Announcement

Collapse

***Recruiting Forum Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING***

The recruiting forum has gotten out of hand and we need to fix this right now. I admit that I myself may have slipped up in the past, but not anymore. The recruiting forum is not exempt from the rules for the rest of the forums. This is not a new rule, just a clarification of an existing one.

Links:

No factual information can be posted without a link to the source of that information. This means any time a player commits to a school, names a leader, drops a school from his list, etc. you must provide a link with your post. If you do not have a valid link supporting your information then keep it to yourself. Obviously, you don't need to link to your own personal opinions. Just make it clear that they are your opinions.

Acceptable Sources:

Most online newspapers and websites are acceptable. No premium information (info that you pay for) is to be posted. The only exception to that rule is if the information you are posting is in the header of a premium article, which is free for all to read. If the information is hidden behind the words "click here to subscribe," then don't even bother. Websites such as Buckeye Planet, IrishEvy, and MGoBlog are acceptable. However, only information from the articles/interviews/blog posts from these sites are permissible. Any information obtain on one of these sites' message boards should be assumed to be unreliable (even if you yourself trust it). Anything posted on Facebook is private information and should be treated that way.

Disciplinary Action:

Since this is a fresh reminder, everyone gets one freebie. The first time you break this rule, you will have your post deleted and that is it. If you break it a second time, your post will be deleted and you will get a warning. If you ignore the warning and break it a third time, you will receive an infraction.

Remember, these are Scott Wright's rules not mine. We want everyone to still have fun, but we can't keep ignoring the rules of the website.
See more
See less

Pete Carroll: The greatest recruiter in the history of CFB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Randy Shannon is a great recruiter. Im a Miami Fan of course, but did any of you see the class we pulled last year? It just jumps out at you completely. Talent all across the board.

But I must say Carroll has done a great job at USC with recruiting.

Graig Cooper makes opposing defenses look silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Zyro_1014 View Post
      well its tough when USC is stacked at every position on the depth chart but he can still bring in top recruits. pretty impressive if you ask me.
      if you can play out a senior as a true freshman... Pete will start you.

Hitman D

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
        southern california. that's it really. bunch of hot girls walking around in bikinis and you're an 18/19 year old kid. it's ******* the beach. SoCal. Pete's done great, but come on...
        The school is in the middle of the ghetto. And if it's so easy to do, how come Pete Carroll has a job at USC? Someone obviously couldn't recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by tEk View Post
          if you can play out a senior as a true freshman... Pete will start you.
          Carroll's program is all about competition. Competition weeds out the weak, and I love what Carroll has done at SC. USC's players know they have to bust it in practice and games because if they don't get the job done, there's another HS All-Everything waiting in the wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
            Carroll's pitch.
            1. Pulls out a picture of the beach.
            2. Pulls out a picture of multiple celebrities on the sidelines.
            3. Pulls out a picture of Leinart on the beach throwing a football around with multiple celebrities.
            4. Says, "This could be you"
            This was not intended to be humorous. I have inside sources that tell me these things.
            ^^, This guy knows what's up.

but speaking truthfully....it's not Carroll's fault that he has the best weather, women, and dare I say history, to pitch.
            Does that make him the best recruiter ever? We will never know unless he goes somewhere else and pulls the same talent, which I doubt he will do on both accounts.

It does raise an interesting question. What makes a good recruiter? A guy that pulls more talent than the program should pull?
            Last edited by Bruce Banner; 09-17-2008, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
              The school is in the middle of the ghetto. And if it's so easy to do, how come Pete Carroll has a job at USC? Someone obviously couldn't recruit.
              Although the school is in the middle of the ghetto, the campus is really nice.

(Should be an easy transition for Matt Barkley)

Comment

also note: university of spoiled children.

lets face it... most sports types have less than questionable morals. if vegas had a school that was as legit as USC is, it'd have no problem drawing everyone.

Why do you think miami gets recruits year after year after year that are great?
                http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
                For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Banner View Post
                  ^^, This guy knows what's up.

but speaking truthfully....it's not Carroll's fault that he has the best weather, women, and dare I say history, to pitch.
                  Does that make him the best recruiter ever? We will never know unless he goes somewhere else and pulls the same talent, which I doubt he will do on both accounts.

It does raise an interesting question. What makes a good recruiter? A guy that pulls more talent than the program should pull?
                  Bingo. USC and Miami are the two schools that have the biggest advantage in selling themselves almost singlehandedly because of location. Sniper, neither of them are in the best areas, but come on dude. Who wouldn't want to live in either Southern California or the Miami area for four years for free.

SDSU is another school that could kill in the recruiting game if the school ever dedicated the resources to having a good football program.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                    Bingo. USC and Miami are the two schools that have the biggest advantage in selling themselves almost singlehandedly because of location. Sniper, neither of them are in the best areas, but come on dude. Who wouldn't want to live in either Southern California or the Miami area for four years for free.

SDSU is another school that could kill in the recruiting game if the school ever dedicated the resources to having a good football program.
                    I'm not saying the pitch isn't there, but like I said, Paul Hackett obviously couldn't recruit at USC.

Comment

Originally posted by soybean View Post
                      cierre woods matt barkley and the list goes on...
                      Didnt Cierre Wood commit to Notre Dame?

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post

You could also throw in UCLA which IMO is better than USC in every way.

SDSU isn't as nice as either school and isn't a BCS team so that might hurt them.

Comment

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                          Al Golden

Yeah if Pete Carroll can go somewhere else and do the same he is the greatest. If he goes to like PA and pulls in a top class with Temple then that would be amazing.
                          Your right and if Tom Bradly doesn't get the job at penn state Al Golden might get the job

Speaking of bad places...i wasn't all that impressed with notre dame when visited there but Weiss seems to be doin well.
                          Last edited by DeathbyStat; 09-17-2008, 02:33 PM.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                          Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                            southern california. that's it really. bunch of hot girls walking around in bikinis and you're an 18/19 year old kid. it's ******* the beach. SoCal. Pete's done great, but come on...

Bear was the greatest ever, I agree there, but right now, go ahead, hate me for it, Schiano is a top 10 recruiter.

I mean come on, kids never even HEARD of Rutgers, a team that would win one game over 'cuse, and that would take an OT field goal. Kids from Miami follwed him, and now the NY and south jersey kids are going to RU instead of PSU
                            Rutgers got their Miami "pipeline" by taking Plan C or D kids that UM/UF/FSU didn't want.

They have never EVER stolen a recruit away from the Dade area that Miami wanted, and I highly doubt they ever will.

I give Schiano credit somewhat, but please don't point to the Miami "pipeline" as an example of his great recruiting.

Teams are recruiting in FL now more than ever because they know the Plan B/C kids that the Big 3 don't want are probably better, or at least faster, than the kids they are recruiting now.
                            "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

Originally posted by djp4516 View Post
                              Teams are recruiting in FL now more than ever because they know the Plan B/C kids that the Big 3 don't want are probably better, or at least faster, than the kids they are recruiting now.
                              This is true. I've heard more than a couple people say something like this, "A 3* in FL, TX, or CA is as good as a 4* anywhere else and a 4* in FL, TX, or CA is as good as a 5* anywhere else."

I'm glad Rich Rod has started taking the "B/C" kids out of Florida. I think it'll pay off eventually. We already look poised to take two of the better prospects out of Florida in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by P-L View Post
                                This is true. I've heard more than a couple people say something like this, "A 3* in FL, TX, or CA is as good as a 4* anywhere else and a 4* in FL, TX, or CA is as good as a 5* anywhere else."

I'm glad Rich Rod has started taking the "B/C" kids out of Florida. I think it'll pay off eventually. We already look poised to take two of the better prospects out of Florida in 2010.
                                That's why the recruiting services are so out of whack. They don't factor enough the quality of competition that these kids play when they rank them.

It's the reason you see so many FL, TX, CA, OH kids move up so quickly when the high school all star games start. That's when the true evaluating is done.

It's simple logic. Top kids who play other top kids develop better than people who just beat up on terrible 5'5 high school kids all day.

The other side of this is, you have to take into account the level of competition within the state. These are where the biggest recruiting "misses" take place. Also, a kid dominating horrible competition doesn't always mean he's a bad player either. It's the toughest thing to judge in recruiting.

A prime example of this is former FSU QB Xavier Lee. He played in arguably the worst talent pool in Florida, broke all these records, and was anointed the next great quarterback when in reality, all he was doing was just bullying kids with his size and big arm. He had no understanding of the game, and when he played top competition (which started at the AAA game), he struggled mightily.

A 3* kid from Dade County is more likely to succeed than a 4* kid from Iowa or Minnesota. It's just basic.

The fact that Randy Shannon is clamping down Dade/Broward County despite really no real success at Miami is going to turn the Canes into a national powerhouse once again if he can actually put the talent to proper use.
                                Last edited by djp; 09-17-2008, 11:19 PM.
                                "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information