2015 Canes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by etk View Post
    Larry is the man. You don't need to pull up a link to support something he says. It's supported by his screenname.

Lamar Miller is a better athlete than Mike James, but I'm not buying the better runner/potential argument. At least not with my criteria for the position.
    RB more then any position in football is the place where a pure athlete can become a star. Basically, you just give him the ball and let him run. You don't need more then basic blocking schemes and running lane knowledge to excell.

So tell me how can you say Lamar Miller is a better athlete and not think he was more potential?

Comment

• Originally posted by thebow305 View Post
      We have so much more talent on this team than Tennessee does.

is better than 99% of college teams by himself, Miami included. :D

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeyJr09 View Post
        RB more then any position in football is the place where a pure athlete can become a star. Basically, you just give him the ball and let him run. You don't need more then basic blocking schemes and running lane knowledge to excell.

So tell me how can you say Lamar Miller is a better athlete and not think he was more potential?
        I disagree with your first comment. That might work against defenses in college (i.e. McFadden, Bush, McCoy) but it doesn't lead to pro success. Not that Miller has bust written all over him like those guys.

If that was the case with the RB position, don't you think Graig Cooper would be a star? Problem is, the blocking isn't there for him to create anything past the LOS.

Lamar Miller has an aggressive, slashing running style, but that will lead him into nothing but trouble behind our ***** offensive line. Mike James is the kind of back that keeps your offense flowing and helps put together long drives.

James has more potential because he has great size and frame, good feet, good speed, power, plus intangibles. I can't see Miller having the kind of consistency that James is capable of.

When you put the film on for James, you see him beat the defense in many different ways. With Lamar Miller it's the same run repeated over and over again. Diversity = potential as well.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post

is better than 99% of college teams by himself, Miami included. :D
          Should have been a 'Cane.

I blame Ferman for letting his secret visit out of the bag.

Comment

I disagree with your first comment. That might work against defenses in college (i.e. McFadden, Bush, McCoy) but it doesn't lead to pro success. Not that Miller has bust written all over him like those guys.

If that was the case with the RB position, don't you think Graig Cooper would be a star? Problem is, the blocking isn't there for him to create anything past the LOS.

Lamar Miller has an aggressive, slashing running style, but that will lead him into nothing but trouble behind our ***** offensive line. Mike James is the kind of back that keeps your offense flowing and helps put together long drives.

When you put the film on for James, you see him beat the defense in many different ways. With Lamar Miller it's the same run repeated over and over again. Diversity = potential as well.
            What does blocking have to do with Miller or James potential and ability?

If the blocking sucks the blocking sucks. Even the best backs can't do anything with poor blocking. The fact that our blocking could be suspect doesn't suddenly made James a better fit or give him more potential.

Originally posted by etk View Post
            James has more potential because he has great size and frame, good feet, good speed, power, plus intangibles. I can't see Miller having the kind of consistency that James is capable of.
            You can say the same things about Miller. He has good size and a solid frame. In fact you could certainly make the case that once these kids are fully filled out, Miller will have a better RB body while James will have more a bowling ball, short yardage FB type body. Both have good feet. Miller wins in the speed department. Not even close. And I have no idea how you can truly say James has intangibles yet. He's been on campus for what 2 weeks. If you wanna talk about intangibles, Miller showed me more by sitting out camps in order to get his grades in order for to get into his school of choice. He missed visits and everything to get it done. But bottom line, these kids havent even taken a snap here so we can't talk about intangibles. For all we know one of them could crack under the pressure of a big game.

Comment

What does blocking have to do with Miller or James potential and ability?

If the blocking sucks the blocking sucks. Even the best backs can't do anything with poor blocking. The fact that our blocking could be suspect doesn't suddenly made James a better fit or give him more potential.

You can say the same things about Miller. He has good size and a solid frame. In fact you could certainly make the case that once these kids are fully filled out, Miller will have a better RB body while James will have more a bowling ball, short yardage FB type body. Both have good feet. Miller wins in the speed department. Not even close. And I have no idea how you can truly say James has intangibles yet. He's been on campus for what 2 weeks. If you wanna talk about intangibles, Miller showed me more by sitting out camps in order to get his grades in order for to get into his school of choice. He missed visits and everything to get it done. But bottom line, these kids havent even taken a snap here so we can't talk about intangibles. For all we know one of them could crack under the pressure of a big game.
              You claim that athletic talents are all that matters to succeed. I disagree. Some backs have a knack for gaining additional yardage despite the holes being unavailable. This is a result of agility, power, vision, or a combination of the 3. I've seen it firsthand with the Bucs: Cadillac Williams is a talented back but he struggles behind our line. Earnest Graham is much more effective. James reminds me of Graham, while Miller reminds me of Cadillac.

There are definitely RBs who are better suited for different kinds of blocking. Darren McFadden needs one hole to outrun everyone. Adrian Peterson needs space on stretch plays to find a crease. Other backs, like Warrick Dunn, run low, drive their feet and make people miss while diving forward. Not all RBs have this ability.

When I say intangibles, I mean positional intangibles. The stuff you can't touch or teach. Mike James is a natural runner who manages to make small gains out of nothing and big gains out of a little despite average long speed.

When both backs are filled out, Miller will be built like Portis while James will be built like Jamal Lewis/Earnest Graham. I happen to be a big fan of those kind of RBs.

I think Miller will be a great #2 option for us, but James will be the guy we rely on every week to help carry the offense. I can't wait to see him in action.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

You claim that athletic talents are all that matters to succeed. I disagree. Some backs have a knack for gaining additional yardage despite the holes being unavailable. This is a result of agility, power, vision, or a combination of the 3. I've seen it firsthand with the Bucs: Cadillac Williams is a talented back but he struggles behind our line. Earnest Graham is much more effective. James reminds me of Graham, while Miller reminds me of Cadillac.

There are definitely RBs who are better suited for different kinds of blocking. Darren McFadden needs one hole to outrun everyone. Adrian Peterson needs space on stretch plays to find a crease. Other backs, like Warrick Dunn, run low, drive their feet and make people miss while diving forward. Not all RBs have this ability.

When I say intangibles, I mean positional intangibles. The stuff you can't touch or teach. Mike James is a natural runner who manages to make small gains out of nothing and big gains out of a little despite average long speed.

When both backs are filled out, Miller will be built like Portis while James will be built like Jamal Lewis/Earnest Graham. I happen to be a big fan of those kind of RBs.

I think Miller will be a great #2 option for us, but James will be the guy we rely on every week to help carry the offense. I can't wait to see him in action.
                We are gonna have to disagree on this one.

It sounds like you just like James because he's huge and can move a people and is a physical runner.

But you make Miller sound like he's a small guy that just outruns everyone.

Remember dude, we are going off highlight tapes. James isn't as fast as Miller so he can't just outrun everyone. He has to move people and be physical just in order to be great.

Miller was faster then anyone else so he could get away with outrunning everyone. But that doesn't mean he isn't a guy that can get physical and move a pile either. He actually does so on some plays but they arent as frequent in the highlights because it wasnt something he needed to do. His other talents are what carried him in HS. Clinton Portis is a pretty big RB. If Lamar Miller fills out that way, he will have no problem getting physical and running that way.

BTW..I still dont see how blocking or the type of runner they are changes their potential in this case. Put them both on equal footing here in Miami and I still say Miller has more potential. I'm not seeing how James fits our blocking or style any better then Miller does.

Comment

• Hey joey,

What do you think about our chances of getting Chris Dunkley and Lynden Trail?

They are probably 2 of my favorite recruits right now, along with Jakhari Gore.
                  Last edited by thebow305; 03-20-2009, 12:37 AM.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Comment

Hey joey,

What do you think about our chances of getting Chris Dunkley and Lynden Trail?

They are probably 2 of my favorite recruits right now, along with Jakhari Gore.
                    Dunkley is going to UF.

Trail is ours if we want him.

Comment

• Ath DeShawn Beck talks about how he grew up a canes fan and is trying to get recruited by them. Says if they offer he is already ready to take a visit. Says he has an offer from USC but isnt that interested. I seen somewhere saying he is going to play CB in college.

Comment

Dunkley is going to UF.

Trail is ours if we want him.
                        Do you think we have any chance with Dunkley or is he Gaytor all the way?

Comment

Do you think we have any chance with Dunkley or is he Gaytor all the way?
                          No chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by fresssh View Post
                            Ath DeShawn Beck talks about how he grew up a canes fan and is trying to get recruited by them. Says if they offer he is already ready to take a visit. Says he has an offer from USC but isnt that interested. I seen somewhere saying he is going to play CB in college.
                            Where do you pull all these names from?

Aren't you the one that brough up Ravonne Carter? Then Duante Carr in the recruiting thread. And now DeShawn Beck?

Carter isnt being recruited. Carr is being talked to just to help us out with Tai-ler Jones, he isnt a serious option (think Daniel Andrews with Jaime Harper 2 years ago) and Beck is all Pac-10.

What gives with all the random names?

Comment

No chance.
                              Thats disappointing. :( I guess I'll be getting my hopes up for nothing.

Comment

Where do you pull all these names from?

Aren't you the one that brough up Ravonne Carter? Then Duante Carr in the recruiting thread. And now DeShawn Beck?

Carter isnt being recruited. Carr is being talked to just to help us out with Tai-ler Jones, he isnt a serious option (think Daniel Andrews with Jaime Harper 2 years ago) and Beck is all Pac-10.

What gives with all the random names?
                                Not really random names, these guys still have plenty of time to be recruited. You asked me the same question when I brought up Jon Ragoo and said we arent connected to him in anyway and he wont be a Miami player, now he is on your other top targets list. You said the same thing about Jeff Luc and now he is one of our top recruits. Also like when you told me I was crazy to say Ogletree and Mathis were Miami leans. But Im just passing the info I hear. Beck is trying to get recruited by Miami, and wants to come down for a visit , grew up a Miami fan and just talks about how he is not that interested in USC. I heard hes going to play corner which I thought he looked really good at, and we need corners.
                                Last edited by fresssh; 03-20-2009, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information