Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peter King first power rankings are out.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by badgerbacker View Post
    That's basically what I was trying to get at with my first rambling post. Your correlation/causation thing that you brought up is irrelevant to try to prove any kind of point.
    Huh? How is pointing out that the Madden Curse is not true irrelevant?

Comment

• Originally posted by Moses View Post
      Huh? How is pointing out that the Madden Curse is not true irrelevant?
      Please keep in mind that I agree with you that the "Madden Curse" is foolish. I am just trying to play Devil's advocate because I'm bored on a Sunday.

You simply pointed out that being put on the Madden Cover does not CAUSE you to become injured. The fact still remains that there is a high correlation between being on the cover and an athlete getting injured. Look again at the wikipedia article you posted.
      "In other words, there can be no conclusion made regarding the existence or the direction of a cause and effect relationship only from the fact that A is correlated with B" You cannot use the Correlation does not imply causation as a way to say something is false, it can simply use it to say that further investigation is needed.

Comment

• If Vince Young gets hurt it will be because he is a running Quarterback, not because he's on the cover of Madden. It isn't a coincidence that most scrambling Quarterbacks have a lot of injuries. The odds are against him staying healthy because of that fact. Norm Chow is even telling him to run more in '07.
        Last edited by Shiver; 07-23-2007, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by badgerbacker View Post
          Please keep in mind that I agree with you that the "Madden Curse" is foolish. I am just trying to play Devil's advocate because I'm bored on a Sunday.

You simply pointed out that being put on the Madden Cover does not CAUSE you to become injured. The fact still remains that there is a high correlation between being on the cover and an athlete getting injured. Look again at the wikipedia article you posted.
          "In other words, there can be no conclusion made regarding the existence or the direction of a cause and effect relationship only from the fact that A is correlated with B" You cannot use the Correlation does not imply causation as a way to say something is false, it can simply use it to say that further investigation is needed.
          Common sense would dictate that being on the cover of a video game would have no effect on your on-the-field play in real life. The whole Madden Curse is based on the fact that certain Madden cover athletes have been injured. Since this is just a coincidence (correlation, not causation), it is a meaningless "curse". We're mostly agreeing here.

Comment

Working...
          X

Debug Information