Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4-3 Defense coming to Pittsburgh, I Can Feel It!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigbluedefense
    It wouldn't make sense at the moment to switch to Cover 2. The overhaul would take several years to take place. And with such a dominant 3-4 NT like Hampton, youd be wasting his talents in the Cover 2.

I think however it would be somewhat appropriate to go to Cover 2. Since Pittsburgh is the true birthplace and predecessor of the scheme, its only appropriate that they go back to their roots and play a quick 4-3 defense.

I love teams sticking to their identity. I felt it adds to the rich history of the sport. The Giants, Steelers, and Bears should always be teams with punishing defenses and run heavy offenses. The Colts should always have a great offense. The 49ers should always be a WCO team. The Packers should always be a rich offensive team.

If I had it my way, different teams would stick to their identity all the time. It makes for great history. People's football philosophies and opinions would vary from region to region. It would make for more interesting football if it was played that way.

Me personally, I dislike what the Giants have become. We're too focused on the offensive side of the ball and the pass game. Our defense is soft, which is an embarassment to an organization always known for a punishing defense. We're not playing Giants football right now, and Id love to go back to our style of defense and smashmouth offense. Thats what we are. Thats what we do. Someone needs to send that memo to Coughlin.
    Actually before the Parcells Era and dating even further back into history when the Giants were winning Championships pre-Super Bowl, they were actually probably more known for their offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10
      Originally posted by bigbluedefense
      It wouldn't make sense at the moment to switch to Cover 2. The overhaul would take several years to take place. And with such a dominant 3-4 NT like Hampton, youd be wasting his talents in the Cover 2.

I think however it would be somewhat appropriate to go to Cover 2. Since Pittsburgh is the true birthplace and predecessor of the scheme, its only appropriate that they go back to their roots and play a quick 4-3 defense.

I love teams sticking to their identity. I felt it adds to the rich history of the sport. The Giants, Steelers, and Bears should always be teams with punishing defenses and run heavy offenses. The Colts should always have a great offense. The 49ers should always be a WCO team. The Packers should always be a rich offensive team.

If I had it my way, different teams would stick to their identity all the time. It makes for great history. People's football philosophies and opinions would vary from region to region. It would make for more interesting football if it was played that way.

Me personally, I dislike what the Giants have become. We're too focused on the offensive side of the ball and the pass game. Our defense is soft, which is an embarassment to an organization always known for a punishing defense. We're not playing Giants football right now, and Id love to go back to our style of defense and smashmouth offense. Thats what we are. Thats what we do. Someone needs to send that memo to Coughlin.
      Actually before the Parcells Era and dating even further back into history when the Giants were winning Championships pre-Super Bowl, they were actually probably more known for their offense.
      Not really. In the 50s we were known for a punishing defense with Huff and a great run game with Gifford.

The 60s and 70s were miserable, and we tried building through offense and it failed miserably.

The time prior to the 50s we were balanced for the most part, but still had a strong emphasis on defense.

Comment

They'll hire Russ Grimm and keep the 3-4 defense.....I don't think they'll change it since they've had it forever, but if they hire Tomlin or Rivera they will.

Comment

trade Casey Hampton to the Jets

Comment

Originally posted by Woody56
            I second this. We'll give Pitt a 3rd... consider yourself lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver
              If they go 4-3, they need a complete overhaul of their front seven. In my opinion, that would be stupid.
              Porter doesnt go anywhere. Farrior? Nowhere. DT would need a change, but complete overhaul? Hampton could still do his thing and hold blocks, but overall I agree in that they should not change. They need little work and health to be among the best, not a clean slate.

Comment

Originally posted by frogstomp
                Dream on. Hampton is worth a 1st and 2nd and nothing less.

Comment

Originally posted by THIZZorDIE
                  Originally posted by Shiver
                  If they go 4-3, they need a complete overhaul of their front seven. In my opinion, that would be stupid.
                  Porter doesnt go anywhere. Farrior? Nowhere. DT would need a change, but complete overhaul? Hampton could still do his thing and hold blocks, but overall I agree in that they should not change. They need little work and health to be among the best, not a clean slate.
                  Aaron smith and Brett Kiesel couldn't be 4-3 DEs...Smith made the probowl last year as a 3-4 DE, we'd have to prolly get rid of him

Props to Darnik

Originally posted by CutlerChris
                  Why couldn't Helen Keller drive?

She was a woman.
                  ^^^^^^
                  OMFG LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by frogstomp

For the best 3-4 NT? :? You'd be lucky if we even gave him to you, and nothing less than a second rounder...should be a 1st round pick

Props to Darnik

She was a woman.
                    ^^^^^^
                    OMFG LMAO

Comment

Don't you think you Tomlin and Rivera are dumb enough to break up something that won a super bowl a year ago.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                      Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

Reactions after Tomlin's second interview

If Mike Tomlin carried himself with as much poise during yesterday's second interview as he did with reporters, then he absolutely wowwed the Steelers.

Steeler fan websites today are abuzz with excitement about the guy, and now Im not the only one talking about a switch to the cover-2.

In reading some of the recent posts, I'd like to suggest Brett Keisel could perhaps play 4-3 DE, a la Justin Smith of the Bengals (who is also bigger than your average 4-3 DE, but I agree that Aaron Smith could not. Now if you Jet fans want to improve that front-3 for a third rounder, then Aaron Smith could be your guy. He is a pro-bowler, after all.

Comment

This hole thread is just silly. Let me count the ways.
                          1. A Cover 2 D can be played with either a 3-4 or a 4-3 front. All a cover 2 is, 2 deep S's each covering half the feild. Guess what, we already use it from time to time. The only player it would effect is Troy. He would be back off the LOS more often.
                          2. We don't know who the coach is, so we don't know what is going to change/stay the same.
                          3. A. Smith can play DE in a 4-3. In fact he can be one of the best at it. He is used to playing against double teams. Yet he is both a run stuffer and a pass rusher. Why would that change? If will not. Same with Keisel. If the Steelers were to switch t a 4-3, the position they need the most help is DT. We only have one on the team. Hampton can play DT. He would be used the same way he is now. In on running downs out on passing downs.

Comment

(CB - McFadden) (FS - Clark) (SS - Polamalu) (CB - Taylor)
                            (OLB - ?) (ILB - Farrior) (OLB - Foote)
                            (DE - Haggins) (DT - Smith) (NT - Hampton) (DE - Porter)

Comment

If they were to turn to the 4-3, i'd go with Okoye.

I think Hampton would still be a decent player in the 4-3, but the only player behind him is Chris Hoke, and I don't think they could go into the 07 season with him starting.

Comment

Re: Reactions after Tomlin's second interview

Originally posted by TerribleEd
                                If Mike Tomlin carried himself with as much poise during yesterday's second interview as he did with reporters, then he absolutely wowwed the Steelers.

Steeler fan websites today are abuzz with excitement about the guy, and now Im not the only one talking about a switch to the cover-2.

In reading some of the recent posts, I'd like to suggest Brett Keisel could perhaps play 4-3 DE, a la Justin Smith of the Bengals (who is also bigger than your average 4-3 DE, but I agree that Aaron Smith could not. Now if you Jet fans want to improve that front-3 for a third rounder, then Aaron Smith could be your guy. He is a pro-bowler, after all.
                                Well, kiss that goodbye...looks like Grimm is getting the job after a 6 hour second interview today...why would you want to switch to a cover two, that be terrible.

Props to Darnik

She was a woman.
                                ^^^^^^
                                OMFG LMAO

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information