NFC Championship Game: Saints vs Bears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ewing
    Let me clear something up. If you are rooting against the Saints you don't have a soul. It's that simple.

Anyway, my heart says the Saints and my brain says the Bears. Screw it, I'm going New Orleans.
    :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
      I think it'll be close, and in close games I always go with the home team, especially in the playoffs.
      It's actually about even this year for the home and away teams. We saw the Pats and Colts this week as decent underdogs upset close games on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by SFbear
        Let me clear something up. If you are rooting against the Saints you don't have a soul. It's that simple.

Anyway, my heart says the Saints and my brain says the Bears. Screw it, I'm going New Orleans.
        Yea I'm about sick of it right now too. Yes, what the Saints have done this year has been remarkable, but enough is enough.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
        Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetness34

Yea I'm about sick of it right now too. Yes, what the Saints have done this year has been remarkable, but enough is enough.
          Not to mention they have very little to do with the actual Hurricane relief efforts and most of them are multi-millionaries. Including their owner who last year couldn't have given a **** less about New Orleans.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

The thing about those AFC games is that both homefields were similar to the road teams home field. Colts play in a dome so did the Ravens. The Pats play on ground that is often in rough shape and so was San Deigo home field.

With the Saints/Bears is completely different, Saints are in a dome that favors there fast great offense and the Bears play on in rough conditions that favors strong defense.
            "We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said before chuckling about it. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
              Originally posted by sweetness34

Not to mention they have very little to do with the actual Hurricane relief efforts and most of them are multi-millionaries. Including their owner who last year couldn't have given a *********** less about New Orleans.
              QFT

Comment

Originally posted by ks_perfection
                The thing about those AFC games is that both homefields were similar to the road teams home field. Colts play in a dome so did the Ravens. The Pats play on ground that is often in rough shape and so was San Deigo home field.

With the Saints/Bears is completely different, Saints are in a dome that favors there fast great offense and the Bears play on in rough conditions that favors strong defense.
                Huh?

The Ravens play outside dude, so do the Eagles. Don't really get where you're trying to go here. Baltimore's field is nothing like a dome field, because well, it's not a dome.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
                Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

I'd like to pick the Bears, I really would. It hurts me to do this, but I started off the playoffs thinking Saints/Patriots, and I'll stick with those picks.

The Saints offense is too good. I don't think any team can "stop" it, but can only hope to limit it. The Bears don't match up too well against that offense. We've got to find a way to generate pressure against a fairly solid OL. If the Bears can get pressure, it'll be a different game. If not, then Brees will shred us to bits and pieces. Then, you mix in their ability to run the ball. Deuce doesn't get enough credit, and he's the key to whether or not they win. The cover 2 can always be run against if you scheme right, and Sean Payton's done a great job at scheming. For the BEars to "win" this side of the ball, I would rather see us drop into 3 deep looks and force the Saints to slowly work their way down the field and committing a RB up.

The Bears have a good matchup against that defense ... if the good Rex shows up. THeir LB core can be attacked, so I'd look for a lot of work in the middle, with crossing patterns and mixing in more of Desmond Clark, Thomas Jones, Jason McKie, and Cedric Benson in the passing game. They can be run against as well. Our OL has always been susceptible to a good pass rush, as the tackles aren't the most nimble, so for the Bears to "win" this side of the ball, they have to committ to the run early again and score early as well to change the dynamic of the game. If we can get good protection, their corners can be beat, though. All this, though, is dependent on the good Rex showing up. I hate how we use our RB's now, as they dont get enough consistent touches to establish anything. If we are going to use Benson, then send him in there enough times in the first half to get a feel in the 2nd half. I still think the coaching staff is right to start Jones, but to take him basically out of the gameplan in the 2nd half is pure lunacy, as it doesn't give him the chance to establish anything. The ideal gameplan is having one back run it, say, 20-25 times, and the other run it, say, 10-15 times, but spread consistently throughout.

If it comes to special teams, I like Gould better than I like Carney, due to the home fied advantage.

At the end of the day, I so want to pick the Bears, but I can't do that and honestly feel like I'm making the right decision. As noted repeatedly in the papers, there were some odd coaching decisions throughout for Lovie Smith's staff. Any mistakes, and Payton will exploit that. I'll go Saints 30, Chicago 24, and setting up, my prediction, a Patriots/Saints Super Bowl that could be a great chess match.

Here's hoping I'm dead wrong and Chicago wins.

Comment

Saints over Bears in a too close for comfort game. I can't in good conscious pick over the Saints in this game but I'm giving credit where credit is due and think the game will be decided by 3.

This is the match-up I've wanted all season and now it's here. The Seahawks did a good job of setting up and using the run against Chicago and I think Sean Payton is going to try and duplicate that success. The key to a Bears win is which Rex Grossman shows up. I know everyone has said it but it is true.

My prediction: Saints 31 - Bears 28

I just have a gut feeling that this game is going to be very, very close. I hope the Saints win but here's hoping to a good clean game of football.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                    WHO DAT!

Comment

I'm actually not sold that we need good Rex to win. We can't have bad Rex, that's for sure. But I think the key for us to win is in the trenches, and in particular, the edges of the trenches. FOr the Bears to win, they must hurry Brees, and Tait/Miller will have to, along with the TE's and RB's, slow down Will Smith/Charles Grant.

I do think that a real good running effort (120+ yards), plus a decent, but mistake free, Rex could lead us to victory. SHould be interesting.

Comment

If the Bears had Tommie Harris I'd consider picking them, but his absence leaves no protection for Urlacher, who was swallowed up on a number of plays yesterday, Tank Johnson and Ian Scott aren't getting enough push and are getting steamed rolled. Reggie and Deuce will run wild on this group.

Secondly, the Seahawks picked on Charles Tillman all day, I expect the saints to do the same. Colston will probably be matched up on Vasher, who has been very good this year, but if Horn is in the Line-up, forget it, Brees throws for 350.

Special teams go's to the Bears. Hester, Gould and Maynard are as solid as they come.

Saints 34
                        Bears 21
                        Rock Jock

Sidesider for life, Go White Sox

Comment

this is the year, that defense wins championship becomes history

Go Ravens!

Comment

I really am suprised by the high # given to the Saints. It's interesting that the national media is critical of "only" beating the Seahawks 27-24 but the exact same total versus the Eagles is a-ok in their eyes. If you want a good example, check out Gene Wojo's article on ESPN.com.

Obviously I'm biased, but I think there's been an unfair double standard for the Bears all year long. People are always trying to figure out what is wrong with us and why we're going to fail. Now that we're actually a game away from the Superbowl I figured that would stop. I guess not.

As for the game, I agree it should be close, I really don't know what the result will be. I think it may just come down to the weather.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

I agree with you bearsfan.... it does seem no matter what Chicago does someone out there is digging for an excuse as to why they squeaked out a win or why they will soon fail.

That being said I still think the Saints will win this. I like their offense against a banged up Bears D. But I think this game may come down to special teams, making Devin Hester a huge Wild Card. I'm going with the Saints but it should be a close, exciting game.

Comment

Wtf? people can root for whoever they want it's a football game.

Look I am one of the biggest Bears haters out there, and I am stunned at how many people are picking the Saints. The Bears are a 14-3 team, and people act like they are some 7-9 team that managed to stumble into the playoffs.

I would be shocked if the Bears lost this game; homefield, the Saints Defense was ranked 31st giving up big plays over 20 yards, and that is not pretty with such deep threats such as Bernard Berrian and Rashied Davis, lining up over Fred Thomas. Rex Grossman has another good day.

Bears 27 - Saints 17

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information