Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jared Allen suspension reduced to two games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
    yeah Stephen A and especially Al Sharpton are just a couple of idiots who run around accusing people of racism with no credibility.

    Seriously, you guys are ridiculous. Racism does exist in this country and you people who pretend like anyone who brings it up unless it explicit is a nutcase are just ridiculous. No one has even brought up the topic of race and already we have people complaining about how someone might mention that Jared Allen is white as part of the conversation. I cant stand all these ridicuous people complaining about reverse racism and how tough it is for the white man in this day and age.

    Another example of trying to hold down the white man........ :D

    Magical sig by OSUGiants

    SSAEL....... its a new revolution!


    Originally posted by Job
    On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
    Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

    So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

    Comment


    • #17
      OOOOOOOPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS


      I've had a couple of drinks I guess
      Last edited by Xonraider; 07-16-2007, 08:44 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        For the record, I too am very interested about why Jared Allen in particular had his suspension shortened. But, speaking of drinking, since I've been doing so also I thought I'd chime in on a topic that always interests me: race as it pertains to sports. I'm not exactly sure what TheChampIsHere was trying to say but if you think that race is not still a huge factor in sports (and I'm talking the kind that hurts all races) you have your head in the sand.
        For example, I am willing to bet that if I closed my eyes and you read me scouting reports from various NFL draft "experts", I would be able to discern the race of the respective players with 80% accuracy without even hearing their names or schools. Word choice is just one example of a subtle and maybe even unconscious way of minimizing whites in sports. Quick quiz: if I say the words: "blue collar", "deceptive speed", "great motor", "top intangibles", "great character", and "classic overachiever", do you form a mental picture of who I'm talking about? Because I've learned that those descriptors are usually reserved for white players. Nevermind that Bobby Black Guy and Joe White Guy had the same times in the 40, 3-cone, short shuttle, etc. I guarantee one of them is going to be described as explosive and athletic with tons of upside while the other will be physically marginalized.
        I could go on but I don't wanna get too off topic or bore anyone. I've found quite a few honestly objective links that will verify and reinforce my views. If anyone's curious, shoot me a PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
          yeah Stephen A and especially Al Sharpton are just a couple of idiots who run around accusing people of racism with no credibility.

          Seriously, you guys are ridiculous. Racism does exist in this country and you people who pretend like anyone who brings it up unless it explicit is a nutcase are just ridiculous. No one has even brought up the topic of race and already we have people complaining about how someone might mention that Jared Allen is white as part of the conversation. I cant stand all these ridicuous people complaining about reverse racism and how tough it is for the white man in this day and age.

          Because you can't stand the truth.

          Is it fair that a more qualified white man applying for a fire department job could lose out to a less qualified man simply because he is a majority?

          Yes, racism does exist in today's world. Most of it is directed towards whites. I don't know of too many white neighborhoods that a person of difference race will get shot for being there. Perhaps there could be a few in the south but they certainly would be rare. However, every single big city has neighborhoods populated mostly by minorities where if a white man was caught in that neighborhood he would either be mugged, assaulted, or killed.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
            yeah Stephen A and especially Al Sharpton are just a couple of idiots who run around accusing people of racism with no credibility.

            Seriously, you guys are ridiculous. Racism does exist in this country and you people who pretend like anyone who brings it up unless it explicit is a nutcase are just ridiculous. No one has even brought up the topic of race and already we have people complaining about how someone might mention that Jared Allen is white as part of the conversation. I cant stand all these ridicuous people complaining about reverse racism and how tough it is for the white man in this day and age.
            So you dislike racism? But your ok with reverse racism?........interesting indeed
            HALL OF FAMER!
            PUT ART MODELL IN THE HALL OF FAME!
            JUSTIN BLACKMON IS A GOLDEN GOD!

            Xbox Live - Kevown8999

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by EdReedUnstoppable View Post
              So you dislike racism? But your ok with reverse racism?........interesting indeed
              Is that a chick or the egg concept?

              Magical sig by OSUGiants

              SSAEL....... its a new revolution!


              Originally posted by Job
              On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
              Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

              So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by kmartin575 View Post
                Because you can't stand the truth.

                Is it fair that a more qualified white man applying for a fire department job could lose out to a less qualified man simply because he is a majority?

                Yes, racism does exist in today's world. Most of it is directed towards whites. I don't know of too many white neighborhoods that a person of difference race will get shot for being there. Perhaps there could be a few in the south but they certainly would be rare. However, every single big city has neighborhoods populated mostly by minorities where if a white man was caught in that neighborhood he would either be mugged, assaulted, or killed.
                "Most of it" I'm not so sure about but it's definitely a significant part and also one that is frequently glossed over. At any rate you've just prepped this thread for lockdown.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by jared View Post
                  "Most of it" I'm not so sure about but it's definitely a significant part and also one that is frequently glossed over. At any rate you've just prepped this thread for lockdown.
                  Thechampishere would be the one responsible for that.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                    I don't really know why they reduced the suspension if it had to do with race it is just wrong I don't believe it was but if so it is really wrong. That being said this is huge for the Chiefs to have Jared Allen for all our Div games I can't wait to see what Hali and Allen can do with the help we got at DT.
                    On ESPN.com they talked about Jared Allen putting in a ton of time for charity work and stuff. Maybe that's that sets him apart from say Dominic Rhodes who had his first DUI (if I recall) who is stuck with a 4-gamer.

                    From one angle, I can understand that you want to show the people that if you really try to be a good "NFL citizen" they will be more lenient towards you, but on the other hand this is way too easy to make people think someone is getting preferential treatment over others. Especially when the NFL fails to come out and say exactly why this happened.

                    Oldie but a goodie.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      On a local sports show here in KC they said it is the NFLPA keeping the info of why it was
                      reduced on the down low even Jared Allen said in a interview he was shocked that it was reduced. He wanted it to be and was hoping it would be but he never thought it would be. That being said the guy as of now atleast has really turned his life around he has done everything they have asked and then some this guy loves to play football when he was told he couldn't it really opened his eyes. I hope for his sake not only as a football player but as a man he stays clean or if he does drink DON'T drive it is not worth it.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by jared View Post
                        For the record, I too am very interested about why Jared Allen in particular had his suspension shortened. But, speaking of drinking, since I've been doing so also I thought I'd chime in on a topic that always interests me: race as it pertains to sports. I'm not exactly sure what TheChampIsHere was trying to say but if you think that race is not still a huge factor in sports (and I'm talking the kind that hurts all races) you have your head in the sand.
                        For example, I am willing to bet that if I closed my eyes and you read me scouting reports from various NFL draft "experts", I would be able to discern the race of the respective players with 80% accuracy without even hearing their names or schools. Word choice is just one example of a subtle and maybe even unconscious way of minimizing whites in sports. Quick quiz: if I say the words: "blue collar", "deceptive speed", "great motor", "top intangibles", "great character", and "classic overachiever", do you form a mental picture of who I'm talking about? Because I've learned that those descriptors are usually reserved for white players. Nevermind that Bobby Black Guy and Joe White Guy had the same times in the 40, 3-cone, short shuttle, etc. I guarantee one of them is going to be described as explosive and athletic with tons of upside while the other will be physically marginalized.
                        I could go on but I don't wanna get too off topic or bore anyone. I've found quite a few honestly objective links that will verify and reinforce my views. If anyone's curious, shoot me a PM.
                        It goes both ways. How often do you hear a black quarterback's intelligence being questioned, even when they're as good of a decision maker as Jamarus Russell? How often do you hear a white quarterback brought up when we talk about players who might change positions in the NFL? As a nation we have countless stereotypes and preconceptions about people of different races that stretch from the sports world to the business world to everyday life. That's how it is and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

                        Designs by D-Unit

                        ILEMTPKC - I Love Eli Manning <The Patriots Killer> Club

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by cardsalltheway View Post
                          It goes both ways. How often do you hear a black quarterback's intelligence being questioned, even when they're as good of a decision maker as Jamarus Russell? How often do you hear a white quarterback brought up when we talk about players who might change positions in the NFL? As a nation we have countless stereotypes and preconceptions about people of different races that stretch from the sports world to the business world to everyday life. That's how it is and I don't see it changing anytime soon.
                          I agree with you, it certainly does go both ways. But you can change peoples' perceptions by unveiling the BS stereotypes for what they are. I see the stereotypes and the barriers as being greater now to certain white athletes. Black quarterbacks, while they are still given cliche compliments and criticisms, are still very present and to some degree flourishing in this league. The same can't be said for white RB's and CB's. I scan through sites like Rivals.com and I routinely see guys with identical measurements and stat lines but the white guy doesn't get any offers to play tailback except from some obscure school like Idaho. Plenty of schools want him to bulk up and play fullback though. After all that is a much more appropriate position for his skin color. Why is it that most of the white WR's and DB's in the NFL seem to come from a very few select schools out west (i.e. Utah, BYU, etc.)? I actually spent a few hours once combing through all the white WR's listed in the NFL. Many had to go to D1AA or lower just to get noticed. Something like 40+ % of them were college walk-ons. Thats almost HALF! In the NFL! I wonder what the percentage is of black NFL WR's who had to take the tough road of college walk-on because they couldn't get any respect from recruiters. Maybe 5%?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Well, McNair broke Tenessee law and did not get any suspension. (Just throwing it out in the air.)

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by kmartin575 View Post
                              Because you can't stand the truth.

                              Is it fair that a more qualified white man applying for a fire department job could lose out to a less qualified man simply because he is a majority?

                              Yes, racism does exist in today's world. Most of it is directed towards whites. I don't know of too many white neighborhoods that a person of difference race will get shot for being there. Perhaps there could be a few in the south but they certainly would be rare. However, every single big city has neighborhoods populated mostly by minorities where if a white man was caught in that neighborhood he would either be mugged, assaulted, or killed.
                              First of, lemme adress your little shot at affirmative action. First off, its kinda lame to take quotes out of American History X and use them in arguments. Its not a good look. And to me, the premise that affirmative action costs more qualified white people job is extremely racist in itself as it carries with it a belief of white superiority. Affirmative action requires a small amount of minorities to be hired, a number smaller than the actual percentage they make up of our total population. So to say that a company being required to hire SOME minorities means more qualified white employees are being passed over pretty much means you believe that white people can do the job better. This racist belief is the reason affirmative action was needed in the first place.

                              The fact that you really believe white men are persecuted more than blacks and other minorites just tells us how out of touch with the world you are. This is exactly the type of silly crap Im talking about, white people complaining about how hard their lives are, dealing with this horrible reverse racism and at the same time steadfastly denying that minorities, specifically black people, face any kind of racism anymore. Its just a joke. Its not the case.

                              As far as your little thing about the ghettos. Lemme put it like this, ghettos are violent places. It doesnt have to do with black people being violent people it has to do with ghettos being violent, throughout history that is how it has been. Ghettos, places full of poverty and despair, they produce crime and violence. And lemme tell you, it is the people who live there that endure the massive brunt of the harm that comes from the environment, that is to stay, most of the violence in these areas is black-on-black, black-on-brown, etc white people who come into these areas sometimes become subject to the same violence the locals deal with daily. I dont think your accusation that white people are not safe in certain neighborhoods because its full of racist, violent black people has any credibility....more like there are certain places where it simply isnt safe to go for anyone unless you know the right people.

                              Racist tensions still exist and people like to pretend that they dont but it was not that long when we lived in segregation, when blacks were getting lynched in the south, when it was unnaceptable for a black man and a white woman to be involved. This isnt ancient history, it is very recent american history and if you didnt live through those times your parents probably did and your delusional if you think the history of race relations throught american history doesnt still play a role today.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information