Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike James is ripping it up.

M. JAMES IMPRESSES

Mike James was dominant Saturday, catching passes out of the backfield and running for several big plays. He played some at fullback, and said he had two mental errors lining up. Coach Randy Shannon still was impressed.

''He don't look like a freshman,'' he said. ``He's catching the ball good and running the ball good and it's only going to make Javarris [James] and Cooper a lot better.''

Phillips said of Mike James: ``He's like a physical, bigger version of Emmitt Smith. He runs really tough. Him and Damien Berry came in and did a good job getting upfield and breaking tackles.''

James described his play as ''fair,'' and said he didn't care if he started. ''Wherever I land on the depth chart, I just want to make a difference,'' he said.

Comment

• As long as he doesn't have issues with ball security, he'll make it tough for our coaches to keep him on the sideline.

And he's such a class act and hard worker that he'll keep improving while he's here. I fully expect him to carry the load for us somewhere down the road....breaking the usual Miami trend of 2-4 RBs splitting time.

Kinda surprised at the lack of discussion over Lee Chambers this spring. Is he hurt?

I don't want to seem like a typical "grass is always greener" fan....but M. James and Chambers are an upgrade over JJ and Coop IMO. That is unless Coop starts running with authority.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Is James the big back that joey didn't like?

Comment

• Originally posted by BRAVEHEART View Post
          Is James the big back that joey didn't like?
          nonono....

Joey likes James, just not as much as he likes Bryce and Lamar Miller. Joey likes the explosive backs that hit the hole fast and slash and cut....blablabla.

James gets lost in the shuffle, but that doesn't mean people don't like him (except for that ******** analyst on insidetheu.com).

But yeah you have the right idea about who we're talking about.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• <--- not surprised

Comment

Is James the big back that joey didn't like?
              I like him. I just don't think he has the potential of Bryce or Lamar.

Comment

• Originally posted by etk View Post
                As long as he doesn't have issues with ball security, he'll make it tough for our coaches to keep him on the sideline.

And he's such a class act and hard worker that he'll keep improving while he's here. I fully expect him to carry the load for us somewhere down the road....breaking the usual Miami trend of 2-4 RBs splitting time.

Kinda surprised at the lack of discussion over Lee Chambers this spring. Is he hurt?

I don't want to seem like a typical "grass is always greener" fan....but M. James and Chambers are an upgrade over JJ and Coop IMO. That is unless Coop starts running with authority.
                Arm has been in a sling for a couple weeks. But of course Randy won't say what it is.

As for Mike and Chambers being better then Cooper and JJ. Remember JJ was getting the exact same hype that Mike is right now when he hit campus. Don't count our chickens before they hatch. Cooper is still better then Chambers. Has nothing to do with running with authority. He wasn't being used correctly.

Comment

• Originally posted by fresssh View Post
                  I keep forgetting about Jaylen Watkins. He has Florida as his leader but hasnt been to Miami yet. I think he cud be a top CB to come out of this class. Miami was in his top 5 before they even offered. And Tailer Jones is paying his own way to come down for the Spring Break game. He said we are recruiting him as an athlete. I really hope we can pull 4 CB's this year. CB's, LB's, and these highly rated O line men are my main concern.
                  Probably be 3 CBs.

but we have a better chance at Watkins isn't looking like a viable option and Tai-Ler Jones is a longshot at best.

At this point, taking in the recent Grimes news.

I'd say something along the lines of Dior Mathis, Terrence Brooks and Tony Grimes looks the most likely.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeyJr09 View Post
                    I like him. I just don't think he has the potential of Bryce or Lamar.
                    Najeh, while the other two are Willis and Frank/Clinton?

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeyJr09 View Post
                      Arm has been in a sling for a couple weeks. But of course Randy won't say what it is.

As for Mike and Chambers being better then Cooper and JJ. Remember JJ was getting the exact same hype that Mike is right now when he hit campus. Don't count our chickens before they hatch. Cooper is still better then Chambers. Has nothing to do with running with authority. He wasn't being used correctly.
                      Now I feel stupid as I've seen pictures of him in the sling. Brain wasn't working I guess.

JJ and MJ are pretty similar. MJ is a more complete back at this point in his career but JJ has the experience on him right now. If JJ is fully healthy it will be close. If it's close, the Senior will get the touches.

Cooper is 20x as talented as Chambers but Chambers hits the hole hard and runs downhill. Cooper dances too much, has poor vision and runs tentatively in the open field. He gets to the 2nd level and runs himself into contact, and he stops on contact.

I don't think Cooper was used correctly or coached properly. If he runs with more authority (decisive running, not power running like u prolly thought) he is a 1st round talent.

It's a stupid argument because we have great depth. We can go on for days about "not counting your chickens" with Mike James and Damien Berry, but at least we know we have 5 backs who can play and a 6th coming in the summer.

EDIT: 10000th post, cool! I should totally go make a lovefest thread...no wait, nvm no thx.
                      Last edited by etk; 03-15-2009, 06:50 PM.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by fresssh View Post
                        I keep forgetting about Jaylen Watkins. He has Florida as his leader but hasnt been to Miami yet. I think he cud be a top CB to come out of this class. Miami was in his top 5 before they even offered. And Tailer Jones is paying his own way to come down for the Spring Break game. He said we are recruiting him as an athlete. I really hope we can pull 4 CB's this year. CB's, LB's, and these highly rated O line men are my main concern.
                        Jaylen is all Gator right now...

Comment

Najeh, while the other two are Willis and Frank/Clinton?
                          Lamar gets compared to Clinton Portis all the time. And it really is uncanny how much Lamar's game resembles Clintons.

James does get compared to Najeh alot and he is a somewhat similar game. James is shiftier then Najeh was.

Don't take me saying James is similar to Najeh as a put down. Ask anyone on here. Najeh was a heck of a RB for us. He was overshadowed by other backs while here but he excelled at his role and although he was seen as mostly a FB, he had more of a RB skill set.

Najeh has really only been looked down on since he got to the league and sucked there but at Miami he was really good.

Comment

• Any Willis McGahee type back on our depth chart?? I think I'm just wishful thinking..
                            Jets, Mets, Knicks, and the U's too cool for uze

Sig by, Hitman D

Comment

• Mike James is tearing it up.

I may have to tip my cap to etk if he keeps this up.
                              "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

• Originally posted by djp View Post
                                Mike James is tearing it up.

I may have to tip my cap to etk if he keeps this up.
                                And Hollywood.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information