Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016 Mock Draft (First Round Only - With Potential Trades and Descriptions)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Mock Draft (First Round Only - With Potential Trades and Descriptions)

This isn't my first rodeo... I've been doing these dating back at least ten years, but it has been my first time in a couple of years. In other words, be gentle! ;-)

1. Los Angeles Rams (from Tennessee) – Jared Goff, quarterback, University of California

The Rams traded in their Midwestern charm for the glitz and glamour of Hollywood this spring and then

literally traded their draft away for what they hope will be their quarterback of the future. In moving up

from the middle of the first round to the first overall selection, the L.A. Rams hope that Goff can be the

face of the franchise for years to come. I don’t believe Goff is the number one prospect in the draft, but

L.A. doesn’t have a premier signal caller and the front office is hoping Goff is will help make the return

the Rams not only to the West Coast but to the promised land as well.

2. Philadelphia Eagles (from Cleveland) – Carson Wentz, quarterback, North Dakota State University

The Eagles also paid a king’s ransom to move up from the eighth pick to the second pick in the draft. In

doing so, they made it perfectly clear they are looking to draft a quarterback and piss off starter Sam

Bradford in the process (!). That said, Philly seems to be enamored with Wentz, the strong-armed signal

caller from North Dakota State. However, I am sure the “Iggles” will take whichever quarterback is left

after the Rams choose at one.

3. San Diego Chargers – Jalen Ramsey, defensive back, Florida State University

I really struggled with this pick because the Chargers are at a great spot, even at three, to land one of

the best players in the draft with offensive lineman Laremy Tumesil from Ole Miss, linebacker Myles Jack

from UCLA, defensive end Joey Bosa from Ohio State or Ramsey. After losing Eric Weddle to free agency,

Ramsey is the logical pick to fill in that whole in the Bolts’ secondary and help anchor the defense for

years to come.

4. Dallas Cowboys – Joey Bosa, defensive end, Ohio State University

An unfortunate injury to quarterback Tony Romo derailed Dallas’ post-season hopes but even with a

healthy signal caller, the Cowboys still have holes to fill on both their offense and defense. One such

position is defensive end, where Greg Hardy is a free agent and Randy Gregory is one strike away from

facing a year-long suspension. Pairing up Bosa with rising star Demarcus Lawrence would be a match

made in heaven for the ‘Boys, giving Dallas a fearsome pass rush from the outside, even if Jerry Jones

wants running back Ezekiel Elliot.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars – Myles Jack, linebacker, University of California, Los Angeles

This is a quandary, as the Jaguars have lots of needs throughout their starting lineup, but London,

whoops, I mean, Jacksonville did a phenomenal job of signing defensive lineman Malik Jackson to a

blockbuster six year, 90 million dollar deal and signed two players to bolster their secondary. A

playmaker like Jack would be a huge improvement to their linebacker corps, as he can play outside or

inside. Who knows? The former Bruin ‘backer could also be used in goal line situations, as he rushed for

11 touchdowns in his UCLA career.

6. *projected trade* Cleveland Browns (from Baltimore via Philadelphia through Miami) Paxton Lynch,

quarterback, University of Memphis

Whew! I wonder who is running this organization, Paul DePodesta or Sonny Weaver, Jr., Kevin Costner’s

character in “Draft Day”? The Browns traded away the second overall pick to Philadelphia for the eighth

overall selection, but in doing so, would miss out on either Goff or Wentz, the top two quarterbacks in

the draft. So, the front office in Cleveland panics and makes ANOTHER trade, this time jumping ahead of

the Forty-Niners to take the gunslinger from Memphis in case the “RG3” Experiment doesn’t pan out.

7. San Francisco 49ers – DeForest Buckner, defensive end, Oregon

With the Niners still wondering (along with the rest of us) what in the world is going on with the

Cleveland front office, new head coach Chip Kelly decides to do what we all thought they would do in

the first place and that is draft yet another former Oregon Duck, defensive end DeForest Buckner.

Buckner, along with former UO teammate Arik Armstead, will be the new bookends for the San Fran

defensive line for years to come.

8. *projected trade* Baltimore Ravens (from Cleveland via Philadelphia through Miami) – Laremy

Tunsil, offensive tackle, University of Mississippi

Somehow, if this happens, I can see all the Ravens fans jumping for joy while general manager Ozzie

Newsome just sits there stoically. Baltimore gets probably one of the top two or three prospects in the

entire draft, the monster of man from Ole Miss and gets at least one more draft pick in return for

moving down two spots. Dream come true for the Ravens, getting the best offensive tackle in the draft

to protect their franchise quarterback, Joe Flacco.

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Vernon Hargraves III, cornerback, University of Florida

So, I have to admit, this was a difficult pick to predict with all the players the Bucs could snag at nine.

Also, I considered the fact they might actually trade down with some who might covet one of the

remaining big name offensive tackles or a premier defensive player like Hargraves. The corner from “The

Swamp” might be a tad small in comparison to the wide receivers he would have to cover at the next

level, but he makes up for it in his play on the field. With the other three high flying offenses in their

division, drafting Hargraves here to help the weak Tampa Bay secondary makes sense.

10. *projected trade* Miami Dolphins (from New York Giants via Philadelphia) – Ezekiel Elliot, running

back, Ohio State University

Again, these are just projected trades and this one might look random on the surface, but hear me out

here. The Dolphins let Lamar Miller walk via free agency and I don’t think they believe Jay Ajayi is going

to light the world on fire in his second NFL season. However, I don’t see Elliot falling to the ‘Fins at 13

(their own pick in the first round) and so I think in order to get ahead of Chicago (who also needs a

running back), Miami makes the deal with the Giants and moves up to get their Buckeye ball carrier.

11. Chicago Bears – Shaq Lawson, defensive end, Clemson University

I feel the Bears should send a fax of a big middle finger to the Saints headquarters in Metairie if this is

the pick here at eleven. “Da Bears” need help rushing the quarterback and this Clemson product fits the

bill perfectly. Chicago did get several good key players on the defensive side of the ball in free agency

including former Bronco linebacker Danny Trevathan and Patriot defensive tackle Akiem Hicks, so adding

another disruptive force up front for the Monsters of the Midway would go a long way towards climbing

out of the cellar in the NFC North.

12. *projected trade* Indianapolis Colts (from New Orleans) – Jack Conklin, offensive tackle, Michigan

State University

Wonder of all wonders, the Saints actually trade down? Well, if this happens, it’s apparent that Lawson

would have been the pick at 12 and so the Who Dats swap first rounders with the Colts, who

immediately draft the best offensive lineman not named Tumesil. Indy needs a healthy Andrew Luck to

be competitive in the AFC and need to keep him upright, not on the Lucas Oil Stadium turf. The Colts

have had little success with drafting offensive lineman (short of Anthony Castonzo), drafting six o-

lineman in five seasons. Something has to give.

13. New York Giants (from Miami via Philadelphia) – Ronnie Stanley, offensive tackle, University of

Notre Dame

The New York Football Giants front office has to be hitting their respective heads on their table in their

draft room on *just* missing out on the big Spartan offensive tackle they wanted one pick before the G-

men were on the clock. With that said, New York ends up taking the best remaining offensive tackle in

the draft, former Fighting Irish offensive lineman Ronnie Stanley. Stanley will hopefully shore up the

offensive line in the Big Apple and keep Eli Manning upright for next year and beyond.

14. Oakland Raiders – Sheldon Rankins, defensive tackle, University of Louisville

One of the surprise teams from last year, the Raiders, showed some great improvement from the team’s

past of which was like literally playing in a “black hole”. Adding Bruce Irvin was a shocker for me as I did

not expect the linebacker to sign with the Silver and Black. With the addition of Irvin, and drafting the

best defensive tackle in the draft, Louisville’s Sheldon Rankins, to the Raiders’ “D” which already

includes all-pro Khalil Mack and the team might be playoff bound sooner rather than later.

15. Tennessee Titans (from Los Angeles) – Taylor Decker, offensive tackle, Ohio State University

After trading down with the Rams, the Titans are in an odd spot, fourteen spots lower, but still unsure in

what direction to go in. The team is like a sieve, full of so many holes, and this spot gives them plenty of

options, but none are the blockbuster, “ERMAGHERD!” type players available. However, Decker might

not be flashy, but he is a dependable all-around blocker who has good intangibles including a nasty

streak. When it comes to protecting your franchise quarterback, Marcus Mariota, a little nasty could be

good thing.

16. Detroit Lions – Eli Apple, cornerback, Ohio State University

Could the Lions offseason have started out any worse? To have any player retire would be one thing, but

to have quite possibly the best player on your team retire is another! However, even with the loss of

Calvin Johnson, I don’t have Detroit going for a wide receiver here. One of the biggest weaknesses of the

team is their God-awful secondary, and in a division that has some top flight receivers and big armed

quarterbacks, drafting a cornerback here makes sense. I debated between Houston’s William Jackson III

and the cornerback from the Ohio State University, and in the end, I went with the player with one of

the best names in the draft.

17. Atlanta Falcons – Leonard Floyd, outside linebacker, University of Georgia

If the Giants were hitting their respective heads on tables and desks in East Rutherford, I’m sure this

selection will have the Saints front office going ape in their Metairie facility. Not only did the Saints hope

to have one of the best linebackers in the draft fall to them after trading down, but the fact that Leonard

Floyd goes to not just a division rival but the hated Atlanta Falcons to boot? I would not want to be in

*that* draft room. Anywho, Atlanta’s head coach Dan Quinn wanted to add more speed to their team

and boy, did they get it in drafting their hometown Georgia Bulldog linebacker.

18. New Orleans Saints (from Indianapolis) – Noah Spence, defensive end, Eastern Kentucky University

Here’s where I decided to try something different. Many teams would be scared of drafting the one-

time Buckeye who actually got himself banned from the Big Ten because of his drug abuse. The red flags

are there. However, if we can believe Spence saying that his past is behind him and that he has not

failed a drug test in months, then this pick might be the steal of the first round. The Saints desperately

need help getting after the quarterback in a division that has Matt Ryan, Jameis Winston and Cam

Newton. Spence has the skills, but does he have the discipline to make it in the NFL? The Who Dat

Nation definitely hopes so.

19. Buffalo Bills – Darron Lee, outside linebacker, Ohio State University

Let’s face it, unless you were a die-hard Bills fan last season, you had no idea the Bills actually finished 8-

8 and just missed making the playoffs. I will admit, I didn’t know it either, nor did I realize Tyrod Taylor

was their starting quarterback either. Supposedly the Bills brass like him as the starter, so I avoided

Buffalo drafting a signal caller here. However, their defensive definitely needs an overhaul, especially in

the linebacker corps where an upgrade is needed. The FIFTH Buckeye taken in the first round, Darron

Lee, can definitely step in and make a different in the Bills defense.

20. New York Jets – Kevin Dodd, defensive end, Clemson University

The Jets have to be furious on missing out on a player they probably coveted as the “Gang Green” could

use an upgrade with their linebackers. However, New York has plenty of question marks scattered

throughout the field. There is the quarterback dilemma with Ryan Fitzpatrick still not signed and the

Muhammad Wilkerson situation as well. If both sign, great. But if not, well, at least the J-E- T-S got a pass

rusher in a division where pressuring the quarterback is key.

21. Washington Redskins – Andrew Billings, defensive tackle, Baylor University

First of all, who would have saw not only the team’s vast improvement last year with Kirk Cousins under

center, but also the blockbuster signing of cornerback Josh Norman a few days ago? The ‘Skins still have

needs on both sides of the ball, but the signing of Norman was huge, keeping Washington from having

to reach for a cornerback here. That said, the Redskins will still reach, but it’s for a defensive lineman,

not a defensive back. I debated between Baylor’s Andrew Billings and Alabama’s A’Shawn Robinson, but

I picked the Baylor lineman here.

22. Houston Texans – Josh Doctson, wide receiver, Texas Christian University

In their signings of both quarterback Brock Osweiler and running back Lamar Miller, it shows that the

Houston front office is definitely on board with stocking the cupboard with offensive players to go

alongside probably one of the best defensive players in the game today, J.J. Watt. However, the Texans

still have to replace arguably one of the best players to ever play for the Texans, Andre Johnson. With

that said, the Texans have their pick of the litter in this year’s draft as no wideout has been selected as

of yet, and so they choose the bigger, faster Doctson over the undersized Corey Coleman.

23. Minnesota Vikings – Laquon Treadwell, wide receiver, University of Mississippi

To think about it, Minnesota has had a history of great wide receivers, but no name really just jumps out

at you, not unless you are a die-hard Vikes fan. Minnesota needs someone to pair up with the young and

somewhat inconsistent Teddy Bridgewater, to learn and grow with him and hopefully be successful as

well. I am a huge fan of Treadwell, especially after his comeback from a gruesome injury. Hopefully, he

has a great career ahead of him in the NFL.

24. Cincinnati Bengals – Corey Coleman, wide receiver, Baylor University

The run on wide receivers continues (and stops) with the Bengals as they select the last of the top three

wide receivers, Baylor’s Corey Coleman. Coleman can step in and take over the number two job, across

the field from A.J. Green, use his sub 4.5 speed to get open and hopefully catch pass after pass from

Andy Dalton, A.J. McCarron or whoever is the quarterback for Cincinnati. Coleman might be only 5 foot

10 but he should fit in nicely in “The Jungle” and be a starter immediately.

25. Pittsburgh Steelers – William Jackson III, defensive back, University of Houston

The Steelers might want to consider changing their name (at least for the first round) to the Pittsburgh

Steal-ers, because that might be what they end up doing when all is said and done. Pittsburgh had

difficulty stopping the pass last season and while it is not panic mode, the addition of the ball-hawking

Cougar cornerback will definitely help shore up the Steelers secondary for years to come.

26. Seattle Seahawks – A’Shawn Robinson, defensive tackle, University of Alabama

The Seahawks have had lots of success in the draft in recent years, but they have had difficulty this

offseason losing players to free agency. Couple that with the fact they also traded away the anchor of

their offensive line and have yet to actually figure out their offensive tackle situation, and this could

possibly be an offensive lineman. However, I don’t see any o-lineman graded this high, so I have the

‘Hawks drafting a defensive tackle to help soften the blow of losing Brandon Mebane with another guy

who will be solid pick for the “12th Man” for years to come.

27. Green Bay Packers – Reggie Ragland, linebacker, University of Alabama

The Packers are one of those teams that don’t do Bumpkis during free agency and might not make the

sexiest pick but still end up looking like the Prom Queen. This year, the Packers might end up with

another candidate in Alabama’s Reggie Ragland. Ragland plays with authority and is considered the

number one inside linebacker in the draft. With both Clay Matthews and Ragland in their linebacking

corps, the Pack might be back… in the Super Bowl that is.

28. Kansas City Chiefs – Mackensie Alexander, defensive back, Clemson University

Andy Reid’s team, when healthy, can compete with any other team in the league. However, “when

healthy” is the optimum phrase as the Chiefs need a healthy Justin Houston and Jamaal Charles to get

over the hump and hopefully back to the promised land. After losing Sean Smith to free agency (to the

Raiders to boot!), Kansas City needs to upgrade their secondary. While some teams might shy away

from Alexander because of his lack of ideal size and his brash persona, but I think Coach Reid will be able

to mold this young man into a top flight cornerback when all is said and done.

XX. New England Patriots – forfeited selection due to “Deflate-Gate”

29. Arizona Cardinals – Karl Joseph, safety, West Virginia University

Funnily enough, this is another example of a team picking someone one spot before another team

would have done cartwheels to get them. I feel some Cardinals fans would rather have Arizona picking

their heir apparent to Carson Palmer here, but I think that secondary, not signal caller, is a bigger

priority. Pass rusher would also be considered here, but I feel the Cards take the best traditional safety

prospect out there in the former Mountaineer. Joseph is one guy I have seen shooting up many draft

boards, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s not available at the end of the first round.

30. Carolina Panthers – Germain Ifedi, offensive tackle, Texas A&M University

It's no shock that an offensive tackle goes here, as that position was exposed (badly, I might add) in

Super Bowl 50. However, that seemed to be the only glaring weakness for a team that went 15-1 in the

regular season and breezed into the “Big Game” in Santa Clara. The problem is, the consensus top four

tackles are already off the board by the time the Panthers pick at 31. However, Carolina doesn’t panic

and picks the Texas A&M product, a program that has produced THREE first-round offensive tackles in

the past three years. Ifedi will make it an even four for four.

31. Denver Broncos – Connor Cook, quarterback, Michigan State University

I had one pick left (I’m not picking New England’s selection in the second round – with Bill Belichick’s

record, they’ll probably end up with some great steal regardless), so I decided to go for the shock value

here. The Super Bowl 50 champions are suddenly down to the player who will forever be known as the

reason the phrase “Butt Fumble” is in our lexicon as their starting quarterback after Peyton Manning

retired to go work for either Nationwide, Papa John’s or Omaha Steaks (think about it) and Brock

Osweiler headed for greener (in terms of money) pastures in Houston. Rumors have been swirling

around the Broncos trying to either trade for Colin Kaepernick or trading up earlier in the first round. If

they do neither, I think this could be the final pick of the first round; a quarterback, just like we started it

thirty picks ago.

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
    https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Working...
X

Debug Information