College Players Should be Paid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Players Should be Paid

The disparity between what the scholarships are worth and the amount of money that these student athletes bring to their universities is appalling. These students are taking the time that most students work part time at near minimum wage and laying it all on the line for their university varsity team. Everyone agrees that most universities have been less than stellar at graduating high profile student athletes. Why not tie the two together to achieve a common goal?

http://www.fanblogs.com/ncaa/007012.php

no they're getting a great education.
    "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

What about the Valedictorian who gos on to be rich and donates back to the school? Should he be payed?

Comment

Hmmm, this is tempting. Ok I give in: (although these will be brief and blunt)

1) Already have full ride schollies (free education)

2) Trickle down effect to High School

3) Greed

4) Professionalizing College Sports

5) Damaging a great tradition of sporting

6) Paying all those who bring in money for the University

Off the top of my head those are my points against paying college athletes, and if you want me to expand on them I will but their pretty self explanatory.

I don't mind monthly stipends so they can get their necessities but I am strongly opposed to paying college athletes, and I have first hand experience on this topic because I play college sports.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
        Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

Originally posted by gbpackers0065 View Post
          What about the Valedictorian who gos on to be rich and donates back to the school? Should he be payed?
          What about the first chair violin player who works hard at her hobby/activity? He/She brings in money for the university through concerts. If you pay athletes you have to start paying drama members, band members, orchestra members, etc...It's not fair if you don't.

Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

They are getting paid: it's called a FREE education

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

I go back and forth on this topic. Yea they get a ton of $ for FREE education, that amount up to the 5 digit sums for all the years. But say a player grew up in poverty and his parents cant afford to send him $ to buy tooth paste and things like that. I think there should be a special program that a athlete w/ a scholarship can apply for "needs money" Which they get the money to buy toothpaste and so on. But the kids who grew up in a gated community and there parents have 6 BMWs dont get that $.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetness34 View Post
                What about the first chair violin player who works hard at her hobby/activity? He/She brings in money for the university through concerts. If you pay athletes you have to start paying drama members, band members, orchestra members, etc...It's not fair if you don't.
                Exactly, why should only athletes get paid when there are students who work just as hard (if not harder) than the athlete does.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens1991 View Post
                  I go back and forth on this topic. Yea they get a ton of $ for FREE education, that amount up to the 5 digit sums for all the years. But say a player grew up in poverty and his parents cant afford to send him $ to buy tooth paste and things like that. I think there should be a special program that a athlete w/ a scholarship can apply for "needs money" Which they get the money to buy toothpaste and so on. But the kids who grew up in a gated community and there parents have 6 BMWs dont get that $.
                  And they do get stipends for things they need, but I think they should raise it a bit from where it is. I just don't like the salary idea at all.

Comment

you think the degrees they're getting are really "great" educations? the coaches want them to do as little as possible in the classroom.

Comment

they shouldn't be paid....

Originally posted by ONUV View Post
                      you think the degrees they're getting are really "great" educations? the coaches want them to do as little as possible in the classroom.
                      The VAST majority of college athletes will never play professional sports. If I were them I would be spending a lot of time studying/in the classroom. Between the free education/room/board and the connections they make with alumni/other important people from being on the team the universities give student athletes all the tools to succeed in the real world...

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
                      Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by ONUV View Post
                        your an idiot there are plenty of division I, II , and III athletes who value school over athletics

Comment

The fact is, they get a lot of extra money. As I've said before, this past summer I was an RA for some of the incoming freshman football players. They got money for books that was ridiculously high, upwards of $500. It was a flat payment on their BuckID for books, but about $300 more than I've ever spent in a quarter on books, and when the guys take classes like "Hip-Hop Dance," etc, they aren't even using that money. One guy ended up buying shoes with most of his money. So, there are ways they are getting some extra cash for the essentials. They get free food, free room, and past that, many things are doable with this cash.

Follow Me on Twitter!
                          https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Going to college is a priveledge, not a right.

No, they shouldn't be paid.

Comment

I go back and forth on this issue too. They bring in a LOT of money to the school, and my roommates would leave for class at 9 am and not get home until 6-7 pm. It is a full time job at a D1 school.

Without a doubt they need to increase the stipend they get.
                              I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                              Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information