No announcement yet.

2015 Canes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OL picking it up in the 2nd half definitely helped, everyone got destroyed in the first half, I think that was the worst I've seen Jason Fox play. Everette Brown is a monster though.

The team as a whole played their worst game but we did a good job fighting back (with the help of FSU). Brandon Harris got destroyed, I thought Chavez looked ok today, Bruce is like Will Allen, good on most snaps then just has completely awful plays.

Defense looked so slow today, Spence was a monster but Sharpton and Cook couldn't stay with anyone, Reddick let a few plays get away from him and Ponder looked lost. Pass rush was still an issue for the most part, Bailey looked pretty good but Ojomo and Wesley need to get better. I thought the DTs played well, Hendricks and Joseph aren't that bad, certainly weren't our biggest problem on offense, I think the DE play was much worse today.

Travis Benjamin is a monster, no WR should see the field besides him AJ and Collier, maybe Hankerson and Byrd on screen passes to block. AJ needs to to get the ball more (has to do with the middle of the field passes somewhat), it seems all he gets are comebacks. He finally broke the tackle and got a big gain today but the only time he gets it deep he is double teamed.

Took a step back today as a whole but the young guys showed some big flashes. We need to flat out dominate the next 2 weeks before we get the 5 ACC games, I have a feeling James being back is going to completely change the offense, hopefully he is 100%.

That is correct comahan
    I ******* LOVE YOU DG
    <3 dg

Comment

• Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
      OL picking it up in the 2nd half definitely helped, everyone got destroyed in the first half, I think that was the worst I've seen Jason Fox play. Everette Brown is a monster though.

The team as a whole played their worst game but we did a good job fighting back (with the help of FSU). Brandon Harris got destroyed, I thought Chavez looked ok today, Bruce is like Will Allen, good on most snaps then just has completely awful plays.

Defense looked so slow today, Spence was a monster but Sharpton and Cook couldn't stay with anyone, Reddick let a few plays get away from him and Ponder looked lost. Pass rush was still an issue for the most part, Bailey looked pretty good but Ojomo and Wesley need to get better. I thought the DTs played well, Hendricks and Joseph aren't that bad, certainly weren't our biggest problem on offense, I think the DE play was much worse today.

Travis Benjamin is a monster, no WR should see the field besides him AJ and Collier, maybe Hankerson and Byrd on screen passes to block. AJ needs to to get the ball more (has to do with the middle of the field passes somewhat), it seems all he gets are comebacks. He finally broke the tackle and got a big gain today but the only time he gets it deep he is double teamed.

Took a step back today as a whole but the young guys showed some big flashes. We need to flat out dominate the next 2 weeks before we get the 5 ACC games, I have a feeling James being back is going to completely change the offense, hopefully he is 100%.
      Have to disagree with us playing our worse game today. UNC was much worse. We didn't excel in any phase of the UNC game and gave up. Today we were much more inventive, played with more passion, and even flat took over during parts of the 2nd half. There's much more to build off of today then there was against UNC.

We played pretty bad on D in the 1st half. I can't imagine our D looking much worse then that.

But the way we played in the 2nd half was flat out amazing (minus that 20 yard TD run we gave up). We won the 2nd half 36-17. We flat whooped them in the 2nd half. We created turnovers, we got inventive on offense and we made big plays in all aspects whether it was ST, D or O. If you would have watched the game starting from halftime on, I don't think there's any doubt that was the best we played this year against one of the top 10 defenses in college football.

The problem was definitely the defense coming out lifeless in the 1st half.

Go back and read your post tho. I think it speaks for itself.

The only freshman you said with a bad game was Brandon Harris.

The rest of the list includes upperclassmen guys like Cook, Sharpton, all the WRs (that aren't named AJ, Pimp or Benjamin), Reddick, Bruce Johnson.

There's just no way to win games when you've got absolutely ZERO talent in your JR and SR classes. Literally, we don't have a single difference making SR (in fact the only ones that can even be considered Solid players are Cook, Reddick, Moncur and at times Johnson) and we don't have a difference making JR either with the only Solid JRs being Fox, McCarthy, JJ and at times Sharpton and Grant.

The backbone of this team is made up of Freshman and Sophomores. Coop, Benjamin, AJ, Marve, Franklin, Ojomo, Bailey, Forston (who played his ass off today), Spence, Harris are all some form of Freshman or Sophomore. Those kids are studs but they can't do it on their own yet. In a year or two they will but not. Not without help and plays from the SRs and JRs and we just aren't getting it.

BTW...Can we get a count on the number of drops between Shields and Jones today? I felt like the number was u around 7. They need to be benched already.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
        Have to disagree with us playing our worse game today. UNC was much worse. We didn't excel in any phase of the UNC game and gave up. Today we were much more inventive, played with more passion, and even flat took over during parts of the 2nd half. There's much more to build off of today then there was against UNC.

We played pretty bad on D in the 1st half. I can't imagine our D looking much worse then that.

But the way we played in the 2nd half was flat out amazing (minus that 20 yard TD run we gave up). We won the 2nd half 36-17. We flat whooped them in the 2nd half. We created turnovers, we got inventive on offense and we made big plays in all aspects whether it was ST, D or O. If you would have watched the game starting from halftime on, I don't think there's any doubt that was the best we played this year against one of the top 10 defenses in college football.

The problem was definitely the defense coming out lifeless in the 1st half.

Go back and read your post tho. I think it speaks for itself.

The only freshman you said with a bad game was Brandon Harris.

The rest of the list includes upperclassmen guys like Cook, Sharpton, all the WRs (that aren't named AJ, Pimp or Benjamin), Reddick, Bruce Johnson.

There's just no way to win games when you've got absolutely ZERO talent in your JR and SR classes. Literally, we don't have a single difference making SR (in fact the only ones that can even be considered Solid players are Cook, Reddick, Moncur and at times Johnson) and we don't have a difference making JR either with the only Solid JRs being Fox, McCarthy, JJ and at times Sharpton and Grant.

The backbone of this team is made up of Freshman and Sophomores. Coop, Benjamin, AJ, Marve, Franklin, Ojomo, Bailey, Forston (who played his ass off today), Spence, Harris are all some form of Freshman or Sophomore. Those kids are studs but they can't do it on their own yet. In a year or two they will but not. Not without help and plays from the SRs and JRs and we just aren't getting it.

BTW...Can we get a count on the number of drops between Shields and Jones today? I felt like the number was u around 7. They need to be benched already.
        Jones has made a career out of dropping passes, and he still gets PT, so what makes you think that will change any time soon?

God I hate that guy.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Comment

• I still think the result of the 2nd half was FSU giving the game away more so than us playing that much better. Without a doubt we played better but the offense still stuggled. It was those seniors and juniors but right now those guys are still the team and they were playing much better before today. Against NC the offense played well at times and other than a few big plays the defense had a good game. The big/trick plays were nice today but other than the last drive the offense showed no consistency. The defense couldn't get off the field and Ponder ran all over us. For this season there wasn't a whole lot that I felt good about in this game.

That is correct comahan
          I ******* LOVE YOU DG
          <3 dg

Comment

• Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
            I still think the result of the 2nd half was FSU giving the game away more so than us playing that much better. Without a doubt we played better but the offense still stuggled. It was those seniors and juniors but right now those guys are still the team and they were playing much better before today. Against NC the offense played well at times and other than a few big plays the defense had a good game. The big/trick plays were nice today but other than the last drive the offense showed no consistency. The defense couldn't get off the field and Ponder ran all over us. For this season there wasn't a whole lot that I felt good about in this game.
            I'm not too worried about this season. I was hoping for 8 wins this season and we still have a shot at that thought 7 is looking more likely. We should pound on UCF next week and Duke should be a good game though I can't really see us losing it.

What I saw from this game was a future. I saw Sean Spence make 10 tackles and return an INT for a TD. I saw Benjamin score 2 huge TDs and make huge returns all nite. I saw Marcus Forston busting his ass to stuff the middle and even stunting outside to get to the RB. I saw Aldarius get 5 solid catches, break a huge tackle to big yards and come a show string away from breaking another one. Heck even JoJo Nicolas who has been sub par all year have a pretty solid game. Bailey had an OK day as well.

Even Marve who had without a doubt his worst game of the season showed growth and impressed me with his ability to shake off mistakes, keep his composure and help rally his team back. He was hurt by alot of huge drops and alot of batted balls because our OL couldn't keep the FSU DL out of the backfield. He was able to weather all that and still make a few impressive plays and bring us within striking distance.

This year's team isn't a good team. Far from it. But I see alot of good things for our future and that's what has me so optimistic. Remember, this year is the 1st real year where Randy has his own recruiting class. His 2007 class was an on the run patchwork class that he put together, half that class was made up of Coker kids that randy really could let go of because he needed to fill voids somewhere and there was no time for him to go from scratch with new recruits. He got a few good players (Marve, Coop, Franklin, Bailey) but there are a fair amount of what appear to be duds from that class as well (Hankerson, McKenzie, Campbell, Horn, Gunn, heck even Perry and Wiggins are no longer with the team). Give Randy time. What I am seeing out there is coaches having to over think things in order to make up for a lack of talent and huge mistakes by the upperclassmen. Let Randy get more recruiting classes under his belt and coach them up the right way. I am very encouraged for the future of our team. By the time that huge 2010 class rolls around, we will be in much better shape then we are today.
            Last edited by Joeyjr09; 10-05-2008, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• I definitely love the future of this team, I guess I was just expecting more out of the team now after what we showed before yesterday.

That is correct comahan
              I ******* LOVE YOU DG
              <3 dg

Comment

• What has happened to Sam Shields? Did he even play on Saturday? I remember him as a freshman and he was a monster, he seems to have been lost with all the new talent at WR. Did he just not get better?

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
                  What has happened to Sam Shields? Did he even play on Saturday? I remember him as a freshman and he was a monster, he seems to have been lost with all the new talent at WR. Did he just not get better?
                  I saw him drop a couple passes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geomar View Post

Also I cant wait till Bryce Brown gets here.

(JJ, Coop, Bryce)

Amazing three headed monster run game.

And Coop is tearing it up this year. =)
                    Don't sleep on Mike James. He looks like the next Kevin Smith but bigger and faster...we're gonna have 2 great power backs that can also break some big runs, plus 5 more returning assuming none declare or transfer. We will no longer have to rely on Derron freaking Thomas to spell the starter....you can rest assured.

Originally posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
                    We played a heck of a game. Here are some quick points:

-Nix was vastly improved from what I have seen of him in the year and a half he's been here. He wasnt afraid to take chances. He threw the ball downfield alot, and he was very inventive with the screen to LT Jason Fox and a TD pass by RB Greg Cooper. He still needs to learn to use the middle of the field more.

- Plain and simple reason why we lost this game. Our defense simply in no way shape or form has been able to stop a team on 3rd down. If we get off the field on 3rd down, this game is won.
                    I missed the middle part of the game after we were down 14-0 until we put up 20 to make it close again so take that into consideration with whatever I say. I couldn't deal with the embarrassment of a Christian Ponder led FSU team handling us at home.

I like the fact that Nix recognized the run game wasn't going to work and went to the pass....but I think he went too far. FSU stuck with the ground game and Smith even though they averaged like 3 yards per carry....running the ball eats up clock and keeps your defense off the field. It also helps the mentality of your offensive line and keeps the defense honest, even if it's unsuccessful. My point is that we should've pounded the rock more even if it meant getting 2 yards in chunks.

I don't like how Nix sets up all these pass plays where the primary target is on the sideline because Marve has not been throwing well to the sideline. He makes his best throws and decisions right down the middle of the defense...and that's right where they had a freshman LB and inconsistent safety play....ATTACK THEM! I just realized you said this at the end of your 1st paragraph too, lol.

I don't like how we still throw most of our passes to Jones, Farquharson, Hankerson, Shields, etc. AJ and Benjamin are clearly our 2 best receivers and should be getting several touches a game. AJ can tough it out and Benjamin can make people miss. Our upperclassman receivers catch the ball and stop, or just drop the ball to begin with.

Seeing Ponder run for like 150 yards on us got me thinking....why doesn't Marve scramble more? Nix needs to loosen up the leash there as well.

We still don't throw to the tight ends and running backs enough. I mean you need to mix it up SOMETIMES.

On defense....well....as bad as we played, Young could've given us a chance to win if he didn't blitz 3 guys from the outside on a 3rd and 20 where all we need to do is keep FSU from the end zone. It's FSU so there's no way they make the FG, and Marve proved against UNC that he can take us on a game-winning 2 minute drill. That situation just screamed Cover 4 but Young tried to be a superhero with his playcalling.

As great as Sean Spence played, I was (somewhat) reminded why we don't play our freshmen as much when he got himself sucked into the wash instead of flowing from the backside on that option play where Ponder went for like 500 yards. Those "ball instincts" can backfire sometimes.

^ Even still, our defensive line was nowhere to be seen any time they had a drive going.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by etk View Post
                      I like the fact that Nix recognized the run game wasn't going to work and went to the pass....but I think he went too far. FSU stuck with the ground game and Smith even though they averaged like 3 yards per carry....running the ball eats up clock and keeps your defense off the field. It also helps the mentality of your offensive line and keeps the defense honest, even if it's unsuccessful. My point is that we should've pounded the rock more even if it meant getting 2 yards in chunks.

No way he could have pounded the rock more. We were down big very early in this game. He had no choice but to come out gunning for the majority of the game because we were playing from behind. It's not Nix's fault for the lobsidded offense, it's our defenses fault for putting us in a huge hole. Considering the situation he was placed in, I thought Nix was very effective today.

Seeing Ponder run for like 150 yards on us got me thinking....why doesn't Marve scramble more? Nix needs to loosen up the leash there as well.

Have you been watching us at all? Part of the problem for most of the year is that there are way too many designed QB runs. Everyone on here last week was moaning right and left about those stupid QB draws. We don't need Marve to scramble more. He's runs enough. All we need him to move is just to keep plays alive and get positive gains. I've been really impressed with that btw. Marve has a knack for turning broken plays and bad situations in positive yards or at the very least a no gain.

On defense....well....as bad as we played, Young could've given us a chance to win if he didn't blitz 3 guys from the outside on a 3rd and 20 where all we need to do is keep FSU from the end zone. It's FSU so there's no way they make the FG, and Marve proved against UNC that he can take us on a game-winning 2 minute drill. That situation just screamed Cover 4 but Young tried to be a superhero with his playcalling.

I can't fault Young play calling there. They had a 3rd a 20. Jimbo Fisher made a great playcall in that situation and still Reddick had a clean shot at Smith on the 10 as well as 2 other guys having shots at Smith inside the 5. If just one of those guys does his job and makes a tackle, we aren't even discussing that. Everyone thought it was going to be a pass. Nobody in that stadium guess a run. Young was aggressive and sent guys to get in Ponders face and try to get us that ball back. I will never be upset with aggressive play calling. Fact is, that even with a great draw that Jimbo Fisher called, we still should have tackled him short and we had chances to do it.

As great as Sean Spence played, I was (somewhat) reminded why we don't play our freshmen as much when he got himself sucked into the wash instead of flowing from the backside on that option play where Ponder went for like 500 yards. Those "ball instincts" can backfire sometimes.

This is what I've been saying all year. Our JRs and SRs suck. Our FR just aren't good enough yet to make up for it. Spence made a rookie mistake. That's gonna happen, that's why you need your JRs and SRs to step u so that those rookie mistakes aren't as glaring. We simply don't have any JRs or SRs that step up.
                      Give us time. We simply do not have the talent base in the right areas of the team yet. We have plenty of talent in the pipeline but we need allow it to mature and learn to win and that will not happen with the roster as currently constructed. We simply don't have the upperclassmen to be a consistent winning program yet.
                      Last edited by Joeyjr09; 10-05-2008, 10:44 PM.

Comment

• There's a simple answer for your first 2 comments....I only saw part of the game. I didn't see Marve run the ball at all and I saw plenty of opportunity to run as a team. The 1st instance being on our 1st drive: 1st and 10 Nix made a nice call to throw but there was some miscue I forget ATM. Second down we throw again and it's incomplete (SHOULD'VE RUN Coop to set up 3rd and medium), 3rd and 10 Marve throws a pick.

I was expecting a run (specifically a draw - I watch the Bucs and Gruden always goes draw on 3rd and long) and I don't fault our DBs for missing. Smith had 10 yards of steam right up the gut and all our DBs were outside the hashes coming downhill and Smith broke the armtackles. It was a nice call to set up an easier FG, but the bad defensive call resulted in the TD. It was like the parting of the seas in the middle because of the blitz.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Sorry to be the bearer of bad news guys, but just read about some very tragic injury news. Damn this sucks!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3627084

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Comment

• yup....McCarthy is out, Moncur's out, Youngblood's out

hopefully we can slap some redshirts on...

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by etk View Post
                              yup....McCarthy is out, Moncur's out, Youngblood's out

hopefully we can slap some redshirts on...
                              Slap them on Cracker and Moncur but let Youngbloods ass go. I'd rather play Ben Jones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
                                Slap them on Cracker and Moncur but let Youngbloods ass go. I'd rather play Ben Jones.
                                Youngblood is the epitome of a Coker recruit. He and Sam Shields (who cares more about "The U football player" title than actually performing on the field. He almost cost us the FSU game all by himself.

Promised PT to come here, didn't work hard at all, no heart, horrible player.

Did anyone see Gavin Hardin during the FSU game? That dude is a gamer. Can't wait until he plays. He will give his everything.
                                "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information