Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jared Allen suspension reduced to two games

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/191073.html

Jared Allen was planning to treat the first month of the Chiefs’ schedule as the off season. He was going to head back to Arizona and work out with a trainer much as he did during the spring.

Allen, a starting defensive end, will have to rethink that strategy after learning that the NFL after hearing his appeal reduced his season opening suspension from four games to two.

Allen will not be paid for the two games he misses.
    Last edited by Splat; 07-15-2007, 10:04 PM.

Yeeesssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

It's because he's white, or at least that's what Al Sharpton and Steven A Smith will think.
      HALL OF FAMER!
      PUT ART MODELL IN THE HALL OF FAME!
      JUSTIN BLACKMON IS A GOLDEN GOD!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999

Comment

Originally posted by EdReedUnstoppable View Post
        It's because he's white, or at least that's what Al Sharpton and Steven A Smith will think.
        That's ridiculous. Why does it have to be about race?

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
        WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post

Because that is what it will be made into, all because Jared Allen is white if it were the other way around then it would be no big deal.
          HALL OF FAMER!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
            The guys at PFT have already pulled the race card:

ALLEN SUSPENSION REDUCED

In a surprise move, the four-game suspension imposed on Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen has been chopped in half. Allen will now miss only the first two games of the season.

Frankly, we're confused by this development. Suspensions under the substance-abuse police begin at four games, minimum. However, the reduction could be due to the fact that discipline for DUI charges is now meted out pursuant to the personal conduct policy.

The timeline fits this theory. Allen's suspension was announced on April 27, after the personal conduct policy was revised to bring criminal offenses related to substances of abuse within its scope.

Thus, the rest of the story here apparently is that Allen appealed the four-game suspension handed down under the personal conduct policy, and the guy who issued the suspension -- Roger Goodell -- opted to cut the suspension on appeal by 50 percent.

Alternatively, perhaps the suspension was for two games, with an opportunity to reduce it to two games if Allen stays out of trouble through the first half of July. But if that's the case, Allen's quotes suggest that he wasn't aware of the potential reduction.

If it's true that the suspension was reduced on appeal, there are two items worth pointing out. First, it's not as useless as we previously believed to appeal suspensions under the personal conduct policy, even though a reduction is an implicit admission of wishy-washiness on the part of the Commissioner's office, since the same person makes the decision at both levels.

Second, the league's decision to reduce a suspension for a white player opens the door wide open for criticism of suspensions imposed on black players, if those suspensions also aren't reduced.

Really, why should Allen get only two games for not one but two DUI charges? Despite his various warts, Pacman Jones has never been charged with climbing behind the wheel of a car while under the influence of alcohol or any other substance.

Look, we're not saying that any type of racial bias is at play here. But absent a full explanation from the league as to how and why this happened, we suspect that more than a few folks will be pointing out the obvious superficial differences between Allen and other players who have been suspended of late.

Comment

Did I call it or did I call it. Any time a white guy catches a break its a natural catastrophy.
              HALL OF FAMER!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999

Comment

Did I call it or did I call it. Any time a white guy catches a break its a natural catastrophy.
                Always trying to hold down the white man..........

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
                On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
                Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

Um, from what I can tell, PFT just called it as well, saying others will probably claim it was a race thing. They didn't "pull the race card".

Comment

this is awesome
                    my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                    <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                    <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                    <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                    Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                    What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

LOL, if Stephen A Smith had his way there'd be a march every week.

Comment

Steve A Smith is a moron
                        my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                        <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                        <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                        <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                        Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                        What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Hence my comment :S

Comment

I don't really know why they reduced the suspension if it had to do with race it is just wrong I don't believe it was but if so it is really wrong. That being said this is huge for the Chiefs to have Jared Allen for all our Div games I can't wait to see what Hali and Allen can do with the help we got at DT.

Comment

yeah Stephen A and especially Al Sharpton are just a couple of idiots who run around accusing people of racism with no credibility.

Seriously, you guys are ridiculous. Racism does exist in this country and you people who pretend like anyone who brings it up unless it explicit is a nutcase are just ridiculous. No one has even brought up the topic of race and already we have people complaining about how someone might mention that Jared Allen is white as part of the conversation. I cant stand all these ridicuous people complaining about reverse racism and how tough it is for the white man in this day and age.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information