Announcement

Collapse

***Recruiting Forum Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING***

The recruiting forum has gotten out of hand and we need to fix this right now. I admit that I myself may have slipped up in the past, but not anymore. The recruiting forum is not exempt from the rules for the rest of the forums. This is not a new rule, just a clarification of an existing one.

Links:

No factual information can be posted without a link to the source of that information. This means any time a player commits to a school, names a leader, drops a school from his list, etc. you must provide a link with your post. If you do not have a valid link supporting your information then keep it to yourself. Obviously, you don't need to link to your own personal opinions. Just make it clear that they are your opinions.

Acceptable Sources:

Most online newspapers and websites are acceptable. No premium information (info that you pay for) is to be posted. The only exception to that rule is if the information you are posting is in the header of a premium article, which is free for all to read. If the information is hidden behind the words "click here to subscribe," then don't even bother. Websites such as Buckeye Planet, IrishEvy, and MGoBlog are acceptable. However, only information from the articles/interviews/blog posts from these sites are permissible. Any information obtain on one of these sites' message boards should be assumed to be unreliable (even if you yourself trust it). Anything posted on Facebook is private information and should be treated that way.

Disciplinary Action:

Since this is a fresh reminder, everyone gets one freebie. The first time you break this rule, you will have your post deleted and that is it. If you break it a second time, your post will be deleted and you will get a warning. If you ignore the warning and break it a third time, you will receive an infraction.

Remember, these are Scott Wright's rules not mine. We want everyone to still have fun, but we can't keep ignoring the rules of the website.
See more
See less

The 2010 Recruiting Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
    Joyner caught Berry from behind on a big run last season when SW and Palmetto played, pretty famous highlight amongst Buckeye fans. Berry and Sabino/Howard know each other and are friends, and Berry and Sabino's moms watch the games together when OSU plays. Berry and Carter already know Joyner, there aren't best friends or anything but Joyner likes the idea of playing with Berry in Columbus - one of the reasons he said Ohio State is high on his list. I'm not sure about Howard and Sabino but what I meant really when I said having those Miami guys that can influence Joyner is that they and their parents can tell Joyner how they like Columbus and what their recruitment was like.
    Last year must have been one of those off years where Southwest did play Palmetto. They typically don't go against each other very much.

The fact that you had to saying something like "Sabino and Berry's moms are friends and Joyner knows Berry" seems like a pretty weak.

Still don't see the difference between that and ND. ND is full of guys from STA (where Joyner is planning to transfer). You don't think the former STA guys that play for ND will do the same thing Berry or Carter are doing?

Honestly, I just don't see that as an advantage for you guys. He grew up playing with probably about half our class this year. He knows tons on guys at FSU and UF and he got connections to ND too.

So I'm not really seeing how Berry or Carter make any difference in the equation.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeyJr09 View Post
      I just read the article.

Kinda iffy. Usually when a kid names a leader, it's a big article all about it.

This was literally 2 lines at the end of a page long article about Doc Holliday, DJ Johnson and Anquan Boldin.

And on top of that WVU is his only written offer. Miami, Rutgers and FIU are all verbal offers right now.

Too early and the info is too limited here to say what the kid is really thinking.
      thats how our 1st articles about recruits are; usually just a brief summary of a kid, etc

anyways, we are very thin at lb; brought in 2 this year

we have 11; 2 seniors, 3 juniors, 2 soph (1 is a walk-on), 2 fresh, 2 rs this year

it is one of the positions we will be recruiting the hardest this year

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Comment

• Cris and Duron Carter plus Jaamal Berry are more connections than anything Notre Dame has, at least I have read Joyner mentioning the Miami guys at Ohio State in articles and whatnot but haven't seen any of that about Notre Dame. Plus the kid named Ohio State in his top two and even his leader recently, and the most love he's given Notre Dame is putting them in his top 5 along with freakin' FIU I think. Having other Miami kids in the ear of current Miami recruits is big enough influence. I know for a fact that Joyner has said he'd "really want to play with Jaamal Berry next year in Columbus".

Comment

Cris and Duron Carter plus Jaamal Berry are more connections than anything Notre Dame has, at least I have read Joyner mentioning the Miami guys at Ohio State in articles and whatnot but haven't seen any of that about Notre Dame. Plus the kid named Ohio State in his top two and even his leader recently, and the most love he's given Notre Dame is putting them in his top 5 along with freakin' FIU I think. Having other Miami kids in the ear of current Miami recruits is big enough influence. I know for a fact that Joyner has said he'd "really want to play with Jaamal Berry next year in Columbus".
          -Jamal Berry is the only Miami kid. The rest are from a completely different county. See what I'm getting at that your missing.

-Just the other day on WQAM down here he said FSU and UF were his top 2.

-He has said already he wants to play with Chris Dunkley as well. Dunkley is gonna end up at either FSU or UF.

So what is so special about Berry or OSU that Joyner hasn't already said about all the other schools he has talked about? I'm not seeing it. You guys are drinking cool aid. Anything he has about OSU he has said about the other schools on his list as well. Yet OSU fans are the only ones getting all hyped over it.

Comment

• Originally posted by kwilk103 View Post
            thats how our 1st articles about recruits are; usually just a brief summary of a kid, etc

anyways, we are very thin at lb; brought in 2 this year

we have 11; 2 seniors, 3 juniors, 2 soph (1 is a walk-on), 2 fresh, 2 rs this year

it is one of the positions we will be recruiting the hardest this year
            It was 2 lines in an article about your coach and another recruit.

11 LBs is alot. That's enough for a 3 deep at each spot plus 2 RS. Maybe I'm missing something about your roster but it seems odd to me that you guys consider 11 LBs to be "thin".

Comment

• I'm comparing Ohio State and Notre Dame. He is clearly higher on Ohio State than any other OOS school from everything I have read and from everything his uncle and our insiders have said. After his visit in April he'll be even higher on us than before. It's an uphill battle with the Big 3 going at him hard, but it's not an unwinnable one, we are in very good shape with him now - not to discount the fact that it is almost a calendar year before he'll likely announce his decision.

Comment

I'm comparing Ohio State and Notre Dame. He is clearly higher on Ohio State than any other OOS school from everything I have read and from everything his uncle and our insiders have said. After his visit in April he'll be even higher on us than before. It's an uphill battle with the Big 3 going at him hard, but it's not an unwinnable one, we are in very good shape with him now - not to discount the fact that it is almost a calendar year before he'll likely announce his decision.
                Fair enough,

Just saying. This sounds like the same ole song and dance me and you had last year over Brandon McGee.

No one down here is really expecting LJ to leave the state.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeyJr09 View Post
                  It was 2 lines in an article about your coach and another recruit.

11 LBs is alot. That's enough for a 3 deep at each spot plus 2 RS. Maybe I'm missing something about your roster but it seems odd to me that you guys consider 11 LBs to be "thin".
                  yea, 11 seems like a lot, but a lot of the upper guys are average; 2 are walk-ons (1 earned a scholly this year after starting and 1 wont play); when you see them play, a lot of the back-ups werent very good

we just havent recruited the outside 'backers very well; 1 reason why reed williams might move back outside this season

its not as deep as it seems

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Comment

• Sounds like Gardner's coach didn't have the texting stamina for tOSU...well that and flat out telling the kid you're no #1 for us. LOL

"(Ohio State assistant) Coach Haynes texted (Inkster headman) Coach Carter today and told him that they were going after Nick Montana first, and that I was next. They said they wanted to see what happened with him first. Coach Carter was mad. He said he was too old to be doing all of that texting stuff anyway. So I've dropped Ohio State from my list."
                    "If nobody told you how good you were, how good would you be?"

Comment

• joey what can you tell me abou spencer boyd, mainly about cape corals competition level, looks really nice on film and almost commited to nd today, seems pretty much a lock but mainly how is cape corals competition.

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                      - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                      - Corner or Wideout in the first
                      - No reaching
                      - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

RichRod has ohio offer fever (aka zook-itis). Offered West Chester TE Alex Smith. He's a better tight end prospect than Kevin Koger was IMO which is saying something. He favors Cincinnati and Kentucky right now b/c of family ties to those two schools/areas, I think if/when Ohio State offers him that will be hard to turn down. OSU doesn't use the tight end much, but they are gonna sell the flex TE position to him that Jake Stoneburner is gonna play this year that is basically what Dallas Clark and Travis Beckum play and it'll be new to our offense. LaTwan Anderson and Alex Smith I think might be the next two Ohio guys to get offered...maybe Christian Bryant too.

How is it Zook-itis if a good portion of those Ohio kids never had official offers?

Comment

• Originally posted by wicket View Post
                          joey what can you tell me abou spencer boyd, mainly about cape corals competition level, looks really nice on film and almost commited to nd today, seems pretty much a lock but mainly how is cape corals competition.
                          big wvu fan; didnt get an offer at junior day, but is coming to our camp and will likely get an offer

family likes wvu (all from here); wont be surprised if he chooses us in the end

real good friends with jenkins and devine; uncle says 80% chance he committs to us

i like our chances

i dont know where you go the fact that he almost committed; if your referring to the rivals article, all i read is he was excited about the offer
                          Last edited by kwilk103; 02-16-2009, 07:10 PM.

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbenn View Post
                            How is it Zook-itis if a good portion of those Ohio kids never had official offers?
                            It's not like it's a bad thing to offer a bunch of Ohio guys early, Kiffin's doing it too at Tennessee. Eventually there's gonna be a guy like Jerald Robinson who tries to force us to offer earlier than we're prepared to and a team like Michigan can snag him by offering so early.

But Zook has offered more Ohio kids early than any other school. Even though some of those guys never did have offers (J.Ferrel for instance), a whole crap load of them did: Bud Golden, Fitz Toussaint, Marcus Hall, Jon Newsome, Melvin Fellows and most of the other big names just off the top of my head were offered really early last year. Already he's got offers out to 3 Lakota West kids plus at least a half dozen others I'm aware of. Ohio State has offered a grand total of 8 Ohio kids so far. You gotta recruit Ohio well to compete at a high level in the big ten, and a good way to do that is offer earlier than Ohio State is prepared to.

btw, I really wish Toussaint would've went to Illinois. He was one of my favorite recruits in Ohio last year and I won't like seeing him in those rags at TSUN :) plus now that I think about it the chances of Justin Green going to Illinois would've went down (though he probably would've went to Kentucky if he was scared away from Illinois).
                            Last edited by keylime_5; 02-16-2009, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by kwilk103 View Post
                              big wvu fan; didnt get an offer at junior day, but is coming to our camp and will likely get an offer

family likes wvu (all from here); wont be surprised if he chooses us in the end

real good friends with jenkins and devine; uncle says 80% chance he committs to us

i like our chances
                              his family actually wanted him to commit on the spot with the offer, he wants to see sb first before committing though, not saying you are out but I seriously love our chances

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                              - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                              - Corner or Wideout in the first
                              - No reaching
                              - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

• Originally posted by wicket View Post
                                his family actually wanted him to commit on the spot with the offer, he wants to see sb first before committing though, not saying you are out but I seriously love our chances
                                Cape Coral is pretty average as far as competition.

Would be a little better if he lived a half hour south in Naples.

But those areas do play each other a couple times a year so he should be getting enough of a test.

The recruits are usually really low ranked but they do put out D1 prospects every year.

09 Miami commit 2* TE/OT Stephen Plein is from Naples. 08 Miami FB and former 2* John Calhoun is from Cape Coral IIRC. I think the highest ranked guy from that area is 09 UF commit and 4* OG Nick Alajijian.

Miami has been getting under the radar guys from there lately and by all account they seem to do well enough (although it is very early for them). Those guys tend to be underrated because that part of FL isn't really considered a recruiting hotbed.

On a side note. Why is WVU suddenly all over every prospect in FL this year? They usually come after more FL guys then most but this year they are after all of them. Not to worried about them taking anyone Miami really wants but been noticing that and wondered where it came from.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information