Announcement

Collapse

***Recruiting Forum Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING***

The recruiting forum has gotten out of hand and we need to fix this right now. I admit that I myself may have slipped up in the past, but not anymore. The recruiting forum is not exempt from the rules for the rest of the forums. This is not a new rule, just a clarification of an existing one.

Links:

No factual information can be posted without a link to the source of that information. This means any time a player commits to a school, names a leader, drops a school from his list, etc. you must provide a link with your post. If you do not have a valid link supporting your information then keep it to yourself. Obviously, you don't need to link to your own personal opinions. Just make it clear that they are your opinions.

Acceptable Sources:

Most online newspapers and websites are acceptable. No premium information (info that you pay for) is to be posted. The only exception to that rule is if the information you are posting is in the header of a premium article, which is free for all to read. If the information is hidden behind the words "click here to subscribe," then don't even bother. Websites such as Buckeye Planet, IrishEvy, and MGoBlog are acceptable. However, only information from the articles/interviews/blog posts from these sites are permissible. Any information obtain on one of these sites' message boards should be assumed to be unreliable (even if you yourself trust it). Anything posted on Facebook is private information and should be treated that way.

Disciplinary Action:

Since this is a fresh reminder, everyone gets one freebie. The first time you break this rule, you will have your post deleted and that is it. If you break it a second time, your post will be deleted and you will get a warning. If you ignore the warning and break it a third time, you will receive an infraction.

Remember, these are Scott Wright's rules not mine. We want everyone to still have fun, but we can't keep ignoring the rules of the website.
See more
See less

The 2010 Recruiting Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wicket View Post
    his family actually wanted him to commit on the spot with the offer, he wants to see sb first before committing though, not saying you are out but I seriously love our chances
    as do i...hes gonna be back up in april for spring game (pretty sure) and then again in june for camp (positive)

he had a great time 2 weeks ago when he was here

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeyJr09 View Post
      On a side note. Why is WVU suddenly all over every prospect in FL this year? They usually come after more FL guys then most but this year they are after all of them. Not to worried about them taking anyone Miami really wants but been noticing that and wondered where it came from.
      They realized that recruiting Virginia was a lost cause so they focused their efforts further southward.
      Drink apple juice, cause OJ will kill you.

Comment

On a side note. Why is WVU suddenly all over every prospect in FL this year? They usually come after more FL guys then most but this year they are after all of them. Not to worried about them taking anyone Miami really wants but been noticing that and wondered where it came from.
        doc holliday

back in the 80s, don nehlen literally gave him a car and gas money and told him to go recruit florida; hes been recruiting fla for over 20 years, and knows everyone there; hes our best recruiter, and we've had success there

hes the reason we are back in dade county (there was a coach that didnt play antonio brown his senior year and we were alienated there)

we have 25 players from fla on our roster

we moved our recruiter area to fit our coaches; moving away from pa except for linemen and guys like rb corey brown who are interested in us

going to ga with dave johnson who recruited there for 7 yrs with uga; the carolinas where lonnie galloway recruited for app st; dc/md/va with beatty

and back into nj with david lockwood who is from philly

but fla is our main recruiting ground now

forgot to add we finished up real early this year recruiting, so we got a head start on '10
        Last edited by kwilk103; 02-16-2009, 06:43 PM.

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokie_Pokie08 View Post
          They realized that recruiting Virginia was a lost cause so they focused their efforts further southward.
          not sure where you're getting that; md/va/dc is our #2 recruiting area

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Comment

• Maybe he's basing it on the fact that Heastie, Davenport & Alston were the only top 30 VA players yall landed. But we both now that WVU recruits VA quite well.

#4 Duke Blue Devils (4-1)
            2010 & 2015 National Champions!!!
            2015 2K Classic Champions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cESr9VWpZc0
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs

Comment

• Originally posted by JRTPlaya21 View Post
              Maybe he's basing it on the fact that Heastie was the only top 30 VA player yall landed. But we both now that WVU recruits VA quite well.
              davenport fits our system, and alston is pretty underrated

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by kwilk103 View Post
                forgot to add we finished up real early this year recruiting, so we got a head start on '10
                Like when you stopped recruiting Michael Carter after he gave a verbal.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• I see. My bad I had to edit them back in after I saw the list. WVU is a much bigger recruiting threat imo then UVA or anywhere else.

#4 Duke Blue Devils (4-1)
                  2010 & 2015 National Champions!!!
                  2015 2K Classic Champions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cESr9VWpZc0
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs

Comment

not sure where you're getting that; md/va/dc is our #2 recruiting area
                    Just a fun ribbing after you thought that WVU was going to own Virginia recruiting-wise early last season and it didn't happen.
                    Drink apple juice, cause OJ will kill you.

Comment

• Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                      It's not like it's a bad thing to offer a bunch of Ohio guys early, Kiffin's doing it too at Tennessee. Eventually there's gonna be a guy like Jerald Robinson who tries to force us to offer earlier than we're prepared to and a team like Michigan can snag him by offering so early.

But Zook has offered more Ohio kids early than any other school. Even though some of those guys never did have offers (J.Ferrel for instance), a whole crap load of them did: Bud Golden, Fitz Toussaint, Marcus Hall, Jon Newsome, Melvin Fellows and most of the other big names just off the top of my head were offered really early last year. Already he's got offers out to 3 Lakota West kids plus at least a half dozen others I'm aware of. Ohio State has offered a grand total of 8 Ohio kids so far. You gotta recruit Ohio well to compete at a high level in the big ten, and a good way to do that is offer earlier than Ohio State is prepared to.

btw, I really wish Toussaint would've went to Illinois. He was one of my favorite recruits in Ohio last year and I won't like seeing him in those rags at TSUN :) plus now that I think about it the chances of Justin Green going to Illinois would've went down (though he probably would've went to Kentucky if he was scared away from Illinois).

I'm not saying there's anything wrong to it but you guys were way off base last year. Jonathan Newsome didn't have an official offer early, and maybe even never depending on who you talked to, and there were a host of others who didn't have official offers after talking to some people. Not saying Newsome or some of those guys wouldn't have went to OSU anyway, I'm just saying. And Toussaint would've went to Illinois is Michigan didn't scoop in and take him but I'm perfectly fine with Justin Green.:) His speed at RB in the spread gives Illinois even more firepower. When you have 3 playmakers with the speed of Fayson, Jenkins, Green, Jack Ramsey, and Hawthorne at WR, plus guys like Benn, Scott, and Cumberland (No slight to them but I put the speed guys first), that O is going to score a lot of points.

BTW, congrats to OSU on that huge class. There are some real difference makers in there. I do wonder, though, what would've happened if Wolford would've stayed at Illinois. I had no idea the impact he had on Hall and his family.

Florida guys, what kind of a player is Derek Owens. Apparently Illinois has a great shot at him per an insider.
                      Last edited by bigbenn; 02-16-2009, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Doc Holiday, AKA Snake Eyes. He is one shady mofo, think Chuck Amato plus a dozen years of selling used cars. Here is a funny story of him when he was with UF -

"I spent the day at Miami Northwestern today and saw Florida assistant Doc Holiday, who came in to speak with Marcus Forston and Sean Spence. He had them to himself in Billy Rolle’s office for 10 minutes. When he left, Forston and Spence were giggling. I asked them what he said. Forston’s response was classic: “Snake eyes (Holliday's nickname)? He told me the same bull crap everybody else is trying to tell else. How we can start if we go to their school. How they’re doing so much better than UM. The facilities. Sean Taylor. Safety. The usual crap. I told him the same thing I told Butch Davis and North Carolina, if I can stay clear of trouble in the Pork N Beans projects, why the hell am I going to be scared to live in Coral Gables?”"

I love that story.

As a side note, Southwest Florida has also been very good to Ohio State over the years, as there are a ton of Buckeyes in that area.

Comment

• doc is a top 5 recruiter

one of amato's 1st hires at ncstate, and 1 of urbans 1st hires at uf

one of stews 1st hires, and our highest paid assistant

urban tried to get him back this year

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Comment

doc is a top 5 recruiter
                            I didn't say otherwise...

Comment

we moved our recruiter area to fit our coaches; moving away from pa except for linemen and guys like rb corey brown who are interested in us

Can you elaborate on this? Lockwood handles East PA and South Jersey I thought. I assume you have a guy for West PA, so how is WVU moving away from PA?

Comment

doc holliday

back in the 80s, don nehlen literally gave him a car and gas money and told him to go recruit florida; hes been recruiting fla for over 20 years, and knows everyone there; hes our best recruiter, and we've had success there

hes the reason we are back in dade county (there was a coach that didnt play antonio brown his senior year and we were alienated there)

we have 25 players from fla on our roster

going to ga with dave johnson who recruited there for 7 yrs with uga; the carolinas where lonnie galloway recruited for app st; dc/md/va with beatty

but fla is our main recruiting ground now

Who have you gotten from Dade County? People tend to forget that South Florida and Dade County are 2 different things.

Only recent one I can think of is Hargrett who was a backup RB at MNW.

I know about Doc Holliday also. But this year you are offering everyone in sight as opposed to most years where you just poach the guys that don't have grades.

The only real marquee guy I can think of that you got was Gene Smith and QB recruitments are usually outside the scope of normal recruitments.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information