• Show
Clear All

• SportingNews AFC Guard/Center rankings

AFC Focus: Ranking the guards/centers
    Print this | E-mail this | Comments on this article: 3

Posted: June 21, 2007

SN correspondents

A quick look at how the guards and centers in the AFC stack up:

1. PATRIOTS RG Stephen Neal, C Dan Koppen and LG Logan Mankins do a great job of working combination blocks. The standout is Mankins, who has good quickness and strength.

2. CHARGERS C Nick Hardwick and LG Kris Dielman are two of the finest young interior linemen in the league. Both are tough, nasty and relentless. RG Mike Goff is underrated and consistent.

3. CHIEFS LG Brian Waters is as good as they come, and small but athletic C Casey Wiegmann fits the Chiefs' system well. RG John Welbourn has the unenviable task of replacing retired star Will Shields.

4. COLTS C Jeff Saturday made the past two Pro Bowls. RG Jake Scott and LG Ryan Lilja are adept at interior pass protection and pulling on running plays.

5. BRONCOS C Tom Nalen, 36, looked spry enough in '06 to merit Pro Bowl consideration. LG Ben Hamilton gets to the second level extremely well. Chris Kuper and Montrae Holland will compete at right guard.

6. JAGUARS RG Chris Naeole and LG Vince Manuwai helped the Jags post a franchise record in rushing yards last season. C Brad Meester is showing improvement.

7. STEELERS Pro Bowl LG Alan Faneca is unhappy about his contract. C Chukky Okobi might start over newcomer Sean Mahan. RG Kendall Simmons is inconsistent.

8. BENGALS Despite losing LG Eric Steinbach, the interior is solid. C Eric Ghiaciuc is improving, and RG Bobbie Williams is a punishing run blocker. Andrew Whitworth and Stacy Andrews are battling on the left side.

9. JETS The potential departure of LG Pete Kendall would mean a major drop-off. C Nick Mangold is an emerging star, and RG Brandon Moore does a workmanlike job.

10. BROWNS LG Eric Steinbach is a master technician. C Hank Fraley is always on top of the line calls. RG Seth McKinney missed 2006 with a neck injury.

11. TITANS C Kevin Mawae, 36, has a calming influence on a young group. LG Jacob Bell is athletic and has good feet; RG Benji Olson is more physical.

12. BILLS Free-agent pickup Derrick Dockery provides a big upgrade at left guard. Duke Preston is the favorite to win the right guard job. C Melvin Fowler has a nice feel for the game.

13. TEXANS Old pros Mike Flanagan and Steve McKinney are competing for the starting job at center. LG Chester Pitts is dependable, and RG Fred Weary is on the rise.

14. RAVENS RG Chris Chester will start until rookie Ben Grubbs is ready. Then, the Ravens would like to insert Chester for C Mike Flynn. LG Jason Brown has a huge upside.

15. DOLPHINS The team shifted Rex Hadnot to right guard to open up center for rookie Samson Satele and his nonstop motor. Aging Chris Liwienski will play left guard.

16. RAIDERS Guards Paul McQuistan and Kevin Boothe endured growing pains as rookies in '06 and could be spelled by Cooper Carlisle. Injuries and uneven play have hindered C Jake Grove's progress.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=225746

The Jaguars should have been one spot higher, and could have been as much as three spots higher.

Still, good place for them.

Comment

I concur..

Originally posted by Crazy_Chris
      It's just a ******* dog By Michael Vick
      Check out the Dailyer Nebraskan
      http://www.dailyernebraskan.com
      421 Witness
      756*

Comment

I guess they are still unproven but I think Baltimore should have been higher.

Comment

Casey Wiegmann doesn't really fit the Chiefs system that good he fit the DV/Saunders system great but not the power running game that Herm Edwards runs. I'm still a big fan of CW but he does get pushed around vs 3-4 teams and the bigger stronger DT's in the NFL he is still one of the better Centers in the NFL but is starting to show his age.

Comment

YEah, the Raiders are pretty bad...

Comment

Yup, that is why I get confused whenever I saw the Pats taking interior OL in lasy seasons mocks. I have even seen some day 1 guards and centers in 2008 mocks, we need CB and ILB.

Mankins is one of the best young guards in the game, Koppen needs to stay healthy but has been great when he is, and Neal has made the transition from wrestling to football and is no longer raw.

Comment

Originally posted by Phrost View Post
                YEah, the Raiders are pretty bad...
                No kidding

Comment

I don't know \who's going to be our center, but I do know that Simmons isn't our RG this season... and frankly we should have one of the best Guard tandems in the AFC.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

If Shaffer starts at RT then Ryan Tucker will move to RG making the Steinbach/Fraley/Tucker trio a formidable threesome on the Browns' interior line. But they were right to assume McKinney as the RG, most people think Shaffer won't start.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
                      I don't know \who's going to be our center, but I do know that Simmons isn't our RG this season... and frankly we should have one of the best Guard tandems in the AFC.
                      Yeah, what's the deal with that? Is Mahan gonna be the RG or C? Is Colon gonna start? What's the dealio in Pittsburgh?

Comment

if the vikings only had a right guard... they would be top 5

Comment

Originally posted by yo123 View Post
                          if the vikings only had a right guard... they would be top 5
                          If only the vikings were in the AFC, they might be on the list.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
                            If only the vikings were in the AFC, they might be on the list.

if only i took the time to read through the first post maybe I wouldnt look like a moron right now.

Comment

I'd say the Bills are right where they should be. Good read.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information