No announcement yet.

National Championship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am not knocking Florida one bit. However, I think it is absurd to say that Florida has an infinitely faster defense than Michigan. Florida may have a small edge on the defensive line, but they also lack the overwhelming physicality that the Wolverines brought to the table which gave Ohio State fits. The linebackers are so close in terms of speed it is not even funny.

Frankly, the loss of Marcus Thomas does hurt. He was the best one-gapper for the Gators, and they could struggle to put pressure on Smith. Ohio State has the second best wide receiver depth in the country (behind USC) and they could efficiently move the ball down the field working underneath, taking the safeties out of it unless they cheat up, which will cause a problem over the top. Still, Ginn Jr. going deep shouldn't be the main concern, it should be Gonzalez, Robiskie, or Hartline testing a linebacker or a dime back.

It has been said before, but Chris Leak is going up against a defense that forces turnovers and capitilizes on them. On the flip side, Florida has to deal with a composed quarterback in Smith that shines the brightest on the biggest stages.

The Gators are even outmatched in the coaching sector. Urban Meyer is a good coach, but Tressel is an elite one. He will make sure the Buckeyes roll into and through Glendale.

Like I said, I forsee a 10-14 point game. I doubt Florida ever falls more than two scores behind, but I doubt that they are ever really in the game too.

Comment

• To everyone who is in favor of a playoff......Tressel won I think 7 national titles in the playoff format in DI-AA. This is because he builds his teams to get better and better with each game. (The Buckeyes were not very good in 2004 until the end of the year in which they could've played with anybody). If we get a playoff then OSU will win more titles than it has.

Jim Tressel has said that he once had a team that peaked too early and that "that'll never happen again." I don't want a playoff system, but if there was one Ohio State might win or go to the title game almost every year. Be careful what you wish for

Comment

• Originally posted by keylime_5
        To everyone who is in favor of a playoff......Tressel won I think 7 national titles in the playoff format in DI-AA. This is because he builds his teams to get better and better with each game. (The Buckeyes were not very good in 2004 until the end of the year in which they could've played with anybody). If we get a playoff then OSU will win more titles than it has.

Jim Tressel has said that he once had a team that peaked too early and that "that'll never happen again." I don't want a playoff system, but if there was one Ohio State might win or go to the title game almost every year. Be careful what you wish for
        IDC if that were to happen. If thats the case, good for Tressell and Ohio St. At least they won it on the field and not by a corrupted system.

Comment

To everyone who is in favor of a playoff......Tressel won I think 7 national titles in the playoff format in DI-AA. This is because he builds his teams to get better and better with each game. (The Buckeyes were not very good in 2004 until the end of the year in which they could've played with anybody). If we get a playoff then OSU will win more titles than it has.

Homerism taken to an artform. I question whether Ohio State could have gone punch-for-punch with USC in 2004. Heck, there were a few teams that I do not think the Buckeyes could have beaten even though they improved late.

Can you admit that the Buckeyes might not win? It is not Ohio State's god-given right to be great. And while Jim Tressel is the best coach in college football, he isn't the second coming of Jesus. Every program has their down years and to suggest that Ohio State is immune to such fluctuations is ludicrous. I am not saying they wouldn't be in contention most years. But I am saying that they would not dominate a playoff.

Comment

Tressel can win as many NC as he wants, as long as I know that my team's fate was decided on the field, and not by the minds of voter. Also, just because Tressel won 7 titles in DI-AA doesn't mean he's going to the Championship game every year.

Comment

• People are sleeping on Florida. Belive me, I don't trust Chris Leak in a big game, but that defense is going to severely limit Ohio State's high powered offense. Jarvis Moss is an absolute beast, Brandon Siler is the best linebacker in the country, Earl Everett is a hell of a player, Reggie Nelson has been the best defensive back in the nation this year, Ryan Smith is a hell of a corner. If this isn't a close game, that neither team breaks 30 in, i'll be very surprised.

"A real man makes his own luck." Billy Zane, Titanic

Originally posted by Emmitt Smith
              Donít quit, donít even quit.

Comment

• Florida fans talk to me when u lose to Ohio St. by 3 in Columbus. Oh, wait a minute. They won't.

1. They won't in Columbus.
                2. They'll lose by at least 14....and thats being nice.

Comment

• It's going to be track meet, like a previous post suggested, Harvin has to get his touches for Florida to keep up.

OSU 35
                  UF 33
                  Rock Jock

Sidesider for life, Go White Sox

Comment

• Originally posted by RockJock07
                    It's going to be track meet, like a previous post suggested, Harvin has to get his touches for Florida to keep up.

OSU 35
                    UF 33
                    UF scores 33 I would leave this board.

UF has scored 30+ 4 times this season. Against Southern Miss, UCF(trash), Divsion 2 team, and Arkansas. Now all of sudden they are going to put up 30 vs a team l#2 in the nation in scoring defense?

Comment

• Originally posted by snuff
                      Originally posted by RockJock07
                      It's going to be track meet, like a previous post suggested, Harvin has to get his touches for Florida to keep up.

OSU 35
                      UF 33
                      UF scores 33 I would leave this board.

UF has scored 30+ 4 times this season. Against Southern Miss, UCF(trash), Divsion 2 team, and Arkansas. Now all of sudden they are going to put up 30 vs a team leading the nation in scoring defense?
                      Well, not that its gonna happen, but please don't leave, we're running out of people with actual brains on this site....

Comment

• they also lack the overwhelming physicality that the Wolverines brought to the table which gave Ohio State fits
                        Not sure what you're talking about, but I didnt see the Wolverines defense give Ohio State any fits on 11/18.

Ohio State might not score the most per game, but we absolutely have the best offense. There is not an offense in college football thats even close to the balance and talent for rushing & passing that we have.

After witnessing us single handedly pick apart what I thought was the best defense in a good 3-4 years, I don't think Florida will do much better. Their only hope is turnovers & Percy Harvin.

Do you really think Ohio State could hang with USC in 2004?
                        Hrmm... Cal seemed to be pretty much even with them throughout the entire game. USC barely won vs. Cal in 2004.

Jarvis Moss is the best linebacker in the country
                        I think James Laurinaitis just won the best defensive player in college football award. Although I will admit Florida has a better linebacking unit.

Finally, SEC is tough, but overrated. Wisconsin destroyed Auburn last year and Wiscy wasn't even that good. I'm going to say we'll rush for 175+ and pass for around 250. I think we're going to go with more of a run healthy offense. Our offensive line is the best in the nation, no doubt about it.
                        Browns & Buckeyes <3

Comment

• Originally posted by gstock05

Jarvis Moss is the best linebacker in the country
                          I think James Laurinaitis just won the best defensive player in college football award. Although I will admit Florida has a better linebacking unit.

Finally, SEC is tough, but overrated. Wisconsin destroyed Auburn last year and Wiscy wasn't even that good. I'm going to say we'll rush for 175+ and pass for around 250. I think we're going to go with more of a run healthy offense. Our offensive line is the best in the nation, no doubt about it.
                          I thought that moss was a DE :?

And although OSUs OL is very good i still like Texas' as the best

Comment

• BTW gstock, he won the nagurski, the best defensive player award is the bednarik, which will go to Woodley :D

Comment

• Originally posted by danman253
                              BTW gstock, he won the nagurski, the best defensive player award is the bednarik, which will go to Woodley :D
                              They are both the best defensive player award, however, the Bednarik is more prestigious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patriots-Lions
                                Originally posted by danman253
                                BTW gstock, he won the nagurski, the best defensive player award is the bednarik, which will go to Woodley :D
                                They are both the best defensive player award, however, the Bednarik is more prestigious.
                                Yeah i'll go with that :D

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information