No announcement yet.

College Players Should be Paid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USC's tuition is $30K+/yr. thats over $120K in paid tuition alone. Other public state school 4 yr tuition is easily $30-50K.

Comment

Originally posted by geaux tigers View Post
      USC's tuition is $30K+/yr. thats over $120K in paid tuition alone. Other public state school 4 yr tuition is easily $30-50K.
      That is for out of state, most athletes are from the state they go to.
      I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
      Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by dabears10 View Post
        My roommate is in Athletic Training. He puts in the same, if not more hours then the football players do. He gets there before they are there and leaves after they do a majority of the time as well as taking 15-18 hours of courses. ALL of the trainers have to do this so while they are paying to go to school and having to do all of this UNPAID why are they not giving money?
        He is given experience. It isn't like thee arren't on-campus jobs he could do.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxV View Post
          Going to college is a priveledge, not a right.

No, they shouldn't be paid.
          Good post! I agree!

Comment

anyone thats been around big time college football...or has played it..knows those guys arnt left in need of anything...they shouldnt be gettin a paycheck...they are well taken care of

Comment

They definitely should be paid, most are recruited to play sports and the school hardly cares if they ever graduate. They do not get a FREE Education, they have to put in long hours of practice, weight training etc. etc. to stay eligible and play games even at exam time which often involves hours of travel. They risk serious injuries which can have life time consequences.
              The schools barely let 60% graduate mostly to satisfy the parents in enticing prospects to come to their school. It used to be more in like 35-40% graduation rates before newspapers started printing the results and embarrassed schools into working harder to pass their student athletes.
              The schools make millions off their efforts and continue to increase the # of games they play to maximize their profits while increasing significantly the chances for a very serious injury. They are IN FACT, employees of the University who get peanuts for the amount of money they generate for their schools and have absolutely no recourse. They are in fact saves who get a pittance for their efforts and are terminated if the school sees fit. It may appear on the surface to be a comfortable slavery but it is slavery nevertheless. There is NO other program in a university that asks its students to risk life and serious injury to attend school for a slim chance to graduate in a serious program.
              The whole system is totally disgusting and some day it will seriously be tested in the courts for its abuse but until then, those who support it sound a lot like pre Civil War southern sympathizers who argued their slaves were after all, looked after, fed and housed at no cost to them and should be happy with their situation. YES, they definitely need to be paid!!!
              And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by reese View Post
                anyone thats been around big time college football...or has played it..knows those guys arnt left in need of anything...they shouldnt be gettin a paycheck...they are well taken care of
                Yes, through boosters, which is against the rules. Paying the athletes even the playing field. Honestly, do you think UTEP boosters can/will pay athletes as much as UT boosters? You give the athletes more money(the same amount at each school) and you even the recruiting field somewhat, leading to more parity.
                I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                  They definitely should be paid, most are recruited to play sports and the school hardly cares if they ever graduate. They do not get a FREE Education, they have to put in long hours of practice, weight training etc. etc. to stay eligible and play games even at exam time which often involves hours of travel. They risk serious injuries which can have life time consequences.
                  The schools barely let 60% graduate mostly to satisfy the parents in enticing prospects to come to their school. It used to be more in like 35-40% graduation rates before newspapers started printing the results and embarrassed schools into working harder to pass their student athletes.
                  The schools make millions off their efforts and continue to increase the # of games they play to maximize their profits while increasing significantly the chances for a very serious injury. They are IN FACT, employees of the University who get peanuts for the amount of money they generate for their schools and have absolutely no recourse. They are in fact saves who get a pittance for their efforts and are terminated if the school sees fit. It may appear on the surface to be a comfortable slavery but it is slavery nevertheless. There is NO other program in a university that asks its students to risk life and serious injury to attend school for a slim chance to graduate in a serious program.
                  The whole system is totally disgusting and some day it will seriously be tested in the courts for its abuse but until then, those who support it sound a lot like pre Civil War southern sympathizers who argued their slaves were after all, looked after, fed and housed at no cost to them and should be happy with their situation. YES, they definitely need to be paid!!!
                  Slavery? I wouldn't go that far, it is optional after all. But athletes do deserve to get paid, just for the fact that a single serious knee injury will probably affect the athlete for the rest of their life, likely ending in knee replacement surgery years down the road, something the school won't pay for when you are 60.
                  Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                    Hahahahaha, slavery. They don't have to play football. They can hit the books and study and get a desk job if they want! This shouldn't even be brought up, it is ludicrous to even consider athletics anything like slavery - mainly, that sports are fun!

Football provides lots of athletes to the ability to obtain an education that they could not afford. Not everyone is there just for football - there are thousands and thousands of athletes that go pro at something other than sports....

And for the big time athletes that work at it, they can graduate. I know Demeco Ryans graduated in 7 semesters and he was the ROY.

Again, no one is making these kids play football. It is a choice that they make. They are looked up to and praised, hardly the same treatment given to slaves.

Comment

Originally posted by someone447 View Post
                      But athletes do deserve to get paid, just for the fact that a single serious knee injury will probably affect the athlete for the rest of their life, likely ending in knee replacement surgery years down the road, something the school won't pay for when you are 60.
                      What about high school athletes? Can't they get injured too? Should they be paid so in case they suffer knee injuries?

Comment

i havent read anything

but did someone seriously compare collefe athletics to slavery?

-sig by jkpigskin

Comment

Originally posted by VY10 View Post
                          What about high school athletes? Can't they get injured too? Should they be paid so in case they suffer knee injuries?
                          High school and college football is completely different, and you know that. For one thing, serious injuries in high school football are much less common. For another, they make little to no money for their school. And finally, they can easily have a job, college football players do not have time for a job, and when they can get one, it has to be approved by the NCAA.
                          Last edited by someone447; 06-13-2007, 04:05 AM.
                          Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by someone447 View Post
                            High school and college football is completely different, and you know that. For one thing, serious injuries in high school football are much less common. For another, they make little to no money for their school.
                            It's still a possibility. However, Football at most schools bring in a lot of their sports budget.

Frankly,

They do get paid, As do smart kids, and minorities.

They get free scholarships. They have to produce and they get free-education.

I can't play sports anymore (Well, My doctor told me they can fix my condition and I could get back to playing shape), and I have to work for an Academic Scholarship... because If I don't, I'll basically have to pay back the cost of an education, that can potentially cost upwards the value of 10-20 Lexus'.

So to say there's nothing to save a student-athlete if they get injured.... most Scholarships, have clauses to protect students if they get injured, by still providing a free education...

My cousin got one, he was a 6'4 324lb DT.. He went to Robert Morris and I think Plays OL.

He got injured his Senior year in school.. and when he signed his scholarship RMU showed the Clause in his scholarship that as long as he has a certain GPA (2.5 or 2.75 I believe), he would then be transferred over to an academic scholarship.

So they get paid, they have the luxury of a great education that most normal people have to pay back for 20-30 years..

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
                              It's still a possibility. However, Football at most schools bring in a lot of their sports budget.

Frankly,

They do get paid, As do smart kids, and minorities.

They get free scholarships. They have to produce and they get free-education.

I can't play sports anymore (Well, My doctor told me they can fix my condition and I could get back to playing shape), and I have to work for an Academic Scholarship... because If I don't, I'll basically have to pay back the cost of an education, that can potentially cost upwards the value of 10-20 Lexus'.

So to say there's nothing to save a student-athlete if they get injured.... most Scholarships, have clauses to protect students if they get injured, by still providing a free education...

My cousin got one, he was a 6'4 324lb DT.. He went to Robert Morris and I think Plays OL.

He got injured his Senior year in school.. and when he signed his scholarship RMU showed the Clause in his scholarship that as long as he has a certain GPA (2.5 or 2.75 I believe), he would then be transferred over to an academic scholarship.

So they get paid, they have the luxury of a great education that most normal people have to pay back for 20-30 years..
                              I'm not even talking about not being able to play if they get injured. I am talking about the doctor bills from knee or hip replacement surgeries when they are older that they have to get due to the wear and tear of college football.
                              Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Going to all these D1 Universities provides one with GREAT opportunities.

That, in itself, is a worthy reward.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information