Overrated Underrated Pass-rushers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
    Underated: Kam Wimbley. 11 sacks as a rooke in his first year ever playing LB on an team with no helping pass rush, bad DBs, and a lousy D-Line. He was 3rd in DROY voting, yet the media oustide Cleveland ne'er breathed a breath about him.
    Had a lot to do with the fact that he's on a terrible team that gets little press to begin with. If he was on a contender or in a bigger market we'd be hearing more about him.

Comment

Underated: Kam Wimbley. 11 sacks as a rooke in his first year ever playing LB on an team with no helping pass rush, bad DBs, and a lousy D-Line. He was 3rd in DROY voting, yet the media oustide Cleveland ne'er breathed a breath about him.
      I knew about him, I always follow former Seminoles!

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
      On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
      Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

Originally posted by Moses View Post
        Had a lot to do with the fact that he's on a terrible team that gets little press to begin with. If he was on a contender or in a bigger market we'd be hearing more about him.
        That and the fact that he's a very quiet guy. It's a shame that you can't hardly get on the pro bowl squad if you are a young guy on a crappy team. The Browns sure sucked last year, but Sean Jones and Kam Wimbley were not the reason. Kinda stupid to not vote for somebody b/c they play for the Browns, Cards, Bills, etc.

Comment

Underrated - Aaron Kampman - the guy is a complete workhorse and I'd be surprised if most of his sacks weren't individual effort sacks. He helped that Green Bay defense immensely and even though he's getting some credit, I still see him as under rated.

Overrated - Dwight Freeny - I know he was getting doubled up a lot last year and blah blah blah, but 1 pass rush move isn't going to cut it in the NFL, and he's had to learn that the hard way and I'd be shocked if he ever gets back up to the numbers he's put up in the past. He's a great speed rusher, but RBs can take care of those.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
            Underrated:
            Leonard Little
            Murderer.....

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
            Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

That and the fact that he's a very quiet guy. It's a shame that you can't hardly get on the pro bowl squad if you are a young guy on a crappy team. The Browns sure sucked last year, but Sean Jones and Kam Wimbley were not the reason. Kinda stupid to not vote for somebody b/c they play for the Browns, Cards, Bills, etc.
              thats hardly not true...the cards had boldin, and fitz, boldin was a rookie, and i think fitz his 2nd year, they were terrible both years...dre bly made it with the lions, thats a bad excuse just because those players didnt make it...

did you see who sean jones would of had to beat out to make it?

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Aaron Kampman is the be-all and end-all of pass rushers. Just kidding, but he is a beast who is under appreciated. He led all defensive linemen in sacks and tackles.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobo View Post
                  KVB is one dimensional? He was top 5 in tackles for 4-3 DE's. Now I can guess where this conversation may be headed...."he takes himself out of plays a lot with wide pass rushes". That's true....and it is with many of the top pass rushers. Jevon did it all the time.

If anything, I think that's mostly on the DC. KVB doesn't do it all the time, I imagine it's all about what he's told to run that play. Surely it's not all ad libbing.

I looked up some QB pressure #'s, and KVB was up near the top last year just to get back to pass rushing talk again.

KVB had so little help from the other side of the line last year. We went through a ton of scrub, reject DE's.
                  I don't really agree that tackles disprove he is one dimensional, they are not even an official stat from what I can recall and don't say an awful lot. Tackles behind scrimmage would be a better indication.

All I'm saying is, if he is taking himself out of running plays for whatever reason and focusing on pass rushing, I would like to see more sacks for him to be "underrated", even if it is an overrated stat itself. One dimensional may have been a little harsh though - I really like him, but more pass rushing production like in 05 would be nice. If he does in 07, then we all know he'll be overlooked anyway so I guess he's an underrated player in waiting :)

Comment

underrated. obviously the 2 white guys. kampman and schobel

Comment

Underrated = TRENT COLE

Comment

Originally posted by OzTitan View Post
                        I don't really agree that tackles disprove he is one dimensional, they are not even an official stat from what I can recall and don't say an awful lot. Tackles behind scrimmage would be a better indication.

All I'm saying is, if he is taking himself out of running plays for whatever reason and focusing on pass rushing, I would like to see more sacks for him to be "underrated", even if it is an overrated stat itself. One dimensional may have been a little harsh though - I really like him, but more pass rushing production like in 05 would be nice. If he does in 07, then we all know he'll be overlooked anyway so I guess he's an underrated player in waiting :)
                        Well he's not running down the field 20 yards to get all those tackles. He doesn't get bullied much when one on one against OT's. He usually handles TE's easily. He may not be as stout as Carter was at the line, but not many DE's are (or are 300 lbs). He did have 6 tfl's last year, and 7.5 the year before, both are very good #'s.

Our other DE's take many outside rushes that take them out of a running play. I have to think it's mostly Shwartz's calls to decide how the rush. Maybe that's not how it is, but it doesn't make sense that they're just out there freelancing.

If we get some help from the other side, surely KVB's #'s go back up when he doesn't get doubled as much. Maybe that happens in 08 after we draft Calias Campbell :)

Comment

Defensive ends imo should be measured by impact plays, not necessarily, an INT or a sack, but all sorts of things they do like QB hurries and collapsing the pocket for other defensive lineman to make a play.

None of those things are shown in statistics that you see every day. I wouldn't bother with stats, especially for DEs, it doesn't show how dominant or how ignored they are.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                            I wouldn't bother with stats, especially for DEs, it doesn't show how dominant or how ignored they are.
                            Well, they do, you just have to pay STATS Inc. a ton of money to get the right ones, or keep them yourself.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                            <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Precisely my point, statistics used by most sports writers and analysts to make their decisions are tackles and sacks, ff occasionally. That's not what shows the real story imo.

Comment

As soon as I saw the criteria I knew Geathers would be on there.

I will say the fact that he had the 10.5 sacks didn't impress me because I knew several of them were in garbage time. With that said he has a ton of potential but last years numbers indicated that he played better than he actually did.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information