S2C's 2008 NFL Mock Draft 1.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2C's 2008 NFL Mock Draft 1.0

The team's are NOT IN ANY WAY listed in order of finish. I don't necessarilly think the G-Men will have the worst record in the NFL, I just think they will need a primer RB and who better than McFadden? My mock is based on where I think each player will go in the draft and their fit to the team drafting them

Round 1
    1. NYG: Darren McFadden RB Arkansas
    I think if the Giants got the #1 pick, obviously Eli would be to blame, but they would still go with the best player in the draft, McFadden, to take pressure off Eli.

2. JAX: Andre Woodson QB Kentucky
    "You must be outside of your ******* mind," is what you are probably thinking. Here is what I am thinking. I am thinking Dre' is the most underrated player in college football. 31 TDs, 7 INTs, leading the SEC in passing yards yet people say Tim Tebow and Erik Ainge are better QBs. UK must beat UL to get on a winning streak and it is possible. I just don't see Leftwich leading the Jags anymore. I think they will regret passing on Brady Quinn.

3. MIA: Jared Gaither T Maryland
    Miami needs a bookend left tackle with good athleticism for John Beck/Daunte Culpepper. Still not over that Ginn pick. So shocking.

4. WAS: Lawrence Jackson DE Southern California
    So you rank last in the NFL in sacks, you can't stop the run, DRAFT A SAFTEY! Very Snyder-esqe. LJ is a beast and with USC going back to the 4-3 defense expect him to return to sophomore year form.

5. TEN: Mario Manningham WR Michigan
    Ted Ginn should have fallen to Tennesseee and they wouldn't have to take Manningham here, but Manningham has a lot to live up to next season.

6. BUF: Dwight Lowery CB San Jose State
    Why throw to this guy? Why? That's like kicking it to Devin Hester. Why?

7. KC: Jake Long T Michigan
    Kansas City needs to rebuild their OL. With Michigan's OL tradition you gotta love this pick.

8. NO: Glenn Dorsey DT Louisiana State
    The Saints need a player that can rush the passer from the 3 technique.

9. CIN: Dan Connor OLB Penn State
    This might be the perfect pick next year for Cincinnati.

10. DEN: Kenny Phillips S Miami
    Absolutely shocked Denver didn't even draft one safety last weekend.

The team's are NOT IN ANY WAY listed in order of finish. I don't necessarilly think the G-Men will have the worst record in the NFL, I just think they will need a primer RB and who better than McFadden? My mock is based on where I think each player will go in the draft and their fit to the team drafting them

11. BAL: Brian Brohm QB Louisville
    I just don't see Troy Smith being a starter.

12. DET: Derrick Harvey DE Florida
    I expect Harvey to absolutely blow up in 2007.

13. TB: DeSean Jackson WR California
    The Ginn comparisons will come, but I think Jackson has better hands and word is he improved his route running during spring practice. As a returner he really is a Hester/Ginn hybrid which is just scary.

14. SF (f/IND): Calais Campbell DE/OLB Miami
    San Fran is such a tough team to mock for because they now have very few needs.

15. PIT: Frank Okam DT Texas
    Tomlin is going to want a dominating tackle for his 4-3 defense.

16. DAL: Early Doucet WR Louisiana State
    Doucet is the best route runner in college football with 4.45 speed.

17. GB: Martin Rucker TE Missouri
    Green Bay will be in the market for a TE and Rucker has soft hands with and above average athleticism.

18. DAL (f/CLE): Steve Slayton RB West Virginia
    Dallas really doesn't have that home run threat in the backfield.

19. ARZ: Paul Oliver CB Georgia
    This kid just steps up in big games...and big players step up in big games.

20. OAK: Jonathan Goff ILB Vanderbilt
    He is the definition on a leader and I expect Vandy to bowl next season.

21. HOU: Marcus Monk WR Arkansas

22. NE (f/SF): Bruce Davis DE/OLB UCLA
    Never hurts to add a great athlete to a Bill Belicheck defense.

23. CAR: Sam Baker T Southern California
    A big reason Carolina struggled last year on offense was their (lack of) pass protection.

24. CHI: Keith Rivers OLB Southern California
    Lance Briggs just might hold out the entire season.

25. SD: DeMario Pressley DL North Carolina State
    Not a need, but very solid value.

26. PHI: Jasper Brinkley ILB South Carolina
    Trotter's replacement.

27. STL: Damien Williams S Oklahoma
    Rams will struggle with this position in 2007.

28. NE: Terrell Thomas CB Southern California
    You can never be too talented and too deep at this position.

29. MIN: Will Arnold G Louisiana State
    He would anchor the right guard position and immediately be the best guard tandem in the NFL with Hutchinson.

30. ATL: John David Booty QB Southern California
    I think this is a put up or shut up year for Michael Vick. Joe Horn was brought in to give you a legit receiving threat. If you don't step up in Petrino's system this year Petrino won't be patient like Mora was with Vick and will get his guy early in the draft (especially with Atlanta doing a great job lately in the draft).

31. NYJ: Keenan Burton WR Kentucky
    If Burton runs a good 40 (ran a 4.4 at the UK pro day) next year then he could shoot up draft boards. Great route runner, great hands, makes the big catches, a team leader.

32. SEA: Barry Richardson T Clemson
    Walter Jones is getting older, but Richardson can play either tackle position and give the line a little stability.
    Last edited by simms2clayton; 05-04-2007, 10:15 AM.

Gaither would have to have a hell of a year (or maybe even play well) to be deserving of the #3 overall pick, especially over Long or Baker.

I like Woodson #1, and if the Jags have the #2 pick it would make sense to go QB.

I don't get how you have Atlanta picking 30th and taking a QB though. If they get that far I think Vick will have to do fairly well.

Don't like Lawrence that high, certainly the potential is there though. Don't like Pressley there in a 3-4.

I'm being pretty picky though, good stuff.

That is correct comahan
    I ******* LOVE YOU DG
    <3 dg

Comment

Pretty nice.

I'd hope the Panthers would take a safety in the 1st next year since they overlooked that need in this draft entirely.

Comment

Clear homerism w/ the Woodson pick. If Brady Quinn isn't top 10 then I doubt Dre makes top 5. I do
        admit he has 1st round tools
        though.
        Did I mention I love Denvers pick?

Comment

Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
          Gaither would have to have a hell of a year (or maybe even play well) to be deserving of the #3 overall pick, especially over Long or Baker.

I like Woodson #1, and if the Jags have the #2 pick it would make sense to go QB.

I don't get how you have Atlanta picking 30th and taking a QB though. If they get that far I think Vick will have to do fairly well.

Don't like Lawrence that high, certainly the potential is there though. Don't like Pressley there in a 3-4.

I'm being pretty picky though, good stuff.
          You and I are in agreement of your criticism of my mock. I do think Gaither will have a huge season, I just feel it but maybe I am wrong.

Shocked you like Woodson as the #1 QB, I thought I would get ripped for that.

Atlanta picking 30th and taking a QB...I think JDB is a late first round, early 2nd round pick, and I could see Vick possibly not working out in Atlanta. Therefore I have Atlanta taking JDB because: 1) he fits their scheme, 2) that is where I have JDB projected. Obviously, if the Falcons have a great year they will not take a QB in the first round, unless Joey Harrington comes to the rescue. lol

Pressley in the 3-4, well, I see more of a 3rd down linemen, but also provides great depth. I mean, what if the Chargers want to eventually switch to a 4-3, then they have the versatility to do so. I think it is a smart pick with the Chargers not having that many needs right now (BUT we were saying the exact same thing about Seattle last preseason).

Comment

Originally posted by elway777 View Post
            Clear homerism w/ the Woodson pick. If Brady Quinn isn't top 10 then I doubt Dre makes top 5. I do
            admit he has 1st round tools
            though.
            Did I mention I love Denvers pick?
            Clear homerism? Absolutely, but I think I am justified in the selection and I do think he has #1 QB type talent.

I actually think Dre better QB than Brady Quinn and let me give you a little history on him in high school (we both went to North Hardin in Radcliff, KY).

Dre played in a run-oriented offense and his coaches were an absolute joke. He really learned nothing in terms of how to read defenses and understanding a passing attack. He was an extremely raw talent. He put mediocre stats because he didn't throw the ball that much and he had a poor playbook with a horrible scheme.

If Andre played for a coach that had heard of a passing game and knew what it was I guarantee he would have been the #1 QB in the country. He went to a few summer camps and was invited to the Elite 11. Scouts saw his great arm, accuracy, size, and poise in the pocket. His footwork was a little erratic and he couldn't make reads on a defense and he used to have a hitch in his throw.

Rivals ranked him as the #7 QB in the country, ahead of Brady Quinn. Now, going to Notre Dame, your name is going to get out there a little better than an under-developed QB that goes to a program not known for football. Andre committed to Kentucky because he wanted to play in front of his mom and he loved Guy Morriss who had been recruiting him since he was as sophomore.

Well, we had a coaching chane at UK and Rich Brooks brought on option-minded offensive coordinator Ron Hudson from Kansas State (which set the program back 2-3 years). Woodson didn't like Hudson or his offense and he was in the doghouse even as a redshirt.

Dre came out his freshmen year and tore it up when he got p.t. You could tell the players got a sense of hope when he was on the field that wasn't there with starter Shane Boyd.

Sophomore year, UK had absolutely no offensive line or running game and Andre got eaten alive by opposing defenses. He hadn't matured and wasn't a vocal leader. He wasn't taking the steps of what it takes to be a great college QB.

After the next spring practice, Curtis Pulley got the nod at 1st string QB over Woodson only because Brooks wanted to give Dre a wake up call. It worked. He found the film room and lead the receivers to unofficial passing workouts in their spare time. He became a vocal leader. Offensive Coordinator Joker Phillips swithced the scheme to more of a gun type offense to give the QB more time to throw as opposed to dropping back. It worked and we had a lot of weapons on offense. Well, the rest is history and UK has the chance in my opinion to have a big season again (I am thinking 8-4, 9-3).

If the OL can give Woodson time again in the pocket, and do a better job blocking for RB Rafael Little, then that sets up the play action for us and Woodson will really shine. A QB's best friend is a running game and vice versa. Well, last year we had no inside running game and Dre was the most productive QB in the SEC (by far).

I guarantee you, if he was playing for a team like Auburn or Arkansas then they would have had a shot at the National Title and Andre would have been in the Heisman race. Thats just the way it works.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope you don't underestimate this young man that is going to do great things in 2007.
            Last edited by simms2clayton; 04-30-2007, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Okay, I think Dre is better than Quinn (never really answered that question) because:

1. He is more accurate than Quinn
              2. Might have the best touch on the football that you will ever see-throws the perfect spiral
              3. Throws a better deep ball
              4. Is still young in terms of learning the game and has more upside

The only advantages Brady Quinn has above Dre in my opinion are that he is stronger, more mobile, and played in a very Pro-Style offense. Not that Andre doesn't, but Quinn was better coached than Andre is now. And I love UK's coaching staff, but Weis is a genius.

Comment

Alright enough with the "Quinn is inaccurate" b.s.

He was forced out of the pocket WAAAAY to often and threw a boatload of balls away because of horrid blocking.

WHere are all the LSU homers who said Quinn and Russell were "about equal" when it came to talent surrounding them ????
                Rhema McKnight and Darrius Walker both went undrafted and LSU had
                2 WR's go first round.
                Yeah they were "close".

Quinn will put Cleveland on the map and prove why he should've been a top 10 lock.

...also way to have 2 Kentucky Wildcats make the top round..hahaha
                obvious homerism going on. Especially with andre' going 2nd overall.
                Gee I wonder who your fav team is.

Comment

Niners get colts' first next year.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinmetz View Post
                    Niners get colts' first next year.
                    Really? How? I missed the end of the first round, fell asleep cause I had been up since 6:00 a.m.

Comment

Originally posted by Severe Punishment View Post
                      Alright enough with the "Quinn is inaccurate" b.s.

He was forced out of the pocket WAAAAY to often and threw a boatload of balls away because of horrid blocking.

WHere are all the LSU homers who said Quinn and Russell were "about equal" when it came to talent surrounding them ????
                      Rhema McKnight and Darrius Walker both went undrafted and LSU had
                      2 WR's go first round.
                      Yeah they were "close".

Quinn will put Cleveland on the map and prove why he should've been a top 10 lock.

...also way to have 2 Kentucky Wildcats make the top round..hahaha
                      obvious homerism going on. Especially with andre' going 2nd overall.
                      Gee I wonder who your fav team is.
                      I think Quinn is a great QB and Cleveland was genius to go with Thomas first then trade up to get Quinn.

Secondly, you have to factor in TE John Carlson (probably a 2nd rounder in 2008) and Samardzija who would have been a 1st/2nd rounder in this draft when comparing talent surround both QBs. The OL and RBs though obviously go to Russell.

Get used to teh UK homerism, will be the most anticipated season in UK history so you will hear a lot from me. But Dre' and Burton have that potential.

Comment

Carlson was a reach. But okay. You're saying that Carlson is now he equivilant of 2 1st round WR's ? come on.
                        And Shark was a late 2nd at best. He doesn't have sub 4.6 speed and
                        was a "poor man's" Dwayne Jarrett.

It's not just the OL and RB...how about the DEFENSE the special teams, the WR's ....every facet of LSU being the superior talent laden program isn't even debateable.

If potential were gold nuggets then the Vikings would have a stadium full
                        of lombardi trophies. Seriously, it's nice to have reason for excitement ..just don't let it cloud your judgement of what's attainable.

LSU, Texas, Miami (FL) , Michigan and USC are clearly the top 5 schools going into this year.

Comment

30. ATL: John David Booty QB Southern California
                          I think this is a put up or shut up year for Michael Vick. Joe Horn was brought in to give you a legit receiving threat. If you don't step up in Petrino's system this year Petrino won't be patient like Mora was with Vick and will get his guy early in the draft (especially with Atlanta doing a great job lately in the draft).
                          you are an idiot. we will not take a QB at all. we don't need a QB. Vick will be fine this year. Atlanta does not need a ******* QB. dude, and if we are at #30 it's because Vick did something right. so yeah, you are an idiot if you think we need a QB. look at LT or NT or even a LB.

Owner of ScarDraft
                          Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

Comment

Great Chiefs pick

Comment

Originally posted by scar988 View Post
                              you are an idiot. we will not take a QB at all. we don't need a QB. Vick will be fine this year. Atlanta does not need a ******* QB. dude, and if we are at #30 it's because Vick did something right. so yeah, you are an idiot if you think we need a QB. look at LT or NT or even a LB.
                              Thanks for reading the beginning of my mock draft I appreciate it scar. I don't necesarilllythink ATL will go like 12-4...you know what i have already expained it like 3 times.

Also: nice call this time last year u saying the Falcons wouldn't go DE or CB! Nice call.

Look at my criteria for this mock scar:

1. I think John David Booty is a late first, early second round pick CHECK
                              2. Atlanta runs a scheme that I believe Booty would fit in CHECK

I win!
                              Last edited by simms2clayton; 04-30-2007, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information