Clear All

• remix 6
    started a topic Freeney Signed

Freeney Signed

6 years $72 million per ESPN

• Dam8610
    replied
    Originally posted by Geo View Post
    I would: (1) have Freeney play the run more instead of the continual 9-tech BS that we had to endure - with Cato June manning WLB behind him no less - until the 06 playoffs (better late than never, I guess)
    Actually, it was usually worse than that most of the time, as Gardner was usually overpursuing...err..."manning" SLB behind him.

Leave a comment:

• draftguru151
    replied
    Originally posted by ShutDwn View Post
    It must be nice playing Houston every year too? Does Freeney not compile sacks against piss poor competition as well? Conveniently, Freeny's best game (3 sacks, 3 FF) last year came against the Bengals without their starting LT Levi Jones. Freeney was a stud in 04 too, but this is 07, and he only had 5.5 sacks last year.

As for the pass rush situations, Peppers is a strong side DE and he has to pass rush with more caution than Freeney because it is his job to stop the run most times. Freeney has more freedom to go straight to the QB. Not to mention Freeney is almost always going to be coming from the QB's blind side.
    And it won't that mean Freeney will be going against the better pass blockers opposed to Peppers who goes against the inferior ones?

Leave a comment:

• ShutDwn
    replied
    You also think the Houston Texans will make the playoffs this year and that they were right to pass on Reggie Bush, Shiver. :p

I'll take Freeney over Peppers. Peppers was an absolute stud in 2004, but it's 2007 and he disappears from games more than Freeney now. I'll give credit to Peppers, he does a better job compiling 3-sack games against piss-poor competition (has to be nice playing Tampa twice a year), but I want a DE who can continually pressure the pocket and actually get an elite quarterback like Tom Brady and Carson Palmer off their spot.

Only thing is, I would: (1) have Freeney play the run more instead of the continual 9-tech BS that we had to endure - with Cato June manning WLB behind him no less - until the 06 playoffs (better late than never, I guess); and (2) bring in more talent at DT to make the interior stout instead of a sieve, thereby actually *gasp* provide Freeney with situations to pass-rush, much like Carolina has done continually for Peppers through the Draft and Free Agency.

Also, Freeney interests me as a 3-4 OLB, as a fan of the 3-4 defense myself. Not that the transition will come before Coach Dungy retires.
    It must be nice playing Houston every year too? Does Freeney not compile sacks against piss poor competition as well? Conveniently, Freeny's best game (3 sacks, 3 FF) last year came against the Bengals without their starting LT Levi Jones. Freeney was a stud in 04 too, but this is 07, and he only had 5.5 sacks last year.

As for the pass rush situations, Peppers is a strong side DE and he has to pass rush with more caution than Freeney because it is his job to stop the run most times. Freeney has more freedom to go straight to the QB. Not to mention Freeney is almost always going to be coming from the QB's blind side.

Leave a comment:

• HoopsDemon12
    replied
    Originally posted by Shiver View Post
    I'm not the only one, shockingly. Me and BBD are in one accord.

I pondered that possibility last year. I would have to see how he would handle coverage, but I think he could be very successful in that role personally.
    ya i think he would be a great rusher... i think he will do the same thing jason taylor did as he got older... he lost some of his qucknoess off the ball.. so they stood him up... and he has been succesfull.. i think the colts may do that to freeney aswell

Leave a comment:

• Shiver
    replied
    You also think the Houston Texans will make the playoffs this year and that they were right to pass on Reggie Bush, Shiver. :p
    I'm not the only one, shockingly. Me and BBD are in one accord.

Also, Freeney interests me as a 3-4 OLB, as a fan of the 3-4 defense myself. Not that the transition will come before Coach Dungy retires.
    I pondered that possibility last year. I would have to see how he would handle coverage, but I think he could be very successful in that role personally.

Leave a comment:

• HoopsDemon12
    replied
    ill take peppers over freeney everyday of the week and im thinking its 07....

Leave a comment:

• Geo
    replied

I'll take Freeney over Peppers. Peppers was an absolute stud in 2004, but it's 2007 and he disappears from games more than Freeney now. I'll give credit to Peppers, he does a better job compiling 3-sack games against piss-poor competition (has to be nice playing Tampa twice a year), but I want a DE who can continually pressure the pocket and actually get an elite quarterback like Tom Brady and Carson Palmer off their spot.

Only thing is, I would: (1) have Freeney play the run more instead of the continual 9-tech BS that we had to endure - with Cato June manning WLB behind him no less - until the 06 playoffs (better late than never, I guess); and (2) bring in more talent at DT to make the interior stout instead of a sieve, thereby actually *gasp* provide Freeney with situations to pass-rush, much like Carolina has done continually for Peppers through the Draft and Free Agency.

Leave a comment:

• Shiver
    replied
    I would be shocked if anyone here would take Freeney over Peppers.

Leave a comment:

• 7-11
    replied
    Originally posted by JT Jag View Post
    Julius Peppers is better then Freeney.

He's given JUST as much attention as Freeney is. The difference is in their production.

In 4 less games, he's posted nearly identical sack stats as Freeney. However, he's knocked down 20 more passes (thus killing 20 more plays), and had 80 more total tackles then Freeney did, showing his run defense skill.

The only skill that Freeney has a distinct edge over Freeney in is forcing fumbles--- a testiment to his ability to use his low center of gravity to his advantage in stripping the ball.
    i think its fairly accpeted that julius peppers is a better player, nobody here is arguing that. the only reason freeney is getting more (and im assuming thats why you brought this comparison up) is because he just signed, if peppers was to sign today hed be getting more then this contract.

and dont get caught up with stats in the comparison because peppers' superior supporting cast is going to make it much easier for him thus inflating his stats, all you have to do is watch the film to realise both are excellent players

Leave a comment:

• JT Jag
    replied
    Originally posted by 7-11 View Post
    and anyway id rather a guy that negatively changes the way qb's think and play over a guy whos best asset is that they play the run and pass equally well
    Julius Peppers is better then Freeney.

He's given JUST as much attention as Freeney is. The difference is in their production.

In 4 less games, he's posted nearly identical sack stats as Freeney. However, he's knocked down 20 more passes (thus killing 20 more plays), and had 80 more total tackles then Freeney did, showing his run defense skill.

The only skill that Freeney has a distinct edge over Freeney in is forcing fumbles--- a testiment to his ability to use his low center of gravity to his advantage in stripping the ball.

Leave a comment:

• 7-11
    replied
    and anyway id rather a guy that negatively changes the way qb's think and play over a guy whos best asset is that they play the run and pass equally well

Leave a comment:

• 7-11
    replied
    Originally posted by Moses View Post
    Are you kidding? Freeney is a threat only on passing situations. To state that he changes games more than guys who are a factor on every down is downright stupid.
    name the players then, if he gets doubled on every passing down (which is almost all the time, sometimes even tripled) then that means hes freeing up a man on 50% (roughly) of total plays, which i consider a major impact on a whole

Leave a comment:

• Moses
    replied
    Originally posted by 7-11 View Post
    Id love to hear a list of defenders that you lot think have a bigger impact for their respective teams (when healthy which completely cuts out last year for freeney even though he still was huge for the colts even without the sack numbers or any defensive tackle pocket collapsing help whatsoever)
    Are you kidding? Freeney is a threat only on passing situations. To state that he changes games more than guys who are a factor on every down is downright stupid.

Leave a comment:

• 7-11
    replied
    Id love to hear a list of defenders that you lot think have a bigger impact for their respective teams (when healthy which completely cuts out last year for freeney even though he still was huge for the colts even without the sack numbers or any defensive tackle pocket collapsing help whatsoever)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information