• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raiders sign Donovin Darius

Link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2931931

thoughts?

Sucks for Schweigert, but I guess maybe Donovan won't play the whole year or all the time.

I wonder what kind of deal Darius got, anyone know?

Comment

I'm kinda suprised we signed him. We have too good young saftey's in Huff and Schweigert. I'm guessing the main reason he was brought is he could be a good leader. He's also good against the run.

Thanks to jackalope

Comment

Originally posted by portermvp84 View Post
        I'm kinda suprised we signed him. We have too good young saftey's in Huff and Schweigert. I'm guessing the main reason he was brought is he could be a good leader. He's also good against the run.
        thats what i was thinking.. i mean this guy was a good player and a good person off the field if im not mistaken.. i mean the raiders have nothign to lose here...

Sig By Diehardvikingfan

Comment

Good signing by the Raiders. Not good news for Schweigert though.

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

Bottom line is Raiders want Huff at FS and Schweigert could become trade bait. Lane Kiffin let Darnell Bing move back to SS so maybe Darius will hold down the SS spot till Bing is ready.

But yeah this sucks for Schweigert
            Taking a Knapp.

Comment

Originally posted by NIN1984 View Post
              Bottom line is Raiders want Huff at FS and Schweigert could become trade bait. Lane Kiffin let Darnell Bing move back to SS so maybe Darius will hold down the SS spot till Bing is ready.

or could it be Schweigert sucks?

Comment

Schweigert was apart of the #1 Pass D in the NFL and no he doesn't suck. is he a pro bowl type player? no, but he doesn't suck.
                Taking a Knapp.

Comment

I like the Darius signing because he's a true SS and it will allow Huff to move to FS, I'm just wondering where we got the money to sign him.

Comment

Originally posted by Stash View Post
                    I like the Darius signing because he's a true SS and it will allow Huff to move to FS, I'm just wondering where we got the money to sign him.
                    back pocket? Wallet? Back Account?

Sig By Diehardvikingfan

Comment

Originally posted by NIN1984 View Post

Bottom line?

The real bottom line is that Rob Ryan is employing a secondary without a set strong or free safety this year. It's gonna be Huff playing left safety (with Fabian) and Schweigert playing right safety (with Nnamdi).

I can only assume that the addition of Darius means that Ryan will just sub a lot in the secondary, something he did last year anyway. Last year Derrick Gibson was often employed in a 4th pseudo-linebacker role, and that seems like the best bet for Darius to take over at, and the best bet for Bing to play in the future.

Comment

They had a very good secondary last year. Obviously if they felt they needed Darious, maybe things arent going how they hoped so far in pre training camp and they needed a boost?

Comment

They have a very, very young defense. Darius provides veteran leadership to a secondary that is especially young. This allows Huff to move around more because he is probably one of the most interchangeable DBs in the league.

Comment

this signing doesnt make a lot of sense to me to be honest. I am a big Donovin Darius fan but I feel like we have two great young safeties in Huff and Schweigert. I cant see Huff getting the bench and Schweigert has shown steady improvement for year to year and I feel like he is a natural playmaker to a degree. Regardless, I guess this means Huff moves to FS and Darius starts at SS. This should help our run D, which was the biggest weakness of our defense and he adds veteran leadership so Im ok with the signing. the contract numbers are 3 years/7 mill so its a pretty reasonable deal...I assume Kiffin will allow there to be competition for the starting jobs at S but at the end of the day its hard to see Schweigert beating out Huff or Darius. Regardless, Im a big fan of Darius and Im happy hes putting on the silver and black.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                              Bottom line?

The real bottom line is that Rob Ryan is employing a secondary without a set strong or free safety this year. It's gonna be Huff playing left safety (with Fabian) and Schweigert playing right safety (with Nnamdi).

I can only assume that the addition of Darius means that Ryan will just sub a lot in the secondary, something he did last year anyway. Last year Derrick Gibson was often employed in a 4th pseudo-linebacker role, and that seems like the best bet for Darius to take over at, and the best bet for Bing to play in the future.
                              yes, this is very true...While I assume Darius and Huff will be starters in the base package, it wont be that simple. We have a lot of good DBs with different skill sets and I would expect Ryan to sub a lot and use some different packages and looks. Im really excited about the defense, it is a great mix of youth and veterans with a lot of talented players who should continue to improve and we also appear to have excellent depth and a lot of weapons at Rob Ryans disposal.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information