Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Success in NFLE...What does it mean?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Success in NFLE...What does it mean?

    This is for all players/positions, but I have one guy in mind being a 49er fan...

    Marcus Maxwell, 6'4" 215lb reciever we drafted in the 7th round 2 years ago who has speed and has shown some ability.

    He went to NFLE this year and tore it up, but many have done this before.

    Here was his season:

    27 receptions (9th)
    459 yards (5th)
    7 TDs (1st)
    17.0 YPC (1st)

    He followed it up with a Huge World Bowl today: 5 catches for 127 yards and 2 TDs.


    So whats does NFLE success mean in the context of playing in the NFL? Does it mean more for one position over another? Discuss.

  • #2
    It is what it is. It's a good stepping stone for a lot of players to make NFL rosters. That said, most guys playing in NFLE would have a tough time cracking an NFL roster so it's not like many guys come over and start dominating the league. Some will find spots on teams after impressive NFLE performances, others won't.

    Comment


    • #3
      It's pretty much the closest thing to the Minor Leagues of Football so you have to take that in account. Like in baseball, unless you are highly touted (but raw), these guys most likely our destined to be NFLE stars. JT O'Sullivan looks like Tom Brady at times in NFLE but his skillset is so limited that he'll be lucky to be the Bears #4, let alone #2 or #3 QB on their roster. There's a reason why some of these guys are there. It's either:

      1)-Insanely Raw, Development Guys
      2)-Average backups who get their PT there (just to see what they have)
      3)-UDFAs

      Maxwell may have a shot at the roster though. Depth at WR isn't exactly thick with SF as the #4 WR is up for grabs between Jason Hill, Brandon Williams, Maxwell, Gilmore and Jacobs.
      Is that a rash?



      Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece

      Comment


      • #4
        It's all about Derrick Ross...could greatly benefit from a Larry Johnson hold out.

        Thanks BoneKrusher^

        http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
        KO KNOWS

        Comment


        • #5
          Watching NFLE, I often find myself wondering how on earth some of these guys can't land on a roster in the NFL.

          That said, I don't put a whole lot of stock in NFLE success.

          These guys may look fantastic against B- and C-grade players, but they're often overwhelmed against the big boys.

          A couple years ago, the top two RB's in NFLE were both allocated by the Titans....Jarrett Payton and Joe Smith. Both players ran all over opponents, and ended up leading their teams to the championship game. Joe Smith was particularly impressive...a very hard-nosed runner a la Travis Henry.

          Three months later, Joe Smith was out of football altogether, and Jarrett Payton was the #3 RB on the Titans' depth chart. He wasn't terrible, but against big league competition, he was "just a guy".

          Comment


          • #6
            They're still second tier competition at the end of the day, he might be able to make the squad because the receivers in SF aren't all that special, but he's a long shot, to do anything in the NFL.

            Comment


            • #7
              It's not a common thing, but there have been some good players that came out of NFL Europe. Off the top of my head Jake Delhomme, Marco Rivera, La'roi Glover, and Adam Vinitieri all had success in Europe.

              Comment


              • #8
                What team is James Petrowski (sp?) from? He seems like he could be a solid no. 2 TE in the NFL, he dominated.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Brian Waters and Dante Hall are both pro bowlers and both came out of NFL Europe.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
                    What team is James Petrowski (sp?) from? He seems like he could be a solid no. 2 TE in the NFL, he dominated.
                    Last time I heard his name, he was on the Titans practice squad...so, i'd say Titans... not 100% sure.

                    Thanks BoneKrusher^

                    http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                    KO KNOWS

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Philliez01 View Post
                      It's pretty much the closest thing to the Minor Leagues of Football so you have to take that in account. Like in baseball, unless you are highly touted (but raw), these guys most likely our destined to be NFLE stars. JT O'Sullivan looks like Tom Brady at times in NFLE but his skillset is so limited that he'll be lucky to be the Bears #4, let alone #2 or #3 QB on their roster. There's a reason why some of these guys are there. It's either:

                      1)-Insanely Raw, Development Guys
                      2)-Average backups who get their PT there (just to see what they have)
                      3)-UDFAs

                      Maxwell may have a shot at the roster though. Depth at WR isn't exactly thick with SF as the #4 WR is up for grabs between Jason Hill, Brandon Williams, Maxwell, Gilmore and Jacobs.
                      The difference between the Minors and NFLE is that all players go through the Minors, but only "scrub"/bottom-feeder players are sent to NFLE.

                      by BoneKrusher
                      <DG> how metal unseen
                      <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Maxwell did have a good day today..but Frankfurts defense was terrible all day.

                        "Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
                        Originally posted by TitanHope
                        R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
                        He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          basically what it means is that the guy will be beat up, tried, and not know the playbook and be cut

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by GREENSMACKS View Post
                            basically what it means is that the guy will be beat up, tried, and not know the playbook and be cut
                            Thats slightly cynical, and after reading about how many great players have come from the NFLE and been successful.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It means your the most talented guy who will be on the bench or assigned to a practice squad this season!! :)
                              HALL OF FAMER!
                              PUT ART MODELL IN THE HALL OF FAME!
                              JUSTIN BLACKMON IS A GOLDEN GOD!

                              Xbox Live - Kevown8999

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information