A day 1 take

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A day 1 take

I went through the schedules and did some loose projections to come up with this order. That said, as always, I fully note that things could change in a week. Who really though St. Louis would win this week against what looked to be a resurgent New Orleans squad? This draft should look somewhat different. This will be far shorter than my usual. I imagine one of the big questions will be who I considered. Too lazy to think 2nd round trades for now. I’ll go through this again sometime midweek.

1. New York Jets

I may hear it from Jets fans on this, but their remaining schedule looks brutal in regards to their chances of winning a game. Add in a young QB working out his kinks, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they finish up here. So what do they do? I think one of the difficulties in picking first overall this year is that I see very few teams that seem likely to sell out to move to the top spot. While I am perfectly capable in envisioning interdivision trades … I don’t see Miami and the Jets doing something this high in the draft. At the end of the day, I make a pick. Like the Dolphins, it really isn’t a superb year for the Jets to be picking first overall. I think the best available talent this year is Darren McFadden, and that’s the route I think they go. McFadden would need a poor time to drop. McFadden has some similar concerns with Peterson, but I think he’ll benefit from Peterson’s production, as teams may decide that having his explosive talents for 3-5 years may be worth it, considering the lifespan of coaches and the lifespan of running backs anyways. Furthermore, if you have a running back that can help ease the load early on in McFadden’s career, it could be a big help. Thomas Jones can do that for McFadden for a couple more years, and a Jones/McFadden combination, along with Washington, may be the best thing for Kellen Clemens.

New York Jets pick: RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas

2. Miami Dolphins

One interesting school of thought that someone floated is that they are purposefully not playing John Beck yet so that they won’t have to draft a QB in the first. That way, there’s no chance of Beck failing bad enough to warrant definitively moving on. Hopefully that’s not the case, as that’d be a very warped thought process, and I don’t think they should draft a QB anyways. At some point, though, they will have to turn it over to Beck.

I have no idea why, but I have the feeling that the Fins will pull off a win, if not two, this year. There really isn’t any great reasoning behind this. Just a gut feeling. What do they do here? Well … McFadden’s off the board. There goes the one pick that I think actually makes sense for them this high in the draft, despite what the Fins fans have said so far. But it’s gone. Is there a team that trades up? I’m not sold. Who’s going to sell out here when they could deal up to 3, as I think the Patriots will look to move down as well? There would have to be someone that a team falls in love with, and it’s too early in the process to figure that out.

I’m making a pick here, and I don’t particularly like any of the options available. I’ll probably hear it from Dolphins fans again. To be honest, at the beginning of the year I wasn’t sold that he would be a top 10 pick. But I’ve slowly come around to it, and I think Malcolm Jenkins could establish himself as a top 5 value at the end of the day. With Jason Allen moved back to safety, Jenkins could be the stud CB they need, perhaps giving Capers a Woodson/Lake type tandem.

Miami Dolphins pick: CB Malcolm Jenkins, the Ohio State

3. New England Patriots f/ San Francisco 49ers

I might hear it from 49ers fans as well on this. I just have a feeling that the Rams will make a tiny push the 2nd half of the year and win another game or 2. The 49ers just lack the talent or consistency right now. Mike Nolan’s definitely on the hot seat. That said, this isn’t their pick anyways. The Patriots would get the last laugh at everyone if they finish with a top 5 pick (heck, I was doing random scenarios and I could see the Patriots end up with the first overall) and win the whole enchilada. I don’t expect the Patriots to stay put here, as there isn’t really a need for them that demands a move. If the first two picks go McFadden/Jenkins, there will be plenty of teams that look to move up here, with some enticing talents available. Who? I’m guessing Raiders for now.

Projected Trade:

Oakland Raiders get the 3rd overall pick
    New England Patriots get the 5th overall, the Raiders 2008 4th rounder, and the Raiders 2009 2nd rounder and 3rd rounders

* - Paranoid reminded me that the Pats already owned the Raiders 3rd this year, so I had to adjust the trade, as I wasn't going to revamp this for now. So yes, a convoluted scenario to make value meet that likely wouldn't occur.

I think the Patriots would be amenable to a variety of packages, and they wouldn’t necessarily need a 2nd rounder. Just a guess, though. I think the Raiders may be tempted to jump the Rams to snare someone. While I think I would go offense, I can see them deciding to wait on offensive line and WR/RB value is probably better a bit later on. So the nod here goes defense. While the better pick for their needs is probably Glenn Dorsey, I think they go Chris Long here. I’ve long felt Long was better suited as a 4-3 end (and slimming down a bit in the process. He can make a decent 3-4 end, perhaps somewhere between Jarvis Green and Ty Warren, but I think he could be a dominant 4-3 end. I was tempted to move Oakland up in the overall, since the Russell era is likely to start soon. But then again, I thought to myself … what do they really lose going from McCown to Russell? Chris Long has worked his way to be a deserving top 10 pick and probable top 5 value, and I think Al Davis would love to have Chris follow in pops footsteps. It is an area the Raiders could use an upgrade in as well. I think the Rams potential to take a DL talent may convince them to be bold.

Oakland Raiders pick: DE Chris Long, Virginia

4. St. Louis Rams

This team really should never have been this bad, and I think they might go on a little “surge” (relatively speaking of course) in the 2nd half after this win. Of course, they could go ahead and tank as well, so who knows, but the fact that this team came out firing serves to show a tiny bit that Linehan hasn’t completely lost his team. Will it be enough to save his job? I doubt it. What do they do here? Is there a team that would push up? Atlanta comes to mind … but do they need Glenn Dorsey that bad to move up here? I guess if there’s a QB they fall in love with, they could consider it (but then again, they could just swap with New England to jump Minnesota). They could use a pass rushing end to groom behind Little. Hall’s been banged up this year as well. Offensive line is a consideration as well. Is Glenn Dorsey an option? I’m not sure, as Carriker as a 3-tech and Ryan as the nose makes a lot of sense. The nod goes to the OL, as Barron’s been disappointing and the depth isn’t pretty. They took a gamble on Barron’s potential last time. This time, while there are a couple other options, I think they go with the steady Jake Long here. Even if Pace comes back, I think OL should be the focus after further deliberation. They could start Long inside for a year as they determine what his pro capabilities are (can he play LT).

St. Louis Rams pick: OT Jake Long, Michigan

5. New England Patriots f/ Oakland Raiders

I could envision them dealing down again, but I have a tough time seeing a move to fully support. Perhaps if Atlanta falls in love with a QB and desperately wants to move up. That said, I could also see them stay put here. I don’t like the pick I’m about to make, as I’m not sold on the player being deserving of going this high. Furthermore, add in the fact that Glenn Dorsey is still on the board. I’m sure I’ll hear some crowing on this move, but the nod is to a CB, and in particular, Aqib Talib. He seems like the type of corner that Bill Belichick could really love. I will say that Talib needs to run probably around something better than say, a 4.5.

New England Patriots pick: CB Aqib Talib, Kansas

6. Minnesota Vikings

Childress is on the hot seat, as Tarvaris was the guy he wanted. I mean, a half decent QB this year, and this team is probably in the mix of parity with the rest of the league. I could see them sneaking a couple more wins potentially. Anyhow, they’re here, and the nod is going to be QB. A lot will depend on who is running things there. I think either Woodson or Ryan could work. Nod is going back to Andre’ Woodson this time around.

Minnesota Vikings pick: QB Andre’ Woodson, Kentucky

7. Atlanta Falcons

I’m quite impressed at how the Falcons have played the last couple of weeks. This team, despite all it’s been through, is showing some fight, and Petrino’s done well in adjusting. What’s the call here? If they stay put, the tremendous value of Glenn Dorsey is available. They could also go QB. Is there a team that might move up? Tempted on KC. Don’t see it, though. Perhaps Cincinnati? I’m going with a big move …

Projected Trade:

Buffalo Bills get the 7th overall pick
    Atlanta Falcons get the Bills 1st (20th overall), 2nd, and their first 3rd (Baltimore’s)

I think the Falcons will be very amenable to taking extra picks and moving down a bit further. I think Petrino probably would like to really rebuild the team in his image. Buffalo has some areas of concern, and McCargo has played better of late. But a dominant DT like Dorsey is still on the board … and that might be too tempting. I’m going to really enjoy hearing all the comments about Dorsey sliding too far. I don’t disagree … but I don’t like him enough to put him with Dolphins, and the Rams didn’t make enough sense for me. Raiders moving up to 3 is probably the position where he should go, but I can see Long there. I guess I could’ve explored some big deals to push into the top 5, but I don’t see any team particularly willing to push all the chips when Sedrick Ellis is also available.

Buffalo Bills pick: DT Glenn Dorsey, Louisiana State

8. Kansas City Chiefs

The defense is stout. Numbers aren’t dominant, but then again, they’ve had to deal with their own offense. The emergence of Boone has been tremendous. With the Croyle era likely starting, I’m guessing they’ll struggle down the stretch a bit. This pick should go offense, and in particular, the offensive line. The only caveat would be if Croyle was that bad to convince them otherwise. As of now, I don’t see that happening. Which offensive lineman? After a slow start, Ryan Clady has been much better of late. While he has to work on his run blocking, he’s arguably the OT with the highest LT potential, and I think they need to draft a guy that could be their LT of the future.

Kansas City Chiefs pick: OT Ryan Clady, Boise State

9. Houston Texans

A lot of factors have derailed a promising start. They’ve got a fairly tough schedule remaining, and even with the return of Andre Johnson, I’m not sure how much they can push up. What do they do here at 9? I’ve love to find a deal, but I don’t see one that I particularly buy. As such, I’m making a pick. They really should go OL or RB, but I’m not sure any of the OT’s make a lot of sense here for them, and the RB value is probably not here. Thus, the nod will go defense … again, and the nod is to Kenny Phillips to try and find a dynamic safety. Phillips has been a bit inconsistent this year, but he still has the athletic potential to really dominate, and he could be the 3rd level, as they lack the dynamic safety play right now, to solidify this defense.

Houston Texans pick: S Kenny Phillips, Miami (Florida)

10. Cincinnati Bengals

As I’ve noted, I think it’s time to make a coaching switch, as I think that, while Marvin is a good coach, that he’s probably taken them as far as he can, and maybe a new voice is needed. So it’s tough to gauge personnel if something changes. I haven’t followed closely enough to know what’s happened to the run game this year. That said, they still need to fix that D. LB could be a consideration, as could DL. I’m leaning DE here for now, as I think the return of Ahmad Brooks will help with the run D, and that they could really use a pass rush boost. The nod goes to Derrick Harvey.

Cincinnati Bengals pick: DE Derrick Harvey, Florida

11. Carolina Panthers

This team is just an enigma to me, and I think it’s the end of the line for John Fox as well. Yes, the loss of Delhomme hurt, but they just never played well enough, at least, for their talent level. What’s the nod here? The defense still has enough talent to maintain a solid level of play. The nod is going offense. I thought tackle for a long time here, but in the end, the nod goes to a QB of the future, and the pick is Matt Ryan. A mildly interesting side note to me if this happens – Matt Ryan reminds me a bit of Jay Cutler, and Jay went 11th, and spent a year behind a Jake as well. I don’t see the Panthers moving up to snag a QB.

Carolina Panthers pick: QB Matt Ryan, Boston College

12. Baltimore Ravens

Changes need to be made, and it might start with Billick. The offense is a mess, and for a purported offensive guru, that’s not good (granted, the days when Billick was an offensive guru was about a decade ago … he really hasn’t had a offensive guru-ish (i.e. dynamic) Ravens offense (at least, none that I remember … ). I could still see a scenario where they sneak into the playoffs, but they really aren’t that good of a team to deserve it. What’s the call here? They’ll go with their board more times than not, but in terms of needs, one could argue QB, perhaps a LT if there is one they love. Defensively, I could see an edge guy, a ILB type, and a CB. I was thinking Gholston and Jenkins for the longest time, but at the end of the day, I think Ozzie takes a step back and goes with Brian Brohm. I’m not the biggest fan of Brian Brohm, but as I’ve consistently said, I think he’ll make a solid NFL QB. I just don’t see a dominant one. But from a value perspective, he’s probably solid value anywhere in the teens, despite my own opinions. Barring a Kyle Boller surprise down the stretch, they need a QB of the future.

Baltimore Ravens pick: QB Brian Brohm, Louisville

13. Denver Broncos

After a busy offseason last year, a lot of folks had high expectations, and they have been largely inconsistent. As with a lot of teams, I could still see a scenario that they make the playoffs, particularly since the AFC West hasn’t exactly been gangbusters this year (although San Diego could pull away). Anyhow, assuming they are here, what’s the nod? They could use some OL help. The run D needs a lot of work. I’m leaning defense here. First, is there a trade scenario that jumps out? I guess, with the QB’s of the board, a team could desire to bolt up for an OT to beat the Bears. Maybe a team falls in love with someone. At the end of the day, I’m going with another trade, which will likely lead to some comments from people. Sedrick Ellis had slipped a bit, and might be a tempting target for

Projected Trade:

Tampa Bay gets the 13th overall pick
    Denver gets the 21st overall pick and the Buccaneers 2nd rounder

Denver can still address their needs at 21, and perhaps get better value. While TB could look at a lot of spots, a potentially dominant DT for the system may be too tempting to pass up.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers pick: DT Sedrick Ellis, Southern California

14. Chicago Bears

The interesting dynamic to watch with this Bears offseason is how pressured they are to win now. The leadership is likely to be back. As the whole world knows, the QB situation bears watching. OL needs help. Safety needs a playmaker. They could use a RB to push Benson (although guess is that they’ll address that in FA) and another WR. I think they have to address QB and OT before all else. QB value is off. I can’t see another QB pushing up here. Is there a trade? I sort of shot the bullet with the Buccaneers trade and don’t see one that stands out here for me. Thus, I’m making an OT pick. Which OT? Nod goes to Chris Williams, who has steadily moved up the boards. I’m actually not a huge fan of him but that said, he does have some intriguing LT potential. The thing with OT’s is that, once they move up at this point, it’ll take something really extreme to push them down (such as health).

Chicago Bears pick: OT Chris Williams, Vanderbilt

15. Philadelphia Eagles

An enigma of a team, as at times, they show a lot of flashes that they could play with anyone, and at other times, they look bad. It’ll be interesting to see what happens to Andy Reid. Guess is that he’ll come back, but who knows. Anyhow, what could they use? They’ve done a good job of adding depth in recent years. There really isn’t a safety here, so I’m leaning CB and Mike Jenkins. Jenkins does need to run, say, a 4.45, and also needs to show that the disorderly conduct thing isn’t an indicator of any other issues.

Philadelphia Eagles pick: CB Mike Jenkins, South Florida

16. Washington Redskins

It’ll be interesting to see if Gibbs returns. This team is close … does he walk away or does he give it one last go around? Initial indications were that this was it, but if they are close, could he opt for one last turn? Personnel wise, they have to be excited with Anthony Montgomery’s growth. Defensive end is still a concern. CB depth is needed. That said, they’ve cycled in a lot of guys at WR. I could, sadly, even see them get antsy and bolt up for a WR, but I think the nod could be WR. I don’t see a trade down that I like. Assuming Al Saunders is still around, the nod goes to Desean Jackson, who’s the best fit for the system. He could go higher, but I don’t see which team ahead would make that move.

Washington Redskins pick: WR Desean Jackson, California

17. Detroit Lions

I have them on the outskirts looking in relative to the playoffs, but that said, they could very well be in (or New Orleans). At times, they look real good. At other times, they look real, well, bad. But at the very least, they are headed the right direction. What do they do here? Offensively, I could see OL potentially. Defensively, I think they could still use a better DE. CB could probably use some help as well. A lot of people seem to have Vernon Gholston definitively pegged in as a 3-4 OLB. I think he can make a good 4-3 end with some work, and the system here could be a good fit for him.

Detroit Lions pick: DE Vernon Gholston, the Ohio State

18. New Orleans Saints

I have them on the outskirts looking in relative to the playoffs, but that said, they could very well be in (or Detroit). The loss to the Rams exhibited some holes, and I just wonder if they can be consistent enough down the stretch. Only time will tell. What do they do here? OL is a possibility. The run D has been better than I thought, although I still think they could use a DT upgrade if one is available. LB could use an upgrade, and CB could probably use another guy as well. What’s the call? I think that OL can be addressed in round 2, so I’m looking defense here. A guy like James Lauranaitis could bring the intensity that Payton wants. Keep in mind a couple years back, had Reggie Bush gone first, they supposedly wanted AJ Hawk at 2. James isn’t AJ, but he is an upgrade at a position they could use some upgrading.

New Orleans Saints pick: LB James Lauranaitis, the Ohio State

19. Seattle Seahawks

I really don’t think this team is all that good, but I have them sneaking into the playoffs. To be honest, I’m not real sure which area to go for them. I’m thinking OL or RB. Personally, I would go RB, but I don’t see that happening, as I think they may opt to add a RB later. Who? Jeff Otah has really climbed up. As I noted with Chris Williams, once an OT moves up this late, it’ll take something dramatic to bring them down, even though I’m not sold Otah is worth it here.

Seattle Seahawks pick: OT Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh

20. Atlanta Falcons f/ Buffalo Bills

I have the Bills on the outskirts looking in relative to the playoffs, but that said, they could very well be in (or Tennessee), with either Cleveland or Jacksonville out. I just looked at the schedule and didn’t like their chances as much as I liked Cleveland and Jacksvonille’s (considering Jax has a one game lead). Anyhow, this is Atlanta’s pick. Unfortunately, the top 3 QB’s are off, so I’ll probably hear it from people on this move. I just feel that, if they were offered that much, they might be tempted to move down. I mean, that’d be 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. Anyhow, they are here now, so what’s the call? Is there a QB that moves up here? Even if there is, the fact that there is 3 2nd rounders to work with may lead them to wait. DT value is lacking here. If DeAngelo Hall is moved, CB could be a thought (and if Hall is moved, they’d add another pick). Offensively, they could go RB or OL. I’m leaning RB here and going with Rashard Mendenhall as the workhorse back for Petrino.

Atlanta Falcons pick: RB Rashard Mendenahll, Illinois

21. Denver Broncos f/ Tampa Bay Buccaneers

I think Tampa Bay is a bit more consistent than New Orleans and I have them making the playoffs ahead of the Saints, but I could see them on the outside looking in as well. Anyhow, I made a swap earlier. Denver slides down and can address their defensive back 7 or add an OT. As tempting as I am to go OL, I think they opt for defense, and a LB like Erin Henderson could intrigue, as he could allow DJ Williams to move back outside. That said, they could also go with say, Keith Rivers and realign things in another manner.

Denver Broncos pick: LB Erin Henderson, Maryland

22. Arizona Cardinals

I’m so up and down on this team with my mocks. That said, they’ve gone up and down as well. I really like this team, but obviously, they need a healthy Kurt Warner. Whisenhunt has done a great job there, and I think they can edge out the Seahawks for the NFC West title. Anyhow, this is my order, so what’s up here? I could see them go a number of directions here. I’m going to make a pick that I’m not fond of. Calais Campbell could end up going higher, but he hasn’t had the season to deserve it. Could he push up? Perhaps. Just didn’t see it this time through. I thought CB, but didn’t like the value, and didn’t like the OT fits here.

Arizona Cardinals pick: DE Calais Campbell, Miami (Florida)

23. Tennessee Titans

I have them on the outskirts looking in relative to the playoffs, but that said, they could very well be in (or Buffalo), with either Cleveland or Jacksonville out. I gave the Jaguars the edge due to the win, and the Browns look to have an easier schedule, IMO. Anyhow, what do they do here? Their defense has been superb this year. They’ve slide Michael Griffin to safety, but CB isn’t really a consideration this high, I think. LB could be a thought, but that can probably wait, and DL depth can be found later. The run game has been stout, but they do need a big time WR to help in the passing game. They’ve collected a bunch of mid-rounders in recent years, so maybe it’s time to go for a WR early, to help Vince develop. A lot of intriguing options, but I’m going with Malcolm Kelly here this time around.

Tennessee Titans pick: WR Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma

24. Dallas Cowboys f/ Cleveland Browns

The Browns have a nice schedule remaining, so I can see them squeezing into the playoffs. Boy … few expected that to begin the year. I expect them to, btw, keep Derek Anderson around for another year, and this may develop into a Brees/Rivers type situation. Anyhow, this pick is Dallas’. The Boys could go a number of directions with this pick. At this point, I’m thinking DL, WR, or CB. I don’t like this pick at all, as I’m not sold the player is worth it. But Kentwan Balmer really seems to be capturing folks imaginations these days (still not sure he’s a quality starter in the NFL) and could be a good fit for the scheme. WR values here and through the 2nd and 3rd really aren’t all that different. Same goes for CB values.

Dallas Cowboys pick: DL Kentwan Balmer, North Carolina

25. New York Giants

A lot of credit to the Giants. I really didn’t think they were all that good going into the year, but they’ve really stepped up. I could still see them look OL, but I think this pick is likely to go defense. And with Keith Rivers still on the board, that might be too tempting to pass up here, as he offers them the weakside backer that can cover.

New York Giants pick: LB Keith Rivers, Southern California

26. Jacksonville Jaguars

I really wasn’t sure about this team entering the year, but they stepped up along the way. Of course, they need Garrard back, as they have a tough schedule down the stretch. That said, I think they can pull it off and make the playoffs. Anyhow, what’s the call here? I think they go DE, and perhaps take a look at Chris Ellis.

Jacksonville Jaguars pick: DE Chris Ellis, Virginia Tech

27. San Diego Chargers

I was working some of the schedules, and I ended up seeing the Chargers really storm through. The win against Indy really helped. Who would’ve thunk they’d be anywhere near here after the way they started. Anyhow, tis my order. What’s the call? Without 2nd and 3rd rounders, I think they’ll look hard for a deal. WR’s have slipped, and I could see a team decide to bolt up to secure someone.

Projected Trade:

Minnesota gets the 27th overall
    San Diego gets the 38th and Minnesota’s 2nd 3rd rounder (from Denver in the Marcus Thomas deal)

San Diego can address their needs later on in the draft just fine. Adding another pick in the first 3 rounds would be nice. Minnesota bolts up for a WR to grow with their young QB and RB. Who? The nod is to Early Doucet provided he’s healthy.

Minnesota Vikings pick: WR Early Doucet, Louisiana State

28. Pittsburgh Steelers

They’ve got a quality squad, and the beauty is that they’ve managed to do this while transitioning some of the pieces to get younger and adjust to a new HC. What’s the call here? A lot of options exist. LB could be a consideration. WR and CB could be thoughts. OL and a big back could be possibilities. I think there’s enough good options here that they may stay put. I’ll be mildly curious to the response on this one, but the nod is going with Gosder Cherilus.

Pittsburgh Steelers pick: OT Gosder Cherilus, Boston College

29. San Francisco 49ers f/ Indianapolis Colts

I think the Colts are the 2nd best team in the league, but I think Dallas and Packers have easier remaining schedules, so I see them with the better records, and tough to bet against the Patriots right now in regards to the Super Bowl. Anyhow, this is San Francisco’s pick. What happens with Mike Nolan will factor greatly into this decision here. That said, I’ll assume 3-4 defense for now.

Poor OL play has contributed greatly to their problems. That said, there’s some young pieces in place, so drafting someone this high is unnecessary unless they love someone. They could perhaps look WR. Defensively, DL talent could be sought, as could a pass rusher. What’s the call? I really like Dre Moore (I think I’ve used Moore and the Niners in 3 of my previous mocks), but not enough people seem to feel that he can make this push up. I think he can … but that’s me. Personally, I’d like to see them give Jason Hill a longer go at the WR spot. Ugh, I really want to go with Moore, but at this point, there’s usually some head of steam pushing him up. Well, after thinking about it, I’ll go Moore again, as I could see Dallas snapping him up, even though they added Balmer earlier already.

San Francisco 49ers pick: DL Dre Moore, Maryland

30. Dallas Cowboys

I gave the Packers the edge for now, based on their improved running game. But I could flip them again the next time. Anyhow, what now? While they could trade down, I don’t see it. They added a DE earlier, so they could look WR, CB here. I gave long thought in trying to find a trade here, but I didn’t see one that I liked. With the issues at corner this year, I’m going with Jack Ikegwuonu, but he has to show that the incident last year was an isolated situation.

Dallas Cowboys pick: CB Jack Ikegwuonu, Wisconsin

31. Green Bay Packers

If they actually have a run game with Ryan Grant now, they’ll be tough to beat, as that defense is good. We’ll see how they stack soon enough. Anyhow, what’s the call here? OL could get a look. CB could be a consideration. RB is a thought. I’ll go CB. I think a lot of junior CB’s may bolt as they see the weak senior class, and I could see Brandon Flowers being in that group.

Green Bay Packers: CB Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech

32. New England Patriots (forfeited) – They be bad … but they don’t care. They had a top 5 pick to work with

2nd round (that said, just going straight down, no rotating since I’m too lazy to work out specifics)

33. New York Jets

They added a stud RB earlier. What now? A RT is a thought, but a potentially dynamic pass rushing fit like Quentin Groves may be too tempting.

New York Jets pick: OLB Quentin Groves, Auburn

34. Miami Dolphins

After adding a stud corner, what now? The lines are definitely considerations. An OT like Phillip Loadholt may be the raw material for Hudson Houck to mold.

Miami Dolphins pick: OT Phillip Loadholt, Oklahoma

35. San Francisco 49ers

After adding much needed DL talent, a pass rushing OLB could be a consideration. WR could be a thought as well. The nod goes to Shawn Crable as a potential fit.

San Francisco 49ers pick: OLB Shawn Crable, Michigan

36. St. Louis Rams

Jake Long should help steady the offense. What now? Nod turns to that defense, where a DE could be sought after. Georgia Tech’s Darrell Robertson has had a monster year so far and could be a consideration here.

St. Louis Rams pick: DE Darrell Robertson, Georgia Tech

37. Oakland Raiders

Could familiarity breed opportunity for Sam Baker? He certainly hasn’t had the season that many expected, and this might end up being a bit of a reach for him. The other thought is WR, but Lane knows Sam, so the nod went OT (along with the fact that there OL has issues).

Oakland Raiders pick: OT Sam Baker, Southern California

38. San Diego Chargers f/ Minnesota Vikings

Chargers moved down earlier. What now? I could see RB, OL as strong considerations. I didn’t forget about the RB’s … they just slid down a bit. I tried to make a case for someone to bolt up late first to grab another one, but didn’t like the options. The nod goes to a RB to replace Michael Turner and be groomed as Tomlinson’s long run replacement. The nod goes to Jonathan Stewart. That said, if he runs a mid-4.4 number, he’s likely long gone.

San Diego Chargers pick: RB Jonathan Stewart, Oregon

39. Atlanta Falcons

They added a workhorse running back earlier. What now? I could see a number of looks, ranging from OL to DL. But they have to get a QB of the future in there. The nod is to Dennis Dixon here. I could see them get antsy and perhaps move up to grab a QB as well.

Atlanta Falcons pick: QB Dennis Dixon, Oregon

40. Kansas City Chiefs

Despite adding Clady earlier, I could see another OL guy. I could also see them look CB, perhaps DT, perhaps another WR. Nod goes CB here, with Terrell Thomas getting the look.

Kansas City Chiefs pick: CB Terrell Thomas, Southern California

41. Atlanta Falcons f/ Houston Texans

Dixon and Mendenhall gives them a new beginning on offense. What now? I’m thinking CB or OL. Nod goes to a gamble on Tony Hills recovery.

Atlanta Falcons pick: OL Tony Hills, Texas

42. Cincinnati Bengals

They added an end earlier. A LB like Dan Connor may be too good to pass up here.

Cincinnati Bengals pick: LB Dan Connor, Penn State

43. Carolina Panthers

They got their QB of the future earlier. What now? I could see OL be a consideration. That said, a potential FS like Reggie Smith might make more sense, as the value for OL seems iffy.

Carolina Panthers pick: FS Reggie Smith, Oklahoma

44. Baltimore Ravens

They got their QB of the future earlier. What now? I’m thinking CB, and perhaps someone like Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

Baltimore Ravens pick: CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State

45. Denver Broncos

After adding a LB earlier, what now? OL and S could garner looks. A dynamic RB could be a thought. After thinking about it, I'm swapping Slaton and DeCoud's positioning. Slaton could be a dominant player in the scheme.

Denver Broncos pick: RB Steve Slaton, West Virginia

46. Chicago Bears

They got their OT. They have to address QB. The nod goes to big Joe Flacco. Thomas DeCoud and Jamar Adams could be thoughts, but QB, IMO, has to be addressed.

Chicago Bears pick: QB Joe Flacco, Delaware

47. Philadelphia Eagles

They added a CB earlier. What now? Perhaps a safety like Michigan’s Jamar Adams.

Philadelphia Eagles pick: S Jamar Adams, Michigan

48. Washington Redskins

They added a WR earlier. DE could garner a look here, as could CB and OL. Nod goes CB and Antoine Cason here.

Washington Redskins pick: CB Antoine Cason, Arizona

49. Detroit Lions

Gholston was an intriguing add earlier. CB and LB could be options here. So could OL. I’m going with Phillip Wheeler as a potential system fit.

Detroit Lions pick: LB Phillip Wheeler, Georgia Tech

50. New Orleans Saints

Added a key LB earlier. What now? Perhaps a DeJuan Tribble as a guy that can step in and help soon? That said, I go with Clemson’s Barry Richardson as a RT option.

New Orleans Saints pick: OT Barry Richardson, Clemson

51. Seattle Seahawks

Added some big OL help earlier. What now? I’m going with a RB to groom. Nod is to Kevin Smith.

Seattle Seahawks pick: RB Kevin Smith, Central Florida

52. Atlanta Falcons f/ Buffalo Bills

Hills/Dixon/Mendenhall really starts the offensive revamping. I’m thinking defense here, DL if there’s value, otherwise CB. Nod goes to the big Red Bryant.

Atlanta Falcons pick: DT Red Bryant, Texas A&M

53. Denver Broncos f/ Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Erin Henderson and Steve Slaton gives them two potentially dynamic talents. They could look S or OL here. I'll go with DeCoud still after the flip. They lack a 3rd rounder, and DeCoud may be a more pressing need.

Denver Broncos pick: S Thomas DeCoud, California

54. Arizona Cardinals

They added Calais Campbell earlier. What now? OL could draw consideration. I’m thinking FS or CB could be options as well. I lean CB here.

Arizona Cardinals pick: CB Charles Godfrey, Iowa

55. Tennessee Titans

They hopefully added a big time WR earlier. What now? For some reason, I’m thinking a defensive end like Lawrence Jackson could garner a look here.

Tennessee Titans pick: DE Lawrence Jackson, Southern Califonia

56. Cleveland Browns

Their defense needs some more pieces. They could use front 7 help. I think Maurice Murray is a quality talent who is a bit underrated. Could I have him a tad overrated? Perhaps, I fully acknowledge that. That said, he’s solid against the run, has gotten better pass rushing, and has athletic tools, along with experience in the 3-4.

Cleveland Browns pick: DL Maurice Murray, New Mexico State

57. New York Giants

CB or WR got the early thoughts here. Plaxi-lite? I think Sweed can play WR in the pros, unlike some recent big receivers that couldn’t motor enough.

New York Giants pick: WR Limas Sweed, Texas

58. Jacksonville Jaguars

After going end earlier, they could look WR here. Perhaps a target like Adarius Bowman?

Jacksonville Jaguars pick: WR Adarius Bowman, Oklahoma State

59. Miami Dolphins f/ San Diego Chargers

Loadholt and Jenkins are two intriguing talents. What now? DL help is a thought. LB is a possibility. WR has to be considered. DL value is iffy here. Actually, nod goes to TE.

Miami Dolphins pick: TE Martin Rucker, Missouri

60. Pittsburgh Steelers

After adding Cherilus, what now? WR could get a look. A big back if one is there. CB and LB could be possibilities, and DL talent can’t be ruled out. Perhaps someone like Ezra Butler or Beau Bell could get a look. I’ll lean Bell here.

Pittsburgh Steelers pick: LB Beau Bell, UNLV

61. Indianapolis Colts

What could they use? I wonder if someone like DeMario Pressley could be worth a gamble here, knowing that he probably won’t be around a round later.

Indianapolis Colts pick: DT DeMario Pressley, NC State

62. Dallas Cowboys

After adding DL and CB earlier, WR gets the look here. A couple weeks earlier, I had him going a couple rounds higher. Nod goes to Donnie Avery here.

Dallas Cowboys pick: WR Donnie Avery, Houston

63. Green Bay Packers

After adding a potential big time corner, what here? OL is a consideration. Perhaps MD’s Andrew Crumney? Eh, seems a tad high. Maybe Steve Justice then.

Green Bay Packers pick: OL Steve Justice, Wake Forest

64. New England Patriots

After adding a top corner, what’s next? An ILB to groom is a definite possibility. Tedy Bruschi was a defensive end in college. Ezra Butler was a former DL that moved to LB. I think his best pro spot might be as a 3-4 ILB. Reminds me quite a bit of Bruschi.

New England Patriots pick: ILB Ezra Butler, Nevada
    Last edited by toonsterwu; 11-12-2007, 01:24 PM. Reason: forgot the Pats own the Raiders 3rd already

Just so you know, the Raider's 2008 3rd round pick already belongs to the New England Patriots.

Overall, very nice work Toon.

Comment

ah, i completely forgot about that. hmm ... that'll change the dynamics of the situation, as I have a hard time seeing the Raiders give up the 1st and 2nd this year to move up, and the only other possibilities, on pure picks, would be something complex like the first and 4th this year, and maybe a 2nd and 3rd next year. Or a first this year and a first next year. I guess it could involve talent to balance things out ... but I don't really see anyone that the Patriots would want that the Raiders would likely be willing to give up. ah ... well, i'll adjust to it to more complex of the scenarios for now ...

Comment

Don't like the first pick for the Redskins at all. The only reason we would be taking a WR is to get us a nice, tall, possession guy to help Campbell.

With Calais Campbell still on the board, I think we'd give him a shot.

I do like the Cason pick in the 2nd though.

Comment

I believe the Skins should go DE as well, but with Carter playing much better than last season, I could see them waiting on the position and looking at CB or WR because of the issues those two positions have dealt with. If Saunders is still around, I don't expect to see a nice, tall possession guy, as it doesn't fit the type of WR's he wants.

Cason is a nice fit. I'm not a big fan of Cason, but with the Skins playing a lot more cover 2, he works.

Comment

Love the dolphins pick, i feel a quality cb will help improve the pass rush, somthing you dont here in miami these days coverage sack. The other picks look solid to me.

Comment

Completely agree with everything you said about the Steelers...I love the Cherilous pick in round 1. I agree that round 2 we will either go LB, DL, CB or WR...i don't mind Bell, but i think i would prefer Ezra Butler. Anyways, nice job. grade A-

Comment

I've never been a fan of trading up at the expense of losing other valuable picks and whilst the prospect of Ellis would be tough to pass up, I still think the Buc's would benefit more from that extra 2nd rounder.

Comment

Very nice Vikings' picks. However, I'd almost want to see us go after Cherilius with that second first round pick. The offensive line has been a liability in some games this year, and eventually the right side going to need to be addressed.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

I dont think that the Bills should trade up in this draft. We have too many needs to waste picks (WR, LB, DT, CB, TE). Currently, WR is our #1 need. I know that Glenn Dorsey is an elite prospect, but our Run-D has been improving as of late. I'd rather stay put at #20 and select Keith Rivers. I'm not liking Keith Ellison too much, and when Pos returns next season, we'll have one of the best LB corps in the NFL.

In the second, I'd take Bowman. I like Bowman a lot, We need another good WR opposite of Evans. We have enough small, fast guys in Parrish, Price, and Reed. Bowman would be perfect for us, because he's big, fast and would be a good red-zone target.

Then, in the 3rd, I'd take a DT and a CB.

Originally Posted by scottyboy
                    my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
                    But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

Comment

I dont like the idea of us trading up at all especially without a 3rd rounder.But good picks.
                      "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by Bills2083 View Post
                        I dont think that the Bills should trade up in this draft. We have too many needs to waste picks (WR, LB, DT, CB, TE). Currently, WR is our #1 need. I know that Glenn Dorsey is an elite prospect, but our Run-D has been improving as of late. I'd rather stay put at #20 and select Keith Rivers. I'm not liking Keith Ellison too much, and when Pos returns next season, we'll have one of the best LB corps in the NFL.

In the second, I'd take Bowman. I like Bowman a lot, We need another good WR opposite of Evans. We have enough small, fast guys in Parrish, Price, and Reed. Bowman would be perfect for us, because he's big, fast and would be a good red-zone target.

Then, in the 3rd, I'd take a DT and a CB.
                        I have a hard time seeing the Bills taking Bowman. As much as fans often talk about getting a different type of receiver in there, Bowman doesn't really fit in regards to how Fairchild lkes his receivers.

Comment

2. Miami Dolphins

One interesting school of thought that someone floated is that they are purposefully not playing John Beck yet so that they won’t have to draft a QB in the first. That way, there’s no chance of Beck failing bad enough to warrant definitively moving on. Hopefully that’s not the case, as that’d be a very warped thought process, and I don’t think they should draft a QB anyways. At some point, though, they will have to turn it over to Beck.

I have no idea why, but I have the feeling that the Fins will pull off a win, if not two, this year. There really isn’t any great reasoning behind this. Just a gut feeling. What do they do here? Well … McFadden’s off the board. There goes the one pick that I think actually makes sense for them this high in the draft, despite what the Fins fans have said so far. But it’s gone. Is there a team that trades up? I’m not sold. Who’s going to sell out here when they could deal up to 3, as I think the Patriots will look to move down as well? There would have to be someone that a team falls in love with, and it’s too early in the process to figure that out.

I’m making a pick here, and I don’t particularly like any of the options available. I’ll probably hear it from Dolphins fans again. To be honest, at the beginning of the year I wasn’t sold that he would be a top 10 pick. But I’ve slowly come around to it, and I think Malcolm Jenkins could establish himself as a top 5 value at the end of the day. With Jason Allen moved back to safety, Jenkins could be the stud CB they need, perhaps giving Capers a Woodson/Lake type tandem.

Miami Dolphins pick: CB Malcolm Jenkins, the Ohio State

I don’t see why the Jets are picking ahead of us personally. As we are a far worse team then them up and down the board to be completely honest (and it hurts to say that). But I really don’t care for the pick there. If the raiders are going to trade up for the 3rd pick for long then why not to the second pick for him? Miami can move back and get what they need just as well down there. This pick really makes little to no sense as he is not worth a top 5 pick let alone a top 2 pick for this CB. Sorry I just don’t see it specially with our defensive system depending on Pressure upon the QB >>> CBs.

34. Miami Dolphins

After adding a stud corner, what now? The lines are definitely considerations. An OT like Phillip Loadholt may be the raw material for Hudson Houck to mold.

Miami Dolphins pick: OT Phillip Loadholt, Oklahoma

That is fine for a Right Tackle, I think he will develop well when Houck gets his hands upon him. He has the raw tools we would look for.

59. Miami Dolphins f/ San Diego Chargers

Loadholt and Jenkins are two intriguing talents. What now? DL help is a thought. LB is a possibility. WR has to be considered. DL value is iffy here. Actually, nod goes to TE.

Miami Dolphins pick: TE Martin Rucker, Missouri

I would prefer us going to look at Bell or a secondary addition at this point in the draft. I really don’t think this is a good fit. Yes, he is a nice talent but still we have bigger needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Vikes99ej View Post
                            Very nice Vikings' picks. However, I'd almost want to see us go after Cherilius with that second first round pick. The offensive line has been a liability in some games this year, and eventually the right side going to need to be addressed.
                            Interesting ... I was thinking that they could address the OL in the 3rd round, but then again, I guess it is fair to say that they've tried to find some guys in recent years and some haven't hit. That said, do you think that OL is a bigger need than WR in general, or is this more a case of Cherilus being someone you think is worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
                              I dont like the idea of us trading up at all especially without a 3rd rounder.But good picks.
                              Here's a question (removing the fact that I had to adjust and the trade a bit too complex) - Could you see them making a move up for someone, though? That said, I'd be the first one to say that staying put might make more sense in that situation. I just thought Chris Long might be enough to tempt Al to make that move, particularly since I think I would've given Chris Long to the Rams had the Rams had the choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information