• Show
Clear All

• SportingNews NFC Guard/Center rankings

NFC Focus: Ranking the guards/centers
    Print this | E-mail this | Comments on this article: 4

Posted: June 22, 2007

SN correspondents

A quick look at how the guards and centers in the NFC stack up:

1. BEARS Six-time Pro Bowl C Olin Kreutz anchors the line and the locker room. LG Ruben Brown continues to enjoy a career renaissance at 35. RG Roberto Garza is physical and has good range.

2. VIKINGS At their positions, LG Steve Hutchinson and C Matt Birk are two of the smartest players in the game. RG Artis Hicks returns as the starter but might be best suited as a utility backup.

3. GIANTS LG Rich Seubert is finally healthy, and RG Chris Snee has outstanding strength and speed. C Shaun O'Hara has speed, smarts and leadership ability.

4. SAINTS LG Jamar Nesbit is a solid all-around player, and RG Jahri Evans looks like a future star. C Jeff Faine provides great leadership.

5. 49ERS At 35, LG Larry Allen remains a powerful force. C Eric Heitmann is a heady player who handles line calls exceptionally well. RG Justin Smiley has good strength and athleticism.

6. EAGLES RG Shawn Andrews is the strength of the line. LG Todd Herremans played well in his first year inside. C Jamaal Jackson moves well laterally and makes the right calls.

7. PANTHERS LG Mike Wahle has excellent footwork. If rookie C Ryan Kalil looks good at camp, the team likely will have Justin Hartwig and Geoff Hangartner compete with Evan Mathis for the right guard job.

8. COWBOYS C Andre Gurode has improved his recognition skills, and LG Kyle Kosier is solid. RG Leonard Davis has never lived up to his potential, but he's a significant upgrade.

9. BUCCANEERS RG Davin Joseph, a strong run blocker, anchors an improving unit. Rookie Arron Sears and Anthony Davis, who's moving from tackle, will compete at left guard. C John Wade is solid.

10. RAMS RG Richie Incognito packs a wallop, and LG Mark Setterstrom is a tenacious blocker. Veteran Andy McCollum will battle Brett Romberg at center.

11. REDSKINS C Casey Rabach is strong and steady, but the guard situation is unstable. RG Randy Thomas is coming off knee surgery, and veteran Todd Wade must adjust to playing inside.

12. FALCONS Rookie LG Justin Blalock must refine his technique. C Todd McClure is a marvel in the middle despite limited ability. RG Kynan Forney should fare well in the new power-blocking scheme.

13. SEAHAWKS C Chris Spencer is talented but needs to improve his presnap calls. LG Rob Sims shows good power but lacks experience. RG Chris Gray will be challenged by Ray Willis and Floyd Womack.

14. CARDINALS RG Deuce Lutui is athletic but young, and LG Reggie Wells might struggle in the move from right tackle. C Al Johnson is expected to bring stability.

15. PACKERS LG Daryn Colledge and RG Jason Spitz both had more downs than ups in their rookie seasons. C Scott Wells has developed nicely.

16. LIONS Durable C Dominic Raiola is coming off his best season, but LG Edwin Mulitalo is recovering from a triceps injury and RG Stephen Peterman isn't battle-tested.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=226228

thoughts?
    We ALL bleed scarlet
    New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
    UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
    Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
    BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

With Dockery we would be top 5 :\

But Thomas is one of the best pulling Guards in the game. Hope Wade can make the transition from T to G.

Comment

i don't see how Wells will struggle at Guard thats his natural position

Comment

Stephen Peterman isn't even in contention for the RG position. Way to go Sporting News.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

The Eagles at 6 is horrible, he obviously didn't see enough of them last year.

Comment

wow the Cardinals don't have a better o-line then us, thats bull.

Comment

Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
              wow the Cardinals don't have a better o-line then us, thats bull.
              Yeah, Cards probably should be last place. Packers have young stars but they are a lot better than Cardinals.

I like being in the number 2 side, If we had a better right side we'd be in 1st.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure

Comment

Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                Stephen Peterman isn't even in contention for the RG position. Way to go Sporting News.
                Honestly, I didnt know he was still in the league...

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                KO KNOWS

Comment

The Eagles are too low, they are certainly superior to the 49ers and Saints. The Eagles and Giants are pretty much even.

Comment

I like the Bucs at #9 and really think they can improve that ranking if Sears and Buenning improve at G/C.

Comment

Originally posted by cunningham06 View Post
                      The Eagles are too low, they are certainly superior to the 49ers and Saints. The Eagles and Giants are pretty much even.
                      This may sound homerish, but I think the Eagles get the nod ahead of the Giants due to the fact that Shawn Andrews is an absolute monster. But it's still close.

Comment

I'd say the NFC is pretty stacked when it comes to G/C. AFC can take all the flashy positions.

Comment

Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
                          This may sound homerish, but I think the Eagles get the nod ahead of the Giants due to the fact that Shawn Andrews is an absolute monster. But it's still close.
                          No doubt, but Snee is quite good as well. The reason I say they are about even is because Shaun O'hara is better at this point than Jamaal Jackson. Herremans is better than Seubert, so I'd give the Eagles the edge, but not by too much.

Comment

Snee is definitely up there, but he's not as good as Andrews.

Comment

why arnt the raiders on that list? :D

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
                              @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information