This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
    CB is far and away the #1 need for the Ravens at this point. It isn't even close. Yes, youth in the WR core and along the defensive line would be nice, but at this point the secondary has become a legitimate threat to an otherwise championship caliber team. We need to invest a premium pick in a corner, and it needs to happen now.
    I could definitely see how you can make that argument, but if CB is #1A, than DE is 1B.

The lack of a consistent pass-rush is also a reason a championship team could be held back. Redding has slightly improved (which isn't saying much), but he got gashed in the running game for most of the season.
    Ngata and Suggs would be unstoppable if there was a DE on the other demanding some attention.

Other than Lewis, who isn't elite anymore our ILB's are also getting shredded in all aspects. Ellerbee is the only one with some talent, but he doesn't play very smart, and is in the doghouse because of it.

The lack of a #1 CB is definitely a problem but our secondary isn't the only weakness on the defense. We still have some good young CB's, but absolutely no depth at the DE position.

With that being said though, I would have be very happy with Harris(if he fell somehow) or Williams in the first.
    Last edited by thegreatone; 12-03-2010, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thegreatone View Post
      I could definitely see how you can make that argument, but if CB is #1A, than DE is 1B.

The lack of a consistent pass-rush is also a reason a championship team could be held back. Redding has slightly improved (which isn't saying much), but he got gashed in the running game for most of the season.
      Ngata and Suggs would be unstoppable if there was a DE on the other demanding some attention.

Other than Lewis, who isn't elite anymore our ILB's are also getting shredded in all aspects. Ellerbee is the only one with some talent, but he doesn't play very smart, and is in the doghouse because of it.

The lack of a #1 CB is definitely a problem but our secondary isn't the only weakness on the defense. We still have some good young CB's, but absolutely no depth at the DE position.

With that being said though, I would have be very happy with Harris(if he fell somehow) or Williams in the first.
      I agree with you to an extent, but I'd venture to say that its more the rest of our LBers then it is the talent alone the defensive line. Ngata/Cody, along with Redding and Art Jones is a halfway decent young core along the line, assuming Cody and Jones continue to develop and start to get some playing time. I think the Kindle injury hurt us more then people realize, as we really needed him to provide some pass rush on 3rd downs in place of Jarrett Johnson. Still, I think CB is by far our biggest need and Id be happy with Harris, Aaron Williams, and maybe even Jimmy Smith or Janoris Jenkins if the value was right.
      Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
      The APS is strong in this one.
      Originally posted by killxswitch
      Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
        I agree with you to an extent, but I'd venture to say that its more the rest of our LBers then it is the talent alone the defensive line. Ngata/Cody, along with Redding and Art Jones is a halfway decent young core along the line, assuming Cody and Jones continue to develop and start to get some playing time. I think the Kindle injury hurt us more then people realize, as we really needed him to provide some pass rush on 3rd downs in place of Jarrett Johnson. Still, I think CB is by far our biggest need and Id be happy with Harris, Aaron Williams, and maybe even Jimmy Smith or Janoris Jenkins if the value was right.
        Other than Smith, I'd be fine with any of those corners in the first.

Comment

1. Middle Linebacker or Weakside Linebacker.

It doesn't really matter which one because DeAndre Levy can play both positions, but he can only play one at a time. I personally think Levy was better on the outside, so I would lean towards middle linebacker being the bigger need. However, we just need talent at linebacker. We can figure out who plays which position later.

2. Right Guard and/or Center

Both Raiola and Peterman have been awful this year (Peterman a bit more so) and should be replaced. Jeff Backus and Rob Sims have been fantastic in pass protection and Gosder Cherilus looks like a switch might've been flipped, but Raiola and Peterman are getting abused almost every game.

3. Cornerback

I think both Alphonso Smith and Chris Houston have a future on this team, but neither are #1 cornerbacks. Smith has been a pleasant surprise since coming over from Denver and looks like he could be a good #2 corner in this league. Right now he's been asked to mostly cover the opposing team's #1 receiver and he hasn't been completely awful. Chris Houston has held his own against #2 receivers but would be a better fit as the nickle.

4. Defensive End

Vanden Bosch just signed a big contract and Cliff Avril is really reaping the benefits of playing with Ndamukong Suh, but you can never have enough defensive linemen in the NFL. Vanden Bosch is getting older and has battled injuries this year. An athletic, situational pass-rusher would be a great pick in the first four rounds.

5. Running Back

We need a compliment to Jahvid Best and Kevin Smith probably isn't the answer. Best has suffered some nagging injuries this year so a back who could take some of the load off his shoulders would be helpful.

6. Offensive Tackle

Backus has been great and the Lions cannot justify taking an offensive tackle early in the draft, but a depth and/or developmental guy is needed. Backus has started every single game since being drafted, but if he ever went down we have no one who could fill in for him. I also question if he will be able to sustain his current level of play for more than another season or two.

Comment

49ers:

First of all we need a new (or real) GM and a HC!

1) QB
            2) CB
            3) OLB
            4) NT
            5) WR
            6) CB
            7) RB

Comment

St. Louis Rams

A lot of these first couple needs will obviously depend on depth in the situations, Rams don't have one glaring need over another, a lot of areas still need improvement

1) Right Defensive End - The Rams are relatively high-ranking in sacks among the league this year but Spags love to have a dominant defense and although the linebackers have been huge this year and a pass-rushing DE on the other side of Chris Long would be huge for this defense.

2) Outside Linebacker (WILL or SAM) - Like I said the first three could be interchangeable so I'll talk about this one next. Right now the Rams have started this entire season with Na'il Diggs and Larry Grant on the outside of James Laurinaitis and while both those guys have showed they are excellent depth players at the position a true impact guy along side Animal Jr. would be a big pick up for the defense.

3) Wide Receiver - With the emergence of guys like Danny Amendola, Mark Clayton (before his knee was torn up), and now even Danario Alexander the WR position might not be the first round need it was a month or so ago but nonetheless there is still not an impact guy within this offense so someone with the size to pair with an injury risk like Alexander (I am a big Mizzou fan and it kills me to say that) would be great alongside the returning deep threats in Donnie Avery and Clayton.

4) Running Back - Steven Jackson is a beast but for years the Rams have needed a solid number 2 guy to spell him about 9-10 plays (and not just passing situations like Darby) and this is the year I hope the Rams actually snag a backup for Jackson.

5) Interior O-Line - The Rams have done a great job solidifying the LT, RT, LG, and C positions but the RG spot has been the big question mark for year. Adam Golberg hasn't been bad this year but some more young depth along the offensive line would be key.

6) Defensive Tackle - Decided to throw in a sixth need here for the Rams. The defensive tackle position hasn't always been the most important for Spags' defense but the Rams showed real interest in Suh and McCoy last year and so I think that shows they recognize that some young talent and depth is needed on the interior d-line.
              I'm doing a real job now...well, semi-real.

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.

Comment

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
                Patriots:

Outside Linebacker - Jermaine Cunningham looks like a solid starter, but Rob Ninkovich and Tully Banta-Cain aren't anything special. Getting an impact pass rusher would be just what the doctor ordered. New England likes big, physical linebackers who can set the edge in the run game.

Center - Dan Koppen has a ton of experience and knows all the line calls, but New England has had trouble defending against pressure from up the middle this year, and Koppen isn't strong enough to defend against all the nose tackles in the league nowadays.

Offensive Tackle - Matt Light is 32 and in the last year of his contract. Sebastian Vollmer will start on one side of the line for the foreseeable future, but even if Matt Light re-signs, the Patriots will most likely look to start grooming a future replacement for him.

Wide Receiver - Brandon Tate has struggled to find his place in the offense and Taylor Price is a big project. Since trading Randy Moss, New England has lacked a wide receiver who commands special attention and can make plays downfield.

Running Back - BenJarvus Green-Ellis has played better than expected, and Danny Woodhead is a nice back as well, but neither one can be called a top-shelf runner. This team has lacked a feature back ever since Corey Dillon left.

Defensive End - Another position with solid contributors but no stud. This is a deep position with Ty Warren, Gerard Warren, Ron Brace, Brandon Deaderick, and Mike Wright, but the team could be tempted to take a strong, two-gap defender who can control running lanes.

Offensive Guard - This is only a need if Logan Mankins doesn't return. Dan Connolly has been perhaps the team's most consistent lineman all year, but next season is Stephen Neal's last and a future starter at the position is needed.
                I agree with your assessment but I feel the PATS will deal with the RB issues with FA. There are a lot of RB who will be FA who will move to other teams. BUSH (Oak) Thomas (NO) and Williams (MIA) are three backs that I think the PATS will make plays for.

I don't think the PATS will go for a WR early. They don't need a big WR to stretch a D. They get the ball to a playmaker and let them gain yards after the catch. It is a different philosophy then when they had Moss and I don't think they will try to go back to those days anytime soon. They are explosive this way. WR is not a high priority imo.

Add CB to the list. They will get Bodden back next year and a slew of former starters at other positions but I think that they will take a DE and an OLB with two of the first three picks because they need one of each but also because this is a good draft for those positions.

1. OLB
                2. DE
                3. CB
                4. C-T-G (due to age) BPA

Comment

Miami need....lots.

Biggest need is a NEW OC.

1. Strong Safety
                  2. Running back with break away speed.
                  3. Pass catching TE
                  4. O Linemen, The only one that is a lock is Jake Long.
                  5. Middle LB to replace Crowder
                  6. WR.
                  No matter how bad a day I have, someone always has a worse day...

Comment

Panthers

1. New Head Coach to see what direction the team is going
                    2. Franchise QB - Hopefully we grab Luck and he's the face of the franchise. Want Clausen to play better so we can trade him.
                    3. DT -
                    4. DE - need a difference maker
                    5. WR
                    6. RG - I'd love to see a trade and grab Pouncey for this position
                    7. TE - Rosario could be good if used more. Will the next coach use this position more?
                    8. CB

I think the positions we DON'T need are RB, OT, LB and Safety (although if we don't get the #1 pick I'd take Peterson in a heartbeat)

Comment

Re

I would also like some more information regarding this.

Comment

Atlanta Falcons:
                        1.) DE- Biggest need IMO, Abe's gettin up there in age and we dont have anyone who can create a consistent pass rush opposite him. Bierrman is best as rotational player

Secondary needs(take BPA at anyone of the postions)
                        2.) LT/RT- Baker has been inconsistent the season(tho better as of late) Tyson Clabo has been a stud this year(just ask clay matthews) but is a free agent after the season
                        3.) CB- Dunta Robinson has definitly helped the secondary and Brent Grimes has been as good as you can be for being like 5-7. Could stand for an upgrade
                        4.) WR- Jenkins has been better than expected and Roddy is a god, so its not as high of a need but it never hurts to get Matt Ryan more weapons
                        5.) OLB- Mike peterson is likely a goner after the year, not sure if Nicholas starts next year in place of him, if so could still use depth
                        5.) TE- just in case Gonzalez were to retire after this year(I dont think he will)

Comment

Vikings

1. Quarterback - Favre is done, if Jackson re-signs it will be for the backup spot or for spot starting if we are unable to draft a QB until 2nd or 3rd round.
                          2. Safety - Too many average guys, some below average, no ballhawks, no hard hitters, just warm bodies out there right now.
                          3. #1 Cornerback - Winfield is a slot corner and may move to safety, we have decent CB's, but just need a true shutdown guy.
                          4. DE - Ray Edwards is sure to leave in free agency, if not a first round guy then it would be better to draft one later and Robison would take the LDE.
                          5. O-Line - upgrade depth at any position
                          6. OLB - Could upgrade Leber, if not likely draft for depth, Greenway should see his money this offseason

Comment

Skins

1.qb
                            2.wr
                            3.dline
                            4.olb
                            5.interior o line
                            6.fs/cb

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
                            12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao

Comment

Team needs:

1. Pass rushing 4-3 DE - Stylez White is average and getting old. Crowder is meh. Kyle Moore is a bum. Michael Bennett is a high motor back up. Alex Magee is more of a LE IMO. We are 31st in the NFL in sacks and 3rd down conversion % allowed. Simply put, we are horrible at putting pressure on the opposing team's QB.

Bowers (2 year starter, All ACC 1st team)
                              Quinn (2 year starter, 2009 All ACC 1st team)
                              Kerrigan (Co-Captain, 3 year starter, 2 time All BIG 10 1st team)
                              Aldon Smith (2 year starter, 2009 All-BIG 12 2nd team)
                              Jeremy Beal (3 year starter, 2009 All BIG 12 2nd team, 2010 1st team)
                              Romeus (2 year starter, 2009 All BIG EAST 1st team)

2.4-3 Outside Linebacker - Geno Hayes is still young, but is way too light and inconsistent. Who knows if we can count on him even if he were a better player, because of his off the field issues. Quincy Black has been on the team for awhile and is currently on IR. Not saying that he isn't supposed ot be back to 100% before the season starts, but I think we have seen enough from him to know he is average at best. Hayward is a career special teamer. Would like to see more of what Watson can do in the next 2 games, but still think we should look to upgrade here in the first 3 rounds of the draft. Our run defense is horrible, 29th in yards per game and dead last in yards per rush. UGGHH!!

Akeem Ayers (2 year starter, All PAC 10 1st team)
                              Bruce Carter (4 year starter, All ACC 2nd team)
                              Martez Wilson (2 year starter, All Big 10 1st team)
                              Greg Jones, MLB (4 year starter, 3 time All BIG 10 1st team)
                              Zach Brown (2 year starter)

3. Safety
                              - Tanard Jackson has pro bowl talent in a junkie's body. He's supposed to come back after week 2 or 3 next year, but who knows if he can get his crap together and help this team make a playoff run in 2011. Sean Jones has been a nice addition, but he has been caught out of position this year and isn't a ball hawk. Cody Grimm was a very nice diamond in the rough and really helped to improve our run defense. Love his heart, attitude and text book tackling. Corey "Hard Knocks" Lynch is more of a ball hawk than Jones, but is a 3rd stringer and it shows. Larry Asante has yet to be activated to my knowledge so I have no opinion on him, other than what I saw from him at Nebraska. He's supposedly a thumper but brings nothing else to the table. We need a ball hawking, play making free safety to play alongside Grimm in the future Bucs secondary, IMO. Grimm could be special at Strong.

Quenton Carter ( 2 year starter, All BIG 12 1st team)
                              Rahim Moore (3 year starter, 2 time All PAC 10 1st team)
                              Eric Hagg (3 year starter, All BIG 12 1st team)
                              Mark Barron (2 year starter, 2 time All SEC 1st team)
                              Ahmad Black (3 year starter, All SEC 1st team)

4. Offensive Line (other than LT)
                              - Lets be honest these guys have been overrated when healthy and now that they have been hit with the injury bug we get to see that we have been doing ok with their backups/rookies filling in. Joseph and Faine are supposed to be the most talented, instead they are the most overrated, IMO. Trueblood lost his spot to James Lee after an early season injury and only got it back after Lee suffered a 2nd quarter injury in the Detroit game. Trueblood looks like he should be a mauling run blocker, exactly what I would expect out of a RT, but he isn't. Larsen and Zuttah are young OL that we have that have done well filling in this year. Not sure about Lee. I could live with any highly rated OL being drafted early.

Gabe Carimi (4 year starter, 2 time All BIG 10 1st team)
                              John Moffitt (4 year starter, 2 time ALL BIG 10 1st team)
                              Marcus Cannon (3 year starter, 2 time ALL MWC 1st team)
                              Nate Solder (3 year starter, All BIG 12 1st team)
                              Derek Sherrod (3 year starter, All SEC 1st team)
                              Anthony Castonzo (4 year starter, 2 time All ACC 1st team, 2008 2nd team)

5. Run stopping DE - See above for complete DE analysis. We could very well take 2 DE's this draft, much like how we doubled up on WR and DTs in 2010. If the elite pass rushers are gone by the time our pick comes up (which is very likely) and if we choose not to trade up, I would not be upset if the BPA in the second round was a strong LE. Wouldn't want to draft one in the first, though.

Jared Crick (2 year starter, 2 time All BIG 12 1st team)
                              J.J. Watt (2 year starter, All BIG 10 1st team)
                              Pernell McPhee (2 year starter, 2009 All SEC 2nd team and 2010 1st team)

6. Change of pace RB - some speed for our Blount Force Trauma. Don't know if we don't already have that in Kareem Huggins (IR), but if the BPA in the middle to late rounds is a fast, pass catching RB then so be it.

DeMarco Murray
                              Noel Devine
                              Kendal Hunter
                              Shane Vereen

7. Big bruising FB
                              - Earnest Graham is not a true FB. Pretty sure Blount is bigger. lol

Owen Marecic
                              Last edited by bullg8rdaddy; 01-09-2011, 02:36 AM.

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

Comment

My version of the Ravens needs:

1 - DE: We definitely need to upgrade the pass-rush and this is a weaker spot than our CBs. We don't just need a 3-4 DE, but a guy who could play both LE and the 5-technique while being able to get a pass-rush from both spots. A tall order to fill, but if we're going to keep Mattison around we need a player like this so our corners don't have to stay in coverage forever like they are now.

2 - ILB: Other than Lewis our #2 ILB spot has been awful this season. Part of that is because Jameel McClain and Tavares Gooden aren't good and part of that is because Ellerbe has been in Harbaugh's doghouse and hasn't seen the field much. Regardless the spot needs to be upgraded, and somebody that's more in the athletic/coverage mold might be a better fit than somebody who's main strength is taking on blocks.

3 - WR: Boldin has been a great addition to the receivers, but we still need guys to compliment him. Including him we only have three receivers under contract for next season as well (Mason and Reed being the other two), and Houshmanzadeh likely won't be back and Stallworth hasn't shown much either. We need speed on the outside, both in terms of a deep threat and somebody who can quickly separate from a defender. Adding another possession receiver won't help this offense.

4 - CB: This probably gets the most attention for being the Ravens biggest need but if you actually watch a Ravens game you can see the pass-rush is so abysmal that the corners are pretty much screwed. However we do have a need for a guy that can cover other teams #1 receivers, or at least a bigger corner that can play man coverage effectively.

5 - RG/RT: Depending on where we want to use Yanda for the future we will have a need at RG or RT. Either spot will do but a RT is preferred since Yanda is better on the inside, but if he gets a bigger contract I could see us looking for a guard instead (he's not going anywhere, I can assure you of that).

6 - S: Dawan Landry has been pretty awful so far this season and it would be a shame for us to bring him back. We will also need an heir apparent to Reed, although with this safety class I could see us waiting for another year. Zbikowski or Nakamura will probably get the first chance at the SS spot if/when Landry is gone, but if we are in a position to add somebody that could compete with either for the spot I think that's an option. Again, with the weak class I could see us just sticking with what we have and waiting until next year to address either safety spot.

7 - C: Birk will be in his last year of his contract next season and I think it will be hard for us to bring him back with any hope of him holding down the center spot for the next couple of years. He's been alright this season but his age is starting to show and we need a replacement soon. A guy with the strength to take on the NTs we see on a consistent basis in the AFCN would be nice but a great technician similar to Birk isn't out of the question either.

8 - OLB: With the recent reports of Kindle possibly being out next season as well this becomes a need. I think it's just the doctors not wanting to promise anything but with a head injury like Kindle's you never know. Jarrett Johnson has been disappointing this season and we literally have no depth at the position. Suggs has been great but we need a guy opposite of him to really utilize him correctly. Adding LBers that can cover is also a pretty big need.

That seems to be about it, and there isn't a whole lot of separation in the urgency of our needs. BPA at any of the positions I mentioned is likely the route Ozzie will go, after all I listed 8 of them and BPA at a position of need seems to be his way of drafting.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information