Tressel knew of memorabilia sales

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
    they lead the country in self-reported violations is what. we have more student athletes than any school except like UCLA or something too which kinda doesn't help that number.
    How do you have more student athletes on your football team? The scholarship limit is 85 and the overall limit is 110 with walk-ons anywhere you go. It doesn't depend on student body size.

Try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
      How do you have more student athletes on your football team? The scholarship limit is 85 and the overall limit is 110 with walk-ons anywhere you go. It doesn't depend on student body size.

Try again.
      I think his point is that Ohio State is a big deal in a ton of sports and as a result it at least increases the potential for more violations. Texas and Stanford would be in a similar situation.
      Originally posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
      An article from yahoo

"3. Tressel has a history of high profile players receiving improper benefits on his watch. Before Terrelle Pryor and his classmates, there was Troy Smith; before Troy Smith, there was Maurice Clarett; before Maurice Clarett, there was Tressel's star quarterback at Youngstown State, Ray Isaac. Tressel was able to successful distance himself from each of those cases, but they demonstrate a pattern that undermines any appeal to an honest, one-time lapse of judgment."
      Any mention of Maurice Clarett should enhance Tressel's reputation if it does anything. Despite all of the incredibly dumb **** Clarett has done, Tressel reached out to him, even when he was in jail to get him back in school to finish out his degree.

How many coaches would go that far for a kid? If this is the SEC, they will burn you in a heartbeat if you don't produce.

Comment

Try again.
        i was referring to the the entire atheltics program as a whole, not just the football team....and these "violations" that OSU is self-reporting are things like coaches giving kids rides across campus and things like that that most people don't even realize are violations. If you email a recruit who is a junior in high school, technically that is a violation.

Comment

i was referring to the the entire atheltics program as a whole, not just the football team
          Every sport has scholarship limits and walk-on limits. Your argument is invalid.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/117626723.html

Comment

Every sport has scholarship limits and walk-on limits. Your argument is invalid.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/117626723.html
            You're much smarter than this.

How many sports does Ohio State offer compared to the average division university?

Comment

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
              You're much smarter than this.

How many sports does Ohio State offer compared to the average division university?
              Isn't the 375 number associated with football?

Comment

Isn't the 375 number associated with football?
                For keylime's argument's sake, I hope not.

It appeared to be the Athletic Department as a whole

Comment

Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                  from the Cincy Community Press article:

"In May of 2009, The Columbus Dispatch reported that since 2000, Ohio State had reported to the NCAA more than 375 violations the most of any of the 69 Football Bowl Subdivision schools that provided documents to the newspaper through public-records requests. Most of the infractions were minor and resulted in little or no punishment."
                  I didn't see this blurb in the article, though. However, that's where I got the 375 for football number.

Comment

I didn't see this blurb in the article, though. However, that's where I got the 375 for football number.
                    and like I said before, that looks like and could very well be a scary number... I just wish there were some comparisons for context.

Comment

**** college football. That is all.

Comment

If OSU is reporting all those violations, that means they're breaking the rules and they know it, so even if other schools have anywhere near that many minor infractions (which is doubtful), isn't it worse that they know the rules and are still breaking them?

That is correct comahan
                        I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                        <3 dg

Comment

This is by definition a failure of institutional controls. Add lying to NCAA investigators and recruits receiving improper benefits ($ for equipment is improper) to the list. So please explain to me why the punishment for this 'incident' should be nothing more to Tressel than being suspended for games against "Little Sisters of the Poor"?

If the NCAA doesn't act with the type of heavy-handed approach they have in the recent past with the same type of deal (USC, Dez Bryant, etc) then how can anyone claim that they follow any precedent? It should be less than USC (they self-reported and cooperated) however they lied to investigators and demonstrated that they lack the institutional controls required by the NCAA to regulate student athletes.

Not sure, aside from being stuck in the mindset of an OSU fan, how this can be twisted in any other fashion.
                          Originally posted by D-Unit
                          I have no clue what Bortles is all about. Has a funny name though. Sounds like a Pokemon.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock

Comment

Ohio State has more sports than a lot of schools. That's why they have more student athletes. My original point that seems to have gotten lost in all this jumble wasn't just talking about having more violations reported as a whole (I know they self-report more for football than any other program, that goes without saying) but the fact is Ohio State as a school has a larger student body than other schools, it's harder to keep track of your kids in that environment than it is in say a place like Columbia, SC anyways.

A lot of teams don't bother self-reporting things like that, its' not that big of a deal. Some coaches like to keep track of every little thing. Let's blow the self-reported minor violations thing out of proportion why dont we?

here's some examples of what kind of "violations" these are we're talking about:
                            http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...10ncaabox.html

If you send a newsletter to a recruit with color ink on it you are a violator!
                            Last edited by keylime_5; 03-09-2011, 02:59 PM.

Comment

A lot of teams don't bother self-reporting things like that, its' not that big of a deal. Some coaches like to keep track of every little thing. Let's blow the self-reported minor violations thing out of proportion why dont we?
                              375 secondary violations add up to something. As Dez Bryant learned, lying to NCAA investigators isn't a little thing either.

Comment

Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
                                If OSU is reporting all those violations, that means they're breaking the rules and they know it, so even if other schools have anywhere near that many minor infractions (which is doubtful), isn't it worse that they know the rules and are still breaking them?
                                It isn't as easy to say they knew the rules and were breaking them with minor infractions. I'm an athletic trainer and when I did my graduate work I was involved in something technically termed an infraction. I bought a meal for an athlete when they were in the hospital. Teammates were joking about this in the training room and the coach overheard. The coach told me that is was a violation because of the position I held with the team. How they explained it was even though I didn't "wine and dine" them it's still included no matter how trivial it seems. That being some infraction really never crossed my mind.

I'm not saying these violations are anything like this; however, I just wanna point out that its not that cut and dry.
                                Last edited by sunnyintheD; 03-09-2011, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information