No announcement yet.

Browns prepared for Joe Thomas holdout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I were the Browns GM, I'd cut Brady Quinn if he tried to hold out for more money. He hasn't proven anything to demand a lot of money, and from the reports of mini camp, he's not looking that good to begin with. I'd try and work with Joe Thomas, but Quinn demanding more money is hilarious. Dude was ALWAYS overrated. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Contr0versy View Post
      If I were the Browns GM, I'd cut Brady Quinn if he tried to hold out for more money. He hasn't proven anything to demand a lot of money, and from the reports of mini camp, he's not looking that good to begin with. I'd try and work with Joe Thomas, but Quinn demanding more money is hilarious. Dude was ALWAYS overrated. . .
      Yeah... cut the player that you spent a 2008 first round draft pick to acquire.
      The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Originally posted by nvot9 View Post
        Who woulda thought that a guy who passed up such an advertised event as the NFL draft, is now going to be holding out for more money? He's the last prospect I expected to do this to be honest, but it IS a business, do what ya gotta do...
        From the report on ESPN it seems that Cleveland is the one causing the hold out and offering Thomas less than what the previous 3 #3 overall picks earned because of his position. It's pretty ridiculous to expect him to sign for less than that when everyone else in the draft will be getting more or the same as the year before.

And for the people complaining about rookie hold outs, just stop because if you were in that position you'd be trying to get every penny you could, the same thing happened with Bush last year and every one trashing him, just shut it because it's a business and it would be dumb for a player to not get as much as the can.

That is correct comahan
        I ******* LOVE YOU DG
        <3 dg

Comment

That's a great idea, trade away future draft choices so you can cut a guy who may be the future of the franchise.....
          Calvin Johnson, Gaines Adams, all these guys haven't proved anything yet either, not one rookie has, should they all be cut for trying to holdout?

On another note though, both sides here should really be working to get Quinn signed. Quinn isn't going to want to holdout and lose his shot at starting this season, or for the next couple of years if for some reason Frye takes off as a QB. It may not seem plausible with how Frye plays, but take a look at Drew Brees up until Phil Rivers showed up, it was horrible, then he turned it around and became one of the best in the league. On the other side, the Browns want to get him in there too, so they can get their franchise QB molded and ready to take over the league as one of the premeir guys.

Comment

Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
            And for the people complaining about rookie hold outs, just stop because if you were in that position you'd be trying to get every penny you could, the same thing happened with Bush last year and every one trashing him, just shut it because it's a business and it would be dumb for a player to not get as much as the can.
            The whole Bush thing from last year was completely hilarious. "OMG BUSH IS GOING TO SIT OUT AND RE-ENTER THE DRAFT~!!"

Good times.
            The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Brady Quinn. . . The future of the franchise? You guys really think highly of this man. Lol.

Okay, maybe cutting him is a bit extreme, but I still wouldn't give in to his demands, especially if they're outrageous at that. IMO, Quinn is not a franchise QB, and won't be that great in the NFL. He's just another Casey Bramlet at best. So I don't see the point in paying him an outrageous sum of money for his mediocre talent. . .

Comment

Originally posted by JK17 View Post
                It may not seem plausible with how Frye plays, but take a look at Drew Brees up until Phil Rivers showed up, it was horrible, then he turned it around and became one of the best in the league. On the other side, the Browns want to get him in there too, so they can get their franchise QB molded and ready to take over the league as one of the premeir guys.
                The thing is, with Drew Brees, he would have been a sure-fire first round pick had it not been for the whole height issue. I think it's mere coincidence that Brees picked up his play after they drafted Rivers; he was entering his third season as a starter, the time when you can really start to tell if a QB is for real or not. I absolutely would not hold my breath with Charlie Frye.
                The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
                  From the report on ESPN it seems that Cleveland is the one causing the hold out and offering Thomas less than what the previous 3 #3 overall picks earned because of his position. It's pretty ridiculous to expect him to sign for less than that when everyone else in the draft will be getting more or the same as the year before.

Actually, no. At my job, Im making $15.00 and hour. If I wanted to, I could ***** and moan for more money. In fact, Ive been told to my face I could make more from my boss. The thing is, I have class, and see that if I make more money, then the people I work for have less hours (I work for CFS, and each family has a limited budget. I make more, they get less time for their children). I make sacrifices for other people.

These rookies, they dont care about anyone else. They dont look and say, "If I ask for a few million less, we could sign another starter." They say, "Im going to get every cent out of this, even though in the end, Im going to be a multimillionaire anyways." Forget the fact that a new contract will come along in a couple of years, and if theyve proven themselves, theyll cash in all over again.

Anybody thats even moderately smart with money would be able to retire after the money you make from an NFL career.
                  Last edited by frogstomp; 06-25-2007, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frogstomp View Post
                    Actually, no. At my job, Im making $15.00 and hour. If I wanted to, I could ***** and moan for more money. In fact, Ive been told to my face I could make more from my boss. The thing is, I have class, and see that if I make more money, than the people I work for have less hours (I work for CFS, and each family has a limited budget. I make more, they get less time for their children). I make sacrifices for other people.

These rookies, they dont care about anyone else. They dont look and say, "If I ask for a few million less, we could sign another starter." They say, "Im going to get every cent out of this, even though in the end, Im going to be a multimillionaire anyways." Forget the fact that a new contract will come along in a couple of years, and if theyve proven themselves, theyll cash in all over again.

Anybody thats even moderately smart with money would be able to retire after the money you make from an NFL career.
                    If I was the #3 pick in the draft, and I saw that the #3 pick from the previous year got $26 million guaranteed, I would not settle for very much less. Doing so would just be stupid.

Blame the NFL for not creating a rookie wage scale. I'd want what the guy in the same spot the previous year got.

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

Thomas told his agent he wants to be in camp on time... Might be a hold out, I don't see why its being reported now seeing as we still have over a month until training camp.

Comment

Originally posted by frogstomp View Post
                        Rookie holdouts are such ********. You've proved absolutely nothing, but feel like you deserve more money? Shut the **** up, and get on the field.
                        Completely true...they're still getting tens of millions

Faithful Niner Fan

Comment

Originally posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
                          If I was the #3 pick in the draft, and I saw that the #3 pick from the previous year got $26 million guaranteed, I would not settle for very much less. Doing so would just be stupid.
                          There's no comparison. . . The #3 draft pick last year was a franchise QB (Vince Young). QBs have the most important role on a football team, therefore an offensive lineman should NEVER think that he is equal to that of a franchise QB, regardless if they were both the #3 draft pick. QBs impact the game/team/league FAR MORE than an offensive lineman. . .

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBodden View Post
                            Thomas told his agent he wants to be in camp on time... Might be a hold out, I don't see why its being reported now seeing as we still have over a month until training camp.
                            Joe is a quality individual and trust me he isn't the one causing the problems; it's browns management

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

There's no comparison. . . The #3 draft pick last year was a franchise QB (Vince Young). QBs have the most important role on a football team, therefore an offensive lineman should NEVER think that he is equal to that of a franchise QB, regardless if they were both the #3 draft pick. QBs impact the game/team/league FAR MORE than an offensive lineman. . .
                              Let's take a look at the contracts signed by the past three #3 overall draft picks:

Larry Fitzgerald - 6 years, $60 million, $20.4 million guaranteed
                              Braylon Edwards - 5 years, $40 million, $18.5 million guaranteed
                              Vince Young - 6 years, $58 million, $25.74 million guaranteed

Now why shouldn't Joe Thomas' contract be in that ballpark, again?

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

Edwards really got a "crappy" deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information