anything and are put to work for little to no pay. Like I've said before, I managed to survive in college without a scholarship through loans and all that fun ****. I certainly am not the only one. These guys can survive just fine with their room, board, tuition, books, meals, gym, etc... paid for.
                        Yep. It's not about not being able to afford life. It's that these kids are getting paid. I have no illusions about amateurism at any big time athletic program. The degrees may vary, but they are professionals.

Professionalize the game.

Comment

o hai thar hard evidence

http://www.610wtvn.com/pages/templat..._march2011.pdf

resignation/hilarious spin attempt in 3...2...1...
                          I'm a state.

Comment

Well, you knew this was coming.

http://mgoblog.com/content/somewhat-...funny-business

That's a nice car/job/wad of money. Maurice Clarett sits out the season after claiming his expensive dealership car was robbed of over 10k in stuff. Questioned by the NCAA, Clarett refuses to give straight answers to questions 17 times because "half the team would've been suspended, and it would've been worse for everybody."

Clarett also claims his grades were total fiction, he got phantom jobs, that coaches would tell him to talk to certain people who just happened to drop thousands of dollars they didn't care about, that he got free cars and free rent. Ohio State fans discount Clarett as mentally unstable, which he is.

That's a nice tutor. Clarett's grad student tutor confirms the total fiction grades bit of Clarett's story to the New York Times. The internal response was lovely: "Goings attacked the teaching assistant's credibility, saying he found it difficult to believe her because she had a history of psychiatric problems and displayed what he called erratic behavior." Goings calls the tutor a liar and fires her after she meets with him about another player.

That's a nice job. Booster Robert Q Baker gives Troy Smith $500 for a fake job, getting Smith suspended a couple games and himself dissociated from the program. A couple years earlier Chris Gamble also worked for Baker's company.

More, but I don't want to copy and paste the whole thing because, well, that's not very nice.

Comment

My personal favorite coming up. The NCAA really had their heads in the sand on this one.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...s.html?sid=101

Three times in the past three years, Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor was stopped for traffic violations while driving cars that were owned by a car salesman or a Columbus used-car lot where the salesman worked, according to traffic citations obtained by The Dispatch.

In that incident, Pryor was ticketed for speeding in eastern Ohio's Guernsey County, driving a 2004 GMC Denali that belonged to car salesman Aaron Kniffin when he said he worked for the Jack Maxton dealership.

This past March, Pryor was stopped for speeding in Licking County with a 2009 Dodge that is registered to Auto Direct of Columbus, a used-car dealership on E. Dublin-Granville Road where Kniffin worked. A week later, Pryor was pulled over in Columbus for a different infraction, driving the same Dodge.

Ohio State knew about Pryor's use of the car while he had the engine in his own car replaced this past spring and was assured that every customer receives a loaner when extended repairs like that are necessary, Archie said.

Kniffin said that while working at Maxton he allowed Pryor to drive his SUV to his hometown in Pennsylvania so that his mother could check it out. Pryor did not buy the vehicle. Kniffin also said he arranged for Pryor to use the 2009 Dodge while Pryor's car was being repaired.
                              I used Mapquest to determine how far OSU is from Pryor's hometown of Jeanette, Pa. 210 miles- just south of four hours' worth of driving. Let me know when anyone else finds a dealer that lets them drive a car eight hours roundtrip so their mom can check it out. For the record, the 2004 Denali sold for anywhere between $36,000 and $50,000.

Comment

Yep. Lot's of shady stuff with those guys.

The sad thing is that this happens everywhere. Even UM. There is little integrity in the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information