breakout players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
    The thing about Edwards is his QB situation is atrocious. I don't think he will excel until Brady Quinn develops.
    Yeh i guess, looking at the guys you listed Edwards and then maybe Matt Jones or Michael Jenkins would be the next two guys (team situations aside) with the most unrealised upside
    Page 49, Atlanta Falcons Gameday Thread- Best...Page...Ever

Comment

Rams possibilities:

Tye Hill, Cornerback
      Ronald Bartell, Cornerback
      Claude Wroten, Defensive Tackle
      Will Witherspoon, Linebacker
      | Hawkeyes || Rams || Lakers || Braves || Avalanche |

Comment

Frddy Keiaho has been mentioned. Isee a big year for him, and the Colts always seem to be able to produce pretty good linebackers. I was on the JP Losman bandwagon before this past year, and I'm still on it. He's going to become a heck of a player. Ryan Fowler will have a great year if he wins the MLB job in Tennessee. I also see Manny Lawson becoming the focal point of the SF defense. Jerious Norwood will become a great RB because I think we all know that Dunn is getting very close to being done with.

BoneKrusher

Comment

i think this is Antrel Rolle's breakout. Hes got some better talent around him..new scheme that will attack the QB more and i think he'll step up and be consistent and make plays.

i also think DeAngelo Hall wakes up and plays to the hype he had 2 years ago

QB: Carr ..yes. Delhomme will get hurt or play poor..Carr gets in and takes over.

RB: Henry..hes with Broncos offense..what more do i say?

WR: Evans. 1 of the most underrated players in the league. He'll get some recognition and be top 3 in league receiving

TE: Graham. Hes going to be in an offense that will give him opportunities. Underrated receiver, great blocker. Watch out

too tired to to Defense. off to bed.

Comment

My top-10 breakout players:

(in no particular order other than off the top of my head)

1. Mario Williams - He has all the talent in the world, his problem is lacking the experience to utilize his gifts. Young defensive lineman rarely come into the league right away and dominate. The position takes time to learn technique necessary to succeed in the trenches. What will also help him is he now has a dedicated position, rather than being moved around like last year. He will also be healthy, which was an ongoing problem as a rookie. I expect a dominant year as a run stuffer and around double digit sacks as a pass rusher.

2. Vernon Davis - Vernon Davis' is just a scary thought. He has the tool set that inspires fear into opposing NFL defensive coordinators. He struggled mightily in the first three games of the year, culminating in a broken leg against the Eagles. When he returned though he brought along with him more knowledge of the offense and he quickly dissipated the notion that he was 'just a workout warrior' as some claim. In the month of December he had 217 yards, 2 touchdowns on a 15.5 YPC basis. Those are fantastic numbers for the TE position. All of those stats despite Alex Smith overthrowing him deep, twice while open. You could almost add another 100 yards and two more touchdowns had Smith been accurate. He drew praise from Mike Nolan regarding his blocking, which was a weakness of his in college. Another year under his belt and with Alex Smith, and he may out do every other TE not named Antonio Gates.

3. Freddie Keiaho - As Geo has pointed out, he could be excellent. The Colts didn't let Cato June just walk away for no good reason. They see something in this guy. He is the typical Tampa 2 WLB. The Colts have done an excellent job of allowing established players leave (Mike Peterson, Edgerrin James, etc) while inserting a young player to fill his role.

4. Jason Peters - The mammoth Left Tackle from Arkansas, Jason Peters was excellent in the last half of the '06 campaign. The converted tight end has the athleticism and pure size (6'4" 340-lbs) to be a dominant player. He flashed his abilities last year and I expect him to make a pro bowl this year.

5. Cedric Benson - Benson is a prototype sledgehammer. The "old school" running back as it were. What he lacks in home run speed, elusiveness and impact on the passing game, he makes up for with down hill running down the throat of the defense. Once the Bears started to give him more and more carries, he improved. He is the kind of player who only runs harder as the game goes on. Without Thomas Jones in the picture, I anticipate a 300-carry season for Benson. I would not be surprised if he ended up with numbers you'd expect from say Rudi Johnson.

6. Mark Clayton - The biggest mistake the Jacksonville Jaguars made was when they took Matt Jones, a converted QB/workout warrior, over Mark Clayton. I expect that they will regret that move for some time. Clayton has had stretches of dominance. Now with McNair being more acclimated to the offense and him being in the golden third year for the WR position, I think he will be a 1,100+ receiver in '07.

7. Sean Taylor - He's reportedly slimmed down to allow him more flexibility. The Redskins added a competent safety besides him. He is the most talented safety in the NFL. All of those three elements should contribute to a breakout campaign. Sean Taylor should be the best safety in the NFL. Thus far he's been a major disappointment. I think this year he will finally become the player we all thought he would be back before the '04 draft.

8. DJ Williams - The Al Wilson era is over in Denver. Now it's time for DJ Williams to ascend. He's been stuck in the black hole that is typically the SLB position. There is a reason that IDP fantasy leagues typically avoid SLB like the plague. Now he moves inside. The addition of Jim Bates helps, as he is known for allowing his Middle Linebackers to make plays sideline to sideline.

9. Jason Campbell - Al Saunders' offense is infamous for it's girth and difficulty to master. Jason Campbell was decent last year, but word is he has been lighting up mini-camps. For the first time he's been able to actually progress in an offensive system. As a Redskin and a Auburn Tiger he hasn't had that luxury until just now.

10. (homer alert) Michael Boley - With all I've been through, I should get to brag about what little is going right with my team. Michael Boley will be a stud. He has everything you look for in one of those late round gems, talent that can be molded. Every once in a while those types pan out. Boley excels because of his versatility. He is a 6'3" 236-lbs athlete who can play Safety, SLB and RE. In fact, he did so last year due to injuries. He's strong, fast and can fly. Best of all is he's shown a great work ethic and has been molded by Keith Brooking to turn his talent into on the field productivity. Last year he showed a nose for the ball, being involved with three sacks, two interceptions, one forced fumble and three fumble recoveries.
            I agree with most everything but, Sean Taylor just made the pro bowl, he still has more to prove, but he hasnt been a complete disapointment

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

QB: Alex Smith, JP Losman, Jason Campbell and David Carr. Possibly Charlie Frye.
              HB: DeAngelo Williams, Cedric Benson, Caddilac Williams, if he gets good blocking. Homer Pick: Vernand Morency
              WR: Vincent Jackson, Greg Jennings, Reggie Williams, and Braylon Edwards.
              TE: Vernon Davis
              OL: Daryn Colledge, Jason Spitz, and Jason Peters.
              DL: Mario Williams and Mark Anderson
              LB: DJ Williams and Freddie Keiaho (I'll jump on the bandwagon)
              DB: Nick Collins

A few homer picks, but all pretty realistic

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Im just saying Troy Williamson because of this little eye thing. Maybe it helped him out and now he can actually see the ball to catch it instead letting bounce of his shoulder pads.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
                  I agree with most everything but, Sean Taylor just made the pro bowl, he still has more to prove, but he hasnt been a complete disapointment
                  True, but his ceiling is so high that he could be one of the best to play the game. Hopefully Landry pans out and it forms that Reedish/Taylor Miami combo back from the U :)

Comment

The thing about Edwards is his QB situation is atrocious. I don't think he will excel until Brady Quinn develops.
                    The QB play won't be nearly as bad as it was last year because we upgraded our line a TON this year.

Comment

Originally posted by bantx View Post
                      vincent jackson will have pro bowl stats next year
                      Vincent Jackson is the most overhyped player this year and has done squat to earn his high ranking. I have seen fantasy rankings with him above guys like Hines Ward. That is insane.

I hope he is a complete failure. I'm sick of these guys who get so overhyped even though they have proven nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575 View Post
                        Vincent Jackson is the most overhyped player this year and has done squat to earn his high ranking. I have seen fantasy rankings with him above guys like Hines Ward. That is insane.

I hope he is a complete failure. I'm sick of these guys who get so overhyped even though they have proven nothing.
                        how stupid can a post be

Comment

Originally posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
                          Rams possibilities:

Tye Hill, Cornerback
                          Ronald Bartell, Cornerback
                          Claude Wroten, Defensive Tackle
                          Will Witherspoon, Linebacker
                          also...

Pisa Tinoisamoa - LB

Richie Incognito - OG

Tim Sandidge - DT

Comment

Originally posted by KCJ58 View Post
                            also...

Pisa Tinoisamoa - LB

Richie Incognito - OG

Tim Sandidge - DT
                            I see no reason why Sandidge would breakout. The Chiefs picked him up for a short time last year and with how thin our depth was at DT and considering we still have no proven stars if we thought he was going to be any good I would think we would have kept him around. Perhaps the Rams see something the Chiefs don't though.

Comment

KC: Napoleon Harris, Jarrad Page, Jeff Webb
                              my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                              <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                              <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                              <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                              Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                              What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Potential Buc Breakout Players:

Barrett Ruud, MLB - In his first season as starter, taking over for Shelton Quarles, he enters a position which is relatively important in Tampa's defense. Filling Shelton's shoes is no easy task but I think Ruud is up to it.

Alex Smith, TE - If Gruden involves him in the game on a more frequent level we could see a guy getting 50-60 catches with 4-5 TD's.

Cadillac Williams, RB - I know he had a good rookie campaign, but last year he suffered with injuries, a poor O-Line and being targeted by opposing defenses due to a lack of a passing game. This is his chance to prove doubters wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information