Dominic Rhodes suspended

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by njx9
    does the NFL suspend players for improper stock trading? TERRIBLE example.
    A stock broker can get a DUI, an NFL player can't improperly trade stock. If anyone's example is terrible, it's your counter-example here.

the two organizations are NOT the same and have different standards of conduct (that should've been obvious, but apparently it needed to be said outright). the SEC may very well suspend brokers based on drug/alcohol use. i don't want to read their bylaws and find out, mostly because it isn't relevant.
    Of course the two organizations are different, the only reason I used the SEC as an example is because it, like the NFL, is a governing body over several corporations, a concept that seemed to escape you and others in this thread until I brought up said example.

the NFL has a cut and dried substance abuse policy. let me repeat that just so you get it this time. the NFL has a substance abuse policy.
    A substance abuse policy that, by precedent, DOES NOT INCLUDE DUIs.

a player who agreed to be bound by the NFL rules violated that policy.
    How, given my previous statement above?

thus, the NFL suspended that player. this fits your example.
    No, it doesn't, and I've stated why more than once now.

this is fair by ANY stretch of employment regulations you could think of.
    So it's okay to break precedent just because the new guy wants a tough image? Tell that to a lawyer. This is exactly why I do not like Goodell's reign as commissioner thus far.

gosh... any governing body... that has a say in your personal life... maybe, the government? or was that too easy? should i think a little harder? how about universities? they all have a code of personal conduct for faculty and staff that must be followed both in and out of the classroom. still need more examples? i can keep going.
    Are either of these governing bodies over industries? No. These are irrelevant and entirely different examples from the type of governing bodies I'm looking for, and you know as much.

you're welcome to your opinion as always, but is not, in any way, based in fact or reality.
    Why? Because it disagrees with yours? At some point you'll find that you, like everyone else, are in fact fallible.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
    <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
      A substance abuse policy that, by precedent, DOES NOT INCLUDE DUIs.
      Are you sure?

The illegal use of drugs and the abuse of prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs, and alcohol (hereinafter referred to as "substances of abuse") is prohibited [ftnt 1] for players in the National Football League ("NFL"). Moreover, the use of alcohol may be prohibited for individual players in certain situations where clinically indicated in accordance with the terms of this Policy.
      http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/sports/drugs/policy/football/index.html

Certainly a DUI is an example of "the illegal use of drugs"

Comment

Originally posted by Zim3031 View Post
        Are you sure?

http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/sports/drugs/policy/football/index.html

Yes I'm sure. Unless, of course, selective use of the policy is allowed, which would almost certainly be grounds for a discrimination suit in just about any case not involving someone who had previously been ordered to stay away from alcohol, or, as put there, "certain situations where clinically indicated". If Leonard Little can kill a woman while DUI and never miss a down for it, why is Rhodes suspended for 4 games? Of course, there are several other examples of players not getting suspended for DUIs, Little's case is simply the easiest for me to remember for the egregiousness of it.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Zim3031 View Post
          Didn't see this before. If anything, under what you put there, a DUI would fall under the "abuse of prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs, and alcohol (hereinafter referred to as "substances of abuse")" portion of the definition you gave. By the strictest of definitions, I suppose a DUI could be considered "abuse of alcohol", but any reasonable person would know that that particular terminology intended to deal with players who get addicted to a "substance of abuse", such as an alcoholic. Regardless, by precedent, DUI is not included in the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Comment

that's an unbelievably stupid presumption that has absolutely no basis whatsoever in reality. there's a reason no one has taken that comment seriously since the first time you invented it to make yourself feel better about the times you've driven drunk.

further, iirc, you're still in college. why, exactly, should i believe anything you say about what is/isn't allowed once you have a "career job"?
            I do not know a single person who hasn't driven drunk. Whether they are my age or parents friends, or even grandparents friends. .08 is hardly anything, yet you are considered legally drunk.

I say that to make me feel better about myself? I've driven drunk 3 times, and each time I wake up in the morning and think, why the **** did I just do that.

Which is why I said I would GUESS that you wouldn't get fired. I probably should have added unless you work with a job that driving or something very much life it.

Try to think of one person that drinks that hasn't driven drunk, good luck finding one. Just think back to not only college, but also look at the percentage of people at any given bar or party(especially new years) and tell me that just about everyone hasn't driven drunk.
            I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
            Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by cardsalltheway View Post
              You can't have teams hand out punishments for their own players with the NFL left out of the entire process. You'll have teams that will be strict and keep all their players in line with harsh punishments, and then you'll have teams that will, for the most part, let their players do whatever they want with very little punishment. You have to have an unbiased body that gives out consistent punishments.
              Why not leave it in the hands of the team?

If a particular team shows a constant disregard for character (see the Bengals) then expect them to get the full force of negative publicly. Eventually fans will get fed up and stop spending money on the teams. Also expect a poor team unity and less discpline on the field which will directly lead to more losses.

If I open up a TV factory tomorrow and hire all ex-cons to do my labor to save on costs, nobody is going to care. It doesn't matter if all of them are free on bond or not. I could even hire OJ as my COO. It is my company and the state isn't going to crack down on me for having a "troubled work force". I'll certainly suffer through with unreliable workers but it's my choice and it's my company to run.

Comment

my coach coached him back in highschool

Comment

Originally posted by someone447 View Post
                  I do not know a single person who hasn't driven drunk. Whether they are my age or parents friends, or even grandparents friends. .08 is hardly anything, yet you are considered legally drunk.

I say that to make me feel better about myself? I've driven drunk 3 times, and each time I wake up in the morning and think, why the **** did I just do that.

Which is why I said I would GUESS that you wouldn't get fired. I probably should have added unless you work with a job that driving or something very much life it.

Try to think of one person that drinks that hasn't driven drunk, good luck finding one. Just think back to not only college, but also look at the percentage of people at any given bar or party(especially new years) and tell me that just about everyone hasn't driven drunk.
                  I know plenty of people that haven't driven drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by Moses View Post
                    I know plenty of people that haven't driven drunk...
                    I know plenty of people who don't drive drunk, but I don't know anyone who hasn't at least once, whether it was in high school, college, or some time later in life.
                    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I fully support this suspension. I believe the NFL players should be held to higher standards than the "common man" because of the attention they get and the fact that they are role models for many people. A DUI is a serious offense and how does it look if Rhodes gets a DUI and nothing happens to him? Alcohol is a drug and driving over the legal limit is what I would consider abuse.

I'm sure a lawyer will try to fight this one for Rhodes but it won't work. The league will win this case and a new precedent will be set that players can be suspended for recieving a DUI.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

Does it really matter? I mean, you could probably put LT behind that line and still have a below average running game.

Comment

Originally posted by someone447 View Post
                          I know plenty of people who don't drive drunk, but I don't know anyone who hasn't at least once, whether it was in high school, college, or some time later in life.
                          I'd say you're probably in the minority in that regard.

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information