• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shiver
    Originally posted by diabsoule
    Originally posted by sweetness34
    Originally posted by Shiver
    The Bears practiced out outside, in the cold. Meanwhile the Saints practiced in their shorts, indoors. That is a big mistake, that is, not preparing your team for the elements.
    It's reverse psychology Shiver, duh. :roll:

If I were Payton, I'd seriously consider going up north somewhere and practicing all week long. Because it's supposed to be damn cold on Sunday.
    It's been cold and raining in Louisiana all week. Not as cold as Chicago, though. Our temperature is hovering around 40-47 degrees, with wind and rain.
    Thanks for the info, but New Orleans hasn't even been practicing outdoors in Louisiana. They have been inside, in their shorts.
    People are really making the weather out to be a bigger deal than what it actually is.
    The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

• Originally posted by Packman1957
      Originally posted by Packman1957
      I think this game goes to the Saints, there offense is just too much for the Bears defense, especially since the Bears D has not played like it did at the beggining of the season, of course not having Tommie Harris and Mike Brown has a lot to do with this. And lets be honest history goes against the Bears, if you look at teams in the superbowl you will notice almost every single team has a good QB (except for Trent Dilfer and the Ravens in 2000). At this stage of the playoffs the QB position is what seperates the good teams from the great one's. The Bears defense is not the Ravens defense of 2000, and not the defense who shut out the Pack in there home opener, they gave up 24 points to the Seahawks when during the regular season they gave up only 6 points, this just shows how much the loss of Harris and Brown hurt this team, and what should make anyone think that the Bears offense can come to the rescue like they did last week. I just don't see it happening. I think the Bears get ripped apart, the Saints Offense is just to explosive, final:

Saints 31
      Bears 13
      We aren't the Ravens of 2000, but we have a better offense and better special teams than the Ravens.

Our offense will be able to put points up on the board, and I wouldn't put it past our D and ST's to possibly get a TD as well.

Brad Johnson won a Superbowl, as did Big Ben last year. Both were solid QB's but nothing spectacular. :? But we need Rex to not be a Trent Dilfer type QB or we will lose. We need him to put up some numbers, especially with how the D has been playing as of late.

I won't knock your prediction, it's your opinion, but what difference did you see in the Saints and the Bears this weekend to come up with a score like that?
      Yeah i figured I was forgetting one QB, Brad Johnson was pretty average as well. But Big Ben played pretty well last year (especially in the playoffs) so I don't think you can compare him to Grossman.

And yeah you guys certainly have a better special teams than the Saints. But yet I really think you guys aren't the same team without Tommie Harris and Mike Brown. Granted Tank Johnson is a pretty good DT, I will admit that, but being able to have both Harris and Johnson in there would make a huge difference.

Also Rex Grossman will have to play his best football to beat the Saints, and I think some people really underrate the Saints defense, they really are not that bad. Maybe my prediction may have been a bit harsh but we'll see, I could be wrong.
      You guys realize the Saints lost to Washington, AT HOME, after they beat up on Dallas right?

So I wouldn't really say they were playing their best football of the season heading into the playoffs either.

So it breaks down like this right....

Bears Offense < Saints Offense

Bears Defense > Saints Defense

Bears ST's> Saints ST's

Say what you want about how underrated the Saints D is, but on paper we are the better D, even with out Tommie and Mike.

Idk, the 37 vote differential b/w the two teams is just astounding to see.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
      Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• Originally posted by sweetness34
        You guys realize the Saints lost to Washington, AT HOME, after they beat up on Dallas right?

So I wouldn't really say they were playing their best football of the season heading into the playoffs either.
        Okay, first and foremost, let me say that the Saints had more than enough opportunities to win against Washington, but unfortunately, they couldn't capitalize on certain Redskins miscues and lost after a huge and very emotional victory over Dallas on the road the week before. And lest you forget, you're the same Bears team that lost 31-13 at home against the Dolphins after manhandling the 49ers the week before. So, we've both lost embarassing games at home after decisive victories. :?

So it breaks down like this right....

Bears Offense < Saints Offense

Bears Defense > Saints Defense

Bears ST's> Saints ST's

Say what you want about how underrated the Saints D is, but on paper we are the better D, even with out Tommie and Mike.

Idk, the 37 vote differential b/w the two teams is just astounding to see.
        I will agree with one thing that you mentioned, the vote difference is a lot bigger than I would have thought as well. I really think that the fact is that people that are not fans of either team might be just voting for New Orleans because of the whole Cinderella story or to upset all you Chicago fans. I really can't say, since I'm a Saints fan, I voted for the Saints, like all you Bears fans probably voted for Chicago.

Personally, I think that you have to look at some key matchups to pick the winner of Sunday's game.

One interesting matchup when the Bears have the ball is offensive tackles Fred Miller and John St. Clair against the Saints defensive ends Charles Grant and Will Smith. I think that if the Bears give Rex Grossman enough time to throw, he'll be able to pick apart the weak Saints secondary. I know that Bernard Berrian will probably burn Fred Thomas at least once. It just depends how many times the Saints give up the big play.

Another matchup to look at will be Bears defensive tackles Ian Scott and Alfonso Boone against Saints running back Deuce McAllister. We all know that McAllister was able to shred the Eagles front for 143 yards on the ground. If he's able to put up similar numbers against the Bears defense, watch out, this game could get out of hand in a hurry.

The other matchup that a lot of people aren't looking at is the Bears return man Devin Hester against the Saints kicker Billy Cundiff and punter Steve Weatherford. I know that Hester is a threat to return a kick anytime he touches the ball -- if he fields the ball cleanly that is. I've seen Hester muff the ball at least three times when the kicker or punter puts the ball on the ground and Hester has to run up and field the ball on the bounce. I think that if the Saints kicking team is smart, they'll either kick away from him or put the ball on the ground, not allowing the speedy Hester to beat them.

Again, I'll give my score prediction soon and very soon, but for now, I'll steal your idea and break down the units like you did.

Saints offense vs. Bears defense
        winner: Saints

Bears offense vs. Saints defense
        winner: Bears

Bears special teams vs. Saints special teams
        winner: even

Bears coaching vs. Saints coaching
        winner: Saints (close)

Bears intangibles vs. Saints intangibles
        winner: Saints (close again)

Overall, I think that this is going to be a great game. And I can't wait for Sunday! :D

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
        https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs

Comment

• We have the best special teams in the league. That's laughable.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flyboy
            Originally posted by diabsoule
            The Bears practiced out outside, in the cold. Meanwhile the Saints practiced in their shorts, indoors. That is a big mistake, that is, not preparing your team for the elements.
            It's reverse psychology Shiver, duh. :roll:

If I were Payton, I'd seriously consider going up north somewhere and practicing all week long. Because it's supposed to be damn cold on Sunday.
            It's been cold and raining in Louisiana all week. Not as cold as Chicago, though. Our temperature is hovering around 40-47 degrees, with wind and rain.
            Thanks for the info, but New Orleans hasn't even been practicing outdoors in Louisiana. They have been inside, in their shorts.
            People are really making the weather out to be a bigger deal than what it actually is.
            Maybe. But I believe the Rams are the only dome team to ever win a Superbowl (and that year they had HFA throughout the playoffs). Makes you wonder why.

Comment

• Lmao all the dimwits at ESPN picked the Saints except Accuscore. :shock:

guess the forgot the facts:
              *No dome team has ever won a conference championship game outdoors.
              *No 3-13 team has ever made the Super Bowl the following season.
              *The Saints have never gone to the Super Bowl.

all those facts will remain true after Sunday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saints Dome Patrol

I call shenanigans on all three of those. Devin Hester broke records, and until last week our coverage teams have been pretty good. Sean Payton hasn't proven he's a better coach than Lovie Smith. Lovie got 11 wins out of this team with primarily Kyle Orton at quarterback, Payton got 10 with Drew Brees. They both won coach of the year, (although you can argue that Mangini deserved it more, but Payton had the whole coaching in New Orleans thing going for him). And the Saints don't have intangible edge on the Bears. Most of the Bears team has been in the play-offs before, and they'll be at home, behind their fans, in their weather.

sig by VLS
                Originally posted by Smokey Joe
                I don't care...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hurricane Ditka
                  Originally posted by Saints Dome Patrol

I call shenanigans on all three of those. Devin Hester broke records, and until last week our coverage teams have been pretty good. Sean Payton hasn't proven he's a better coach than Lovie Smith. Lovie got 11 wins out of this team with primarily Kyle Orton at quarterback, Payton got 10 with Drew Brees. They both won coach of the year, (although you can argue that Mangini deserved it more, but Payton had the whole coaching in New Orleans thing going for him). And the Saints don't have intangible edge on the Bears. Most of the Bears team has been in the play-offs before, and they'll be at home, behind their fans, in their weather.
                  I agree. I think the last two are debatable (especially cause I don't know what intangibles is supposed to mean) but the special teams one is absurd.

Billy Cundiff or Robbie Gould. Hmm....

Comment

• Originally posted by jetsfan3
                    I am rooting for the Bears because I use them in Madden and I want them to get better.
                    That's as good a reason as any for people who aren't committed fans of one team or the other. And I like that logic a whole lot better than "the Saints are a 'feel-good' story." Puh-leeze. The Saints are winning because of what happened with the hurricane, and anyone who is supporting the football team because they wish the city of New Orleans well should frickin' donate time and/or money to relief/rebuilding efforts, instead of salivating over a worst-to-first sports story.

It's a total joke to say anyone who isn't a Bears fan should root for the Saints. The Saints aren't holy or blessed or "America's team"; they've been close for years now to ditching NO for LA or SA or anywhere but the market and stadium the owners despise. If anything, people should root against the Saints for being such a terrible organization for years, and riding this "team of destiny" crap once they turn it around and get a good QB to go with a good RB and good coach.

Originally posted by Fogartynyy2789
                    1. It would be the greatest Cinderella Story in NFL history.
                    Why do people like Cinderella stories? What is wrong with an organization having tradition and a history of improvement, and being strong long-term? Why are people so obsessed with a team that was utter crap one year, and good the next (especially in an era of last-place scheduling, etc.)? In my opinion, it's an indicator that something might be wrong with a league when a team can pull off such a huge swing in one year (and conversely, good teams go in the dumper in the same time period). Fan loyalty gets crapped on in this system, and you get all sorts of bandwagoning. It's flavor-of-the-month.

And that shows in this poll and in the ridiculous statements people are making about this game. The Bears' defense is struggling up the middle lately, but the edges are still strong and match up very well against the Saints' strengths on offense. Which to me, means Brees gets a lot of time to throw, but he's not going to find much to throw to. That doesn't matter, because it'll be McCallister running up the gut (want to see Bush get lit up again? Try sweeping him around the DE). Yes, the Saints have a potent offense, and the Bears won't be able to stop them. But the Bears have improved in one critical category this year from last--big plays. The defense makes them, and doesn't give them up. In the end, the Saints score 21-28 points.

The Bears' offense? Look for Benson to have a monster game as the Bears do the same thing as the Saints look to do. Rex won't have a lights-out game, but Turner called a very good game in the first half last week, and look for the Bears to do the exact same thing this week. Rex will play within the plan, taking sacks and checkdowns instead of heaving risky Farve-like gunslings. That said, if BB breaks loose downfield, Rex has the arm to get the ball to him. In the end, the Bears score 21-28 points.

This game might very well come down to Devin Hester--does he fumble the ball away, or does he break another long one? Do the Saints try a risky long-range field goal, knowing the Bears have returned TWO missed field goals for touchdowns in recent history? Or maybe Robbie Gould is the hero again. Personally, my gut is telling me that Gould won't be rock-solid this weekend, because kicking is a streaky thing, and it just might be time for Gould to go through a mini-slump.

That said, I see Hester breaking a long 4th-quarter punt return and getting tripped up before the goal line. Benson up the middle 3x in a row... and if he breaks through, end score Bears: 27, Saints 24. If he doesn't, the Bears settle for a FG and end up losing 23-24... or just maybe, the Bears then onside kick and recover, throw Hester in on offense for a play and he runs a reverse to score the game-winning TD, in which case Bears 30, Saints 24.

Comment

• well lets whatifsports debate this:

http://whatifsports.com/nfl/boxscore...D=2442767&ad=1

Lionsmack

Originally posted by elway777
                      They should invite Reggie Ball to the Draft just to make him feel uncomfortable.
                      The Lions will sweep the Vikings in 2007.

Comment

• Ok SDP, I love you as a poster, but come on now....

Our ST's are the best in the league, period. We have 3 PRO BOWLERS on our ST's in Gould, Hester, and Ayenbadejo; I don't think any other NFL team can say that.

We have one of the best special teams players in the league in Ayenbadejo. We have the most accurate field goal kicker this year in the league in Gould. And we have the most electrifying and the best returner in Hester this season. Our ST's are better than yours on paper, and I don't even think it's debatable. Maybe you have us in Kickoff and Punt coverage but come on now SDP.

Coaching? Payton has had one good year. Lovie has improved every season he's been a coach and has brought a 5-11 team 2 years ago to first round byes in the playoffs two straight years. And even though I don't like Ron Turner at times, the combo of Rivera and Turner makes for one of the better duos in the NFC. I'm not saying Payton won't be a better coach in the future, but he's not right now.

And intangibles? I have to agree with HD here and I'll just cosign him on that.

Just my thoughts.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
                        Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• Originally posted by Star Wideout
                          Lmao all the dimwits at ESPN picked the Saints except Accuscore. :shock:

guess the forgot the facts:
                          *No dome team has ever won a conference championship game outdoors.
                          *No 3-13 team has ever made the Super Bowl the following season.
                          *The Saints have never gone to the Super Bowl.

all those facts will remain true after Sunday.
                          using history to back you up is pretty low.....just saying.

and wow the saints have lost already?? no way...

Comment

• Originally posted by sweetness34
                            Ok SDP, I love you as a poster, but come on now....

Our ST's are the best in the league, period. We have 3 PRO BOWLERS on our ST's in Gould, Hester, and Ayenbadejo; I don't think any other NFL team can say that.
                            We have one of the best special teams players in the league in Ayenbadejo. We have the most accurate field goal kicker this year in the league in Gould. And we have the most electrifying and the best returner in Hester this season. Our ST's are better than yours on paper, and I don't even think it's debatable. Maybe you have us in Kickoff and Punt coverage but come on now SDP.
                            I think the only reason that you like me as a poster is because of my avatar. Be honest. :razz:

I'll admit that you do have three Pro Bowl players but I'm not so sure that Robbie Gould is the best field goal kicker in the league. Like I said, if the Saints can kick around Hester, it takes away your special team advantage.

Coaching? Payton has had one good year. Lovie has improved every season he's been a coach and has brought a 5-11 team 2 years ago to first round byes in the playoffs two straight years. And even though I don't like Ron Turner at times, the combo of Rivera and Turner makes for one of the better duos in the NFC. I'm not saying Payton won't be a better coach in the future, but he's not right now.
                            As you said, Sean Payton has only had one good year. That's because he's only had one year to coach. And it that one year, he's turned around a 3-13 team to a team that's one win away from the Super Bowl. And if you're going to throw in assistant coaches, I do agree that Ron Rivera is a great assistant, but I still stand by my opinion. You've got yours, and I've got mine.

And c'mon, even with home-field advantage, the Saints have got the edge with all the hurricane/Cinderella story going for them. The Saints have most of the rest of the country cheering for them. I know you didn't want to hear it, but it's the truth.

Just my thoughts.
                            And I appreciate that we can disagree in a civil manner. Unlike some of the other fans on this forum, we can be adults about this.

I think you'll agree, whatever happens on Sunday, it will be a very close game.

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
                            https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs

Comment

• The fact that the country is cheering for the Saints means nothing. There will be 60 some thousand fans in the stadium and almost all of them will be Bears fans. That's the only noise that is going to count.

And I don't think the "Cinderella" story means a whole lot. The Saints have been winning because they are a good team. Intangibles have to do with things that are actually game related, and that's not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saints Dome Patrol
                                And c'mon, even with home-field advantage, the Saints have got the edge with all the hurricane/Cinderella story going for them. The Saints have most of the rest of the country cheering for them. I know you didn't want to hear it, but it's the truth.
                                Shenanigans once again. Opening kickoff Sunday and that won't matter one bit. Their will be 60,000+ people in that stadium on Sunday, and "the rest of the country" won't be in Solider Field to cheer them on. The hurricane was a year and a half ago, and the Saints wanted to get the hell out there after it happened. They wanted to stay in San Antonio, or move to LA. This 10-6 team isn't the same team that went 3-13, you've got Drew Brees, Reggie Bush, a healthy Duece McCallister, along with a few new defensive players. Lovie's rise from 5-11 to 11-5 is just as impressive as Sean Payton's, although Lovie's core group of players didn't change as much the Saints did. Lovie's got 2 years more experience, and it's on his turf, not Payton's. In Chicago's weather not the climate-controlled dome of New Orleans. In front of 60,000 Bears fans. Add all of those things together, and who the country is rooting for doesn't make a difference. This isn't an election it's a football game, and the Saints aren't America's team, their New Orleans' team.

sig by VLS
                                Originally posted by Smokey Joe
                                I don't care...

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information