Announcement

Collapse

***Recruiting Forum Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING***

The recruiting forum has gotten out of hand and we need to fix this right now. I admit that I myself may have slipped up in the past, but not anymore. The recruiting forum is not exempt from the rules for the rest of the forums. This is not a new rule, just a clarification of an existing one.

Links:

No factual information can be posted without a link to the source of that information. This means any time a player commits to a school, names a leader, drops a school from his list, etc. you must provide a link with your post. If you do not have a valid link supporting your information then keep it to yourself. Obviously, you don't need to link to your own personal opinions. Just make it clear that they are your opinions.

Acceptable Sources:

Most online newspapers and websites are acceptable. No premium information (info that you pay for) is to be posted. The only exception to that rule is if the information you are posting is in the header of a premium article, which is free for all to read. If the information is hidden behind the words "click here to subscribe," then don't even bother. Websites such as Buckeye Planet, IrishEvy, and MGoBlog are acceptable. However, only information from the articles/interviews/blog posts from these sites are permissible. Any information obtain on one of these sites' message boards should be assumed to be unreliable (even if you yourself trust it). Anything posted on Facebook is private information and should be treated that way.

Disciplinary Action:

Since this is a fresh reminder, everyone gets one freebie. The first time you break this rule, you will have your post deleted and that is it. If you break it a second time, your post will be deleted and you will get a warning. If you ignore the warning and break it a third time, you will receive an infraction.

Remember, these are Scott Wright's rules not mine. We want everyone to still have fun, but we can't keep ignoring the rules of the website.
See more
See less

Pete Carroll: The greatest recruiter in the history of CFB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djp4516 View Post
    That's why the recruiting services are so out of whack. They don't factor enough the quality of competition that these kids play when they rank them.

It's the reason you see so many FL, TX, CA, OH kids move up so quickly when the high school all star games start. That's when the true evaluating is done.

It's simple logic. Top kids who play other top kids develop better than people who just beat up on terrible 5'5 high school kids all day.

The other side of this is, you have to take into account the level of competition within the state. These are where the biggest recruiting "misses" take place. Also, a kid dominating horrible competition doesn't always mean he's a bad player either. It's the toughest thing to judge in recruiting.

A prime example of this is former FSU QB Xavier Lee. He played in arguably the worst talent pool in Florida, broke all these records, and was anointed the next great quarterback when in reality, all he was doing was just bullying kids with his size and big arm. He had no understanding of the game, and when he played top competition (which started at the AAA game), he struggled mightily.

A 3* kid from Dade County is more likely to succeed than a 4* kid from Iowa or Minnesota. It's just basic.

The fact that Randy Shannon is clamping down Dade/Broward County despite really no real success at Miami is going to turn the Canes into a national powerhouse once again if he can actually put the talent to proper use.
    So what you're really trying to say is that Bryce Brown is going to suck?

:P

Comment

Originally posted by P-L View Post
      This is true. I've heard more than a couple people say something like this, "A 3* in FL, TX, or CA is as good as a 4* anywhere else and a 4* in FL, TX, or CA is as good as a 5* anywhere else."

I'm glad Rich Rod has started taking the "B/C" kids out of Florida. I think it'll pay off eventually. We already look poised to take two of the better prospects out of Florida in 2010.
      Which are the two better 2010 prospects?

I know Miami is taking a small class this year because we are loading up on South Florida talent next year so I'd be surprised to see anyone taking any kid we offer from our area.

Anyways, the proof is in the pudding. Sean Spence was rated a 4* and he has arguably been the best freshman in the entire country, regardless of position. Not to mention all the other kids we had come in from south florida and give the number 5 ranked team all they can handle. All this while our big OOS recruit (Arthur Brown) is too raw to even see the field.

Comment

Originally posted by slightlyaraiderfan View Post

He's saying Bryce Brown will take longer to develope then South Florida talent. Read my above post to see what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by slightlyaraiderfan View Post

I knew somebody was going to comment on that, haha.

I think anyone who knows anything about football and has even watched Bryce carry the ball a couple times can see he's going to be special.

Like I said, evaluating talent in the Midwest is extremely tough to do, but like my man Bryce proved in San Antonio last year, he's worth the hype. They do sometimes take longer to develop.

I've stated previously I think he has a legit shot to be the best RB we have ever had.
          "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

To answer the original topic at hand, I have tremendous respect for Pete Carroll. Yes, he has an easy sell, but recruiting is obviously harder than ever. He has a great support system of coaches around him with a great blend of recruiting prowess and coaching ability.

I'm really glad the Canes got Mike Barrow. They really did follow in SC's footsteps there. He is a phenomenal recruiter and once you click on the YT link in my sig once, you will recognize why kids want to play for him.
            "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
              Which are the two better 2010 prospects?
              Marvin Robinson and Ricardo Miller.

Comment

I think Robinson is Florida's to lose. I have heard Michigan mentioned though, which is more than you could say a couple years back.

Ricardo Miller appears to be a Michigan lock. Dr. Phillips produced Ryan Moore though, so be careful ;)

Comment

Ok, figured they were central florida prospects. Tell RR that he's recruiting the wrong part of the state.

Ricardo Miller is a bust I can tell you that now. No one good comes out of Orlando. No one. Think Joe Joseph and Ryan Moore. You better hope you pass on him. I can't think of the last good player to come from there.

Marvin Robinson should be a solid 4 star but he'll be a tough pull from the Gators.

Either way, no one we care about. Bigger fish to fry.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
                    He's saying Bryce Brown will take longer to develope then South Florida talent. Read my above post to see what I mean.
                    Bro, I was being facetious.

Comment

Sure one out of state recruit visited USC in 08, he said that he would love to meet Eve when he was in la... Bang he meets her in some club and then he finishes his visit and commits to an SEC team.

Comment

The best recruiter is Butch Davis and it isn't even close.

He is the man who brought Miami from 5-6 in the late 90s to 20 first round picks in the early 2000s.

He basically recruited the mid 2000s Pro Bowl roster.

From wikipedia:
                        Ray Lewis (LB), Yatil Green (WR), Kenard Lang (DE), Kenny Holmes (DE), Duane Starks (CB), Edgerrin James (RB), Bubba Franks (TE), Dan Morgan (LB), Damione Lewis (DT), Santana Moss (WR), Reggie Wayne (WR), Bryant McKinnie (OT), Jeremy Shockey (TE), Phillip Buchanon (CB), Ed Reed (S), Mike Rumph (CB), Andre Johnson (WR), Jerome McDougle (DE), Willis McGahee (RB), William Joseph (DT), Sean Taylor (S), Kellen Winslow II (TE), Jonathan Vilma (LB), D.J. Williams (LB), Vernon Carey (OT), Vince Wilfork (DT), Antrel Rolle (CB), and Kelly Jennings (CB)[2]

Comment

Who recruited Gore and Portis?

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I think all the recruits are/were some what overrated. Like they said on college football live... sometimes recruits gain an extra star etc. simply because they were being recruited by usc.

EDIT: I just wish he was able to bring in Manti Teo and Vontaze Burfadict (sp?)
                            Last edited by soybean; 11-18-2009, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Programs like Miami and USC don't need great recruiters. They just need competent coaches who can win, and don't scare recruits away.

Think about this for a second.... If you were 18 years old, and were offered a scholarship to a school right by hollywood, the beach, year-round warm weather, in addition to a high opportunity of playing in a national championship game with a nfl career in the future, would you take that?

The point is... these programs sell themselves. There really isn't a lot you have to do to recruit a guy to usc...
                              Browns & Buckeyes <3

Comment

Originally posted by gstock05 View Post
                                Programs like Miami and USC don't need great recruiters. They just need competent coaches who can win, and don't scare recruits away.

Think about this for a second.... If you were 18 years old, and were offered a scholarship to a school right by hollywood, the beach, year-round warm weather, in addition to a high opportunity of playing in a national championship game with a nfl career in the future, would you take that?

The point is... these programs sell themselves. There really isn't a lot you have to do to recruit a guy to usc...
                                Not really. In case you haven't noticed, Miami has sucked since 2004. They are improving a lot and still can't get the top players from their own state.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank...2494&Year=2010

Notice how only a couple of the top 25 are even considering Miami.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information