Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mock, Mock, Mock, v 4.0, 3 Rds w/analysis.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mock, Mock, Mock, v 4.0, 3 Rds w/analysis.

Constructive (logical reasoning, scheme/offensive/defensive philosophy, the why I am wrong) is criticism is greatly appreciated. I try to take i value, need and schematic fit into account as best I can. I included my current draft grades after my thoughts/analysis, and the previous pick from my last mock as well. Many of the picks occured before Bailey resigned or Newton opened his mouth. This mock has dragged on for three weeks now, for a variety of reasons, but I wanted to put out an honest effort before the combine further complicated things, so have at it!! As always I will respond when I can.

2011 Mock Draft 4.0

1st Round

1 – Carolina – Nick Failey (DT – Auburn)
    Carolina’s roster at defensive tackle reads like a who’s who of nobodies. An upgrade is clearly warranted. Fairley would not have been the first DT selected last year, and may have been the third in all reality, however this is not the 2010 NFL draft. With Ron Rivera knowing how important front line talent is to a defense, the Panthers will look to give him a big piece of the puzzle for his defense. The Panthers could go with A.J. Green to fill the hole at the #1 receiver spot and let Steve Smith move on, or to the #2 receiver where he is a better fit, but I think they will continue to develop the young receivers on their roster at this point. DaQuan Bowers makes sense, but Charles Johnson had a break out year, Greg Hardy, Everette Brown, and Eric Norwood are all young and full of potential. They could always go QB, falling in love with, and taking Blaine Gabbert or Cam Newton is not out of the question either, but giving up on Jimmy Clausen who was the Panthers first pick last year, does not make a lot of sense, unless it is for a sure fire #1 QB like Andrew Luck. At the end of the day, Fairley ability to disrupt and alter the outcome of a game from the interior of the defensive line, making those around him better as well, and improving the team as a whole. The “Red Flag” label is interesting in that he would fit right into the AFC North, where his “dirtiness” and “intensity” would not only be applauded, but would not make Sunday’s in 2011 (if there is a 2011 season) and beyond, any different than Sunday’s in of the past two plus decades I have been watching football. As for the “off the field” concerns, I still cannot find any legitimate documented concerns, and the correlation to Jamarcus Russell is absurd. Cal and Billy Ripken grew up in the same house and were nothing like each other. His work ethic is being applauded by his trainer, and until teams interview him I cannot buy into the chatter.
    Grade: Top Five – Previous Pick: Andrew Luck

2 – Denver – Patrick Peterson (CB – L.S.U.)
    Peterson is a top five talent with safety/linebacker size and strength, in a corners body. In the last 13 years of the draft I cannot find one corner prospect I like more outside of Charles Woodson and Champ Bailey. Peterson is on that shut down level as a prospect, and he is more physically opposing. A physical specimen who can blanket speed receivers and jump with the bigger receivers in the league, Peterson is everything one would want in a corner, and infuses a top five talent into the Bronco’s secondary. He very well could be the most all around talented player in this draft. The only thing that beats him on middle to long range throws is a perfect pass. Although the Bronco’s desperately need help in the along their defensive front, particularly in the middle, the change to the 4-3 should bring some help on the edge. Robert Ayers never should have been moved to OLB, and putting his hand back in the dirt should help him realize his potential and provide a natural positional fit, and Elvis Dumervil should have no problem transitioning back to the other defensive end spot. With those two already on the roster, I cannot see the Bronco’s going with Bowers, unless John Fox and Company do not have faith in Dumervil or Ayers, or are concerned with Dumervil coming off the injury... If the Panthers pass on Fairley, the Bronco’s will have to serious thinking to do, but in this mock the smart money is on Peterson. Could their public interest in Peterson just be a smoke screen? I don’t know, but I do know the value is right, if Champ Bailey leaves this could be a necessity, if not still could be warranted. Bowers makes plenty of sense, and value wise makes sense as well. The depth along the defensive line in this draft helps the Bronco’s decide to take the most talented player in the draft.
    Grade: Top Five – Previous Pick: Nick Fairley

3 – Buffalo – Cam Newton (QB – Auburn)
    The Bills went with C.J. Spiller last year in the first round, citing that he was the best player on their board, and had no character concerns, and followed the up the rest of the draft with guys with no character concerns. I would think maturity, and decision making are concerns with Quinn, and do not think Nix and Gailey would truly go with Quinn with regards to that aspect, having missed a season because of related issues. The talent and schematic versatility Quinn offers, make him a valid option, and deservedly so. Are there character concerns with Newton, whose history is spotty in this regard as well? Absolutely, not to mention you have a “meddling” father concern as well. However, there is a full year of tape with Newton, who has kept himself clean for two years now, and has a higher ceiling than any other QB in the draft at this point. His decisions regarding his father, and since leaving Florida have not been an issue, showing growth in the maturity aspect, and improved decision making. After watching the SEC championship game, some of my concerns regarding his arm have be alleviated, and his size and mobility fit what Gailey likes to have in a QB, with Fitzpatrick playing well this season, Newton would have time to develop a NFL caliber game, and work on his technique flaws, particularly throwing off his back foot and weight transfer. I am generally not a supporter of dual threat QB’s who cannot throw, but Newton’s arm impresses me the more I watch him, there are mechanical flaws for sure, but fixable and easily corrected, and I believe he is different than the rest. It is after all, a QB driven league, and can Fitzpatrick be the one to take the Bills to the promise land?. Newton is a better prospect than Vince Young in my opinion and he went third. With holes all over the place there are several directions Buffalo could go, including a trade down. I know a lot of the talk with this pick revolves around Von Miller, but Cam Jordan is just what Buddy Nix looks for when drafting.
    Grade: Top Five – Previous Pick: Cam Newton

4 – Cincinnati – Blaine Gabbert (QB – Mizzu)
    I don’t like to project personnel moves, but I just have the feeling Carson Palmer (retirement) is done in Cincinnati, one way or another, which is too bad, because I think Jay Gruden the west coast offense, A.J. Green and Co. would have been an ideal situation for him next year. Alas, it is now the Jordan Palmer or Dan LeFevour show… That’s not good, and outside of maybe taking Christian Ponder later, Gabbert might be the best option right now moving forward at the QB spot through the draft, and outside of free agency. A.J. Green still makes a lot of sense but without a franchise type QB, it would be a long 2011 (if there is a season), and how much hope would there be for the future?
    Grade: 1st-2nd Round – Previous Pick: A.J. Green

5 – Arizona – A.J. Green (WR – Georgia)
    This pick might be surprising to most, so here it is. For me, it comes down to, A.J. Green, Robert Quinn, Von Miller and Prince Amukamara, Green was the only one with a top five grade, so BAM! If Skelton, Hall or whomever does not show improvement, they can start over next year, without reaching this year for a QB, giving their man this year every opportunity to prove himself. Quinn and Miller would upgrade the pass rush, but Quinn’s year off is a major red flag, Miller is climbing boards and becoming the darling of the draft community, but is not a top five value, and Prince opposite Cromartie sure would be nice and will merit plenty of consideration, but again not a top five value yet. I would look for Arizona to trade down in the current situation, but if forced to stay, I think they take the value, giving the QB of the future another stud at wide out, and possibly opening the door for a potential (although doubtful) Larry Fitzgerald trade…
    Grade: Top Five – Previous Pick: Prince Amukamara

6 – Cleveland – Da’Quan Bowers (DE – Clemson)
    Dick Jauron means a 4-3 in Cleveland, who is now razor thin in the personnel department upfront. Who leaves for free agency? Who does the franchise really want back? How does Browns brass pass on the only top 5 DE in the draft at the 6th spot when it fills a huge hole? They don’t, and make the smart pick.
    Grade: Top 5 – Previous Pick: Justin Blackmon

7 – San Francisco – Prince Amukamara (CB – Nebraska)
    Prince Amukamara was rarely targeted by opposing offenses, who avoided him like a plague last year. Great anticipation and instincts, smooth athletically, with the ability to play man and zone, and an ability support the run make the mature fringe top five value a corner stone of the 49ers for the next decade. Robert Quinn and Von Miller would be fantastic upgrades to the pass rush for the 49ers, but Amukamara being the best value makes him the pick.
    Grade: Top Ten – Previous Pick: Robert Quinn

8 – Tennessee – Robert Quinn (DE – U.N.C.)
    Quinn’s talent is undeniable, how much will a year off, and maturity issues drop him in the draft? I don’t know, for me it is out of the top five and to Tennessee at eight, right now. I am sure Quinn will light up the combine, and show that he is still an athletic specimen. It’s his team interviews, and public interviews I want to hear about. Has he matured? Is money and fame a primary concern for Quinn? Did he just get caught up in something? Will there be a Dez Bryant affect? We will know more after the combine, right now Quinn helps put pressure on Manning, Schaub, and Garrard, is a big time priority, and Quinn could potentially be the best at it in this draft. With no franchise QB of value at this spot, the Titans look to go BPA.
    Grade: Top Ten – Previous Pick: Ryan Mallett

9 – Dallas – Marcell Dareus (DE/DT – Alabama)
    With the potential secondary help gone, and no offensive lineman worthy of this pick, the Boys look to upgrade the defensive front with Dareus who very likely could not even be here when the Cowboys pick. Dareus when healthy can take over a game, and experience in a 3-4 will allow for a smooth transition. I truly believe that Dallas will make every effort to trade up and snag Peterson or Amukamara, with their situation at corner being fairly bleak as Newman turns 33 in September, and Jenkins has regressed.
    Grade: Top Ten – Previous Pick: Macell Dareus

10 – Washington – Jake Locker (QB – Washington)
    The Redskins desperately need help on the defensive front; pieces that fit the 3-4 would help, DE, NT, and OLB. Julio Jones could really be the weapon McNabb needs, but how long will he be around? I’m was guessing not past next year at this time during my last mock, and now feel comfortable saying that McNabb will not be part of this team if there is a next year. While having next to no production in 2010, Locker will have one more chance to raise his stock at the combine, and having by all accounts made a B line straight for Locker at the Senior Bowl, this pick continues to make sense for the Skins. Locker has a big arm and is mobile, two attributes Shanahan loves in QB’s. Honestly watching the Redskins this past year, I would take Cameron Jordan or Von Miller, but I think Shanahan will lobby hard for Locker, and get what he wants, rather than what is best for the franchise. If they would have taken him at 4 last year as reports have indicated, what would hold them back from taking him at 10 this year?
    Grade: 2nd – 1st Round – Previous Pick: Jake Locker

11 – Houston – Von Miller (OLB – Texas A & M)
    Houston’s change to the 3-4 brings two clear needs, one is along the defensive line, where they seem to have pieces that can fit, or could be a temporary fix. The other need is at OLB, particularly a pass rusher. Miller quickly became one of the darlings of the Senior Bowl, and easily could go earlier than this. Cam Jordan would also make sense, but with capable transition pieces along the defensive line, Miller makes the most sense, and has equal value.
    Grade: Top Ten – Previous Pick: Adrian Clayborn

12 – Minnesota – Cameron Jordan (DE – California)
    If Von Miller was the darling of the Senior Bowl, Jordan was darling 1B, nearly un-blockable throughout the week. Jordan should be gone by now, but is not, and the Vikings get a supreme value pick at 12. A stout run defender, Jordan has a variety of pass rush moves, and despite not being the ideal fit for the 4-3 base defense Minnesota runs, is an upgrade along the defensive line. If they decide to go with a scheme specific fit, Adrian Clayborn would make sense. All things considered and with no quarterbacks worthy of this pick, the Vikings make the smart pick. I would fully expect Minnesota to look into trading down if this scenario panned out, picking up a third that they gave to New England for nothing, and landing a player they need at a better value. I would not be surprised to see them take a tackle in this spot, but again, Jordan’s value is too much to pass up.
    Grade: Top Ten – Previous Pick: DaQuan Bowers

13 – Detroit – Derek Sherrod (LT – Miss. St.)
    I have Sherrod as my top rated LT prospect in this draft, he has stoned the best pass rushers in the SEC this year, gets a push in the run game, and knows how and when to move to the second level. While not on the elite level as many of the LT’s from the last few drafts, Sherrod in my opinion is a legit top 15 talent with the ability to come in and start immediately. The most mature and well rounded tackle in the class, Sherrod has the proven ability to come in and protect Matthew Stafford, while being able to help the run game as well. Not the best tackle at the senior bowl, but solid and steady with 36 consecutive starts at left tackle.
    Grade: 1st Round – Previous Pick: Patrick Peterson

14 – St. Louis – Julio Jones (WR – Alabama)
    Sam Bradford has a bunch of nice targets with good upside, none of whom project to be a #1 receiver. Not the fastest receiver on the field, Jones is strong, has good size and has been consistent against top competition. Jones should be a better pro than collegiate receiver playing with an elite level QB like Bradford. I see Jones comparing favorably with Eric Moulds, and providing Bradford with a truly talented pass catcher to grow with. The Rams could look in several other directions, none of which however provide them with the value that Julio Jones does.
    Grade: 1st Round – Previous Pick: Allen Bailey

15 – Miami – Mark Ingram (RB – Alabama)
    This is a no-brainer with no QB, interior offensive lineman of relevance or value available.
    Grade: 1st Round – Previous Pick: Kyle Rudolph

16 – Jacksonville – Aldon Smith (DE – Mizzu)
    Gene Smith has a history of taking the best player available, and although many do not agree with his rankings, I think at his point he will have Aldon Smith as his BPA, and snatch him up before the Patriots can with their next pick. There are more questions than answers at defensive end on the Panthers defensive front, and Smith has the work ethic, and attitude that Gene Smith likes, not to mention a world of upside.
    Grade: 1st Round – Previous Pick: Rahim Moore

17 – New England (via Oakland) – Ryan Kerrigan (OLB – Purdue)
    Kerrigan’s tenacity and all out effort reminds me of Mike Vrabel, and with Aldon Smith off the board becomes the rest pass rusher available. New England could opt to go for DE J.J. Watt, but I think Kerrigan will be higher on their board given the need for a pass rusher. Of course the Pat’s could always trade down…
    Grade: 1st Round, Previous Pick: Derek Sherrod

18 – San Diego – Justin Houston (OLB – Georgia)
    Larry English is looking like a bust, and the Chargers will look for the next candidate to provide them with a pass rush. I am not sure why more people are not talking about Houston who has fantastic size at 6’3” and 258 pounds, plays in a 3-4, is capable in run support and in coverage, and knows how to get after the QB. His measurables might not be the greatest, but Boss Bailey’s were and look at the phenomenal career he had… Akeem Ayers has all the physical tools in the world, but are his instincts at the level they need to be?
    Grade: 1st Round, Previous Pick: Justin Houston

19 – N.Y.G. – Gabe Carimi (T – Wisconsin)
    Might not be a true LT, but could be the road grinder at RT who can help the run game, and handle pass protection on the strong side. However Carimi was a 4 year starter, who was a key piece of a high powered offense. With the Giants starting tackles getting into their 30’s, question marks behind them, and Carimi’s long term potential to play left tackle while being immediately able to step in on the right side, Carimi offers long and short term ability. My second rated tackle, Carimi like Sherrod has a sound body of work, and does not have the bust potential many in this tackle class offer.
    Grade: 1st Round, Previous Pick: Aaron Williams

20 – Tampa Bay – Adrian Clayborn (DE – Iowa)
    Adrian Clayborn is the type of player with a non-stop motor that has the ability to play the run and rush the passer consistently. Clayborn is able to shed blocks, uses his eyes, hands and feet well to work through traffic, understands leverage and containment principals, and his initial punch is strong enough to keep blockers off him. His best fit is in a 4-3 front, and is a top ten type talent. Erb’s palsey is a concern and may cause him to fall in the draft, but his consistent effort, and overall ability will enhance an already up and coming Tampa Bay defensive line.
    Grade: 1st round, Previous Pick: Ryan Kerrigan

21 – Kansas City – Phil Taylor (NT – Baylor)
    I was really stuck with this pick… Jon Baldwin has dropped as I see it into the second round, I don’t see any receivers of comparable value at this spot, and all the other players who are great fits are already off the board. If Houston or Kerrigan were available I would think that the Chiefs would be all over them. Ayers is too soft in my opinion. The Chiefs could go RT, but I don’t like the value or fit, as the remaining tackle prospects are second values in my opinion. So I looked at other needs, a nose tackle would certainly round out the up and coming defensive line. Kyle Rudolph and Tony Moeaki (man did I miss the boat on him last year) would give the Chiefs a Patriots style tight end duo, but is not a huge need either. Then there is the issue at center, where Wiegmann is 38 next year, and Steve Wisniewski sure would make a lot of practical sense. I have a 1st round grade on Taylor and Rudolph, and a 2nd – 1st on Wisniewski. Pioli likes to load up on the defensive side of the ball, so Taylor gets the nod with Pioli not being afraid to pull the trigger on his man no matter the position on the board. Trading down for K.C. like many other teams makes a lot of sense in this situation as well.
    Grade: 1st Round, Previous Pick: Jonathan Baldwin

22 – Indianapolis – Nate Solder (LT – Colorado)
    Despite myself not being on the Solder train yet, I can see him going in the first round. The two time All-Big Twelve, All-American left tackle has plenty of good tape, and certainly fits the bill athletically, as well as mentally. The Colts have to protect Manning if they want to compete for the Super Bowl before the hall of famer hangs up the cleats. Solder has rare athleticism for a man of his stature, and having allowed just 2 sacks and 3 pressures in nearly 400 plays this year says a lot, as does beating out Okung (6th overall in the 2010 draft) and Williams (4th overall in 2010) for the conference offensive lineman of the year.
    Grade: 1st – 2nd, Previous Pick: Demarcus Love

23 – Philadelphia – Jimmy Smith (CB – Colorado)
    I have Smith as my third rated corner, more of a press man corner than zone, but he is more than capable in zone, and capable of improving in this area. Allowed 11 catches over his last two seasons while in man coverage, only one for a first down, and last year was thrown at 20 times with 5 deflections, and one touchdown allowed. Great size, and if he runs a 4.35 like Colorado reported he did, could be long gone before Philly is on the clock. Smith is a willing and capable run defender, who was avoided like a plague while at Colorado.
    Grade: 1st Round, Previous Pick: Brandon Harris

24 – New Orleans – J.J. Watt (DE – Wisconsin)
    A heart and soul type player, Wyatt has a non-stop motor, natural understanding of the game, and is flexible in his ability to play odd and even fronts. Watt fits the Saints profile of bigger, well rounded defensive ends and should be a great compliment to Will Smith. A defensive tackle for the Saints to pair with Ellis makes plenty of sense, if there is no DE worthy of this pick.
    Grade: 1st Round, Previous Pick: Bruce Carter

25 – Seattle – Brandon Harris (CB – Miami)
    Harris is a versatile all around corner. Harris does everything well in coverage, has good instincts, a genuine passion for the game, is coachable, and has a non-stop motor. A willing tackler, with a solid overall skill set, and accepts accountability for his play. Harris is arguably the BPA available and fills a huge need for Seattle, killing two birds with one stone.
    Grade: 1st Round, Previous Pick: Julio Jones

26 – Baltimore – Cameron Heyward (DE – O.S.U.)
    A 5 technique with the skill set that the Ravens love. Good strength, long, with very good athleticism, and a good work ethic. Heyward can play two gaps, showing good containment discipline and the ability to crash down on inside running plays. My concerns with him are consistency, getting off blocks, getting his hands up when he cannot defeat the blocker in front of him, staying low and using proper leverage, and when anchoring on double teams. Heyward is very well conditioned, with a good motor and clearly a very good talent, who is coachable and will help the Ravens front seven. A #1 corner is needed, but I don’t see one that warrants this pick, and Heyward will provide some balance opposite Ngata along the defensive line. If the Ravens fall in love with, a corner they might pull the trigger on the need aspect, but I see the rest as second round talents, so for my money the value is in Heyward, and a certain GM seems to BPA, and it has worked out nicely for this franchise. With Akeem Ayers being too soft to fit in, I look at Brooks Reed as a potential compliment to Terrell Suggs as a possibility should the Ravens go in that direction, a wide receiver with speed like Torrey Smith should draw some consideration as well, but again, in the BPA department Heyward is the pick.
    Grade: 1st, Previous Pick: Cameron Heyward

27 – Atlanta – Torrey Smith (WR – Maryland)
    Smith needs work, but could be the perfect complement to Roddy White. Smith adds an explosive playmaker to the receiving core, which should open up things for White and Gonzalez. Thomas Dimitroff likes high character guys, who were team captains. Coach Friedgen raves about Smith’s character and dedication, and he was the special team’s captain for Mayland. With the run on DE’s, Smith is the type of player who should fit right into Atlanta’s drafting philosophy while filling a need.
    Grade: 2nd – 1st, Previous Pick: Cameron Jordan

28 – New England – Anthony Castonzo (T – Boston College)Smart, athletic, and physical, Castonzo could be the blindside protector that takes over for Matt Light, or he could allow Sebastian Vollmer to slide over to LT, and take over the right side. Either way Castonzo offers versatility, even showing during the senior bowl that he can play guard.
    Grade: 2nd – 1st, Previous Pick: Aldon Smith

29 – Chicago – Tyron Smith (LT – U.S.C.)
    The Bears need help along the offensive line, no doubt about it. Kreutz is declining, Chris Williams has not panned out at either tackle spot, and may have found a home at guard. The situation is bleak… Tyron Smith is climbing NFL draft boards rather quickly, and possesses the ability to help keep Jay Cutler upright, and word is that he will come to the combine at over 300 lbs!
    Grade: 2nd Round, Previous Pick: Nate Solder

30 – N.Y.J. – Akeem Ayers (OLB – U.C.L.A)
    The Jets are really getting long in the tooth along the defensive line, and a guy like Muhammad Wilkerson would really help add some youth. But alas, they live and die by the blitz, and are getting a little long in the tooth at outside linebacker as well. Ayers will need to develop some pass rushing moves, but will add speed and youth on the edge, and Rex Ryan should be able to help bring out the inner beast in Ayers.
    Grade: 1st – 2nd, Previous Pick: Von Miller

31 – Pittsburgh – Aaron Williams (CB – Texas)
    All around technique combined with good size, Williams is able to play the run and pass well, Williams is too much to pass up at this point, especially with offenses spreading it out more and more now-a-days. Williams plays with pride, has fluid hips, natural athleticism, a smooth backpedal, and is quick and coachable. Williams is one of two first round values left on my board, so considering the need opposite Ike Taylor and talent/value Williams offers it’s a good fit. Like many others on this board I want them to reunite the Pouncey brothers, but watching the Packers spread the Steelers out in the Super Bowl, I would have to believe getting another quality corner is a bigger priority.
    Grade: 1st, Previous Pick: J.J. Watt

32 – Green Bay – Brooks Reed (OLB – Arizona)
    Teaming Reed with Matthews just makes sense, and would give offensive coordinators and quarterbacks alike nightmares. I could see the Packers going with a guard, tackle, receiver or corner, but with little on the value front, and the lack of potential 3-4 OLB’s in the second round, and value at other positions later in the draft, the Pack upgrade the pass rush.
    Grade: 2nd, Previous Pick: Akeem Ayers

2nd Round

33 – New England (via Carolina) – Stefan Wisniewski (C/G – Penn St.)After almost pulling the trigger on Wisniewski with the 28th pick, the Pat’s are relieved he is still there at pick 33. Offering flexibility in being able to play both guard and center, Wisniewski can provide depth, and spot start immediately, one day taking over Koppen.
    Grade: 2nd-1st, Previous Pick: Mark Ingram

34 – Buffalo – Kyle Rudolph (TE – Notre Dame)
    Bills TE’s last year: 23 catches, 1 TD. Gailey has had success with TE’s in the past, and prefers ones that can block and receive, making Rudolph a perfect fit. Would have gone in the first round had he not sustained a season ending injury. Value pick.
    Grade: 1st, Previous Pick: Gabe Carimi

35 – Cincinnati – Mike Pouncey (G – Florida)
    Cincinnati grabbed the QB of the future in the first round, now it’s time to protect him, enhancing the running game does not hurt.
    Grade: 2nd-1st, Previous Pick: Marcus Cannon

36 – Denver – Stephen Paea (DT – Oregon St.)
    Having gone BPA in round one the Bronco’s look to upgrade the defensive line with the BPA in round 2. Paea has the strength to hold up at the point of attack and natural ability to help Denver’s run D.
    Grade: 1st – 2nd, Previous Pick: Stephen Paea

37 – Cleveland – Corey Luiget (DT – Illinois)
    Changing scheme’s means new personnel, and Luiget gives the Browns a great piece with Bowers.
    Grade: 1st-2nd, Previous Pick: Janoris Jenkins

38 – Arizona – Martez Wilson (LB – Illinois)
    One of the underrated pass rusher in this draft IMO, Wilson infuses youth into an aging pass rush from either the OLB or ILB. Able to play any LB spot effectively.
    Grade: 1st-2nd, Previous Pick: Anthony Castonzo

39 – Tennessee – Ryan Mallett (QB – Arkansas)
    With Vince Young and Jeff Fisher out, a franchise caliber QB is needed, and Mallett has the tools. Although I do believe Ponder at this point is a legit option as well.
    Grade: 2nd, Previous Pick: Stefen Wisniewski

40 – Dallas – Rahim Moore (FS – U.C.L.A.)
    Dallas needs secondary help and takes the best player available on the back end.
    Grade:1st-2nd, Previous Pick: Mark Barron

41 – Washington – Jonathan Baldwin (WR – Pitt)
    Despite needing refinement and polish, the Skins take Baldwin with Shanahan having visions of his next Brandon Marshall. Muhammad Wilkerson, Christian Ballard, or a guard like Cannon is who I would go with, but like in round one, Shanny gets his guy. With Santa Moss leaving the cupboard is bare at WR.
    Grade:1st – 2nd, Previous Pick: Michael Floyd

42 – Houston – Brandon Burton (CB – Utah)
    Houston still needs help in the secondary if they wish to truly compete in the AFC South.
    Grade: 2nd, Previous Pick: Brandon Burton

43 – Minnesota – Christian Ponder (QB – Florida St.)
    Ponder has elevated his stock back into the second round IMO, and Minnesota needs a QB of the future.
    Grade: 2nd, Previous Pick: Christian Ponder

44 – Detroit – Bruce Carter (LB – U.N.C.)
    I wanted to go with Quan Sturdivant to give some flexibility in the LB core, but the Lions take a gamble and roll the dice on Carter, who was a first rounder before the ACL injury. Carter is a work out freak, who will do everything it takes to get back on the field.
    Grade: 2nd, Previous Pick: Greg Jones

45 – San Francisco – Danny Watkins (G – Baylor)
    With limited value at positions of need, the 49ers look to continue upgrading the offensive line with the mature Watkins, whose work ethic will blend right in with Coach Harbaugh.
    Grade: 2nd Round, Previous Pick: Jimmy Smith

46 – Denver (via Miami) – Marcus Cannon (T/G – T.C.U.)
    Will Ryan Harris be back? Injuries and contract demands lead me to say no. Cannon’s athleticism, size and flexibility make him a solid pick. Cannon reminds me of Jeff Otah coming out.
    Grade: 2nd, Previous Pick: Dontay Moch

47 – St. Louis – Allen Bailey (DE – Miami)
    Spag’s Tuck Jr. Can move inside on passing downs and handle the run from his DE spot on running downs. An athletic freak who will go higher than I believe his on field ability should.
    Grade: 3rd, Previous Pick: Drake Nevis

48 – Oakland – Benjamin Ijalana (G/T – Villanova)
    Oakland needs help at center, but would have to reach on O’Dowd, so they go with Ijalana, who I think will be at his best at guard, but could play tackle as well, offering flexibility to go with value at this spot.
    Grade: 2nd, Previous Pick: Mike Pouncey

49 – Jacksonville – Quinton Carter (S – Oklahoma)
    Jacksonville desperately needs help in the secondary, and Carter offers flexibility being able to play either safety spot. Capable in run support, and very good in coverage.
    Grade: 2nd, Previous Pick: DeAndre McDaniel

50 – San Diego – Muhammad Wilkerson (DE/DT – Temple)
    5 technique of the future? Upgrade along the defensive line? I think so. Best available player doesn’t hurt either.
    Grade: 2nd-1st, Previous Pick: Jerrel Jernigan

51 – Tampa Bay – Jabaal Sheard (DE – Pitt.)
    Tampa stock piled DT’s last year in the draft, and this year they do the same at DE. Sheard stepped up last season for the Panthers and a starting dline of Price, McCoy, Clayborn and Sheard will be devastating in the near future, especially with the depth behind them.
    Grade: 2nd-3rd, Previous Pick: Shane Vereen

52 – N.Y.G. – Mikel LeShoure (RB – Illinois)
    Giants Brass is not going to allow a talent like LeShoure to get by them in the second round. Bye Brandon Jacobs and inflated contract, hello Mikel LeShoure, who will compliment Ahmad Bradshaw.
    Grade: 2nd -1st, Previous Pick: Kris O’Dowd

53 – Indianapolis – Rodney Hudson (G/C – F.S.U.)
    Indianapolis needs to continue to upgrade the offensive line. Hudson could be their center of the future, while helping out at guard in the short term.
    Grade: 2nd, Previous Pick: Benjamin Ijalana

54 – Philadelphia – Greg Jones (OLB – Michigan St.)
    I believe Jones will be a better OLB in the NFL, than ILB in college, and will replace Ernie Simms from day one. Very instinctual defender.
    Grade: 2nd, Previous Pick: Rodney Hudson

55 – Kansas City – Leonard Hankerston (WR – Miami)
    A compliment to Bowe and McCluster, Hankerston could be an ideal #2 WR. Best value for need.
    Grade: 2nd, Previous Pick: Jeremy Beal

56 – New Orleans – Mason Foster (OLB – Washington)
    Foster is one of the best pure tacklers in the draft, a capable blitzer, whose head is always on a swivel. Drake Nevis will be tough to pass up, but an upgrade at LB is very much warranted.
    Grade: 2nd – 3rd, Previous Pick: Marvin Austin

57 – Seattle – Demarcus Love (T/G – Arkansas)
    Seattle could use some reinforcements along the offensive line, and despite his stock falling recently, Love can play RT and G, allowing for flexibility along the Seahawks offensive line.
    Grade: 3rd-2nd, Previous Pick: Greg Romeus

58 – Baltimore – Jerrell Jernigan (WR – Troy)
    Jernigan will add some much needed explosiveness to the Ravens receiving core, even if it is just from the slot. With age and free agency playing a role in Baltimore at receiver, receiver could be a huge need.
    Grade: 2nd, Previous Pick: Ras-I Dowling

59 – Atlanta – Sam Acho (DE – Texas)
    Another former team captain, Acho has the non-stop motor, and work ethic the Falcons love. The value might not be there, but pass rushers are flying out the door in this draft and the Falcons get a guy who fits their character profile, and meets a need at a premium position.
    Grade: 2nd-3rd, Previous Pick: Matt Reynolds

60 – New England – Christian Ballard (DE/DT – Iowa)
    The Pats commit a draft “Robbery” that would make the “Snitchuation” proud. I know…
    Grade: 2nd, Previous Pick: Christian Ballard

61 – San Diego (via N.Y.J.) – Titus Young (WR – Boise St.)
    Even with Vincent Jackson coming back, the Chargers could use stand an explosive playmaker into the receiving core, and having addressed the defense already with the first two picks, the Chargers give Rivers a weapon to play with.
    Grade: 2nd, Previous Pick: Jerrel Jernigan

62 – Chicago – Drake Nevis (DT – L.S.U.)
    Although a G/C type like John Moffitt is probably needed more, but Jerry Angelo cannot help himself and has to pick a defensive lineman in the first two rounds.
    Grade: 2nd, Previous Pick: Deunta Williams

63 – Pittsburgh – Marcus Gilbert (T – Florida)
    Pittsburgh could use help at both tackle spots, Gilbert has the footwork to succeed on either side, work ethic to improve regardless, and size Pittsburgh likes in its tackles. I could see Gilbert being high on Tomlin’s list given his background.
    Grade: 3rd, Previous Pick: Davon House

64 – Green Bay – Cecil Shorts III (WR – Mount Union)
    Will Driver retire? Will “Mr. Consistancy” James Jones be around next year? Despite playing D3 ball, Shorts has pro-game, and can run the route tree as well as anyone in this draft, and can play all the split, flanker or slot positions. My most under rated prospect of this draft, Shorts will need some time to adjust to the pro-game, but once he does, he should become a weapon Rodgers can lean on for some time.
    Grade: 3rd, Previous Pick: Lee Ziemba

3rd Round

65 – Carolina – Quan Sturdivant (LB – U.N.C.)Whether Sturdivant allows Beason to move outside, or moves outside himself, Carolina’s front 7 gets another significant upgrade. Versatile and constant, Sturdivant is a productive leader.
    Grade: 3rd

66 – Cincinnati – Jurrell Casey (DT – U.S.C.)
    Casey provides insurance along the interior of the Bengals defensive line long term, and short term depth at worst.
    Grade: 2nd – 3rd

67 – Denver – Mark Herzlich (OLB – B.C.)
    I am not sure who will be playing LB next to D.J. Williams next year, but even despite not being the Herzlich of old, he is an upgrade over current options as I see it, and allows Denver to get better at all three levels of the defense so far in this draft.

68 – Buffalo – Kelvin Sheppard (ILB – L.S.U.)
    Buffalo was hoping a defensive lineman of value would be available to help out the run, there is not, so opt for the ILB who has the football IQ and new found bulk to help the run D.

69 – Arizona – Jeremy Beal (OLB – Oklahoma)
    Washington, Wilson inside, Beal and Schofield outside is a nice looking future at the linebacker position. Beal does not have ideal measurables, but is a productive player on the field.

70 – Cleveland – Nate Irving (LB – N.C. St.)
    With the transition to the 4-3, I am not sure how the Browns LB situation is going to play out, but I think Irving can come in from day one and make an impact, most likely inside.
    Grade: 3rd – 2nd

71 – Dallas – Davon House (CB – New Mexico St.)
    Dallas needs help on the island, and House has the skill set and short term memory to become a productive starter sooner rather than later.
    Grade: 2nd

72 – New Orleans (via Washington) – Dontay Moch (OLB – Nevada)
    Greg Williams should find a home for Moch to make plays, whether it be from the weak side, defensive end in pass rushing situations, or whatever the case maybe.
    Grade: 2nd -3rd

73 – Houston – Ahmad Black (S – Florida)
    Houston continues to upgrade its defensive secondary.
    Grade: 2nd - 3rd

74 – New England (via Minnesota) – Clint Boling (G/T – Georgia)
    One way or another, the future of the offensive line is looking up with this draft. Boling provides a potential starting right guard and depth at tackle.

75 – Detroit – John Moffitt (G/C – Wisconsin)
    Moffitt offers flexibility in being able to start at guard and shift over to center if the need arises. Grade: 2nd – 3rd

76 – San Francisco – Andy Dalton (QB – T.C.U.)
    Dalton is a smart QB, with a natural understanding of the game, who just wins and shows up game in and game out, and has great accuracy. A prospect coach Harbaugh can work with.
    Grade: 3rd – 4th

77 – Tennessee – Will Rackley (G – Lehigh)
    The former Patriot league star at tackle slides inside giving Mallett the guard he needs in pass pro, and helps in the running game with a relentless style that will fit in well with what coach Munchak wants to do.

78 – St. Louis – Ryan Williams (RB – Va. Tech.)
    St. Louis would love to upgrade elsewhere but Williams is high on their board and could be the transition back that helps extend Jackson’s career, and allows for a smooth transition into the future.

79 – Miami – Edmond Gates (WR - Abilene Christian)
    A deep threat opposite Brandon Marshall only opens up the passing game, and dictates some coverage. Colin Kaepernick makes sense as does a center, but I have Gates rated higher at this point.

80 – Jacksonville – Curtis Brown (CB – Texas)
    Brown should be able to contribute in nickel and dime packages immediately, and in time form a solid one – two punch with Derek Cox in the future. Rashean Mathis will be 31 heading into next season, and you can never have enough good DB’s playing against P. Manning.
    Grade: 2nd

81 – Oakland – Kristofer O’Dowd (C – U.S.C.)
    If there was ever a need pick, this could be it.

82 – San Diego – James Carpenter (T – Alabama)
    One of the unheralded starts of the South’s offensive line in the senior bowl, Carpenter is a gamer with a well rounded game. Beal was off sides…

83 – N.Y.G. – Johnny Patrick (CB – Louisville)
    Capable in both man and zone coverage, Patrick can only help as teams spread it out offensively, and offers great value in the third round.

84 – Tampa Bay – Colin McCarthy (LB – Miami)
    Will Ruud go in free agency? How many LB’s with no size can one team have? McCarthy IMO can play both the Mike and Sam LB spots in a 4-3, and diversifies the Buccaneers linebacking core.

85 – Philadelphia – Jason Pinkston (T/G – Pitt.)
    The Eagles could probably upgrade the offensive line earlier in this draft, but they wait, and get Pinkston who can play RT or G for the Eagles and at worst provide solid depth.
    Grade: 4th

86 – Kansas City – Chris Carter (OLB – Fresno St.)
    The 2010 WAC Defensive Player of the Year is tough and has an explosive first step. He needs to develop some pass rush and counter moves, but has great speed off the edge. Reports are that he is up to 247 and has kept his speed. Could be a diamond in the rough, and provide a pass rush opposite Hali.
    Grade: 4th – 3rd

87 – Indianapolis – Randall Cobb (WR – Kentucky)
    Having addressed the offensive line already in the draft, they would be shocked to see Cobb sitting there in the third round, and would be wise to quickly grab him.

88 – New Orleans – Jarvis Jenkins (DT – Clemson)
    Having already upgraded the defense significantly, the Saints continue to do so, and add a stout run defender to pair with Ellis, allowing some flexibility on the interior of their defensive line.

89 – San Diego (via Seattle) – Jerrell Powe (NT – Ole. Miss.)
    San Diego continues to strengthen its front seven. Although Powe may never be more than a run stuffer, that’s all he needs to be.

90 – Baltimore – Ras-I Dowling (CB – Virginia)
    Dowling infuses some size into the Ravens cornerbacks. Can convert over to safety in time, if need be. Dowling drops in this mock due to his injury last year, and like usual the Ravens grab the BPA, and one who also fills a need.
    Grade: 2nd -3rd

91 – Atlanta – Luke Stocker (TE – Tennessee)
    Although not the receiving threat T-Gonz was, Stocker is a reliable pass catcher, and a big target. A capable blocker, with things to work on, Stocker will have a year of development behind T-Gonz, that should do wonders for his professional career. After Kyle Rudolph, the most well rounded TE in the draft.

92 – New England – Greg Little (WR – U.N.C.)
    A risky pick for the character conscious Patriots, but the added physicality and size he brings to the Patriots receiving core can only enhance it, and add a unique dimension to it. A bit of a gamble, but in reality the Pats have already traded down three times have two picks in each of the first three rounds of the 2012 draft, landed all the same players, and can take a risk.

93 – Chicago – Curtis Marsh (CB – Utah St.)
    An all around athlete, whose best days are ahead of him. Marsh has natural instincts that should allow him to play zone effectively, and he has the hips and size to be an effective man corner in press coverage.

94 – N.Y.J. – Kendrick Ellis (NT – Hampton)
    Red flags? Rex Ryan could care less, although he certainly cares about the hole in the middle of his defensive line.

95 – Pittsburgh – Lawrence Guy (DE – Arizona St.)
    Guy can learn the technique he needs from some of the best in the business, and one day take over for them. Has the skill set to be an effective NFL player with the right coaching.

96 – Green Bay – Kendrick Burney (CB – U.N.C.)
    Burney is one of those football players who just plays the game, and understands it naturally. Rarely out of position, Burney is physical, and in a passing league has true value as a nickel/dime corner who can come in a spot start if needed. Will be a special team’s demon.
    Last edited by Poz51; 02-28-2011, 09:17 AM.
    "It must be contract year!"

Deion Sanders

Torrey Smith and Sam Acho are great fits in atlanta. LOVE IT.

Sig by BK

They have one guy, hes pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too. -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Poz51 View Post
      10 Washington Jake Locker (QB Washington)
      The Redskins desperately need help on the defensive front; pieces that fit the 3-4 would help, DE, NT, and OLB. Julio Jones could really be the weapon McNabb needs, but how long will he be around? Im was guessing not past next year at this time during my last mock, and now feel comfortable saying that McNabb will not be part of this team if there is a next year. While having next to no production in 2010, Locker will have one more chance to raise his stock at the combine, and having by all accounts made a B line straight for Locker at the Senior Bowl, this pick continues to make sense for the Skins. Locker has a big arm and is mobile, two attributes Shanahan loves in QBs. Honestly watching the Redskins this past year, I would take Cameron Jordan or Von Miller, but I think Shanahan will lobby hard for Locker, and get what he wants, rather than what is best for the franchise. If they would have taken him at 4 last year as reports have indicated, what would hold them back from taking him at 10 this year?
      Grade: 2nd 1st Round Previous Pick: Jake Locker

41 Washington Jonathan Baldwin (WR Pitt)
      Despite needing refinement and polish, the Skins take Baldwin with Shanahan having visions of his next Brandon Marshall. Muhammad Wilkerson, Christian Ballard, or a guard like Cannon is who I would go with, but like in round one, Shanny gets his guy. With Santa Moss leaving the cupboard is bare at WR.
      Grade:1st 2nd, Previous Pick: Michael Floyd
      This draft would be pretty damn upsetting to me. Thats not to say that I couldn't see either pick happening, because I definitely could see arguments for both. However, I think there are equal, if not more reasonable, arguments as to why neither pick should occur.

First, Shanahan does not have a strong history of drafting WRs early. Marshall was taken in the 4th round. Unless they think an AJ Green, or Julio Jones can have an immediate impact as a rookie (which is uncommon among WRs) than I don't see the Skins pushing for any other wr early in the draft. I also believe that the odds of Santana Moss resigning are a lot higher than Carlos Rogers are this point. So if you are basing picks off of anticipated players leaving in free agency than you might reconsider moving CB up towards the top of the list. Specific to Baldwin, I don't like him. I think he is slow out of breaks, lazy, moderate at best route running, and has serious maturity concerns.

I'll admit, I'm completely confused when it comes to the Skins and Locker. The big difference between this year and last year is that last year Locker was consistently considered a top 5 pick by most draft sites and draftniks. This year, its rare to see many rankings that still have him in the top 25. I don't doubt that Shanahan is interested in Locker but I do believe that Locker still has a lot to prove before hes the Skins guy at 10. I think its more likely that the Skins consider moving up from the early 2nd round to grab locker late in the first than take him at 10. Too many other needs and too good of value available.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonRath View Post
        Torrey Smith and Sam Acho are great fits in atlanta. LOVE IT.
        I thought the Acho pick would see some resistance, but I thought it made alot of sense. What about Stocker in the 3rd?

Deion Sanders

Comment

I thought the Acho pick would see some resistance, but I thought it made alot of sense. What about Stocker in the 3rd?
          I like Luke Stocker. I wish we could get a TE like Jermichael Finley but I know they just dont come around every draft :/

Sig by BK

They have one guy, hes pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too. -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
            This draft would be pretty damn upsetting to me. Thats not to say that I couldn't see either pick happening, because I definitely could see arguments for both. However, I think there are equal, if not more reasonable, arguments as to why neither pick should occur.

First, Shanahan does not have a strong history of drafting WRs early. Marshall was taken in the 4th round. Unless they think an AJ Green, or Julio Jones can have an immediate impact as a rookie (which is uncommon among WRs) than I don't see the Skins pushing for any other wr early in the draft. I also believe that the odds of Santana Moss resigning are a lot higher than Carlos Rogers are this point. So if you are basing picks off of anticipated players leaving in free agency than you might reconsider moving CB up towards the top of the list. Specific to Baldwin, I don't like him. I think he is slow out of breaks, lazy, moderate at best route running, and has serious maturity concerns.

I'll admit, I'm completely confused when it comes to the Skins and Locker. The big difference between this year and last year is that last year Locker was consistently considered a top 5 pick by most draft sites and draftniks. This year, its rare to see many rankings that still have him in the top 25. I don't doubt that Shanahan is interested in Locker but I do believe that Locker still has a lot to prove before hes the Skins guy at 10. I think its more likely that the Skins consider moving up from the early 2nd round to grab locker late in the first than take him at 10. Too many other needs and too good of value available.
            Lol, I thought you would not like it, and I understand completely as vicarious skins fan. It was upsetting to me, and I dont like it either...
            I agree with you on Baldwin for the most part, especially the maturity concerns. I hope Moss comes back, besides some drops I thought he was thier only consistant receiver this past year, and think he needs to be brought back, and another piece added to the receiver core. I do believe however, Shanahan is more concerned with constructing his offense before putting much focus on the defense. Like I said with the Locker pick, I would go Jordan or Miller, and take Jordan and not blink. I did have thoughts of Jimmy Smith as well in regards to the cornerback situation, and if they had a third would have taken Johny Patrick.
            Im with you on the Skins and Locker situation, and ideally think trading down, or up from the second is the best way for them to land him with taking what would widely be considered a reach at this point. Not having a third will make trading up hard, and/or a expensive proposition in that it would have to involve a high first round pick next year I would think. Plus I would think someone else will be thinking the same thing, or grab him before the Skins could put it all together...
            I do agree with you on the value, and will be interested to see just how much control/influence Shanny has on the draft, which I think this draft will be very telling in that respect. I treated this mock like he does have a huge say, although I do hope that I am wrong in that respect, becuase I think a Cameron Jordan and whomever is a better combination for the future of the franchise and is a better way to approach things myself...

Deion Sanders

Comment

Originally posted by SimonRath View Post
              I like Luke Stocker. I wish we could get a TE like Jermichael Finley but I know they just dont come around every draft :/
              Agreed, and this class is very limited at TE IMO. Stocker is actually the only other TE in this class that I like at this point, beside Rudolph. The rest are limted or one dimensional (not acceptionally) IMO.

Deion Sanders

Comment

i actually really like weslyn saunders
                Last edited by SimonRath; 02-24-2011, 12:38 PM.

Sig by BK

Comment

LOVE the saints draft, dont even know what Id do differently

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                  - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                  - Corner or Wideout in the first
                  - No reaching
                  - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

Good Phins pick in the first round but not a fan of McDaniel. Bell has two more good years left in him and its looking like we are grooming Reshad Jones and Chris Clemons to be our two starting safeties for the long haul as both can play FS or SS. Would rather see Kaepernick or a speedy WR or TE there.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Allen Bailey in the second and thats great mock. Hoping we re-sign Lawson though if this was the draft.
                      San Francisco 49ers: 5 Super Bowls
                      Auburn Tigers: 2 National Championships

Comment

Really wouldn't be too mad if we went that direction again in the draft..

Iljiana and then O'Dowd could be future starters.
                        Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds
                        Coples is that dude.
                        Go Amare. I Love Tayshaun Prince...

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards

Comment

Cam Jordan is a good pick, but I am not sure about Ponder in the second, I don't think his value will be that high. I wouldn't hate it, but I might prefer a lineman like Cannon there.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
                          Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

Lol, I thought you would not like it, and I understand completely as vicarious skins fan. It was upsetting to me, and I dont like it either...

I agree with you on Baldwin for the most part, especially the maturity concerns. I hope Moss comes back, besides some drops I thought he was thier only consistant receiver this past year, and think he needs to be brought back, and another piece added to the receiver core. I do believe however, Shanahan is more concerned with constructing his offense before putting much focus on the defense.
                            Fair point with the offensive concerns. I just don't see Baldwin as a good pick. Hell I'd rather "reach" on Greg Little (not a reach imo but going by most rankings it would be). In addition to AJ Green, Julio, and Torrey Smith, I have Little, Cobb, Young, Jernigan, and Hankerson ranked ahead of Baldwin. I've been reading alot of positive things on Tandon Doss too recently who seems like a good fit.

Comment

Seattle

Like the Harris pick but would probably not be crazy about Love in the second, Boling i think would be a better choice.

Overrall this is as good a mock as i've seen

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information