Freeney Signed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raiderz4life View Post
    I think at this point Freeney is a bit overrated. He's been overpaid. Let's hope he shows some reason to warrant all that money because i like Dwight and would hate to see him have another sorry season.
    Sorry season? Considering the help he had defensively (practically none until the postseason), I'd say he had a pretty solid season. The DT play was atrocious at times, the LB play was atrocious at times, and the secondary play was average, but terrible against the run. The DEs were the only consistently good players on the defense, and it showed.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
    <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

I'd say he gets double digit sacks for the next 3-4 years. But I doubt he would have excepted a deal in that range, considering he would hit the market in his early 30s. But for these next few years he will wrack up sacks. Too much, but what free agent isn't now adays? A good guard (Derrick Dockery) is now getting upwards near 50 million!
      Virginia Tech.
      ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
        I think i posted an article a while back from rotoworld about how freeney wanted a 30 million signing bonus. I never thought he would actually get it though. But in today's FA, you pretty much have to overpay.
        Well, it's all about how much of the salary cap the player is taking up. This year, considering the deal saved the Colts $3.68 million on the cap this year, that means Freeney will be making $5.75 million this season against the cap, or 5.38% of the Colts' cap room, assuming no adjustments from the league-wide $107 million cap. He's definitely worth that to the Colts.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Comment

That's a lot of money (), more than I would have paid personally, though I can't say I completely shocked. Salaries are continuing to rise in tandem with the cap, and the market was going to get here soon enough anyways with other DEs like Julius Peppers and Terrell Suggs. Heck, obscene money was paid to Mario Williams without having played a single snap, because of want for a franchise, playmaking DE.

Polian and Irsay signed off on the extension, they obviously think things will work. That said, Tarik Glenn leaving in FA was pretty much given but now Bob Sanders and Dallas Clark likely will as well, unless some things happen - e.g. Manning and Harrison sign new contracts - within a year's time.
          Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
            That said, Tarik Glenn leaving in FA was pretty much given but now Bob Sanders and Dallas Clark likely will as well, unless some things happen - e.g. Manning and Harrison sign new contracts - within a year's time.
            Uh...why? The cap will increase, and Glenn's salary coming off the books will more than cover the increase in Freeney's contract. I think one of two is a goner (my choice in that unenviable situation would be Clark), but not both.

Comment

We'll see, I guess. Let's see how Sanders fares playing a full season first.
              Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                We'll see, I guess. Let's see how Sanders fares playing a full season first.
                As I recall he did pretty well at that in 2005.

Comment

Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
                  Well, it's all about how much of the salary cap the player is taking up. This year, considering the deal saved the Colts $3.68 million on the cap this year, that means Freeney will be making $5.75 million this season against the cap, or 5.38% of the Colts' cap room, assuming no adjustments from the league-wide $107 million cap. He's definitely worth that to the Colts.
                  Your looking at the small scale, not long term. You gave him 30 million dollars in a signing bonus and his contract is averaging 12+ million dollars in the first 3 years. That will hurt more then his production will help.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
                  On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
                  Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

Originally posted by BigDawg819 View Post
                    Your looking at the small scale, not long term. You gave him 30 million dollars in a signing bonus and his contract is averaging 12+ million dollars in the first 3 years. That will hurt more then his production will help.
                    No, I know where the money to cover his contract is coming from. That's why Tony Ugoh was drafted. The team decided that a young playmaking DE was more important to keep than an aging LT.

Comment

Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
                      No, I know where the money to cover his contract is coming from. That's why Tony Ugoh was drafted. The team decided that a young playmaking DE was more important to keep than an aging LT.
                      So in other words, keeping Freeney who is coming off a down year is more important then protecting Manning's blind side. Wow thats risky......

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
                      On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
                      Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

So in other words, keeping Freeney who is coming off a down year is more important then protecting Manning's blind side. Wow thats risky......
                        Considering Glenn is 4 years older than Freeney, and while Glenn is a fantastic player, it isn't in the same tier of OTs than Freeney is for DEs.

I really don't get why people are saying this is bad. Freeney is a premiere player and he got a premiere contract. He is in his prime, relatively young, and ridiculously important to the franchise. To say that was too much money is ridiculous because the market has changed. There are above average offensive guards making 7+ million a year, Joey Porter got $20 mil guaranteed. Freeney is a top flight player at a premier position, him getting that money or that length of contract is not absurd at all.

And even if you think all of that is ridiculous, there aren't many, if any, front offices than the Colts, they won a super bowl with something like 2 players from FA starting, at least give them some room for error, considering they haven't made many in the past.

That is correct comahan
                        I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                        <3 dg

Comment

How is Freeney a premeier player...he doesn't play the run very well and his pass rushing skills seem to have diminished from 06 to 07.

Comment

They're replacing Tarik Glenn, not simply letting him walk without a plan.

Comment

Originally posted by simms2clayton View Post
                              How is Freeney a premeier player...he doesn't play the run very well and his pass rushing skills seem to have diminished from 06 to 07.
                              You've never heard of pressures, right?

Comment

Blah. This screws up the Will Smith negotiations.
                                The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information