Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the Chargers make a mistake in letting Drew Brees go?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RCAChainGang
    Hell yes they should of kept Drew. Rivers, however is not incredibly bad. I mean cut him some slack, 14-2 his first year starting. He did have a great supporting cast, keep in mind.
    When you have LT, Antonio Gates, and that OL, I think almost any QB could do well in his first year, but yes he's still very young.

I do think he'll be a very good QB in a couple years though, but he needs time. And no I don't think they should have kept Brees. They drafted Rivers to be their QB of the future, so you've got to give the guy a chance to be your starting QB.

Plus Brees would have cost waaaaay too much IMO.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
    Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

No. Why keep him when you spent that high draft pick on Rivers? It was the right move and Rivers played very well this season.
      | Hawkeyes || Rams || Lakers || Braves || Avalanche |

Comment

Brees had better receivers in New Orleans. He also had less wins than Rivers. 10-6=2nd seed in NFC, 5th or 6th seed in the AFC. They are both very similar QB's in style.

Marty Schottenheimer would loose if he was coaching the 1985 Bears against the 2006 NY Giants in the playoffs. Giving your MVP running only 9 carries in the 2nd half when you have a lead makes no sense.

Comment

IMO, their mistake wasn't in keeping Rivers as the long-term solution. I think he has already shown that he can lead the team. Their mistake was playing Brees in a meaningless last game in which he was injured, ruining their ability to recover trade value for him.

Comment

Re: Did the Chargers make a mistake in letting Drew Brees go

Originally posted by GiantRutgersFan
            I think they definitely did. Rivers could have been traded for a 1st and 2nd rounder for sure.

Imagine the Chargers with 2 more impact rookies on there team... that would be a dynasty in the making.

Im not sold on the Rivers hype.... He completely collapsed in the last part of the season, whether the media and ESPN decide that they want to report it or not...

And Drew Brees is only 2.5 years older then Rivers
            Do you realize the cap hit the Chargers would have had to absorb if they traded away a guy that was the fourth overall pick of the draft?

Brees was the trade bait all along. He had more trade value than Rivers, and was playing on a one year franchise tender, not a multi-year contract with over twenty million dollars in remaining amortization.

Comment

The facts of this situation are this: they let a above-average, maybe even franchise caliber starting QB go without compensation. That alone is enough to qualify as a "mistake".

Now, does that mean that they should have given him a huge contract and let Rivers languish on the bench? No, of course not. They should have franchised Brees for this year, then tried their asses off to trade him. If nothing else, you could have gotten at least a 3rd for him. AT LEAST. Even if you have to franchise him, bench him for the year and start Rivers, you do it. Quality QBs are just too damn hard to find to let a young, in-his-prime one walk away for nothing. In that respect, yes they made a mistake.

Now, will it cost them big time? No. Would they be better off with Brees than Rivers? I doubt it. Still, they really dropped the ball on this one. I hope they enjoy all that money they saved.
              Originally posted by 21ST
              He was protecting his self
              Originally posted by tjsunstein
              From what? His leg?
              Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
              That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
              "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by cardsalltheway
                I'm now convinced that you're 80Giants10.
                yea me too does anybody know when 80giants was banned

Comment

Re: Did the Chargers make a mistake in letting Drew Brees go

Originally posted by GiantRutgersFan

why? he was the #4 pick in a strong draft class and did nothing to make his stock decrease.

Someone would have given up a first and second round pick for him.
                  No. He had as much starting experience as a rookie would have, and had proven about the same amount. Why would a team trade away the chance to draft a franchise QB for someone that is 2-3 years older, and done the same amount in the Pros? They could have gotten as high as a mid first for him, if they were lucky. Definitely not a first and a second.

Comment

Rivers showed his inexperience in that 3 yrd. pass to Gates in the last 2 minutes of the game. However, he'll get better.

^^Sig From Nvot9
                    J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

Comment

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                      The facts of this situation are this: they let a above-average, maybe even franchise caliber starting QB go without compensation. That alone is enough to qualify as a "mistake".

Now, does that mean that they should have given him a huge contract and let Rivers languish on the bench? No, of course not. They should have franchised Brees for this year, then tried their asses off to trade him. If nothing else, you could have gotten at least a 3rd for him. AT LEAST. Even if you have to franchise him, bench him for the year and start Rivers, you do it. Quality QBs are just too damn hard to find to let a young, in-his-prime one walk away for nothing. In that respect, yes they made a mistake.

Now, will it cost them big time? No. Would they be better off with Brees than Rivers? I doubt it. Still, they really dropped the ball on this one. I hope they enjoy all that money they saved.
                      See, I agree with this. I also agree with the other poster who said that the biggest mistake they made was playing Brees in a meaningless game, in which he ended up sustaining an injury that completely took away his value.

Comment

Chargers record in 2005 with Brees=9-7, 2006 record with Phillip Rivers=14-2

Thanks to Bantx for the cool sig.
                        RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Comment

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine

they will enjoy it because they will be able to resign Michael Turner and have some cap room to play with instead of a large portion of the cap AGAIN being taken up in one position.
                          IN AJ WE TRUST.......

Comment

I don't think they made a mistake. They drafted a guy to be their franchise QB and thats what they truly made him by releasing Brees. And its not like Rivers hasn't been successful this year, and with Brees injuring his throwing shoulder it was a better move to go with the future instead of risk it all on a healing shoulder which could have gone either way. And they couldn't have gotten a first and second rounder, this is real life, not Madden.

Comment

Brees is a top 3 QB IMO and young. I don't see how getting rid of that kind of player can be considered anything but a mistake.

At the time, it wasn't a bad move, they had to pick. In retrospect, it is a different story.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

I don't think they made a mistake. They drafted a guy to be their franchise QB and thats what they truly made him by releasing Brees. And its not like Rivers hasn't been successful this year, and with Brees injuring his throwing shoulder it was a better move to go with the future instead of risk it all on a healing shoulder which could have gone either way. And they couldn't have gotten a first and second rounder, this is real life, not Madden.
                                So Brees shoulder was a risk but starting a rookie QB isn't? Lots of young QBs become busts, teh chargers couldn't be sure that Rivers wouldn't fall under that category. Thats why I have always beleived it was better to keep Brees than Rivers, just a bigger risk.
                                "We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said before chuckling about it. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information