BF51 Mock Version 4.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF51 Mock Version 4.0

I decided not to wait this time as the Colts-Jaguars game won't have a huge impact on draft picks anyway.

I did a little bit of trading here just to keep it honest. The order is once again based off of my own particular formula. I've been told by a few people that they really like the order so feel free to use it for your mocks as well.

1)Miami Dolphins- Glenn Dorsey- Defensive Tackle, Louisiana State University
    - I've re-changed my mind. The Dolphins are reportedly going to have a fire sale this offseason with guys like Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas very possibly on the way out. This says to me that anything is possible and that they will be looking for young players to build around. Long is a very good prospect but he doesn't grade out to an elite LT. QB is an option but not likely considering they passed on Quinn and ended up with Beck. Dorsey is the best defensive prospect in this draft and should be the pick here.

2)St.Louis Rams- Jake Long- Offensive Tackle, Michigan
    -There is a lot wrong with the Rams, but offensive line looks to be the worst of it all. Their offense is a shell of what it used to be and to fix it they should look up front first.

3)Atlanta Falcons- Darren McFadden- Runningback, Arkansas
    -I'm not sure that Petrino would make this pick, but he should strongly consider it. Norwood is a good player, but it doesn't look like they view him as a feature runner for whatever reason. Warrick Dunn is done (no pun intended) and while there are some good quarterbacks in the draft, likely none deserve top 3 money. McFadden should be a mortal lock for the top 3 along with Dorsey.

4)New York Jets- Chris Long- Defensive End, Virginia
    -Those that question this pick likely haven't been paying attention this year. Long is one of the few players that came out seemingly overhyped and has actually lived beyond his hype. He has a tremendous moter, good strength, had 10 sacks played 3-4 DE, and despite his size seems to have the attitude to be able to do all that is asked of him. He seems like a top 10 lock at this point, and top 5 isn't out of the question.

5)Buffalo Bills- Desean Jackson- Wide Reciever, California
    -The defense for the Bills has been solid, despite suffering heavy injuries. The offense? Eh...not so much. I'm not sure Trent Edwards is the answer, but it doesn't matter what I think. Odds are that Marv and Dick are back and I don't think they'll pull the plug on him. Because of that I think they give him a speed option on the other side of Lee Evans and give this offense a whole new dimension.

6)Oakland Raiders-Calais Campbell, Defensive End, Miami
    -Campbell has been a bit of a letdown this year, but he's still an absolutely imposing force on defense. The Raiders went heavy on offense last year and it may have been at the expense of their defense. Their D-line needs help, and it starts here.

7)New England Patriots (f/SF)- James Laurinaitis- Inside Linebacker, OSU
    -Can you imagine how fortunate the Pats would be to win the Superbowl and get a top 10 pick? It could definately happen. "The Animal" isn't quite the prospect A.J Hawk was when he came out, but it's close.

8)Houston Texans- Kenny Phillips- Safety, Miami
    -The O-line is still not stellar, but it's been adequate so far this year. The secondary, however, has been dreadful and torn apart by injuries. Even when healthy they're nothing special and Phillips would bring an immediate presence to this defense.

9)Cincinnatti Bengals- Derrick Harvey- Defensive End, Florida
    -The Bengals have struggled to find someone opposite of Justin Smith, and even Smith has been a dissapointment so far this season.

10)Minnesota Vikings- Andre Woodson- Quarterback, Kentucky
    -There are already rumors that the Vikings will be looking for a change at Quarterback next season and it's no suprise. If they had an even adequate guy behind center they'd be in serious contention for a playoff spot.

11)Denver Broncos- Sedrick Ellis- Defensive Tackle, USC
    -I had them taking Ellis at #7 so there's no change here. It was a good win against the Steelers but their run defense is still terrible.

Philadelphia trades the 12th pick in the 2008 draft to the Carolina Panthers for the 19th pick and the 51st pick in the 2008 draft
    12)Carolina Panthers- Matt Ryan, Boston College
    -This is a trade that makes sense for both teams, the Bears are all but sure to take Ryan at 14 and the Panthers should strongly consider what they need to do to secure their QB of the future. Delhomme is going to be 33 next year and coming off of a season ending injury. It's a little steep of a price to move up 7 spots, but franchise quarterbacks don't come along every day.

13)Dallas Cowboys (f/Cle)- Malcolm Jenkins- Cornerback, Ohio State
    -Jenkins is the best corner in the draft and could immediately challenge Anthony Henry for the spot opposite Newman.

14)Chicago Bears- Sam Baker- Offensive Tackle, USC
    - Brian Griese has been playing very well so far. The offensive line, not so much. It seems more than likely that the Bears would not trade up to get a QB and while Brohm is a possibility I see Angelo playing it safer and looking for the left tackle of the future.

The New Orleans Saints trade the 15th pick in the 2008 draft to the Atlanta Falcons for the 35th pick and the 40th pick in the 2008 draft
    -Would the Saints make a draft day trade with the Falcons? Well the Eagles did with the Cowboys last year and I think the temptation to trade down and acquire more picks would be too tempting for a team with lots of needs on defense.
    15)Atlanta Falcons- Brian Brohm- Quarterback, Louisville
    -The Falcons could not play this better. Granted this still leaves a lot of holes but gives them tons of weapons and young talent on offense. It's going to be a mutli-year building project in Atlanta either way, but this gives them two young stars to build around and get people re-intersted in the Falcons again. The Falcons have to trade up here with the Bucs and Ravens lurking.

16)Detroit Lions- Justin King- Cornerback, Penn State
    -You can basically take any of the back seven positions and they would be a possibility for the Lions. If King runs the 4.2 forty that some people are expecting he could go much higher. The Lions don't really run a traditional Tampa 2 anyway, and could use a corner that can actually play some man.

17)Arizona Cardinals- Vernon Gholston- Defensive End/OLB, Ohio State
    -Tyson Jackson is having something of a dissapointing season so far so I think he stays. Gholtston, on the other hand, would probably be best served to come out now. This gives them another tool to switch to the 3-4.

18)Kansas City Chiefs- Ryan Clady- Offensive Tackle, Boise State
    -Damion McIntosh has been having an "ok" season so far, but nothing too spectacular, and his current play is probably about the best as can be expected so far. Once again I want to take this time to point out that I had the Chiefs as a .500 team when everyone else had them picking in the top 5.

19)Philadelphia Eagles (f/Car)- Gosder Cherlius- Offensive Tackle, Boston College
    -Malcolm Kelley gets some consideration here but even if Winston Justice turns out well, both of the Eagles offensive tackles are getting up there in age. Is the difference between Baker and Cherlius worth a 2nd rounder? I'm not sure, but it's worth considering.

20)Tennessee Titans- Malcolm Kelley- Wide Reciever, Oklahoma
    -This would be a great fit and value for the Titans. Vince Young needs some real wide recievers.

21)Tampa Bay Bucs- Early Doucett- Wide Reciever, LSU
    -The Bucs miss out on trading up for a QB, but that's probably not a big deal for Chucky as he likes to deal with vet QB's anyway. Doucett would give them a nice target to work with and help offset the inevitable decline of Galloway (assuming that ever happens of course)

22)Washington Redskins- Adarius Bowman- Wide Reciever, Oklahoma State
    -I'll keep giving this pick cause it makes too much damn sense not to quite frankly.

23)Baltimore Ravens- Michael Oher- Offensive Tackle, Ole Miss
    -I think the Ravens would love to trade up for Matt Ryan, but don't have the ammo that Carolina does. The consolation here is a good OT to help out a rather mediocre line. The benefit of Oher is that he can play inside at first and contribute right away if need be.

24)Seattle Seahawks- Steve Slaton- Runningback, West Virginia
    -The Seahawks are a confusing team. They don't have any glaring holes but still seem to play mediocre football the past year and a half. One thing that is clear is that Shaun Alexander isn't what he used to be. He even struggled against a team like Rams. At the very least Slaton can be a change of pace back.

The San Diego Chargers trade the 25th pick in the 2008 NFL draft to the New Orleans Saints for the 35th and 79th pick in the 2008 NFL Draft
    25)New Orleans Saints- Dan Conner- Linebacker, Penn State
    -I would be shocked if the Chargers don't at least try to trade back now that they have no other picks on the first day. The Saints, on the other hand, move back into the 1st to get the player they probably would have taken at #15 and pick up an extra 2nd in the end.

26)New York Giants- Keith Rivers- Linebacker, USC
    -Cornerback is a possibility here but the value is better at linebacker. Giants are playing much better but still need another playmaker to put next to Pierce.

Jacksonville trades the 27th and 91st picks to the Buffalo Bills for the 37th and 69th pick and a 4th pick in the 2009 NFL Draft
    27)Buffalo Bills (f/Jac)- Reggie Smith- S/CB, Oklahoma
    -Whether it's at FS next to Donte Whitner or at cornerback, the Bills could use some secondary help and Smith would be great value here. Jacksonville doesn't have any pressing needs and thus trades back.

28)Pittsburgh Steelers- Quentin Groves- DE/OLB
    -The Steelers don't have any glaring needs. O-Line is a question but there's not much value here. Groves gives them another outside pass presence and is good value here.

29)Green Bay Packers- Felix Jones- Runningback, Arkansas
    -Cornerback is a possibility here, but the Packers have gone heavily defensively and need to balance that out at some point. The Aaron Rodgers era will begin sooner rather than later and they're going to need a strong running game to compliment him. Jones is underlooked because he plays 2nd fiddle to McFadden, but is a 1st round prospect in his own right. I expect him to jump ship from the Razorbacks program, have a great combine, and push for the 1st round.

30)San Francisco 49'ers (f/Ind)- Earl Bennett- Wide Reciever, Vanderbilt
    -I wish I could say I was suprised at the Niners mediocre performance so far. They have some young talent but not enough pieces to make a run. It really comes down to Alex Smith, who the jury is still out on. If they want to have success, however, they're going to need more weapons.

The Dallas Cowboys trade the 31st pick in the 2008 draft to the Arizona Cardinals for the 49th pick and the 81st pick in the 2008 draft
    31)Arizona Cardinals-Mike Jenkins- Cornerback, South Florida
    -There's really no great value here for the Cowboys, and I can see Arizona trading up. They got a guy for their front seven in Gholston, now they've got a guy for their secondary in Jenkins.

2nd round
    33)Miami- Tony Hills- OT, Texas
    34)St. Louis-Fili Moala- DT, USC
    35)San Diego (f/NO, f/Atl)- Ray Maualuga- ILB, USC
    36)New York Jets- Aqib Talib- CB, Kansas
    37)Jacksonville (f/Buffalo)- Barry Richardson- OT, Clemson
    Oakland trades the 38th pick to Cleveland for the 45th pick and the 109th pick
    38)Cleveland (f/Oak)- Jonathan Stewart- RB, Oregon
    39)San Fran- Terrell Thomas- CB, USC
    40)New Orleans (f/Atl, f/Hou)- Antoine Cason- CB, Arizona
    41)Cincinnatti- Dre Moore- DT, Maryland
    42)Minnesota- Limas Sweed- WR, Texas
    43)Denver- Ali Highsmith- OLB, LSU
    44)Philadelphia- Keenan Burton- WR, Kentucky
    45)Oakland (f/Cle)- Heath Benedict- OT, Newberry
    46)Chicago- Erik Ainge- QB, Tennessee
    47)New Orleans- DeMarrio Pressley- DT, North Carolina State
    48)Detroit- Phillip Wheeler- ILB, Georgia Tech
    49)Dallas (f/Ari)- Harry Douglass- WR, Louisville
    50)Kansas City- DeJuan Tribble- CB, Boston College
    51)Philadelphia (f/Car)- Xavier Adibi- OLB, Virginia Tech
    52)Tenneseee- Dwight Lowry- CB, San Diego State
    53)Tampa Bay- Tashard Choice- RB, Georgia Tech
    54)Washington- Lawrence Jackson- DE, USC
    55)Baltimore- Shawn Crable- DE/OLB, Michigan
    56)Seattle- Fred Davis- TE, USC
    57)Miami (f/SD)- D.J Hall- WR, Alabama
    58)New York Giants- Tracy Porter- CB, Indiana
    59)Jacksonville- Bruce Davis- DE, UCLA
    60)Pittsburgh- Chris Williams- OT, Vanderbilt
    61)Green Bay- Chevis Jackson- CB, LSU
    62)Indianapolis- Jonathan Goff- ILB, Vanderbilt
    63)Dallas- Frank Okam- NT, Texas
    64)New England- Mike Hart- RB, Michigan

3rd Round
    65)Miami- Jasper Brinkley- ILB, South Carolina
    66)St.Louis- Josh Barrett- SS, Arizona State
    67)Atlanta- Kirk Barton- OT, Ohio State
    68)New York Jets- John Carlson- TE, Notre Dame
    69)Jacksonville (f/Buf)- Chad Henne- QB, Michigan
    70)New England (f/Oak)- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State
    71)San Fran- Jonathan Hefney- FS, Tennessee
    72)Houston- Dontrell Savage- RB, Oklahoma State
    73)Cincinnattti- Vince Hall- LB, Virginia Tech
    74)Minnesota- Mike McGlynn- OT, Pittsburgh
    75)Minnesota (f/Den)- Thomas Decoud- FS, California
    76)Philadelphia- Craig Steltz- SS, LSU
    77)Cleveland- Red Bryant- NT, Texas A&M
    78)Chicago- Quentin Demps- S, UTEP
    79)San Diego (f/NO)- Chris Johnson- RB, East Carolina
    80)Detroit- Marcus Griffin- S, Texas
    81)Dallas (f/Ari)- Eric Young- G, Tennessee
    82)Kansas City- Andre Fluellen- DT, Florida State
    83)Carolina- Kenny Iwebema- DE, Iowa
    84)Tennesee- Steve Justice- C, Wake Forest
    85)Tampa Bay- Colt Brennan- QB, Hawaii
    86)Washington- Roy Schuening- G, Oregon State
    87)Buffalo (f/Bal)- Chris Ellis- DE, Virginia Tech
    88)Seattle-Andre Caldwell- WR, Florida
    89)Chicago (f/SD)- Shannon Tevaga- G, UCLA
    90)New York Giants- William Franklin- WR, Missouri
    91)Buffalo (f/Jac)- Ezra Butler- OLB, Nevada
    92)Pittsburgh- Donnie Avery- WR, Houston
    93)Green Bay- Martin Rucker- TE, Missouri
    94)Indianapolis- Dorien Bryant- WR, Purdue
    95)Dallas- Ryan Torrian- RB, Arizona State
    96)New England- Beau Bell- ILB, UNLV
    Last edited by bearsfan_51; 10-22-2007, 12:10 PM.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

I think it's a pretty good overall draft.

I really, really like the Saints draft. Good job.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
    WHO DAT!

Comment

Good call on where the Chiefs'll be (i.e. not in the top five, as I have pointed out all year long which you also seem to see, unlike most).

As for the draft itself, it's okay. OT/WR/CB drills needs, although I would prefer a combination of a two OL and a WR/CB. I'm not huge on Caldwell, but whatever.

Comment

I don't agree with anything you did for the Panthers. I may could see the trade in the 1st, but given that they should worry about OT before worrying about QB of the future since both of the starting OT's are free agents after this season, I definitely don't like the trade. Especially since they could stand pat at their original pick and get an OT.

In the 3rd, no need for a DE. McClover is progressing nicely and we spent a 3rd last year on Charles Johnson. S would be a position to look at there. Another possibility could be WR with both Carter & Colbert being FA's after this season as well.

Best scenario for the Panthers with how your board plays out...

1st- stay at original pick and take Michael Oher
        2nd- Thomas DeCoud
        3rd- Colt Brennan

Comment

1)Miami Dolphins- Glenn Dorsey- Defensive Tackle, Louisiana State University
          - I've re-changed my mind. The Dolphins are reportedly going to have a fire sale this offseason with guys like Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas very possibly on the way out. This says to me that anything is possible and that they will be looking for young players to build around. Long is a very good prospect but he doesn't grade out to an elite LT. QB is an option but not likely considering they passed on Quinn and ended up with Beck. Dorsey is the best defensive prospect in this draft and should be the pick here.

If we don’t trade back (my personal hope), this is a very good pick for us.

33)Miami- Tony Hills- OT, Texas

He is a little small for our system I think honestly. Ray Maualuga, ILB would be a nice pick up there to replace Zach. Else Barry Richardson would be a nice pick up

57)Miami (f/SD)- D.J Hall- WR, Alabama

I would personally consider Williams (if didn’t take a tackle already), Goff, Jackson CB there strongly

65)Miami- Jasper Brinkley- ILB, South Carolina

Not a huge Brinkley fan I would take Red Bryant over him as we need a nose tackle to stop the run.

1 Dorsey (or trade) DE/DT
          2 Maualuga ILB
          2 Williams RT
          3 Bryant NT

I like that draft personally, WR is a much lesser need as they are very high upon Ginn and Hagan supposedly.

Comment

Nice Vikings pick in the first round. Not too sure about the second round pick. Eventually we need to quit trying to stockpile these young and inexperienced wide recievers.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

I like the Raider picks.But we traded our 3rd round pick to NE.
              "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Good picks for the Pats. But I think they have Raiders 3rd round pick too.

New England traded their third-round selection (91st overall, used to select Mario Henderson) in exchange for Oakland's first seventh-round selection in this year's draft (211th overall, used to select Oscar Lua) and their third-round selection in the 2008 NFL Draft.

Thanks to BoneKrusher

Comment

Only gripe with the giants' draft is zibby in the third. We need safeties who can cover, either in man on the te or the deep middle. Gibril already gives us a guy who can't cover but is good around the line.

Comment

love the cardinals draft

Comment

Love Kelly in the 1st. Just makes alot of sense to go that direction, in my view anyways.

2nd round I can live with. As far as DB's go, though, what we really need is a FS with some range and ball skills. Not too crazy about this years safety class though.

3rd rounder seems decent as well, but doesn't really seem like our style. We'll have to see what happens with Jacob Bell, he's gonna want a decent sized contract. Olson is getting old and is probably done very very soon. Though one of our beat writers says the coaches intend to start 4th rounder LeRoy Harris at G next year if Olson is gone. We'll see.

I think a guy like Martin Rucker would make alot of sense in the 3rd. Ben Troupe is a mental bust, Bo Scaife is a nice player but seems better suited as a complementary guy, and Ben Hartsock is as slow footed as Kerry Collins.

Comment

Originally posted by JPF View Post
                        I don't agree with anything you did for the Panthers. I may could see the trade in the 1st, but given that they should worry about OT before worrying about QB of the future since both of the starting OT's are free agents after this season, I definitely don't like the trade. Especially since they could stand pat at their original pick and get an OT.

In the 3rd, no need for a DE. McClover is progressing nicely and we spent a 3rd last year on Charles Johnson. S would be a position to look at there. Another possibility could be WR with both Carter & Colbert being FA's after this season as well.

Best scenario for the Panthers with how your board plays out...

1st- stay at original pick and take Michael Oher
                        2nd- Thomas DeCoud
                        3rd- Colt Brennan
                        This is under the assumption that John Fox is fired, which I think he will be if they don't make the playoffs.

A new coach is going to want a QB to build around first and foremost IMO.

As for the DE, I'm not sure how 1 career tackle is "progressing nicely". The Panthers have NO pass rush off the edge, so I would think that if Johnson or McClover were guys the Panthers were confident in they would let them play more as Mike Rucker is all but done.

Comment

Originally posted by osi+ap=allshallperish View Post
                          Only gripe with the giants' draft is zibby in the third. We need safeties who can cover, either in man on the te or the deep middle. Gibril already gives us a guy who can't cover but is good around the line.
                          I agree. Marcus Griffin is someone who I find a tad underrated and think would fit better in the Giants scheme than Zib.

Originally posted by Halsey
                          I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                            This is under the assumption that John Fox is fired, which I think he will be if they don't make the playoffs.

A new coach is going to want a QB to build around first and foremost IMO.

As for the DE, I'm not sure how 1 career tackle is "progressing nicely". The Panthers have NO pass rush off the edge, so I would think that if Johnson or McClover were guys the Panthers were confident in they would let them play more as Mike Rucker is all but done.
                            Yea, all first year coaches draft QBs in the first round, oh wait...

However, I do agree if we don't make the playoffs that Fox may be gone, th

ough he does have the nice excuse of his starting QB getting hurt to fall back on. I also don't think it's a guarantee that we miss the playoffs at this point. We're in first place in our division (though only by a half game) over a Tampa team that's not exactly impressive themselves.

As for your point about Rucker & our lack of a pass rush, personally I agree. However Fox is criticized among Panther fans for sticking with past their prime or non-producing veterans simply because they're veterans. Stephen Davis, Kris Mangum, etc.. This is why McClover doesn't have more than his 'one tackle'. But I'm sure you watch Panther games and know this and aren't basing it simply on stats you had to look up to find out how many tackles he had.

I really can't see how you can argue that we need a QB more than we would a starting tackle. Delhomme will be back next year & we're all but guaranteed that we won't be able to re-sign both of our starting tackles. Especially when a waiver wire pick-up is the only other tackle on our roster.

I can see us drafting a QB on the first day, just not in the first round.
                            Last edited by JPF; 10-22-2007, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JPF View Post
                              Yea, all first year coaches draft QBs in the first round, oh wait...

However, I do agree if we don't make the playoffs that Fox may be gone, th

ough he does have the nice excuse of his starting QB getting hurt to fall back on. I also don't think it's a guarantee that we miss the playoffs at this point. We're in first place in our division (though only by a half game) over a Tampa team that's not exactly impressive themselves.

As for your point about Rucker & our lack of a pass rush, personally I agree. However Fox is criticized among Panther fans for sticking with past their prime or non-producing veterans simply because they're veterans. Stephen Davis, Kris Mangum, etc.. This is why McClover doesn't have more than his 'one tackle'. But I'm sure you watch Panther games and know this and aren't basing it simply on stats you had to look up to find out how many tackles he had.

I really can't see how you can argue that we need a QB more than we would a starting tackle. Delhomme will be back next year & we're all but guaranteed that we won't be able to re-sign both of our starting tackles. Especially when a waiver wire pick-up is the only other tackle on our roster.

I can see us drafting a QB on the first day, just not in the first round.
                              You go ahead and make an argument that a player that has one career tackle is progressing nicely. I would love to hear it.

I don't need to watch every Panthers game to know that, what would I be watching? How well he drinks water on the sideline? How well he doesn't contribute anything to the game?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information